Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Finally Paradox takes the Historical part of Historical Grand Strategy Games seriously. Maybe we'll get the option to care of well-poisoners too.

Also yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If I kill my cat, can I entomb it in my wall and then consequently be haunted by it? This is very important.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rumda posted:

Also yes
HoI4 expansion Mein Kampf confirmed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i preordered stellaris and i was wrong

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Reaper's Due for CK2 is easily the funniest part of the entire game now. The diseases/doctors/treatments are awesome and the stories about cannibal nobles devouring shitloads of people are never-ending lately. I even heard something about one of the Paradox devs had an incestuous immortal cannibal queen devouring generations of her own horribly inbred progeny.

Reaper's Due owns so loving hard.

e: and somebody just discovered that lunatics can make a horse their doctor, Horse M.D.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

i preordered stellaris and i was wrong

Yeah, when's that gonna be as good as EU4? :sigh:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, when's that gonna be as good as EU4? :sigh:

EU4 at release or EU4 right now? Because EU4 now is after three years of iteration on the game,.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just heard about the new CK2 expansion for the first time with Darkrenown's post and so I looked it up and... wow. No offense, but there's some real barrel scraping going on with this one. It just looks so inconsequential, you know? Like no major new features, just some occasional event stuff and that kind of thing.

Also... I mean like... just jesus christ

:stare:

When are we gonna get the Cool Dudes Having a Good Time expansion?

edit: Oh no, I missed the maimed traits part.

My court doctor cut off my face to cure me of the Black Plague and it worked. Reaper's Due owns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Honky Dong Country posted:

Reaper's Due for CK2 is easily the funniest part of the entire game now. The diseases/doctors/treatments are awesome and the stories about cannibal nobles devouring shitloads of people are never-ending lately. I even heard something about one of the Paradox devs had an incestuous immortal cannibal queen devouring generations of her own horribly inbred progeny.

Reaper's Due owns so loving hard.

I wasn't on a CK2 kick right now so I was willing to wait for a sale on Reaper's Due.

I'm not waiting anymore. :stonklol: :black101:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wiz posted:

EU4 at release or EU4 right now? Because EU4 now is after three years of iteration on the game,.

That's true, but it sure seemed like EU4 at launch had a lot more compelling stuff going on than Stellaris had at launch. I do regret preordering it, and I didn't feel that way about EU4 as I recall.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reaper's Due is Cool and Good.

I quite enjoyed watching Europe die en masse in the 11th century from an early black plague in my current game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That's true, but it sure seemed like EU4 at launch had a lot more compelling stuff going on than Stellaris had at launch. I do regret preordering it, and I didn't feel that way about EU4 as I recall.

EU4 had years of event writing and testing of which mechanics were good or bad from EU3 and even earlier backing it though. CK2 was positively event-barren at the beginning and even it had some carry over from CK1. I do think Stellaris could do with a few more folks employed solely as writers and event coders to make up the gap, but that's started to happen with the Sunless Sea dude being hired.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

EU4 had years of event writing and testing of which mechanics were good or bad from EU3 and even earlier backing it though. CK2 was positively event-barren at the beginning and even it had some carry over from CK1. I do think Stellaris could do with a few more folks employed solely as writers and event coders to make up the gap, but that's started to happen with the Sunless Sea dude being hired.

We have the largest content designer team at PDS, so yeah we're focusing hard on pumping out more content for Stellaris. Monday's dev diary will be about some of that, actually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stellaris is still distant worlds away from being a good game but I hope it can someday make it there

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wiz posted:

We have the largest content designer team at PDS, so yeah we're focusing hard on pumping out more content for Stellaris. Monday's dev diary will be about some of that, actually.

That is pretty encouraging to hear.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel like, at this point, I mostly want Vicky 3 to come out so I can complain about how it needs another year of work. Just this strange obsession I have.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Stellaris is still distant worlds away from being a good game but I hope it can someday make it there

u fucker

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I haven't played V2 since they did that surprise patch a few months back.

1) Is the new patch worth it? I remember a handful of minor issues coming out of it, but I'm assuming those have been ironed out?
2) Can I get the patch on Steam? Or was it automatically pushed out to Steam users?

gracias.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

eu4 and ck2 were both very solid at launch. they really turned around paradox's reputation from every previous game, and it annoys me sometimes when people claim that they were real janky or unfinished or whatever. retconning!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mister Adequate posted:

I wasn't on a CK2 kick right now so I was willing to wait for a sale on Reaper's Due.

