Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kenzie posted:

What the hell is it with alt-right nerds and anime? I don't watch anime so is there something in there that appeals to fascists? Looking in the alt-right twitter world, like with the people harassing Leslie Jones, there are legions of anime avatars screaming about SJWs and blah blah.

Are we facing a jackbooted fascist movement marching under the banner of a cutesy little nazi anime girl?

Also, a lot of anime has the normal sci-fi fantasy power fantasy thing going on and that kind of stuff attracts these guys like flies to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I think one key difference though is that Japan is quiet about it, nor does it have the ugly history of a country splitting civil war. The gajin insult is well known, but beyond that, they're pretty quiet about the homophobia and sexism (at least what I see here). The homophobia is starting to die off (literally), and the sexism possibly? Grain of salt and whatnot.

Uh... that really depends on when you stop paying attention to their history, dog.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chilichimp posted:

Uh... that really depends on when you stop paying attention to their history, dog.

Let me rephrase that then, it doesn't have the ugly history of a civil war that /keeps on getting brought up/ like the US's does.

I think anyway (could be wrong, will again concede the point if I am).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

isn't the dude who does attack on titan a straight up japanese nationalist and/or has excused war crimes in korea?

I believe that was the author of GATE actually.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't GATE the one where a portal to a mysterious fantasy realm is discovered, fantasy armies come out of it and start killing people then the GLORIOUS JSDF just massacres them all with tanks and assault rifles then goes through and starts shooting everyone and everything they find and they're presented as the good guys? Cause yeah that checks out to me.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dabir posted:

Isn't GATE the one where a portal to a mysterious fantasy realm is discovered, fantasy armies come out of it and start killing people then the GLORIOUS JSDF just massacres them all with tanks and assault rifles then goes through and starts shooting everyone and everything they find and they're presented as the good guys? Cause yeah that checks out to me.

So it's Evil Outbreak Company?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dabir posted:

This uhh, sounds pretty cool. Wanna see a frost giant eat an antitank mine.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

This uhh, sounds pretty cool. Wanna see a frost giant eat an antitank mine.

Don't get the wrong idea. The main character is an otaku and the story's about all the fantasy girls that love him.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Don't get the wrong idea. The main character is an otaku and the story's about all the fantasy girls that love him.

That's Outbreak Company. The one where they go through the portal and try to spread otaku culture, instead of killing everyone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I was reading the JSDF Gate manga and his multiple love interests kept piling up and I decided to stop reading it. I don't know if I ever heard about this Outbreak Company, but if it's even worse than I'm glad.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I don't know about Attack on Titan's author being Fascist or w/e but it does have serious German Fascist Overtones.

To be fair though, almost every manga has Nazis at this point, Japan just does not give a poo poo about the morality of Nazis, they just think they look cool or something apparently. These days it seems like usually the Nazis are the bad guys (See Bleach, where the Germans were the last arc's antagonists), but even poo poo like Kinnikuman and Kinnikuman Jr., which are comedy pro-wrestling manga, have characters who are heroic who are literally straight up Nazis (Brocken and Brocken Jr.), though that series does have a lot of stereotypes overall.

GATE is a whole nother bucket of fish. GATE was originally written as an online story by a former JSDF member. It is incredibly nationalistic and xenophobic; the author believes that the JSDF is the greatest army in the world, and if America wasn't holding it back, the JSDF would have taken over the world or whatever. When the gate opens up, not just Japan but many different types of special forces go into it to examine the situation. This results in some amazing poo poo.

For instance, at one point the JSDF kills a bunch of special forces guys on a covert mission. They identify them as the US because 'Only the United States uses black people in their special forces'.

Later scenes include a member of the Diet going 'man, I'm remembering all those times that people in wars have conquered, oppressed, and mistreated people they conquer. Japan has never done that, and I really hope they never do.'

The actual story has been toned down from it's original jingoistic nationalism over time; from internet essays to novels to light novels to the manga, then the anime, each time being cut down on the militaristic ideas.

