Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

No, mink oil is great. All natural oil products work really well since (gasp) natural oil is what the leather was preserved with when it was on the cow. Most of the leather treatments you'll see still use natural compounds (neatsfoot oil, for instance) in some measure. The only reason to try and find something synthetic is if you're vegan or whatever.

Renapur is beeswax and plant oils, no animal products in it at all AFAIK. I suppose a really strict vegan wouldn't want the beeswax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A really strict vegan wouldn't need to condition a leather jacket.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A really strict vegan wouldn't ride at all, as petrol is an animal product :pseudo:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Need a new jacket and don't have too much to spend, 100-150 of our great British pounds. Don't want to spend too much as I'm losing weight but my current one's falling apart.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm currently on a gt-r air, and quite enjoying the build quality, mainly that there's no velcro at the wrists or neck (always the first thing to go in my experience).

It looks sporty but it's actually a fairly standard cut, and pretty roomy too (minding that I'm built like Skeletor, but unless you're a member of CAMRA you should be fine).

Other places have it for as little as £100 if you need to penny pinch, getgeared are always kind of pricey but I appreciate their customer service.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keket posted:

Need a new jacket and don't have too much to spend, 100-150 of our great British pounds. Don't want to spend too much as I'm losing weight but my current one's falling apart.

Get a textile jacket from a reputable manufacturer, probably. You can get leather jackets for that price but I'm not sure that they'll be all that great.

Or think about buying used?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm currently on a gt-r air, and quite enjoying the build quality, mainly that there's no velcro at the wrists or neck (always the first thing to go in my experience).

It looks sporty but it's actually a fairly standard cut, and pretty roomy too (minding that I'm built like Skeletor, but unless you're a member of CAMRA you should be fine).

Other places have it for as little as £100 if you need to penny pinch, getgeared are always kind of pricey but I appreciate their customer service.

Thanks man, Going to pick one of those up when i get the money through.

Managed to secure the funds to do my DAS soon, (hopefully end of next month) after that I'm going to slowly go through and buy better gear before moving up to a bigger bike.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I'm finally retiring my old-as-poo poo Shoei RF-1000. I'm seeing really good closeout deals on the HJC RPHA 10, any reason why that wouldn't be a good replacement? The reviews seem to be really favorable. I'm pretty much a weekend warrior/tourer, I'm not concerned with high speed performance .

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I had a rpha 10 which I retired after I got my Schubert E1 this spring. I'd say it's a good helmet, middle of the tree both on noise levels and how much air the vents push. It's very light and comfortable, top notch fabric inside and lots of visor colours avaliable. Biggest thing I missed was an internal flip down sun visor, but standard package should include both a pinlock insert and a smoked visor.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's a good ADVRider thread on the Scorpion EXO AT950.

Thinking very seriously about picking one up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a suggestion for fixing holes in boot soles?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
From what I've seen, duct tape and giving no fucks :P

I was pointed towards 'shoe goop' when my last pair of boots had the soles detach but I don't know how that would work for that kind of repair

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Email alpinestars and see if they have a program to resole road/street boots - I know they will resole MX boots, including models with glued soles

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

For those playing along at home, since my last post asking about cheap helmets, our local (best) dealership had a fathers day sale (Olivers in Brisbane). So she's ended up with:

- Shark Vision-R Helmet ($319AUD from $499AUD)
- Segura Fresh Jacket ($169AUD from $199AUD)
- Ixon Whitney Kevlar Jeans ($155AUD from $199AUD)
- Ixon RS Gloves ($75 from $89)

Still to buy:

- Boots. Currently using high laced doc martins.
- Back protector, probably going to go with a d3o one as thats what I use.

Overall pretty good effort I thought, especially on the helmet. I've thrown one of my spare SMH10's on there for her music/comms. This helmet has a lot of features I wish my Arai XD4 had *shakes fist*

Managed to avoid any pink gear, no small achievement. The helmet is an XS and the jacket and pants are both XS / Size 0.

Also picked myself up some new gloves, IXON RS Burn, which so far have been very nice.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Every time I've been to Olivers they've been a bunch of useless cunts. Very get in get out with your stuff. Also very expensive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

a cobbler can take care of you. You *should* be able to order new soles.

orrr :effort:

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Shimrod posted:

Every time I've been to Olivers they've been a bunch of useless cunts. Very get in get out with your stuff. Also very expensive.