I'm not waiting anymore. :stonklol: :black101:

You're doing the right thing, friend. Anybody who thinks Reaper's Due sucks is dead inside. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i appreciate that stellaris has a weak imitation of the ck2 character system but the star rulers are all the same

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I haven't played V2 since they did that surprise patch a few months back.

1) Is the new patch worth it? I remember a handful of minor issues coming out of it, but I'm assuming those have been ironed out?
2) Can I get the patch on Steam? Or was it automatically pushed out to Steam users?

gracias.

it's a good patch but you have to turn it on in the beta menu in steam yes

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

i appreciate that stellaris has a weak imitation of the ck2 character system but the star rulers are all the same

it's better than all of the other space 4xes though, it's not as asymmetrical as ck2 but there's at least some actual differentiation between the galactic civilizations through their star drives

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Never got the hype for Distant Words. You either had the AI run everything or it was way too complex to play "casually".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is there any historical basis for horses being physicians in medieval times? I feel like they are jumping the shark with this expansion.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Not that I think you are serious, but the good news is that people who hate fun can turn off Fantasy content in the game rules now. It also disables the cannibal stat gain and immortality.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BadOptics posted:

Never got the hype for Distant Words. You either had the AI run everything or it was way too complex to play "casually".

Once you've figured out the daunting interface, it is satisfying to find a balance between automation and intervention as far as the economy and expansion are concerned. I really like that part of the game. Then you get to the military stage and it all falls apart as it is almost impossible to get your military to do what you want either through automation or direct control. If the stars align, you can get a few good invasions going, but you will inevitably get bogged down at some point. God help you if you're on the defensive, you can watch your fleets randomly move away from systems you've explicitly assigned them to. It's all just an exercise in frustration.

Some people put DW on a pedestal because it attempts to do things that no other game does. There really is nothing quite like it in the genre. Unfortunately, as it turns out, there is a good reason for that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

b0lt posted:

it's better than all of the other space 4xes

Now there's a bar so low you could ski over it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

waitwhatno posted:

Is there any historical basis for horses being physicians in medieval times? I feel like they are jumping the shark with this expansion.

Shark jump event please, Paradox

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Narrator posted:

My favorite form of FTL.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Seriously

please make an event where your ruler tries to jump over a shark using an experimental medieval speedboat and water-ski.

It appears during a summer fest, ruler has to be Italian and insane. Chance to successfully jump the shark is 0.05, to be horribly mangled by the shark is also 0.05, 0.9 to just crash and break a leg. Call the event "Fonzie scheme"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

b0lt posted:

it's better than all of the other space 4xes though, it's not as asymmetrical as ck2 but there's at least some actual differentiation between the galactic civilizations through their star drives

sword of the stars is way better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

& why cant i be jan mayen in ck2? fuckin lameo!!!

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

b0lt posted:

uh, what. have you literally never played sword of the stars ???

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Viral Warfare posted:

uh, what. have you literally never played sword of the stars ???

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788149

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the weird bird dragons with the flock drives were best

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

eu4 and ck2 were both very solid at launch. they really turned around paradox's reputation from every previous game, and it annoys me sometimes when people claim that they were real janky or unfinished or whatever. retconning!
CK2 is probably the best comparison for Stellaris then because it was fully functional but kind of hollow and you were probably satisfied after your first serious play through. You didn't really get people raving about it until the Old Gods patch.

EU4 was really great at launch but it had the bonus of being EU3 with the bad parts taken out so I'd agree it's unfair to compare.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

CK2 is probably the best comparison for Stellaris then because it was fully functional but kind of hollow and you were probably satisfied after your first serious play through. You didn't really get people raving about it until the Old Gods patch.

EU4 was really great at launch but it had the bonus of being EU3 with the bad parts taken out so I'd agree it's unfair to compare.

There were absolutely people raving about CK2 on launch. EU4 too. Not as many as with Stellaris but Stellaris also sold way, way more than either of those two games on launch.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah CK2 was a really unique game, there wasn't anything else like it that had to do with dynastic politics and poo poo. It's what broke me and a bunch of people I know into playing Paradox games and that was well before the Old Gods patch and I know we weren't at all unusual. Just getting into grand strategy games through it also meant I think most people didn't have many expectations in the way of events and flavor.

EU4 on the other hand as I recall had a really mixed reception, at least that was my impression of it before I picked it up myself. A lot of people (i.e. curmudgeonly established Paradox fans) reacted badly to some of the changes from EU3? If anything it was EU4 that I think people were mixed on until Art of War; CK2 had constant praise right from launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Eu4 was generally well received and the only detractors at launched screamed "monarch mana" or some bogus poo poo