Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Braksgirl posted:

Just some quick thoughts on Disneyland Hotels. I'm at Paradise Pier right now. It's barely a Moderate level hotel. Not at ALL worth the price.

We stayed there last year and while the rooms were okay, the restaurant there was so bad. I've never gotten Disney food that bad before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It may be interesting, in light of this discussion, that Six Flags recently developed a Justice League themed interactive dark ride with a concept that's a mash up between Toy Story Mania and Adventures of Spider-Man. It's gotten good reviews (and the chain is probably going to put one in every park they own over the next few years). I have no idea how it stacks up to TSM and Astro Blasters but I get to find out in just over a week!

A POV of Chicago's copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dro-fPdw9BI

Obviously this doesn't at all represent where Six Flags is spending the majority of their cash, and it's very obvious they don't have Disney/Universal park level money for development, but it's good to see someone step up and do something interesting.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boxman posted:

It may be interesting, in light of this discussion, that Six Flags recently developed a Justice League themed interactive dark ride with a concept that's a mash up between Toy Story Mania and Adventures of Spider-Man. It's gotten good reviews (and the chain is probably going to put one in every park they own over the next few years). I have no idea how it stacks up to TSM and Astro Blasters but I get to find out in just over a week!

A POV of Chicago's copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dro-fPdw9BI

Obviously this doesn't at all represent where Six Flags is spending the majority of their cash, and it's very obvious they don't have Disney/Universal park level money for development, but it's good to see someone step up and do something interesting.

I think part of this too is that animatronics and robotics are getting stupidly cheap, especially with devices like Arduinos that can act as controllers for them.

The most expensive parts of animatronics went from the motors and hydraulics to the costume and latex. It's cool.

Plus not to mention that a projector and a giant screen is alot cheaper and easier to upkeep than a expansive set.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Can I book fast passes for MVMCP?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Can I book fast passes for MVMCP?

If its anything like my trip for MNSSHP, fastpasses are only available for the regular hours and there are none for for the event.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

No Fast Passes are issued for the Christmas and Halloween parties.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
you can book fastpasses with your party ticket though, since you can get in at 4pm. so 4-6:30, pick some stuff, go hog wild, then save the rest for the party

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Boy oh boy the waifu is not happy with this new 'magic puck' replacement scheme they cooked up. Also AP holders get deeply discounted 1-day park hopper passes for a guest. And CM's are getting more comp passes and the 40% discount they normally get starts now. Times are tough huh Disney? Now you want us back now that park attendance is in the shitter.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any word on how attendance for shanghai is doing?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I guess I don't understand how this puck will work in the sense of wearing it or how big it is. Is it about the same size as the RFID roses from BOG? Because I have no interest in carrying that in my pocket all day. I really like the bands, and am still not quite sure what the puck would do better.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anya posted:

I guess I don't understand how this puck will work in the sense of wearing it or how big it is. Is it about the same size as the RFID roses from BOG? Because I have no interest in carrying that in my pocket all day. I really like the bands, and am still not quite sure what the puck would do better.

From what people have surmised, they will fit into a slot in new type of magic bands, pin lanyards , etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're going to basically be the size of a watch face/small Apple watch. It's not really a big deal, it's not like your current magic bands will stop working, and if anything I could see it being like a Magic Band+ for more personalized experiences a la the Haunted Mansion.

Think of it as an expansion of the magic band technology, not an obsoletion. Magic Bands have been a huge hit, of course they're going to expand that product line and tech.

demonR6 posted:

Boy oh boy the waifu is not happy with this new 'magic puck' replacement scheme they cooked up. Also AP holders get deeply discounted 1-day park hopper passes for a guest. And CM's are getting more comp passes and the 40% discount they normally get starts now. Times are tough huh Disney? Now you want us back now that park attendance is in the shitter.

Sometimes the doom and gloom in this thread is a bit :stare:. Tourism is down as a whole globally right now (Orlando being effected mostly by Brazilian and UK circumstances) so of course they're offering deals, that's how they operate 100% of the time. Not 4 months ago we were all talking about how there isn't even a slow season anymore. Ebb and flow.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 28, 2016

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Anya posted:

Think more like the FItbit Flex. Hockey puck is the electronics, RFID chip, everything. The band is now just plastic and interchangeable. You can keep using the same gizmo, just switching out the band portion when you feel like it. Should make the bands themselves cheaper too since none of the electronics would be required.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I welcome this change after I heard there's a good chance the battery on my band may die out after a few years

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

They're going to basically be the size of a watch face/small Apple watch. It's not really a big deal, it's not like your current magic bands will stop working, and if anything I could see it being like a Magic Band+ for more personalized experiences a la the Haunted Mansion.