Apparently the anime can hide it well enough that people don't even notice and will adamantly argue that it definitely doesn't exist, which is impressive because even the Manga is blatant as all hell.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think "What if some modern army dudes with modern weaponry fought Caesar's army" is a fun idea for an episode of GI Joe or something but I can't imagine making a whole series out of it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Republicans posted:

I think "What if some modern army dudes with modern weaponry fought Caesar's army" is a fun idea for an episode of GI Joe or something but I can't imagine making a whole series out of it.

Fables did an alright job with their 'fantasy land with dragons and wizards gets loving wrecked by modern weapons' story arc

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah no the main focus absolutely is on the boring otaku MC and his weirdly out of place harem, but the setting they're put in is 'wow the JSDF sure is awesome at killing absolutely everyone'.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Isn't Fables just some thinly veiled pro-Israel stuff?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ShortStack posted:

There's a scene in the run up to the war that is explicitly pro Israel nonsense but outside of that one section it can be largely ignored

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KiteAuraan posted:

Even if he's not, the series is pretty fascist. It's evolved into a story about a corrupt civilian government that can't do anything right and a glorious, noble military fighting for the people.

Yikes, and I thought it was becoming the Japanese answer to Lost. In a "Introduce new bullshit mystery element into the story" kind of way.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Yikes, and I thought it was becoming the Japanese answer to Lost. In a "Introduce new bullshit mystery element into the story" kind of way.

Good news, IT'S BOTH! Really, it's a terrible series and the whole "Humans besieged by monster" story was done better by Sidonia.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Getting off Japanese nationalism for a bit, I want to see RWM spin this:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/769593683859628033

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

His coffee server was sick so he only got his venti at 13:45

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ShortStack posted:

its not, but at one point one of the main characters definitely draws a parallel between the fables-in-exile and israel that's too out of place to be anything but the author sockpuppeting for a bit

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

There's a scene in the run up to the war that is explicitly pro Israel nonsense but outside of that one section it can be largely ignored

Yeah I didn't catch much but when the main character goes off about how them fighting against a genocidal empire is comparable to modern Israel (which is the one country he specifically chooses to identify with as an outsider from a fantasy world) and how their methods of loving over anyone that messes with them is a noble it made me think twice about what I was reading.

It was pretty out of place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

iospace posted:

They'll spin it exactly how you'd expect.

"Trump is right. See how awful things are under your Dem black president! Hillary will be more of the same.":smug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Yeah I didn't catch much but when the main character goes off about how them fighting against a genocidal empire is comparable to modern Israel (which is the one country he specifically chooses to identify with as an outsider from a fantasy world) and how their methods of loving over anyone that messes with them is a noble it made me think twice about what I was reading.

A funny Israel reference I remember was some anime... I don't remember what it was about, but a couple characters go somewhere, and the older guy tells the younger that the place is crawling with foreign agents. He starts pointing at people and saying 'that guy's CIA, that one's KGB', then he points at a dog, 'that dog? Mossad agent.' I really wish I remembered what it was about, or the name or anything apart from that scene.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

-insert standard "it's ok, he's republican" line here-

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

iirc the author makes a big point about how the arabian folklore characters are working hand in hand with the western folklore characters as equal partners

also they weaponize sleeping beauty by sneaking her into the enemy capital and having her prick her finger, putting the whole city to sleep

it's a weird series that really has nothing to do with israel making that comparison even more baffling

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

And this level of spewing stereotypes is his "outreach" efforts. I would hate to have seen how bad he'd have been about us during his primaries if he hadn't had Mexicans and Muslims to target instead.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

And this level of spewing stereotypes is his "outreach" efforts. I would hate to have seen how bad he'd have been about us during his primaries if he hadn't had Mexicans and Muslims to target instead.