Weird, I've found them really knowledgable. I usually deal with Josh upstairs in the gear section and he's on the ball. Prices have always seemed comparable to team moto etc too, like all these places theres the price and theres the price. Friend of mine raves about their shop actually fixing long standing problems. *shrug* ymmv.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

devians posted:

- Shark Vision-R Helmet ($319AUD from $499AUD)
- Segura Fresh Jacket ($169AUD from $199AUD)
- Ixon Whitney Kevlar Jeans ($155AUD from $199AUD)
- Ixon RS Gloves ($75 from $89)

Segura jackets look sooo good. Maybe I'm a moto-hipster.

Well, actually I want a Scrambler, so yeah I suppose I am. gently caress.

Does anyone have experience with hot weather base layers? I deal really poorly with heat - even a mild summer day most people enjoy is hellish to me, and that's when I'm not geared up to ride. Do they work? What would you recommend?

I've noticed Rukka makes Outlast base layers. Would those be the best? How come I haven't seen anyone else make them? Would cyclist/athletic products be just as appropriate while being cheaper?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I suck at heat too. Tbh, while the base layers are nice for keeping sweat off, I haven't personally felt too much temp difference between wearing them and not. They're just more comfortable than soggy cotton. I mostly wear them on the track so I can actually peel my goddamn suit in between sessions.

I dunno how much stock to put in this, but they say that bike base layers are specifically made with material that won't melt and fuse with your skin from the heat of sliding on the ground.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Segura jackets look sooo good. Maybe I'm a moto-hipster.

Oh wow they do look good, no American distributor? :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

They're just more comfortable than soggy cotton.
That's really the only benefit. You'll still sweat all day but it won't feel like poo poo. I find it helps a lot to do all the other little poo poo like having ice water handy and umbrellas for the sun and enduracool towels to wear on your head.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wonder if very lightweight marino base layers would work under leathers. It's more comfortable than soggy cotton, wicks very well, and it doesn't stink like the typical capilene athletic fabrics after you've been sweating in it all day. Might be a little too warm though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Anyone know how to get coffee stains out of a white mesh jacket?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's really the only benefit. You'll still sweat all day but it won't feel like poo poo. I find it helps a lot to do all the other little poo poo like having ice water handy and umbrellas for the sun and enduracool towels to wear on your head.
Yes, this. I'm super sensitive to heat, which is funny coming from someone who has lived in GA for over 2 decades (I can stand in 32F weather in shorts and be fine). But sweating while riding in the summer has never bothered me. I just accept it as part of the price of admission. If it's 95F out, you're going to sweat whether you're wearing a leather jacket or a tshirt and shorts. Wicking baselayers make it so that your clothes don't completely stick to your body and feel like you're coated in oil. During the summer I usually wear wicking baselayers (and I still attest to Underarmor > overpriced motorcycle specific layers) and throw my cotton tshirt/etc into my backpack. People sometimes give me odd looks and question as to why I'm wearing long sleeves in the middle of July, to which i respond, "gently caress you, I'm on a motorcycle and you're not. QED.".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wear Nike compression 3/4 pants and a compression long sleeve shirt pretty much all the time when I'm riding, it actually makes a difference in terms of what I feel temperature wise. Maybe that's an Arizona thing since it doesn't really get over 50% humidity when over 110* here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I wear Nike compression 3/4 pants and a compression long sleeve shirt pretty much all the time when I'm riding, it actually makes a difference in terms of what I feel temperature wise. Maybe that's an Arizona thing since it doesn't really get over 50% humidity when over 110* here.

Floridian checking in, slightly lower temp but humidity regularly 80+, I find it helps me too. I only wear UA underwear, gym shorts for bottoms though (edit: under my gear pants, of course). The top is just amazing for getting out of the jacket though, and wicks so well that all I really have to do to dry off is head downstairs to our production area and hang off of one of the big 48" pedestal fans. I gave myself shivers the other day just from the swamp cooling effect.

People always loving ask "Isn't it hot? Don't you have a car with A/C?" They simply can't believe that a textile jacket could be anything but like their winter coats.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Webbikeworld reviewed the Scorpion EXO AT950.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

Apparently, dual-sport flip-up helmets are becoming a thing.

The trend started back in 1013, with the Caberg Tourmax released in that year.

DUAL SPORT VULT

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Look at this scrub who doesn't know a 3/4 from a modular.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fully enclosed pivot visored helmets weren't developed until the 15th century. :hist101: Get on my level, washpot!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Minor note for anyone else that is still willing to listen to me, I think I finally found some boots for my elephant feet. Turns out Icon Field Armor 2 boots are apparently an E width, and seem to be doing fine for me. I had to go up a half size (normally a 10 2E, so to a 10.5), and if there's any extra length, it's negligible, for me at least anyways. I wish they had a shin plate, but compared to the forma terras I had a few days ago at least I can wear these- my calves are apparently massive and I could just barely cinch the top ratchet in those boots, but having my pants tucked in them made it difficult to close and hurt like hell.

