Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Trapick posted:

Other nations have underground bunkers able to withstand nuclear weapons, we have a closet.

Let's be honest here: nobody gives a gently caress about Ottawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

CanPol Megathread: and thanks for triggering me, you rear end in a top hat.

When people say space stuff are stupid and make people children, it's people like that who prove them right.

flashman posted:

The prime minister hiding in a closet pretty funny even if it was the best thing to do (or maybe because it was the best thing to do)

It's super funny mostly because the security agents didn't try to get him out of the building or even the room they just hide him in the closet and told the whole caucus to defend the door with what they could.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sbaldrick posted:

It's super funny mostly because the security agents didn't try to get him out of the building or even the room they just hide him in the closet and told the whole caucus to defend the door with what they could.

Two options here, both equally entertaining:

1. They didn't have a plan and they were making poo poo up as they went along
2. They did have a plan, written down in a book, in advance, and that was it.

OSI bean dip posted:

The people who can manage to live/work here for any length of time and not figure that out worry me.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

flakeloaf posted:

Two options here, both equally entertaining:

1. They didn't have a plan and they were making poo poo up as they went along
2. They did have a plan, written down in a book, in advance, and that was it.

Of all the things people give the RCMP poo poo for the fact they didn't/don't have a plan for the PM during an attack on Parliament may be the dumbest legitimate thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Now they obviously have to change the plan because everyone knows the super-secret prime ministerial hiding place.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm glad we're having "mocking Stephen Harper for following his security detail's instructions while there was an active shooter in Parliament is actually good" discourse again.

I think it's note-worthy for being one of the few times Harper actually followed the advice of unbiased experts while he was in power.

flakeloaf posted:

The people who can manage to live/work here for any length of time and not figure that out worry me.

To experience this fully you need to face east and lean on the rock in Sir Alexander Mackenzie park where he chiseled "from Canada by land". Still a hell of a long way away and only slightly more relevant than it was in 1793.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
That comedian wasn't mocking Harper for hiding in a closet. He sensed the dissonance among conservatives wherein they feel obliged to defend Harper from an obviously scurrilous attack, but still secretly view the act as a shameful one. He crammed his finger into that wound again and it's hilarious.

The posters in this thread are getting too old and need to be sent to the Carousel already.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I don't want to live in a country that doesn't subsidize the trolling of right-wingers

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

We all laughed about it when it happened and I'm laughing about it again.

Stuff that dork into a locker and take his lunch money.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You mean that she secretly wants to be in that closet?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OSI bean dip posted:

What about in 2112 when the US attacks?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lobok posted:

Man the new Mass Effect game aint looking so good.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lobok posted:

When that happens, I'll drive my gleaming red barcetta to YYZ and catch a flight to Xanadu.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The US invades and annexes us in 2067, it's in the bible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lobok posted:

Is this from a comic?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think Rempel's reaction is funny because a) freedom of speech :gonk: government officals shouldn't be telling private citizens what they can/can't say, and b) gun control :gonk: and background checks could've kept that nutter from having an assault rifle.

Astute readers will notice these are both issues her party campaigns on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Assault rifles are already prohibited and background checks are already a prerequisite for being allowed to own any gun in Canada, so I'm not sure what you think additional gun control would do.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Assault rifles are already prohibited and background checks are already a prerequisite for being allowed to own any gun in Canada, so I'm not sure what you think additional gun control would do.

They are not, though delving deeper into this will only reveal that the definition of assault rifle isn't especially useful and legal designations of guns are even less so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If it's not capable of automatic or burst firing, it's not an assault rifle, and if it is capable of those, it's prohibited. Semi-automatic rifles which look scary, which is what people commonly mean when they say "assault rifle," are not prohibited.

I don't really want to have this derail again though, since it never goes anywhere useful. What we should have is greater enforcement of the laws we already have in place; then, if those prove inadequate, we'll have a foundation on which we can add additional laws and regulations. Adding additional laws and regulations before we have proper enforcement of existing laws and regulations is foolish, and it will only serve to hurt the gun control cause.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I think Rempel's reaction is funny because a) freedom of speech :gonk: government officals shouldn't be telling private citizens what they can/can't say, and b) gun control :gonk: and background checks could've kept that nutter from having an assault rifle.

Astute readers will notice these are both issues her party campaigns on.

