Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DisDisDis posted:

What's the difference between CoE and Dominion? Simpler/no god customization but with procedural maps?

coe focuses more on small-scale conflicts in that instead of moving province to province you're moving on a much more zoomed-in map with towns and whatever all laid out in tiles. there's no 'gods', just the specific leader of your faction, and turns involve you spending action points to move commanders and the like around or to perform rituals or attack or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's no 'gods'

As soon as the Voice of El hears about this you're sooo going to get smited.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish the demonologist demons were bigger than normal units. Some of those demons can wipe your army and theyre as big as a spearman.

If i got strong units i want them to be huuge like the witch monsters.

Also raising a shade army from a battleground and then phase shifting to thr dead realm and strolling through the map to your enemies base rules.

E: also no joke about el being autoplay. I didnt think id done anything but my inquisition and crusade had pretty much cleared the map for me.

Gonna try some 1v1 games tonight vs high difficult

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The necromancer faction leader appeared to just be a necromancer, just one that started at Rank 2 Necromancing instead of rank 1.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the games definitely aren't roguelikes but the interests probably do overlap a tiny bit. the devs of coe4 and dom4 are...shaky at best, but if nothing else the weird nations and the like in dom4 and coe4 are neat to look at.

http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

this thing is like a big encyclopedia for dom4 and you can check out the various nation by going to the unit tab, setting the lower dropdown to 'available' and checking the 'national only' box. then using the upper dropdown to select the nations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The flying necromancer thing that explodes when it dies and respawns at base is my spirit animal

ed: I fought some neutrals with my troll king in a forest then it said one of my units had drowned and it was my troll king

Isaac fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 26, 2016

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Isaac posted:

The flying necromancer thing that explodes when it dies and respawns at base is my spirit animal

ed: I fought some neutrals with my troll king in a forest then it said one of my units had drowned and it was my troll king

Were you accidentally fighting on a frozen lake? That's my #1 troll king killer.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Benly posted:

Were you accidentally fighting on a frozen lake? That's my #1 troll king killer.

There was a river that could have been frozen to the north but i was pretty sure i was on a forest.

Anyway tonights good game was doing the summon army spell with the demonologist and getting an army of demon cavalry and locusts. Took on an enchanters main army and only just lost. Im blaming RNG for screwing me on a 150 sacrifice. I'd like to play this multiplayer but i feel like the turns are so quick it'd take forever to play a game with someone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Benly posted:

I played an illusionist and had one of my floating eyes die to a melting river, somehow, even though it's supposed to fly.

Illusionist is pretty fun for having lots of map knowledge. You get a level 1 ritual to spawn an invisible eye as a scout to just wander around and see stuff for you, and later on you get the ability to scry anywhere on the map and eventually to teleport your whole army around.

You can send like 5 swordsmen carrying a mirror across the map and then when they're right outside the gates your main army just jumps out of the mirror with a giant pile of catapults and phantasmal beholders.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I played an illusionist and had one of my floating eyes die to a melting river, somehow, even though it's supposed to fly.

Illusionist is pretty fun for having lots of map knowledge. You get a level 1 ritual to spawn an invisible eye as a scout to just wander around and see stuff for you, and later on you get the ability to scry anywhere on the map and eventually to teleport your whole army around.

You can send like 5 swordsmen carrying a mirror across the map and then when they're right outside the gates your main army just jumps out of the mirror with a giant pile of catapults and phantasmal beholders.
Necromancers get a level 1 ritual to spawn a bird to do much the same thing. It only has the default view range and doesn't seem to prioritize going into unexplored territory, just wandering randomly.'

Also I just realized that your own dead people count for raising zombies as necromancers, don't they? So you should buy some cheap poo poo whenever you get a chance just to pad things out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The floating eye is nice because it's invisible so it doesn't get randomly killed by deer all the time like the druid bird (and I assume the necro bird as well?), which just has stealth.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah they die a lot too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eschatos posted:

Remember, your most valuable resource is not troops or money, but your remaining shreds of sanity. Don't raise dead except where there are lots of bodies, and don't raise dead with your good necromancers unless you can't avoid it.

The hands down best thing about hobbitmancers is the manufacture of flesh golems (which happen to pair well with infinite swarms of tiny crossbowmen).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tried out CoE4 -- had two short-lived games as random factions, then decided to try necromancer.

