Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless poster posted:

begun to . . . . ?

you must not have been around at launch. people immediately noticed that quality of life stuff from DS2 was painfully absent from DS3. maybe people get less hyperbolic talking about it now, but it's not some big secret that was just uncovered.

I don't know what to tell you, people were making GBS threads on DS2 like crazy (perhaps especially on SA?) and it's not until lately that I've heard people spoken of it positively. I'm sure a lot of it was hyperbole, but remember how much the word "B team" was being slung around?

Unrelated, I've started to hate the DS lore "community" and their weird conspiracy-boner for Velka. It has gone from theories to "WE TOTALLY KNOW THIS" and it's so dumb. People "totally knew" that Solaire was the firstborn and look how that turned out. Who even started all this new poo poo?

It's like,
"If you look closely, there's sky above Anor Londo. What creature spends a lot of time in the sky? Birds. Do you know what creature is a bird? A raven. Ravens are a symbol of Velka. Concidence? Maybe.. but consider this. Gwynevere lived in Anor Londo, and if you ROT15 Gwynevere's name you'll get "vlnctktgt". VL. Short for VeLka."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Unrelated, I've started to hate the DS lore "community" and their weird conspiracy-boner for Velka. It has gone from theories to "WE TOTALLY KNOW THIS" and it's so dumb. People "totally knew" that Solaire was the firstborn and look how that turned out. Who even started all this new poo poo?

It's like,
"If you look closely, there's sky above Anor Londo. What creature spends a lot of time in the sky? Birds. Do you know what creature is a bird? A raven. Ravens are a symbol of Velka. Concidence? Maybe.. but consider this. Gwynevere lived in Anor Londo, and if you ROT15 Gwynevere's name you'll get "vlnctktgt". VL. Short for VeLka."

I know I literally just said something about this but the entire idea that there is suppose to be a hard answer for a lot of things in Dark Souls is just stupid. People should be encouraged to look at the information themselves and make their own conclusions about the world and talk about it, but there are also a ton of people out there who really want there be a firm answer. I guess it's just a symptom of the nerd culture where there's an autistic level of attention to lore and detail - even if they literally mean nothing or only exist to provide context to a plot point.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually agree, the people who use other peoples lore as rote truth are weird to me. The entire point is that your interpretation will be different. It's especially bad when people get super defensive about which version is right, because it stifles discussion and makes everything an endless circle of this guy is correct and good and no reason to ever think of new ideas about the lore.

Like the Solaire thing, someone thought it was true and shared it and then everyone just kept piling on. I actually liked the theory but I had other ones that also worked, and with current knowledge I think he just met the Firstborn after he'd been exiled and began following his teachings of brotherhood and Jolly Cooperation, which was one of my other thoughts about Solaire and the Warriors of Sunlight even before DS3. After all the Nameless King managed to become brothers with his fathers ancient enemies and cooperates with the King of Storms fully and wholeheartedly.

Bloodborne and Maria also have this problem, someone says that the Old Hunter's Bone is Maria's and she's buried at the Hunter's Workshop and then nobody listens when you point out that it makes far more sense for that to be Gehrman's tombstone, especially considering it's his Nightmare not Maria's, and she's entombed within the actual Clocktower in Yharnam. As there's a pretty suspicious coffin beneath the clock and anyone else being entombed there makes even less sense.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its understandable for people to be disappointed that some of those flaws still exist when its the third and final entry in the series.

It just could of been so much moreeee :saddowns:

Well if they make another Souls they're going to have step up their game, because Nioh runs all over Dark Souls when it comes to mechanics. Enemies that work by your rules so confidently you can see their stamina bar, a massively improved interface, zero load times after a death, solid 60 frames at all times, a loving awesome stance system, etc.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
If they just remade DS3 in DS1's engine I'd buy it ten times.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

unless you typod that those would hopefully be the only 10 copies sold

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

VerdantSquire posted:

I know I literally just said something about this but the entire idea that there is suppose to be a hard answer for a lot of things in Dark Souls is just stupid. People should be encouraged to look at the information themselves and make their own conclusions about the world and talk about it, but there are also a ton of people out there who really want there be a firm answer. I guess it's just a symptom of the nerd culture where there's an autistic level of attention to lore and detail - even if they literally mean nothing or only exist to provide context to a plot point.

The truth is dark, but whole.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Well if they make another Souls they're going to have step up their game, because Nioh runs all over Dark Souls when it comes to mechanics. Enemies that work by your rules so confidently you can see their stamina bar, a massively improved interface, zero load times after a death, solid 60 frames at all times, a loving awesome stance system, etc.

Convinced me to download that demo today.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is anyone willing to trade a set of Lothric knight leggings and Herald armor with me?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The trees with little fires in the beginning of the DLC trailer make me think it's not a snowy castle/zone but all ash. Ash Castle.

Also, I got grabbed by one of those zombies with the maggots coming out of it in Irithyll dungeon while I was rolling away, but the game didn't even have the decency to teleport me into the enemy, so it turned into the zombie Force Choking me like Vader.