Think of it as an expansion of the magic band technology, not an obsoletion. Magic Bands have been a huge hit, of course they're going to expand that product line and tech.

Sometimes the doom and gloom in this thread is a bit :stare:. Tourism is down as a whole globally right now (Orlando being effected mostly by Brazilian and UK circumstances) so of course they're offering deals, that's how they operate 100% of the time. Not 4 months ago we were all talking about how there isn't even a slow season anymore. Ebb and flow.

It's not doom & gloom as much as it is Disney treats AP's second rate until they need them because #timesaretoughpleasecomebackweneedmoney.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

I welcome this change after I heard there's a good chance the battery on my band may die out after a few years

I believe there are two major components in a Magicband - a passive RFID component, which is what operates all the "tap to operate" things like door locks, tap stiles, and so on; then the active component, which is how the My Story stuff and location finding service at BoG operates. The passive bits shouldn't ever lose power.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

demonR6 posted:

It's not doom & gloom as much as it is Disney treats AP's second rate until they need them because #timesaretoughpleasecomebackweneedmoney.

My point is that's literally the reason annual passes exist to anything and why black out dates are a thing; to encourage people to return often and on the slower times to supplement the tourist season money. I have the no-black out date AP and I never feel second rate to other guests in the parks. If you have a blackout date pass, you are agreeing to that trade off to avoid crowds and save money.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Gotcha! I had seen pictures but never to scale, so I didn't have a good size reference. The sky is apparently not falling then.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Hi all!

It's been 2 years since I took my girlfriend to Disney World, for the first time, for her 30th birthday and she's suggested we go back for another holiday there next year! :D

Last time we went around the end of March when the garden festival was on and the crowds were fine, i'd love them the parks to be quieter though. ;)

We're looking to go for 10 nights in October or November 2017. Are there any dates that jump out as being the quietest or are there any days to avoid?

We stayed at Coronado Springs last time because it was highly recommended in this thread and we loved it. Wouldn't mind trying something else, if it was similar pricing to Coronado. Are there any other moderate resorts worth considering? I quite fancied Port Orleans French Quarter but it seems a fair bit more expensive
What is the weather like in October / November and are the water parks still open?

Is there any chance of the recent Hollywood studio work being finished by then or are there any future works planned that we know about?

Thanks for the help :)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

When does all the Christmas stuff (World Showcase, AK Lodge tree, Gingerbread houses etc) start to show up? We're going 11/10-11/19 and doing the Christmas party, but wasn't sure about the rest of it all getting Christmas'd out. Thanks!

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Biggz posted:

We're looking to go for 10 nights in October or November 2017. Are there any dates that jump out as being the quietest or are there any days to avoid?

If you don't want crowds, just do your best to avoid the F&W festival (though I've gone during my 3 trips, and it's a blast, but busy). Otherwise the crowd calendars have not been accurate so I have no clue when quiet times are anymore.

Biggz posted:

Are there any other moderate resorts worth considering? I quite fancied Port Orleans French Quarter but it seems a fair bit more expensive

I've stayed at Coronado and PO:FQ, and I won't go back to the Coronado. I loved FQ, it was quiet, most of the time had it's own bus (with one stop, shares at times with Riverside, total of 4 stops with FQ being first back from the parks), boats to Disney Springs which is a fun way to take a break from all the park busses, and beignets every morning for breakfast.

Biggz posted:

What is the weather like in October / November and are the water parks still open?

Weather is nice, in Orlando terms. Can be hot and nasty, can be pleasant, can be thunderstorms, it's a gamble, but I've never had a day during that time of the year when I wasn't able to head out to the parks.
Typhoon Lagoon will be closed for refurb from Oct 27-Dec 22, then Blizzard Beach will be closed for refurb after that.

Biggz posted:

Is there any chance of the recent Hollywood studio work being finished by then or are there any future works planned that we know about?

Oh god no. The earliest guesses I've heard online (Disney hasn't announced any dates officially) is that Avatarland will be opening sometime in 2017 (so that'll likely be done by your trip), Toy Story in 2018, and Star Wars in 2019, but the last two are very optimistic with how long the new fantasyland took.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don't play on anything Studios related for a few years it's a wreck and not worth even planning to spend time there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hollywood Studios still has some fantastic attractions that are worth visiting. Some of the best in the entire resort actually. Especially if you have 10 days on property.

Tower of Terror
Rock 'n Roller Coaster
Star Tours
Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Midway Mania

Fantasmic and Star Wars fireworks are great too, plus a lot of other great things like the stage shows and meet and greets. It's just as good as EPCOT as far as attractions goes, maybe even better. The only thing keeping EPCOT floating is the food and drinks, it's a quarter day park otherwise.