I'm only mentioning this because finding boots for wide feet has been such a pain, I figured if anyone else was looking they might be interested in some options. I'd definitely recommend trying them on first if you can, like I said I went up a half size and got lucky. Depending on your toe length that might not be a good idea.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Fully enclosed pivot visored helmets weren't developed until the 15th century. :hist101: Get on my level, washpot!

I suppose I should take the word of someone named Renaissance anything regarding the 15th century.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need to get a pair of pants, and I'd like to stick with A* because I already have a jacket from them and I want a zippered connection between the two. I thought the over pants would be decent, but I saw a pic somewhere of some that crashed and they didn't seem like they held up very well (maybe the crash thread here). I'm open to over pants or regular pants, it seems like the regular pants may be more protective.

The A-10 pants looked like the best option, but every site is out of my size. I could try one size bigger, but I'm worried they may move around too much in a crash. The only other options I've seen (under $300) are:

Oxygen air over pants

AST-1 WP pants

Or I could just ignore my budget and pay $400 for their missile airflow pants, but I was trying to avoid leather as I live in SoCal and have been riding when it's 90 to 100 degrees outside. Recommendations?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Looking for opinions on these jackets-

Revi't Excalibur

vs

AGV Dragon

I'm leaning toward the Dragon since it's both leather and cheaper, but would the Excalibur be more flexible weather-wise?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

The AGV is a piece of poo poo IMO. Crappy leather, cheap zippers/construction, really weird fit, uncomfortable. We had them in the store for 8 months or something and sold 0 (partially because we never showed them to anyone because none of us liked them). The Rev'it will be more versatile and lightyears better quality-wise.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dutymode posted:

Looking for opinions on these jackets-

Revi't Excalibur

vs

AGV Dragon

I'm leaning toward the Dragon since it's both leather and cheaper, but would the Excalibur be more flexible weather-wise?

Excalibur and Dragon... does anyone make a jacket called wizard or merlin?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yes. Rukka makes (or made) a Goretex leather jacket/pant set called the Merlin.

edit: And Held makes Wizzard gloves.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

-Inu- posted:

Yes. Rukka makes (or made) a Goretex leather jacket/pant set called the Merlin.

edit: And Held makes Wizzard gloves.

Oh my sweet jebus, I need them gloves.

I need them.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm eager to upgrade my gear. I have full gear right now, and while I'm probably safe enough and fine when it's warm, mesh textile isn't great when it's cool, and definitely not good cold.

Helmet: RPHA Max. Yes, a modular HJC. Comfortable as poo poo and 3 star sharp. But, alas, only 3, not 5. Flip down sun visor is nice.
Gloves: Cortech Latigo RR. 3XL. I could probably do 2xl but I was told to go big, so I did.
Jacket: Joe Rocket with shoulder/back/elbow pads and a rain liner. Phoenix or ion? Has loops/zips.
Pants: Joe Rocket with hip.knee pads, no rain liner. The one the jacket isn't. They zip together and have the loop things at the waist so it's connected.
Boots: Tourmaster solution air 2.0. Very waterproof, fairly breathable,

What should I change first? Keep in mind the weather here is going to cool off and this will be my first real winter in 10 years :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Space Whale posted:

I'm eager to upgrade my gear. I have full gear right now, and while I'm probably safe enough and fine when it's warm, mesh textile isn't great when it's cool, and definitely not good cold.

Helmet: RPHA Max. Yes, a modular HJC. Comfortable as poo poo and 3 star sharp. But, alas, only 3, not 5. Flip down sun visor is nice.
Gloves: Cortech Latigo RR. 3XL. I could probably do 2xl but I was told to go big, so I did.
Jacket: Joe Rocket with shoulder/back/elbow pads and a rain liner. Phoenix or ion? Has loops/zips.
Pants: Joe Rocket with hip.knee pads, no rain liner. The one the jacket isn't. They zip together and have the loop things at the waist so it's connected.
Boots: Tourmaster solution air 2.0. Very waterproof, fairly breathable,

What should I change first? Keep in mind the weather here is going to cool off and this will be my first real winter in 10 years :ohdear:

First thing I'd change is the boots. If they're like the pair of solutions I have you can bend the sole with very little effort by hand (fold up, down, twist; all the motions you don't want your foot to do in an accident), and the ankle is even less rigid. Comfortable for walking in and more protection than regular sneakers but I don't know by how much.