^^^You can get the Herald armor right after the Crystal Sage bossfight I think, it's on a body next to the fat enemy in the next little area.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That happened to me once and it just clipped me through the floor and killed me. v:v:v

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Deified Data posted:

Convinced me to download that demo today.

If you do try it:

The combat system isn't 1:1 Souls - it's much closer to Way of the Samurai with a Dark Souls stamina system on top. The stamina has the equivalent of a shooter active reload system - and that's one of the few advantages you get over enemies. You can take about as much damage as they can, and you deal about the same and you have about as much stamina - but you're the only one who gets an instant refill/0-regen delay mechanic. The timing isn't well explained in the game - it wants you to hit the button when the particles around your character flash after an attack/combo.

Nioh also punishes mashing even more than Dark Souls, but you get some cool stuff out of the tighter timing. You have 4 directional bloodborne dashes by hitting dodge, and you can turn them into dark souls rolls by hitting dodge a second time. Also omni-directional DS2 style running while locked on. The lock-on is also much better, and goes much farther.

Enemies using stamina mechanics and that being a visible bar also means they can make combat much nastier than in DS - essentially (almost) every fight against a human is a red-eye knight fight and there's a bunch of blue-eye knight equivalents in there too (they're ones with enough poise to not stagger instantly - which is a killer).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

So why haven't you? (Seriously, DS3's engine is a modified version of DS1's with some hacks to insert stuff from DS2 and BB.)

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah I think DS3 being made with DS1's engine is its most crippling flaw, they completely disregarded all the positive changes ds2 made for no reason other than "gently caress ds2"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tetracube posted:

yeah I think DS3 being made with DS1's engine is its most crippling flaw, they completely disregarded all the positive changes ds2 made for no reason other than "gently caress ds2"

It was almost assuredly because the DS3 engine is just a repurposed Bloodborne engine. They already had a next gen engine ready with BB when DS3 was coming down the pipeline; going back to the DS2 engine to bring it (graphically) up to snuff would've meant extra development time.

Even then, I'd hardly say it was its most crippling flaw. The engine isn't the thing that held the game back, unless they ran into some weird complications we don't know about that massively delayed production (which I doubt, given that it's an engine they'd all been working with for some time now).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Um.

DS2 used the same engine as DS1.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tallgeese posted:

Um.

DS2 used the same engine as DS1.

Clearly a crippling flaw. DS3 should have been made exclusively in Build

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

skasion posted:

Actually, that's an even larger condemnation of DS3, which has even less of an excuse as to why it rips stuff straight out of DS1 to the point that some of the same bugs and hacks are present.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Can I get some advice about Gwyndolin's bow? Is it a decent weapon, at least? I kinda want to try and build a character for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

Well that would at least make my dream of doors that kill you like mimics a reality.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

If you do try it:

The combat system isn't 1:1 Souls - it's much closer to Way of the Samurai with a Dark Souls stamina system on top. The stamina has the equivalent of a shooter active reload system - and that's one of the few advantages you get over enemies. You can take about as much damage as they can, and you deal about the same and you have about as much stamina - but you're the only one who gets an instant refill/0-regen delay mechanic. The timing isn't well explained in the game - it wants you to hit the button when the particles around your character flash after an attack/combo.

Nioh also punishes mashing even more than Dark Souls, but you get some cool stuff out of the tighter timing. You have 4 directional bloodborne dashes by hitting dodge, and you can turn them into dark souls rolls by hitting dodge a second time. Also omni-directional DS2 style running while locked on. The lock-on is also much better, and goes much farther.

Enemies using stamina mechanics and that being a visible bar also means they can make combat much nastier than in DS - essentially (almost) every fight against a human is a red-eye knight fight and there's a bunch of blue-eye knight equivalents in there too (they're ones with enough poise to not stagger instantly - which is a killer).

Yeah, I'm treating it a lot like I'd treat an early-game Bloodborne encounter and quickstepping around enemies and attacking their backs. Those armored samurai with the heavy axes are especially nasty since they don't always end their combo when you expect them to, but at least they're slow.

I'm dying a lot more than I would in a Souls area I'm not familiar with, not because of the unfamiliarity of the game's mechanics (they're almost instantly accessible) but because the enemies are a lot more punishing when they gang up on you. There's a couple of encounters where I haven't found a way to pick off parts of the mob with rocks yet. Then I found a yokai portal and got my poo poo pushed in.

There's probably a Nioh impressions thread though so I'll go there.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tetracube posted:

DS2 is actually a bad game

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

lite_sleepr posted:

This is a wrong opinion.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
More hitbox chat: TolomeoR, the streamer who completed a no dodging/blocking/parry run of DS3 has flat out said that DS3's hitboxes are among the worst he's ever seen, even worse than DS2 which is famously poo poo on for that reason, it's just that roll spam is so overpowered in DS3 it doesn't get noticed nearly as much. This is not limited to grab attacks like a lot of people have been saying in this thread. Here are some fun examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcS5N7IVsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlM71KuhxA

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That pontiff one is hilarious.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Oh god is anyone able to help with Ocerios on ps4? I forgot about him on my ng+4 rin, I just want to sunbro at Champion.

