Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Dear people playing Uranium: you are perfectly within your rights to play and enjoy this game if you wish. But please also consider the following alternate activities:

Loving and respecting yourselves

Can someone explain what is so bad about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

What new types could they even add they've used up all nature and mythology

There are many potential new types.

Sound/Noise would be cool; its already a pseudo-type and has a ton of moves, pokemon, and abilities themed around it. You could also do a 'Space' or 'Cosmic' type with the same justification. Or maybe a 'Digital' type, or a 'Paper' type.

Honestly the typings have no thematic consistency as is (elements mixed with random creature classifications and then descriptive poo poo like 'flying')

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

your dead mom is a pokemon you can catch.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 27, 2016

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I want a Cosmic type just so Clefairy/Clefable can change types for the third time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

From the post in this thread it sounds like the difficulty is busted, someone posted about a part where you have to do continuous battles without any items (don't know if that means in between battles or no items period.) It also sounds like it is optimized poorly with people posting famerate issues.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bartie posted:

I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

there are like 200 viable mons because of tiers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bartie posted:

I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

This isn't actually the case. There are tons of viable Pokemon, its just that most of them are outclassed by a Pokemon that does their job better. You can still use them perfectly fine. There are also plenty of Pokemon that aren't outclassed at all but are just ignored because a bunch of the people that play Pokemon don't actually go through the effort to make a team. They just look up whatever dominates the current meta and clone that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bartie posted:

That's really the case with anything competitive. Every meta is going to have things on top and those categories are not always large - especially at the very, very top, you're only going to see the most niche picks.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
With 700+ it's bound to have tiers and many pokemon are unevolved versions and so on, but it's not like there isn't room for improvement. League of Legends has over a hundred characters and manage just fine. I'm just saying that it's really boring watching Groudon vs Kyogre ad nauseum. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bartie posted:

With 700+ it's bound to have tiers and many pokemon are unevolved versions and so on, but it's not like there isn't room for improvement. League of Legends has over a hundred characters and manage just fine. I'm just saying that it's really boring watching Groudon vs Kyogre ad nauseum. :v:

When you're allowed to use almost anything in a competitive setting, it's pretty natural that a lot of people are going to be packing what are considered to be the strongest and best options.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bartie posted:

stop playing ubers then, that's the tier for broken poo poo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't the Pokemon world championships literally just get won by like, Pikachu and Hitmontop?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bartie posted:

don't play vgc then

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Am I going to learn that Mr. Bonding is the real villain in Y.

Also I caught Yveltal and named it Flabébé

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bartie posted:

League of Legends is one of the worst examples you could use for this because a bunch of characters in that are completely ignored in the competitive meta.

And yes when you allow legendaries poo poo gets really reptitive, but that's why you stick to the normal competitive formats where they aren't allowed. I have no idea why they thought letting them into VGC this year was a good idea.

Ruggington posted:

don't play vgc then

Sometimes the VGC format is good though. The ruleset they used for X/Y that only allowed Kalos dex Pokemon was great.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

greatn posted:

Isn't the Pokemon world championships literally just get won by like, Pikachu and Hitmontop?

it was an anti meta team made to counter the most popular mons and give his ubers the advantage against their ubers

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2016/teams/masters/#team-wolfe-glick-united-states-masters-division-champion

Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza were a mistake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Lotsa legendaries, I thought legendaries were banned and stuff
And man is that bell pokemon super popular. What's his deal

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

at the very top there's this weird tier of attempting to counterplay the metagame and a lot of weird picks emerge due to that. but thats like your top 0.01% of players playing against eachother. anything below that generally revolves around the same set of like maybe 20 pokemon that are just superior to everything else

that's how this kind of thing is just going to work though. the game is designed first and foremost as a singleplayer rpg, the competitive stuff always takes a backseat. it gets attention but it's never the main focus

at least IVs are going to be more accessible now

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Bartie posted:

League of Legends is garbage so your opinion is invalidated gg no re

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They allowed Legendaries because this is the last time Gen VI is going to be in the VGC. Next year it'll be Gen VII and there'll be a new meta with normal rules.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The number of dark void Smeargles listed there is upsetting me.

Calaveron posted:

They normally are. For some stupid reason they were allowed this year.

Bronzong is a really tanky steel/psychic type. He fell out of favor after steel lost its dark and ghost resistance, but he was good against a lot of popular picks in that tournament's meta.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Calaveron posted:

he can either take neutral fire or is immune to ground, has good defenses, can set trick room, has stab gyro ball, can set gravity i think

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

each team gets two banned pokemon in vgc2016

bronzong doesn't get wrecked by ground moves or xerneas and can mess with trick room, gravity, skill swap etc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

overall i think it was fun watching all the different sets and ev spreads develop throughout the year and the matches at regionals were ace. vgc16, i didn't hate it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even when you have the most powerful broken poo poo in the game, you still need a ridiculous amount of strategy and luck to actually get close to a good player.

Usually you have the optimal strategies at the start of the season and then people develop counter strategies to the usual stuff, changing EV spreads, using certain Pokemon that counter the big threats pretty well and then you start developing the counter-counter strategies, using even more weird EV spreads and using certain Pokemon that countered the certain Pokemon that countered the big stuff, so then they become more usable, resulting in even more strategies.

Competitive is fun, not well balanced and is mind games upon mind games upon freeze hax. So it's good, please enjoy the meta of your choice.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The meta in a game that is a very complex game of rock paper scissors, where you are just putting effects or damage on each other, is of course going to have less diversity than a game like DOTA or League.

Like people have said, competitive Pokemon is mostly mindgames and counter-strategies to the meta, like Wolfe had this year.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are there translations for those bios? Wanna know what my boy Lapras is doing in Alola.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 28, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Competitive Pokemon: I lost because I predicted my opponent doing the smart move and instead they did something that makes no goddamn sense

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't a Pachirisu do amazing things at a Japanese tournament because no one expected loving Pachirisu?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Competitive Pokemon: I lost because I predicted my opponent doing the smart move and instead they did something that makes no goddamn sense

They just next leveled you

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
yes

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
also it was worlds

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky Valentine posted:

Didn't a Pachirisu do amazing things at a Japanese tournament because no one expected loving Pachirisu?

Yeah. It was an absurdly specific anti-meta set though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pokemon Origins sure looks pretty but I wish amazon video had more episodes available

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Pokemon Origins sure looks pretty but I wish amazon video had more episodes available

It's only a four episode special though?

Unless they don't have all of them up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just checked, it has them all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh I thought it had more episodes. Does it really go through all 8 badges and all 150 pokemon in 90 something minutes?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I appreciate that a good 70% of the dialogue is taken from the game but I'm sad we don't hear a youngster expose about the benefits of shorts

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Calaveron posted:

Oh I thought it had more episodes. Does it really go through all 8 badges and all 150 pokemon in 90 something minutes?

Yeah, it does. It's got some weird...I don't want to say pacing issues, but it picks odd things to focus on in the limited time it has.

I hate that Red's Jolteon gets OHKO'd by Giovanni's Rhyhorn's Thunderbolt. What the hell?

I don't like that the whole thing ends up being an ad for XY with the reveal of Mega Charizard X at the end either.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So like what's the metaphysical difference between a ghost-type pokemon and an actual ghost