:catstare::respek::zombie::respek::black101:

It started out slow, having a bit of trouble hiring more necro apprentices to keep the corpse train rolling, but I was at least not getting constantly owned by indeps like my last two games.

Then my necromancer learned Greater Summoning, so I started casting it whenever possible. At first it spat out a wraith, then a death knight, both highly appreciated. Then it produced this:

I did not expect Tartarians to be available this early in the game!

In short order it produced a second Tartarian, two Dracoliches and an Abomination. :stare:

My forces now consist of hundreds of slow, weak, expendable zombies led by dead gods, and I'm expanding rapidly as a result. I still haven't figured out how to invade the Netherworld -- my wraith knows how to Plane Shift, but can't take anything with it -- but that's next.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's interesting watching this thread react so positively to CoE4. At release I remember Dominions players being incredibly harsh about its shortcomings.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's interesting watching this thread react so positively to CoE4. At release I remember Dominions players being incredibly harsh about its shortcomings.

Probably because the AI in Dominions is legendarily bad, causing Dominions players to not be favorably predisposed towards a mainly singleplayer game. That and the multiplayer has nowhere near the strategic depth of Dominions. They do play nothing alike.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eschatos posted:

Probably because the AI in Dominions is legendarily bad, causing Dominions players to not be favorably predisposed towards a mainly singleplayer game. That and the multiplayer has nowhere near the strategic depth of Dominions. They do play nothing alike.

Is the AI in CoE not legendarily bad? That's the main concern that's kept me from buying it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's been good enough to give me some good fights so far, though i don't know how it'll hold up as i get better at the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Whats this CoE game? That screenshot looks kinda like Dominions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's Dominions' simple cousin. Same company and many of the same sprites. But instead of having a big sprawling empire across many provinces it has all the little towns and features inside something more like a province or 2.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And this is a roguelike? I guess I should :google: some.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And this is a roguelike? I guess I should :google: some.

No, but a roguelike set in Illwinter's weird world would be :krad:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the AI in CoE not legendarily bad? That's the main concern that's kept me from buying it.

Well yes, but it matters a lot less in CoE. In Dominions your main threat past the first few turns is other players, where the quality of AI matters immensely. In CoE you're probably constantly defending against neutrals/taking territory in CoE whether or not you're at war with players. The AI quality of random deer and bears is irrelevant.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just had my first win in CoE, as the Necromancers. I ended up losing all of my Tartarians to various misadventures -- including one that gated into the Void (I did not know that Descend Into the Earth could put you there!) and couldn't find its way home, and another that took an arrow to the brain and could no longer cast the regeneration buff that was carrying it until then -- but my then my necromancers had leveled up enough that they and their undead armies could carry the day.

Above: every single battle of the last year or two of the game.

I did make one major mistake, and that was casting Greater Lichcraft on my premier necromancer. Lichcraft itself is fantastic, so I figured Greater Lichcraft would be even better. It is in some ways -- the demilich is very nearly impossible to kill (and won't stay dead) and is a fantastic spellcaster -- but there's one huge catch: it becomes immobile. In compensation it gets a cheap teleport, Lichgate, but it's very unreliable (only targets squares that already have a humanoid corpse in them) and can't take any troops along. This means the Demilich is no longer at all useful as a leader of armies, and any rituals that require traveling to a specific place (such as Raise Legion) become useless unless you can contrive to kill someone there with your other troops.

I did eventually find two uses for it:
- It's still useful as a necromancer that can Raise Dead without going permanently insane; wait until one of your armies finds a corpse field (probably by bringing a necro apprentice along who can sense the dead), then teleport the demilich out there and have it do the raise.
- It can be used as artillery! Teleport it into the heart of enemy territory and odds are good it will appear on top of a major city or some other hotly-contested zone. Since it can't move, it will just sit there summoning 2d20 undead every turn and drown the defenders in them. If they somehow manage to kill it, it'll just respawn back at home.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Conquest of Elysium. It's by the same developer as Dominions and shares a lot of units and mechanics with it. It's kind of "dominions lite".

