Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
anybody else at Richard Thompson's memorial? i am on the upper floor trying not to cry while waiting for it to start

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

These are amazing. Poor, poor Mark.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1919)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (July, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big) (July, 1930)

The Gay Thirties (December 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (November 1939)

Mopsy (May, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (September 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

True North

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wasn't there a story where Spider-Man went to the Avengers (Captain America and Iron Man) and he got to their HQ in the dark and they beat him up? I don't remember if it was just us deciding it was so or if it was actually implied that they knew it was him all along.

This might be the one you are thinking about, but it's likely that Spider-Man just gets beaten up by everyone that he knows.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Slammy posted:

Feiffer is so goooood.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

This might be the one you are thinking about, but it's likely that Spider-Man just gets beaten up by everyone that he knows.

Maybe Lee only gets to put other characters in the strip if he agrees to have them show up punching Spider-Man in the face.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aardmania posted:

No, that's definitely another example though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A quick punch is just how superheroes say hello.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hrmm, I wonder if the next few strips will be them walking into the meeting late because they went directly to the courthouse and got married.

Their relationship is so poorly written. Brad is such a dependant, nagging little wiener. That's it, that's his whole personality. Why would Toni want to marry him? There seems to be nothing between them. The relationship between Hil Forth and Jon managed to be more emotionally compelling, and they're teenagers. The worst part is I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction is accurate. Or they just put the wedding on hold but still remain together.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully she'll walk into traffic and generate some drama.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Ok, I think I found the right trespassing strip this time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just can't get enough of watching Spiderman get bricked and punched in the head. :)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Buh. And I even checked the credit box. I guess my explanation is that Terry Beatty's signature totally looked like two different handwritings to me.
CK still gives Woody Wilson a credit on their RMMD page too. It looks like Beatty's been pulling both writing and art duties since May though.

He has a blog which until now I don't think I ever looked at. Here's part of a post where he talked about how he's retconning some stuff and getting complaints.

quote:

And let me address the house origins once again. Yes, I'm rebooting/retconning some elements in the strip so we can move forward, unencumbered by decades of largely inaccessible continuity. The strip has, aside from four comic books in the 1950s, never been reprinted in book form. King Features does not have a complete run of it in their files. There are years and years of the strip that I have no access to whatsoever. I'd love to see Frank Springer's run on the feature -- but aside from a handful of examples on the web -- it's no where to be found. I have a few clippings from Fernando DaSilva's run -- but no complete stories. King's online archive begins toward the end of the Tony DiPreta period -- October 1998.
There's some more if anyone wants to read it. I really just can't believe the syndicate doesn't have a complete run on file somewhere.

Edminster posted:

anybody else at Richard Thompson's memorial? i am on the upper floor trying not to cry while waiting for it to start
poo poo. I forgot about that.

Slammy posted:

Wow. That's a helluva comic.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

I'm 12 years old.

Secret Agent X-9

"It must be cops. No one else would have a reason to fly into Iowa."

Apartment 3-G

The Joker is pleased to hear that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

In Soviet Union...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Today's guest star: H. P. Lovecraft.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Johnny Walker posted:

poo poo. I forgot about that.

it was very beautiful. i ended up ducking out at the bagpipe interlude i was crying too hard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Idiot Phantom Child's mother works for the UN. How did the topic of "Do we really want to send our idiot son into Chinese Tibet with no paperwork and no local languages?" never come up?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Can Kit not just beat this guy's rear end now that he's put his gun away? Has the future Phantom met his match in "some random Chinese cop that isn't even expecting a fight?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah totally forgot about the Thompson memorial until my reminder popped up. At 12:45.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why the hell would she play "In Too Deep" when he did a far more well known and appropriate breakup song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjEcIANv1o

Okay it doesn't send a particularly good message either but it's the better song.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'm 12 years old.
Me too, because I laughed at it. :allears:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

Idiot Phantom Child's mother works for the UN. How did the topic of "Do we really want to send our idiot son into Chinese Tibet with no paperwork and no local languages?" never come up?

Clearly they just want to be *sure* that Heloise inherits the title.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Selachian posted:

Today's guest star: H. P. Lovecraft.

H.P. meant "hire purchase", basically the same thing as rent-to-own is now (also called "the never-never"). That bloke will be collecting this month's bill for their TV or something similarly expensive. (Actually probably not their TV, as those were usually straight rentals, more likely white goods like a cooker or fridge.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 29, 1929)

Peanuts (August 30, 1969)

Funky Winkeryup, Bull's Got The Brain Damage

Petty Acts Of Litigationshaft

And now, Mr. and Mrs. Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 17, 1930)

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

EasyEW posted:

:smugdog:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

I'm glad they reset the entire universe just to get this panel and troll the gently caress out of commenters. Worth it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's the rest of Brad's torso?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aardmania posted:

Ok, I think I found the right trespassing strip this time.

It's just canon that everybody in Newspaper universe knows his secret identity and is trolling him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ghostlight posted:

It's just canon that everybody in Newspaper universe knows his secret identity and is trolling him.

