Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan just got Fire Emblem 4 (Seisen no Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War) on the New 3DS VC. I have no why they decided to release it on a Saturday evening with no warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Isn't that just how Nintendo rolls?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm guessing blindly, but I'd wager it's because it didn't move units the way Wii Sports did. It's only real existence was as a pack-in title, and they've much better choices to stuff in alongside (or on) the console now.

Even so it's bizarre they pulled it from the eShop and basically pretended it never existed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't think it was ever on the eShop. They just didn't add it there and then never spoke of or acknowledged the title in way or form. A shame because it's a pretty fun party title, if not the best one on a system with several party titles.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What, that can't be true, it's one of their best selling titles. I think it's because every other Wii came with physical Nintendoland.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm really hoping that they start putting up more SNES games. It's a shame they aren't putting up GBA games because playing on a small screen is far more flattering despite the smoothing out feature the WiiU has.

I haven't been following outside of this thread, but has Sega even so much as hinted at any possibility of a Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I have the games on two different collections (Sonic Gems (GCN), Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360) but neither have the lock on technology emulated. My Sega genesis pretty much decides when it wants to play so ...

Seems like Steam is the only way to get it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Is there a way to purchase 3DS eShop games on a PC or phone? I'd like to pick up Gunstar Heroes on sale but I don't have access to wifi on the 3DS at the moment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nickoten posted:

Is there a way to purchase 3DS eShop games on a PC or phone? I'd like to pick up Gunstar Heroes on sale but I don't have access to wifi on the 3DS at the moment.

Most things can be purchased through the eshop website

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Houle posted:

I'm really hoping that they start putting up more SNES games. It's a shame they aren't putting up GBA games because playing on a small screen is far more flattering despite the smoothing out feature the WiiU has.

I haven't been following outside of this thread, but has Sega even so much as hinted at any possibility of a Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I have the games on two different collections (Sonic Gems (GCN), Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360) but neither have the lock on technology emulated. My Sega genesis pretty much decides when it wants to play so ...

Seems like Steam is the only way to get it.

Sonic 3 isn't on Gems Collection, but it is odd that lock-on is missing from Ultimate Genesis Collection. The XBLA versions of the 2 games do support lock-on, as does Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Nickoten posted:

This took 5 seconds of Google

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can see why they didn't port it, but at the same time I'm rather disappointed that Half-Genie Hero isn't coming to the 3DS simply because it's the only platform going where you can play all three previous Shantae games. The original GBC game is emulated on the 3DS and isn't available anywhere else while physical copies of the game go for $400+.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The T posted:

Sonic 3 isn't on Gems Collection, but it is odd that lock-on is missing from Ultimate Genesis Collection. The XBLA versions of the 2 games do support lock-on, as does Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube.

Well it is technically as a "Demo" that's just a playable ending, but intentionally suiciding and losing the heightened amount of lives they give you allows you to glance over the rest of the game for a brief period of time (unless you just use an action replay to disable the time limit.)

Sonic 3 is included separate of Sonic & Knuckles. Justified as they're technically not part of the collection and there's no reason to have the complete game available since unless you're cheating you wouldn't be able to play anything but the Launch Base/Death Egg/Doomsday bosses anyway.

Mega Collection and Mega Collection + both include S3&K in both Locked-On and Separate varieties. The most recent collection they've been featured on that's included them as locked-on since was the Classic Collection on the DS and the Steam release. Modified ports such as a 3D re-release or a remade iOS/Android Port like what Sonic 1/2/CD got seems to be off the table for some bizarre reason that's been rumored to be a legal one. (Though a proof-of-concept for an iOS/Android port has been shown of Angel Island 1, it seems Sega's not biting and the guys who made it are busy working on Mania now so it might never actually come to fruition.)

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 27, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Axiom Verge is on wii u, I heard the game was good, yeah! or nay.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kurtofan posted:

It actually uses the second screen in a way that just makes sense for a Metroid clone, so the U version is the best version of the game compared to the other ports. If you'll enjoy it though that's something else. It's a solid Metroid clone, but it doesn't surpass the actual Metroid games you can get on the U.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

It is really good. Has a big and cool world and a groovy soundtrack. Story is kinda dumb but who cares.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Thank you for the quick responses. I'll check to see the Xbox Live versions since Sonic 3 & Knuckles is far superior to the two games separately.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Houle posted:

Thank you for the quick responses. I'll check to see the Xbox Live versions since Sonic 3 & Knuckles is far superior to the two games separately.

I think the XBLA versions can connect but i'm not sure. The Wii Virtual Console versions absolutely can if you're willing to go through there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I think im in the minority on this one but I really, really dislike Axiom Verge. Misses the point of what makes Metroid games fun in almost every way.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

I think im in the minority on this one but I really, really dislike Axiom Verge. Misses the point of what makes Metroid games fun in almost every way.

Glitching everything and sticking bombs up your own arse?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Glitching everything and sticking bombs up your own arse?