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The AI is kind of dumb for sure. The "Homeland Security" mod posted earlier probably helps with this, but a lot of the time the AI will send their entire army out exploring early on and then get eliminated from the game when a single deer walks into their undefended capital and "conquers" it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

dis astranagant posted:

It's Dominions' simple cousin. Same company and many of the same sprites. But instead of having a big sprawling empire across many provinces it has all the little towns and features inside something more like a province or 2.

This also should solve the other huge problem with Dominions, in that the micro gets incredibly insane the further games go on. Restricting the scope down so much should hopefully keep the micromanaging away from 'oh god I forgot to give this guy this reagent thing now my entire battleplan is dead in the water because I spent three hours setting it up beforehand' levels.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Does CoE have the same insane scripting nonsense that Dominions has because that was basically the sole hurdle keeping me from getting into it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arrhythmia posted:

Does CoE have the same insane scripting nonsense that Dominions has because that was basically the sole hurdle keeping me from getting into it.

No, battles are entirely unscripted and based on A) a unit's row, which is inherent and cannot be changed, and B) random selection among (a short list of) spells that can be cast in a given round.

I would actually like more scripting in CoE battles, but there is a little interactivity in terms of army comp and magic item distribution. A little.

And 4's system is so, so much better than 3.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Is there gameplay in the latest URR release?

I generated a world, walked around a town and looked at buildings but I didn't find any NPCs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e: thanks awful app

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is there gameplay in the latest URR release?

I generated a world, walked around a town and looked at buildings but I didn't find any NPCs.

Not yet. The next release (0.8.0) will have gameplay and is slated for release in September.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 28, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

You can choose what spells your mages can cast in battle and that's it.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
thea the awakening is the best

I hope it's already been mentioned here but in case not

it is a very good game

proof: a snake joined me and i named him snakey and then he was beaten to death by a necromancer and his undead cohort

:smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

DOMDOM posted:

it is a very good game

proof: a snake joined me and i named him snakey and then he was beaten to death by a necromancer and his undead cohort

This looks good, gonna check it out.
e: wish it was available on mac.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
hello mac man, i'm sorry you are in the 1% of computer users on the wrong side of the tracks

consider buying a $200 PC to play thea, it'd be worth it

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
think of snakey

the snake

he could also be your companion

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DOMDOM posted:

it is a very good game

Thea is an incredible, unique game that I am glad I own. At the same time after like 25 hours I have found that it is a game that I never actually want to play

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
man im at 40 hours and i keep comin back

maybe im sick

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So far my best games of CoE have been the ones that resulted in horrible losses. One of my first games, as a Necromancer, involved fighting against three separate Voices of El. They were happy to fight amongst each other, but they also kept breaking seals and bringing about the apocalypse. The only thing I had going for me was several libraries vastly boosting my mage recruitment. I liked to think of it as a grand alliance of all schools of magic against the end of the world. It all fell apart, though, after a few devastating battles where bishops banished my best troops to Tartarus.

More recently I tried playing as the Pale Ones, a race of subterranean one-eyed molemen. One of their main advantages is the ability to dig down far below the earth to a cave network called Agartha. Once I took advantage of this I was surprised to see that I had the ability to dig even further down. And that's how I dug a tunnel into Hell. Immediately the nearby hordes of Hell made a beeline for the surface, with the tunnel exit conveniently located right next to my capital. Cue my troops frantically dropping their current plans and rushing back to the capital, getting wiped out one by one by the hordes of demons erupting forth from the pit.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im in a druid game where I control the whole map but theres a Aztec team that I just cant beat on the battlefield, I got enough map control to starve them of making their army any bigger but the druids dont seem to have any units that pack enough punch to take on the Aztec army. My next move is make hundreds of spearmen or something in my cities and just try and overwhelm them but theres like a 202 unit army that I cant make a dent in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Eschatos posted:

More recently I tried playing as the Pale Ones, a race of subterranean one-eyed molemen. One of their main advantages is the ability to dig down far below the earth to a cave network called Agartha. Once I took advantage of this I was surprised to see that I had the ability to dig even further down. And that's how I dug a tunnel into Hell. Immediately the nearby hordes of Hell made a beeline for the surface, with the tunnel exit conveniently located right next to my capital. Cue my troops frantically dropping their current plans and rushing back to the capital, getting wiped out one by one by the hordes of demons erupting forth from the pit.

I think you just convinced me to get this game.