Especially J Jonah Jameson.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Calaveron posted:

Every single moment of Brad and Toni's relationship has been disastrous. There's no heart warming moments or parts that make you go you go guys :unsmith:. It's been nothing but dumb decisions (lets hold our wedding on 9/11 and have it catered by a guy who blew up his food truck on purpose!) and misery (let's hate every single loving moment we have to take care of this neglected, attention starved child, that is every moment we don't pawn her off to someone else) since its inception.
Make it stop

quote:

Either elope or stay single and live together. Of course you may not be able to adopt Shannon if you’re not married but since Toni is Shannons aunt it should be no problem to have her live with them. BTW, is she saying she can’t go thru with a big wedding, with marrying brad, or marrying at all? BTW2, I never did like brad.

quote:

This won’t be permanent, but… it could mean we don’t see a wedding for some time, maybe until April 1rst (Which would match with the engagement!)

quote:

I presume “this” in Toni’s comment refers to the wedding. She and Brad need to consider whether “this” actually means the marriage. A couple that can’t communicate and that wants such different things has deeper issues than a 6-page list of wedding decisions. Do these two people really share much in common, when they consider their future plans?

quote:

I think she means she can’t handle the planning meeting right now. You’re all reading too much into it (which is typical for here).

If, come Monday, I’m right about this, all of you predicting the wedding itself is off or delayed will be required to take a full month off from commenting. (It’s either that or I hand out more of my awards.)

quote:

This happens to almost every wedding or pre-marriage. The dramatic redoubt. A retreat from too much pressure by one partner, shocking to the other, but usually, if the partners love each other, and these two do, and there is good communication, catching breath, listening, accommodation and compromise it should work out. There are a lot of issues here, but nothing that can’t be worked out and faced. This is the time to step up to the plate Bradley. You want this woman then you need to find out what she needs and give it to her. Good preparation for marriage by the way. I think he will do that, but Sunday I know it will be something on life foibles.
Is this true?

quote:

At the level of metafiction, Brad can never marry Toni. Charlie Brown can’t make babies with the Little Red Haired Girl. It violates the laws of comicland.
Brad exists as a foil for Luann, a buffoon. As the strip has evolved away from broad to more nuanced humor it has made sense to clean Brad up. But take that too far, and the character loses most of his comic potential.
Toni originates as a femme fatale. Mysterious with dark secrets. As a character, she verges on the possession of agency, but she works best as a prop. Either we eventually get to know her…at which point she stops being capital T Toni Daytona…or she has to reestablish her distance, or even leave the strip (as Aaron Hill did).
Marry Brad and Toni and Brad turns into a responsible adult and Toni into a housewife with a career. That’s not the Luanneiverse.
Now Toni disappears and Brad and TJ wind up (somehow) with Shannon. That’s comic gold. Perhaps a girlfriend or wife down the road for one of them…but someone just as goofy as they are…someone who drive Luanne a bit crazy. Like I said, comic gold.

quote:

“She Blinded Me, With Silence” (♪)
“Time And Space”
“…You Just Turn Your Pretty Head And Walk Away” (♪)
“Toni, With A Tiger In Her Tank”
“Too Fast For Daytona”
“A Straight, Clean Exhaust”
“Tired And Treading”
“Blinded By The Light” (♬)
“Mister Amiss”
“What’s Going On?” (♬)
“Into The Bewildered, Blue Eyed Yonder”
“You Can Look At The Stars And Still Not See The Light” (♪)
“Stumped, Rootng For Triage”
“If You Leave Me, Now” (♪♬)
“Every Time You Go Away” (♪♬)
or
“Walk, Don’t Run” (♬)

quote:

OH-MY-GAW!!!!
Toni got OUT and (GASP) WALKED Away! Didn’t See THAT ONE Coming! (Rolls Eyes)
Nice Going, Brad! Now Go Run to Old Smiley for some Predictably BAD Advice on how to ‘Patch Things Up’ and thereby Give Your Wedding Plans a Proper Viking Funeral.

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

goatface posted:

Just because she's his mother doesn't mean she has to like him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

:3: I've said it before, I'll say it again: Rip and Breezy are my favorite couple in comics.

The Classic Dinette Set breaks up a set.

Working Daze has been sitting on this one for a week.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix leaves us hanging.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Actually, I think old things are better than new things.
- A young person"
-An old person.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke.

Worker: "Thank God it's Friday."
Boss: "You're Welcome."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Shades of Luann, today's Pogo bomb also involves a breakdown of communication. Except, y'know, the part where it's entertaining. It is too. Shut up. (August 21-23, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (April 25-27, 1955)

Out Our Way (September 30-October 1, 1929)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

Zits

Johnny Walker posted:

CK still gives Woody Wilson a credit on their RMMD page too.
Those info pages on Comics Kingdom almost never get updated. The character ones are worse than the author ones, but they're almost all out of date in some way.

Shugojin posted:

Especially J Jonah Jameson.
Nah, Jameson is the one person who genuinely doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen

Crop! Rotate! Zoom! Enhance!

Some of these are from Oct 4th, 2015, the rest are from July 3rd, 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

• Locked thread