As for moderate resorts, Coronado and POFQ are generally the best. I do think POFQ is worth the price difference if you haven't stayed there.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You can FP three of those, walk on to Star Tours and brave the remaining ride for the hour long wait. We did GMR the last two trips and it's just tired and old to me now. I thought they were going to close that down too?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah MGM IS JUST TOWER AND rock n to me. GMR is lame IMHO and I haven't done toy Story so won't speak but isn't it just a fancier version of buzz light year?

They even got rid of the best store,Villians :/

Animal Kingdom is secret best Park next to magic Kingdom

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I prefer Toy Story Midway Mania to Buzz Lightyear. I like the concept of it better and I find it easier to play.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I goto MGM for the Citizens of Hollywood(they honest to god recognize my nephew and niece who have grown up with them),ToT,Rockin, and the Muppets when it hits me(though them getting rid of multiple Gonzos tap dancing multiple screen still hurts me). My last trip I ended up jumping back to MK from all the other parks after around 4pm.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

i like to walk around Studios still (Sunset is my favorite land in any Disney Park, barring my recent experiences with Carsland which I am formulating) but if you want rides, go to MK.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Quixotic1 posted:

I goto MGM for the Citizens of Hollywood(they honest to god recognize my nephew and niece who have grown up with them),ToT,Rockin, and the Muppets when it hits me(though them getting rid of multiple Gonzos tap dancing multiple screen still hurts me). My last trip I ended up jumping back to MK from all the other parks after around 4pm.

As of June this year they still have the gonzos tap dancing. It's on the screens in the pre-show wait area. You gotta get there 15 min or so before the show and you should catch it

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

you can book fastpasses with your party ticket though, since you can get in at 4pm. so 4-6:30, pick some stuff, go hog wild, then save the rest for the party

Can I book them ahead of time, or only when I get into the park?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Can I book them ahead of time, or only when I get into the park?

you can link your party ticket to My DIsney Experience like any other ticket.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

you can link your party ticket to My DIsney Experience like any other ticket.

Yep. And you can make the FP at 60 days out.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Speaking of which, today was our 60 days out, successfully snagged Frozen Ever After FP

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really think I need to lock down a 10 night time frame then look at pricing between Coronado and PO:FQ.

Fejsze posted:

I've stayed at Coronado and PO:FQ, and I won't go back to the Coronado.
I'll definitely look at PO:FQ then. If it's an awful lot more I may stay at Coronado again because I really did like it and I personally dont know how much better PO:FQ is :D

Fejsze posted:

Weather is nice, in Orlando terms
Typhoon Lagoon will be closed for refurb from Oct 27-Dec 22, then Blizzard Beach will be closed for refurb after that.
Sounds a little like when we went in March then, there were a few showers and real bad thunder storms. I was at Typhoon Lagoon when the worst hit and it was beautiful being outside in that, had to hide under canopies at a restaurant. It would suck if it was like that every day though! As long as there's one water park open so I have that option for a lazy day, I've never been to Blizzard Beach so it might be something new for me too.

demonR6 posted:

Don't plan on anything Studios related for a few years it's a wreck and not worth even planning to spend time there.

Bottom Liner posted:

Hollywood Studios still has some fantastic attractions that are worth visiting.
As for moderate resorts, Coronado and POFQ are generally the best. I do think POFQ is worth the price difference if you haven't stayed there."

I'll still head there and do a few things then but having things cut out isn't a bad thing, I'll have trouble fitting in everything already! I loved Fantasmic last time and I've not seen the Star Wars fireworks.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

couldcareless posted:

Speaking of which, today was our 60 days out, successfully snagged Frozen Ever After FP

Wish I could say the same... You'd think they'd save some for those who don't wait up until the wee hours of the morning to book something exactly 60 days in advance, but whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fejsze posted:

If you don't want crowds, just do your best to avoid the F&W festival (though I've gone during my 3 trips, and it's a blast, but busy). Otherwise the crowd calendars have not been accurate so I have no clue when quiet times are anymore.

F&W is ok on weekdays but stay away on the weekends.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

poolside toaster posted:

Wish I could say the same... You'd think they'd save some for those who don't wait up until the wee hours of the morning to book something exactly 60 days in advance, but whatever.

We are central time, so it's a little forgiving for us, but my wife even woke up late to the booking time and still managed to grab it, she even said there were tons of availabilities. Might just be our timing of right during Halloween

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Rock N Rollercoaster is closing from October 27th to November 10th. Just a heads up for those planning to come!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not enough time to overhaul it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

not enough time to overhaul it :(

enough time to take out Steven Tyler since he just came to Disney World to basically piss on the place because they removed the shocker. Word is Disney is PISSED about the videos he's been making.