Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ghosts of people are just Mimikyus wearing human clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bartie posted:

With 700+ it's bound to have tiers and many pokemon are unevolved versions and so on, but it's not like there isn't room for improvement. League of Legends has over a hundred characters and manage just fine. I'm just saying that it's really boring watching Groudon vs Kyogre ad nauseum. :v:

Would pokemon completely break if they standardized all pokemon? Like, everyone gets max 600 stat points or whatever and the difference is in the distribution. Presumably some pokemon would still be better than others due to typing, ability, moves, etc, but at least it wouldn't automatically make 2/3 of pokemon non-competitive since they're not even evolved.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dexie posted:

I don't like that the whole thing ends up being an add for XY with the reveal of Mega Charizard X at the end either.

yeah man the entire what, 90 minutes before that is totally invalidated by that moment, it's just an ad for x/y

are you actually this dumb

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So like what's the metaphysical difference between a ghost-type pokemon and an actual ghost

What's the difference between a pokemon and a human?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally enjoy when video games have rough edges and weird poo poo that isn't perfectly designed hiding in it to explore. Pokemon would, to me, be lessened if it were more balanced.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i was really disappointed in Pokemon Origins when Mewtwo turned to the camera and said "Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, In Stores Now!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cheetah7071 posted:

I personally enjoy when video games have rough edges and weird poo poo that isn't perfectly designed hiding in it to explore. Pokemon would, to me, be lessened if it were more balanced.

Somebody post that image with all the glitches and poo poo wrong with Pokem RB

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

So like what's the metaphysical difference between a ghost-type pokemon and an actual ghost

Ghosts aren't real. Ghost type Pokemon are real

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Somebody post that image with all the glitches and poo poo wrong with Pokem RB

There is something as too much of a good thing

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah man the entire what, 90 minutes before that is totally invalidated by that moment, it's just an ad for x/y

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly I just wish they'd stop using Mega-Charizard X as the go to model.

M-Charizard Y is a much, much better design and it makes me sad it isn't in more poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mandatory lesbian posted:

I didn't say it invalidated it. :v: It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Zore posted:

Honestly I just wish they'd stop using Mega-Charizard X as the go to model.

M-Charizard Y is a much, much better design and it makes me sad it isn't in more poo poo.

This too.

Charizard shouldn't have gotten two Megas anyway. I know it's the most popular monster ever, but still.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat Heart Gold. Just got to the second gym and his motherfucking Scyther basically one shot my whole loving team.

And why is my whole team so loving slow? Is the problem that Gen 2 Pokemon suck? I have tried to only use gen 2 Pokemon or gen 1s that have new alternate evolutions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

greatn posted:

God drat Heart Gold. Just got to the second gym and his motherfucking Scyther basically one shot my whole loving team.

And why is my whole team so loving slow? Is the problem that Gen 2 Pokemon suck? I have tried to only use gen 2 Pokemon or gen 1s that have new alternate evolutions.

What are you using at that point then?

The only gen II pokes you can even get before Bugsy are

1) Starters
2) Hoothoot
3) Sentret
4) Mareep
5) Wooper
6) Spinarak
7) Ledyba
8) Hopip
9) Dunsparse

.... yeah, those are all p. bad unless you have Cyndaquil and maybe Mareep.

Gen II way backloads its good pokemon, and the ones you can get early are mostly real bad. At least Gen IV gave a bunch of them evos to make them not total garbage.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
You could try leveling up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Calaveron posted:

none, because Yamask exists

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

the ghost of your dead grandma won't go in a pokeball no matter how hard you try

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Would pokemon completely break if they standardized all pokemon? Like, everyone gets max 600 stat points or whatever and the difference is in the distribution. Presumably some pokemon would still be better than others due to typing, ability, moves, etc, but at least it wouldn't automatically make 2/3 of pokemon non-competitive since they're not even evolved.

Don't know if anybody has tried to re-balance everything to 600 point spreads, but it wouldn't help even if they did. There are plenty of pokemon with good BSTs but all of the points are in bad spots for their types or move-sets and you'll still end up with general tiering because of this. Beyond the stuff with stats in all the wrong places it's more move-sets/abilities than stats that limit pokemon to certain tiers and by boosting everything all of the good stuff that isn't at 600 will still be better than the not-good stuff that isn't at 600.