It's just unbelievably slow and the shooting and bosses all suck, and none of the upgrades you pick up are meaningful. I was so excited for it and then put it down forever after like 2 hours.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

In Training posted:

I agree completely. I bought it after praise for it being a love letter to Metroid, but it feels like it misses the key elements of what made Metroid so great. I'd recommend not getting it, personally. It felt like a mess and is way too busy visually. Which is really ironic considering "glitches" are the key component of the game.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kurtofan posted:

I liked it for the first 2/3rd and by the end getting back and forth between areas felt like a dull time sink and the bosses became terrible. But I think the early content is really fun, so kind of a toss-up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

Nay, it's super slow and boring, has no good movement options until you've almost finished it, awful boss and completely misses everything that makes 2D Metroid actually fun.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I think the XBLA versions can connect but i'm not sure. The Wii Virtual Console versions absolutely can if you're willing to go through there.

Yep, the VC also lets you lock on to Sonic 2 and Sonic 1 for Knuckles In... and Blue Sphere, respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXK-c1ppVKo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The T posted:

They actually explained why it wasn't in the Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection on PS3/X360: It was a case of budget and time, where getting Lock-On to work would've been at the expense of several entire other games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Oh thanks! For some reason I didn't see this (very obvious) option the last time I tried this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They actually explained why it wasn't in the Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection on PS3/X360: It was a case of budget and time, where getting Lock-On to work would've been at the expense of several entire other games.

That'd be believable if not for the fact that Sega has pre-compiled versions of S3&K, S2&K and Blue Sphere in their vault which could have been used with no issues whatsoever.

As far as I know, that's pretty much exactly how S&K lock-on works on the VC: the additional "locked-on" ROMs are a part of the S&K wad and it just boots those if it detects the S1/2/3 on your system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also in the early days of emulators you could literally append one rom to the other in MS-DOS and it would work

Sega was lying out their rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The non-Taxman ports of Sonic are pretty terrible tbqh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

The non-Taxman ports of Sonic are pretty terrible tbqh

The M2 3D Classics ones are good too. I wonder why Sega won't let either of them touch 3&K.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

The M2 3D Classics ones are good too. I wonder why Sega won't let either of them touch 3&K.

Licensing maybe? It's weird for sure.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic 3 (but not Knuckles) is missing from the recent plug-and-play consoles and other re-releases/compilations; rumour has it that Michael Jackson's estate became aware of his involvement and that's keeping Sega from doing anything with it, even if MJ's people don't really have a claim to any sort of compensation or royalty.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's a shame since Ice Cap Zone is fantastic. That being said there was a version without the Michael Jackson songs they could have used if need be. It wouldn't be as good however.

I can't really see Michael Jackson's estate to care too much about a game made 22 years ago that has been released on nearly every major console up to 2009. If it was an issue I imagine it would have been a removal from the systems, similar to the Donkey Kong Country disputes. That being said, it's not like I know anything about copyright claims.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Houle posted:

It's a shame since Ice Cap Zone is fantastic. That being said there was a version without the Michael Jackson songs they could have used if need be. It wouldn't be as good however.

Honestly if one can manage to get a copy of the Sonic 3 Complete romhack, whether just on an emulator (Or the steam version's workshop) or by cheesing it onto consoles that's absolutely the definitive version of both games and Blue Sphere. It includes the S&K Collection versions of the music for the last three S3 zones (Which really sound pretty good on the Genesis soundchip) and also puts more of a focus on the S3 themes as opposed to '& Knuckles'-ing everything.

It sucks that Sega isn't doing anything official with them but hey they're turning a blind eye to romhacks and emulators are relatively easy to obtain.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do I understand correctly that Virtual Console games from the Wii Shop Channel (through the Wii U) still require a separate controller and thus completely ruins the idea of off-TV play?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Correct.

Nintendo expects you to upgrade (for a fee) to the Wii U versions on order to use off-tv play, but it only works for the games that are also available on Wii U VC, so lots of Wii VC games can't be upgraded.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Funny enough, there's a sensor bar in the camera on the gamepad for you to play Wii games on, so you could play with it on a TV stand like a little TV in another room, conceivably.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Correct.

Nintendo expects you to upgrade (for a fee) to the Wii U versions on order to use off-tv play, but it only works for the games that are also available on Wii U VC, so lots of Wii VC games can't be upgraded.

drat it, why couldn't they just make the Wii U Gamepad work like a Classic Controller or something :( I want to play FFVI in bed and I don't feel like getting a GBA/DS+cartridge.

Spellman posted:

Funny enough, there's a sensor bar in the camera on the gamepad for you to play Wii games on, so you could play with it on a TV stand like a little TV in another room, conceivably.

Yeah, I have no idea where my old sensor bar is but just pointing the wiimote at the gamepad actually worked really well. It's way too tiny to comfortably play games on as a makeshift TV though, and it doesn't really work well as a "play on couch/bed" type deal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spellman posted:

I played through like like a third of Metroid Prime 3 when the trilogy came out like this lol. It was kind of a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

drat it, why couldn't they just make the Wii U Gamepad work like a Classic Controller or something :(

Funnily enough, the gamepad does substitute for a classic controller in all the wii games released on the eshop that support it, which is like three.