Edit: got the fucker.

Veg fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 28, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chuch posted:

More hitbox chat: TolomeoR, the streamer who completed a no dodging/blocking/parry run of DS3 has flat out said that DS3's hitboxes are among the worst he's ever seen, even worse than DS2 which is famously poo poo on for that reason, it's just that roll spam is so overpowered in DS3 it doesn't get noticed nearly as much. This is not limited to grab attacks like a lot of people have been saying in this thread. Here are some fun examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcS5N7IVsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlM71KuhxA

This is a fun observation but it's hard to paint "DS3's hitboxes suck if you refuse to dodge, block, or parry" as a real issue.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Deified Data posted:

This is a fun observation but it's hard to paint "DS3's hitboxes suck if you refuse to dodge, block, or parry" as a real issue.

It's easy with that Lorian fight.

What a shiteheap.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Hitboxes - like all collision volumes - are always coarser approximations of the visible model geometry/animation and have been "over-extending" more or less forever, and they always will. There's never not been garbage grabs/moves you had to learn your way around. People just selectively pick a sample set according to their bias anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm going through the Grand Archives at the moment (looking forward to the princes fight, hoo boy) and I'm now fully convinced that rats and thralls are the worst enemies in the game as they solely exist to stunlock your poo poo.

The red-eye knights are stupidly fast for their heavy armour and the outrider knights can gently caress right off, but at least they're in shorter supply.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'd say my bias of being hit with a weapon that I am 90° offset from is bullshit indicative of lovely coding.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deified Data posted:

Motherfucker the dude was standing behind Pontiff and died when he thrust his sword forward from a neutral position. That has nothing to do with handicapping yourself.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
He obviously should have avoided the attack he had no way of knowing was going to hit him, even though that's a contradiction

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This is a joyless thread for grim people with haggard, bitterness-drenched beards

Embrace the fuckups of the fifth game and appreciate the 99% of moments where it works, in all its janky approximation of designer's intent - I do not need perfection with a compelling enough concept

How the gently caress do you think I ended up playing through Demon's Souls and loving it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You will find that demon souls is flawless thank you very much.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Maybe true for vanilla 2, but I think SotFS is better than 3 is at the moment. And I say that admitted that I never grew to like the parries of 2 and tended to shy away from using piercing swords, which were my go to weapon in DS1 and NG in DS3.

Although I miss the espada ropera and its AR.

Torquemadras posted:

This is a joyless thread for grim people with haggard, bitterness-drenched beards

Embrace the fuckups of the fifth game and appreciate the 99% of moments where it works, in all its janky approximation of designer's intent - I do not need perfection with a compelling enough concept

How the gently caress do you think I ended up playing through Demon's Souls and loving it

I sort of agree with this, and think that DS3 usually works quite well. However, it has issues that are hard to ignore, especially if you do a lot of PvP.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fire Barrel posted:

And I say that admitted that I never grew to like the parries of 2 and tended to shy away from using piercing swords, which were my go to weapon in DS1 and NG in DS3.

DS2 is the one where I use thrusting swords the most.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Fire Barrel posted:

I sort of agree with this, and think that DS3 usually works quite well. However, it has issues that are hard to ignore, especially if you do a lot of PvP.

Conversely, they are extremely easy to ignore if you do not give a poo poo about PvP

I was always in it for kickass dungeon exploration, with tense situations, ambushes, traps and downright evil room setups. Multiplayer was, at best, incidental: it's fun to ward off a crazed onslaught of auto-invaders, gently caress around with confoundingly friendly invaders, have mexican standoffs with unexpected wild phantoms. But at its heart, this just isn't a multiplayer game. There's no lobbies, you wait forever if you're serious about PvP, connections are too janky. That's why I'm so glad when, in some interview way back, the developers said that they're never going to forget the offline players. They know what's up. A Souls game without awesome dungeons is bad. Which is why I've never warmed up to the duller parts of DS2, even if it works more consistently overall.

Of course I'd like things to work perfectly, but the priorities lie elsewhere, and I'm in the fortunate position that my interests in this series align with that. Perhaps, with new content, we'll get some honest astonishment and sense of wonder back, at least for a while, before it's back to smugly refuting imaginary accusations against A or B teams, lamenting the loss of poo poo poise systems and arriving at the conclusion that, after 200 hours of playing, that this game is indeed the WORST

Do yourselves a favor: stop playing DS3 until the DLC, DS3 will remain excellent even in your absence, I hear there's Nioh coming up and it looks pretty sweet, at this point indulging in subpar multiplayer is unhealthy for all involved

This is the least passionate meltdown ever

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A nice benefactor bestowed upon me

- 40 embers
- 10 of the 50,000 soul souls
- Lothric set
- Silver knight shield
- Black knight glaive
- Black blade
- Havels ring

And a few other goodies. For no reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fire Barrel posted:

It's an okay game, but it's not the sort of game that should have been the climax of the series, nor should it have been the kind of game produced after From Software's been producing these sorts of games for years and years on end. It's not a refinement of the formula from before; it's reheated leftovers.