The unevolved pokemon have "Little Cup" on simulators or times to shine in battle spot events throughout the year. If you like using a bunch of different pokemon competitively you need to be playing the official events and move through all of the tiers on simulators instead of just sticking to OU.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Stats are nowhere near the be-all end-all of a pokemon. Ability, movepool and typing often end up mattering much, much more than raw stats.

Like Scizor was kinda nothing special until it got Bullet Punch in Gen IV. Okay, but no one really used it for anything but Baton passing. That single move rocketed it to the absolute top of the usage chart, something ridiculous like 38% of all teams had a Scizor on them. And its still used more than Goodra and Hydreigon combined despite having 100 less BST than they do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't think of a worse idea then giving blissey and skarmory more stats to play with

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The worst part of Origins is that there isn't enough of it

Sure there's dumb stuff that doesn't make any in-game sense, but I don't watch a pokemon anime to simulate the games perfectly. aim for the horn

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zore posted:

1) Starters
2) Hoothoot
3) Sentret
4) Mareep
5) Wooper
6) Spinarak
7) Ledyba
8) Hopip
9) Dunsparse

Gen II way backloads its good pokemon, and the ones you can get early are mostly real bad. At least Gen IV gave a bunch of them evos to make them not total garbage.

Yeah I got all of those, and unfortunately chikorita, the one weak against bugs. Except I don't have ledyba, I assume she's a night Pokemon?

Right now I'm rocking Chikorita, Dunsparce, Spinarak, Wooper, HootHoot, and Sentret. Chiko is lvl 15, the others 13 except Hooty who is 14. Which let me tell you, way disheartening to use Peck, have it be super effective, and do like 1/8th or worse of some fuckers hp.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ka0 posted:

You could try leveling up.

The best wild Pokemon I can even encounter at this point are like level 6 metapod that give you about 20 XP.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

greatn posted:

Yeah I got all of those, and unfortunately chikorita, the one weak against bugs. Except I don't have ledyba, I assume she's a night Pokemon?

Right now I'm rocking Chikorita, Dunsparce, Spinarak, Wooper, HootHoot, and Sentret. Chiko is lvl 15, the others 13 except Hooty who is 14. Which let me tell you, way disheartening to use Peck, have it be super effective, and do like 1/8th or worse of some fuckers hp.

ledyba is a morning pokemon, and morning is the worst cause im always asleep during those hours

well pretending to be asleep i guess

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Raserys posted:

The worst part of Origins is that there isn't enough of it

Sure there's dumb stuff that doesn't make any in-game sense, but I don't watch a pokemon anime to simulate the games perfectly. aim for the horn

Theory here: Ash knows the move foresight. It explains a ton his bullshit strategies working.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

greatn posted:

You can get a (female) Geodude from dark cave or route 46 and solo the first 3 gyms with it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

greatn posted:

You chose... poorly.

Sentret evolves at level 15, and Chikorita at 16, and that should help you muscle through. Dusparce should have learned Glare which should help, and if you get it to 17 it completely wrecks Bugsy with Rollout. Honestly the second you're past this battle you're mostly in the clear. Headbutt gets you access to Pineco, Aipom and Heracross who are all actually good pokemon.

You just happened to choose the garbage starter and ignore the one kinda good early Gen II pokemon you can catch (Mareep).

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 28, 2016

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dexie posted:

Yeah, it does. It's got some weird...I don't want to say pacing issues, but it picks odd things to focus on in the limited time it has.

I hate that Red's Jolteon gets OHKO'd by Giovanni's Rhyhorn's Thunderbolt. What the hell?

I don't like that the whole thing ends up being an ad for XY with the reveal of Mega Charizard X at the end either.

It made me look up the fact that Rhyhorn actually can learn Thunderbolt. That's the true what the hell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It made me look up the fact that Rhyhorn actually can learn Thunderbolt. That's the true what the hell.

Rhydon can learn Surf.

Rhydon can learn a lot of weird bullshit

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think more pokemon are viable than most players realize. It's just that if you've got an 'em that specializes in fulfilling an uncommon strategic need and can pull off the more common one in a pinch, and another 'em that specializes in the more common role but can be made to do most of the less common one, then in a competitive standpoint there's little reason to choose the former over the latter.