You can't possibly seriously think than an MP telling someone they're being an rear end in a top hat is a threat to freedom of speech.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

If it's not capable of automatic or burst firing, it's not an assault rifle, and if it is capable of those, it's prohibited. Semi-automatic rifles which look scary, which is what people commonly mean when they say "assault rifle," are not prohibited.

I don't really want to have this derail again though, since it never goes anywhere useful. What we should have is greater enforcement of the laws we already have in place; then, if those prove inadequate, we'll have a foundation on which we can add additional laws and regulations. Adding additional laws and regulations before we have proper enforcement of existing laws and regulations is foolish, and it will only serve to hurt the gun control cause.

Are you doing ok? You're suddenly making a lot of sense, and not being hyperbolic.

Additionally, it should be noted that the rifle used by Zehaf-Bibeau was a Winchester model 94. It is a lever action rifle (manually operated, not semi or fully automatic) chambered in .30-30. It is just about as far away from "assault rifle" territory as you can get. It's a grandpa gun, not a scary black gun.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

You can't possibly seriously think than an MP telling someone they're being an rear end in a top hat is a threat to freedom of speech.

No. It's the leader of the opposition who is attacking Critch's free speech. I mean, if you wanted to spin it that way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

....calling someone an rear end in a top hat isn't attacking their freedom of speech.....

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Trapick posted:

Other nations have underground bunkers able to withstand nuclear weapons, we have a closet.

An interesting tidbit we learned when touring the diefenbunker - it quickly became obsolete once new satellite-guided nuclear missiles could hit targets with pinpoint accuracy. When the bunker was built, nuclear missiles were not as precise, and a direct hit would have annihilated the bunker itself, but the chance of that happening was slim. Now we have missiles that are not only super accurate, but have the ability to hit a target multiples times with said accuracy. As a result, many expensive to maintain installations (such as the bunker in North Bay, ON) are being decommisioned for a less expensive command-and-control centre, with the rationale being "if we're going to get nuked, then we mine as well do it on the cheap".

Still, if you get the chance, the diefenbunker is an interesting museum piece to visit.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

....calling someone an rear end in a top hat isn't attacking their freedom of speech.....

Sshhh you're ruining it!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Please stop criticizing PK loving SUBBAN you are hurting his freedom of speech rights

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Drunk Canuck posted:

Please stop criticizing PK loving SUBBAN you are hurting his freedom of speech rights

I like to call them my free spee fee-fees

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

No. It's the leader of the opposition who is attacking Critch's free speech. I mean, if you wanted to spin it that way.

Do all conservative women look the same to you

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Yes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do all conservative women look the same to you

Pretend I posted the FOX news female staff picture here.

e: You know what, its funnier when I see it:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Additionally, it should be noted that the rifle used by Zehaf-Bibeau was a Winchester model 94. It is a lever action rifle (manually operated, not semi or fully automatic) chambered in .30-30. It is just about as far away from "assault rifle" territory as you can get. It's a grandpa gun, not a scary black gun.

drat fine gun, good taste

^^^I would have sex with a lot of those Stepford women

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

drat fine gun, good taste

^^^I would have sex with a lot of those Stepford women

Okay thanks Roger

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Never fired a lever action but after having to handle one for my gun safety I got the impression they are pretty sketchy safety wise and those Fox ladies are definitely pod people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Professor Shark posted:

Is this from a comic?

Yeah, "We Stand On Guard". Came out last year.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Furnaceface posted:

Pretend I posted the FOX news female staff picture here.

e: You know what, its funnier when I see it:

Please don't post my stormfront-sourced spank bank material.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

EvilJoven posted:

Never fired a lever action but after having to handle one for my gun safety I got the impression they are pretty sketchy safety wise and those Fox ladies are definitely pod people.

On the first point, I grew up with lever action rifles. Your impression is correct. Fun little museum pieces, but you can probably do as much damage with hunting arrows and a bit of practice. Or maybe I'm just fantasizing from the Elven Postal scene in LOTR.

On the second point, like a lot of male Homo sapiens my standards consist of: same species, consenting adult.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

I read in a gun review for a Henry carbine that even if you don't use the half-cock safety, Henry uses technology that lets the hammer safetly rest against the round. I dom't think that's accurate at all and it's scary that people might believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When I was being taught how to use a lever action half cock safety I blurted out 'is this where the term going off half cocked came from?' and got such a stink eye from the instructor.