You mean The Central Park Five and how he likely still thinks they did it? Even now.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

iirc the author makes a big point about how the arabian folklore characters are working hand in hand with the western folklore characters as equal partners

also they weaponize sleeping beauty by sneaking her into the enemy capital and having her prick her finger, putting the whole city to sleep

it's a weird series that really has nothing to do with israel making that comparison even more baffling

Here are the page with the Israel comparison: http://imgur.com/a/3aq85

Definitely a weird thing to suddenly bring up in the story, and if anything fabletown should be the terrorists in the metaphor, but w/e. Not that I'm recommending the series as a whole, but it has its moments

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXl0S1UYF5w

The slow destruction of FoxNews this year has been quite an interesting thing to witness, I look forward to Trump's new channel he'll be starting with Bannon and Ailes.

God drat. This is some real unrestrained crazy. Like, just crazy thing after crazy thing just being shot at you with extreme casualness. Fox News is in the bag for Hillary. Garry Johnson is a tool of the establishment. Huma Abedin is worshiped in a Saudi Arabia as a god. Robert Byrd was Grand "Cyclops" of the KKK until the day he died. Glenn Beck was scared of Ron Paul. Just rapid fire thing after thing.

There's something broken with me that I find those ladies very attractive now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah that one thing was really weird and out of place. The comic is all over the place morally with one character using non-passive resistance to defeat an army and another that eats children to gain magical power and everyone looks the other way because they need her. The Israel thing was the only time there was a blatant call out which is why is sticks out so much. It feels like he read something in the news that pissed him off and he couldn't help but cram it in.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

To be fair, his families are much more financially secure (as long as they stick to the non-disclosure agreements)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
also the Telltale game version was bad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

For instance, at one point the JSDF kills a bunch of special forces guys on a covert mission. They identify them as the US because 'Only the United States uses black people in their special forces'.

That reminds me of the amazingly terrible novel Unintended Consequences. The protagonist ended up in the middle of an FDA raid while visiting a gun shop of a friend of his (the FDA assumed the place would be empty at the time). He notices that the group doing the raid includes women, nonwhites, and even nonwhite women, and from that immediately concludes that this could only be a gang of criminals come to rob the place. He proceeds to murder them all in cold blood, and from there goes on a surprisingly Al-Qaida-like terror campaign to make the US government repeal all gun laws ever.

Actually, if you've the time to spare and/or hate yourself, give the Let's Read of it a try. It's just completely insane. :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

also the Telltale game version was bad.

Most Telltale games are bad that's not Fable's fault.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought it was always obvious in Fables that Snow White was an amoral fascist. I actually thought that was kind of part of the charm that it turned out they're all pretty twisted monsters which is why Bigby is just one of the rest.

I mean, Prince Charming is plainly presented as a con man and borderline rapist. That seemed like it established things right from the start.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the amazingly terrible novel Unintended Consequences. The protagonist ended up in the middle of an FDA raid while visiting a gun shop of a friend of his (the FDA assumed the place would be empty at the time). He notices that the group doing the raid includes women, nonwhites, and even nonwhite women, and from that immediately concludes that this could only be a gang of criminals come to rob the place. He proceeds to murder them all in cold blood, and from there goes on a surprisingly Al-Qaida-like terror campaign to make the US government repeal all gun laws ever.

Actually, if you've the time to spare and/or hate yourself, give the Let's Read of it a try. It's just completely insane. :allears:

One of the books has the UN send the LITERAL GOLDEN HORDE to America because of *reasons*, right? God those books were off the rails.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kenzie posted:

What the hell is it with alt-right nerds and anime? I don't watch anime so is there something in there that appeals to fascists?
You guys are thinking way too deeply into this, it's really very simple:
Japan was an Axis power and teamed up with Hitler.
And if Japan was good enough for Hitler, then drat it- they're good enough for the alt-right!
When it comes to races whites are allowed to tolerate, they're "the good ones".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
It's been a few years since I followed it at all, but last time I read it, Attack on Titan was pretty explicitly anti-fascist.

One of the more recent plot developments when I last read it was the military coup succeeding, only for the general they put in charge to turn out to be crazy and obsessed with punishing the nobility with bizarre enemas.

The basic concept lends itself to a really obvious fascist/nationalist reading though; it's just that the author went out of his way to offset that. Not sure what's happened since.