Take Xatu and Espeon, as an example. These are two very similar pokemon because they're Psychic-type special attackers with Magic Bounce. If you've got an opening in your team for a Magic Bounce user, say because you have a sixth sense for when the opponent is going to try to launch some sneaky pebbles, these are your main choices. Xatu has a much better selection of highly situational support moves (though Espeon's certainly no slouch), while Espeon is much stronger and faster. Most teams can easily make room for a fast, strong special attacker. The particular combinations of support moves that Xatu can bring, however, are more specific and harder to fit in - and many of them are better provided by something that won't die as easily.

What matters is what fits in your team. If you want to use Xatu anyway, you can construct a team that Xatu's unique skills fit perfectly in, but it'll be hard to use. The mainstream competitive metagame isn't so much defined by the best pokemon as it is by the ones that are easiest to use well. And, of course, the popular ones become easier still because more analysis of them is published.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

What matters is what fits in your team. If you want to use Xatu anyway, you can construct a team that Xatu's unique skills fit perfectly in, but it'll be hard to use. The mainstream competitive metagame isn't so much defined by the best pokemon as it is by the ones that are easiest to use well. And, of course, the popular ones become easier still because more analysis of them is published.

This is a good way to explain it. There are plenty of unconventional teams that can work, but it takes a lot more effort and experimentation on your part to refine them. The most popular teams on Battlespot are the ones you can just read some guide about and throw out with no thought on your part.

Zore posted:

Rhydon can learn Surf.

Rhydon can learn a lot of weird bullshit

That's gen 1 for you. So many pokemon can learn moves they would never have if they got added in a modern game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yo so if I get all the pokes in my pc before getting the national dex they count as caught right

basically before sumo comes out I'll wipe my x/or saves and then dump my living dex in there so i have a fresh save file with a full pokedex before porting my dudes into the new gen which I presume is a point of no return. that makes sense right like whenever i decide to go back and start or/x anew then the shiny charm will be waiting for me when i get to it right

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zore posted:

You chose... poorly.

Sentret evolves at level 15, and Chikorita at 16, and that should help you muscle through. Dusparce should have learned Glare which should help, and if you get it to 17 it completely wrecks Bugsy with Rollout. Honestly the second you're past this battle you're mostly in the clear. Headbutt gets you access to Pineco, Aipom and Heracross who are all actually good pokemon.

You just happened to choose the garbage starter and ignore the one kinda good early Gen II pokemon you can catch (Mareep).

Cyndaquil looked like poo poo and I used water starter last time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Whitney was a tougher fucker with her rollout milk drink miltank

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Zore posted:

1) Starters
2) Hoothoot
3) Sentret
4) Mareep
5) Wooper
6) Spinarak
7) Ledyba
8) Hopip
9) Dunsparse

you can actually get s l u g m a before that point from primo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Gen I Pokemon are goddamn elemental wizards. That's how you end up with things like Raticate learning Thunderbolt and Bubble Beam, Tauros getting Blizzard and Fire Blast, and Nidoqueen learning Surf and Thunder and Ice Beam.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So I saw that special edition on Amazon with both Sun and Moon in the steelcase and is there really any point in getting it unless I live with someone that would want the other game? I wouldn't really want to play through it twice for the version exclusives, and I don't have a pokebank account.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

yo so if I get all the pokes in my pc before getting the national dex they count as caught right

basically before sumo comes out I'll wipe my x/or saves and then dump my living dex in there so i have a fresh save file with a full pokedex before porting my dudes into the new gen which I presume is a point of no return. that makes sense right like whenever i decide to go back and start or/x anew then the shiny charm will be waiting for me when i get to it right

Yep, that works just fine.

We don't know if there will be backwards compatibility between Gen 6 and 7. It might be something akin to the Time Capsule between Gen 1 and 2, but anything Gen 6 related will be pretty much dead, so there's not much of a reason to.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

greatn posted:

Cyndaquil looked like poo poo

What the hell kind of bullshit is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So I saw that special edition on Amazon with both Sun and Moon in the steelcase and is there really any point in getting it unless I live with someone that would want the other game? I wouldn't really want to play through it twice for the version exclusives, and I don't have a pokebank account.

the point is if you want both games in a nice case. if dont want both games then no, you dont want it