Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I'm plugging along with my goal of getting all of the achievements in the game. From the base game, the only one I have left is 50 humanoid headshot kills with the crossbow. From HoS I have the Ofieri armor one which I haven't done just because I was saving cash, and the one I'm having trouble with where you have to win a hand of Gwent with a power of 187 or more. I've looked at a couple of guides, but does anyone have any advice for getting 187 or more?

187 power: play northern realms, with as many of the tight bond creatures as possible, but most importantly two catapults. Play as few melee and ranged creatures as possible while still including 3+ blue stripes, 2 (idk if there are more available) crinfid reavers, spies, medics, and heroes. everything else in the siege slot, while still running the bare minimum of unit cards possible. Use the Foltest that lets you put a horn on your siege row on demand. I ran two decoys and two horns playing against another northern realms deck with a lot of spies; you want to draw as much of your deck as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agreeing with playing Northern Realms.
  • 4x Blue Stripes Commandos
  • 3x Crinfred Reivers
  • 1x Dandelion
  • 1x Villentretenmerth
  • 1xYennefer
  • 1x Geralt
  • 1x Ciri
  • 3x Catapult (or is it only 2x?)
  • 1x Commander's horn
  • 1x clear weather
  • all the spies and medics and decoys (8 total cards)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Nilfgaard with Relentless Emhyr is pretty insane too. With all Nilfgaardian spies plus Avallach AND decoys AND all those medics AND your leader ability? You pretty much win by outlasting everybody.

Also, finished the main quest again after HoS and Eredin is just :3: in comparison as villain. Whoever posted that he was Billy Corgan (Ava Adore phase) was spot on lol

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Bort Bortles posted:

Agreeing with playing Northern Realms.
  • 4x Blue Stripes Commandos

Isn't the fourth Blue Stripe Commando a bug?

Anyway, I go with Transmetropolitan's strategy also. Taking a card from the opponent's discard pile pretty much means that if you get one spy, you actually have two.

Also the disgusting amount of medics allows you to bait and dodge those scorches that ruin Tight Bonds.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's funny though, now im done with the books the first game feels like fan fiction, only 2 and 3 feel like true book sequels in characters/world terms. Witcher 1 just feels like some weird standalone fan fic. Good fan fic i guess but i'm half asleep and i dont think i can articulate what im babbling on about.

From what I know from interviews, it seems that TW1 wasn't even supposed to have Geralt in it. They showed the basic story to Andrej and he went "why isn't Geralt in?" and then they decided to make him the main character. Maybe they did it out of respect for the author, maybe they didn't think they could do the character justice.

It's kind of evident when you look at Alvin and compare him with Ciri, for example. They're very similar characters, and choosing Triss instead of Yennefer as a main romantic interest might be another example of that.

By TW3 they stopped caring and went full sequel to Lady of the Lake.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Halser posted:

Isn't the fourth Blue Stripe Commando a bug?

If 4 is a bug then I really don't understand, but will not complain about, the fact that I have 5 of them

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Palpek posted:

Not sentient ones. It's a thing both in the books and in the games where a witcher can refuse a contract if it's against a sentient monster. Of course it's a whole grey area and the running idea in the series is still that in a world full of actual monsters - as usual humans are the real monsters.

Geralt does this all the time though. There are so many situations in the books where he knows he should turn around but ends up going after a monster while cursing himself for having a soft heart. He's broke all the time because of that as well.

When we're speaking of dopplers, succubi, or even the mild tempered and hilarious variety of troll, sure.

When we're talking about Gaunter O'dimm, there's no shades of grey about where you let the sword fall.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I'm planning on replaying the game on the hardest difficulty and I would like to add some mods. Does anyone have a good list of the essential ones like a max inventory and auto-apply oils?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone know what exactly makes the health bar auto-hide or not? Seems a crapshoot lately.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I got the 187 achievement using Nilfgaard, but I think the easiest might be Skellige (I assume you can get the achievement with Skellige?). Skellige has so many high-strength Bond cards (Cerys and her shield maidens, ranged berserkers, siege longboats, and a few more) and with Dandelion and the uhhh Dandelion siege equivalent, you can quite easily get over 187. The only problem is you have only one spy, so your initial draw has to be a bit lucky. I think I even got 187 with a Monster deck but you've got to be REALLY lucky for that.

For Nilfgaard, make sure you're using all your spies and make sure to play somebody who's using preferably Nilfgaard but Northern Realms might work as well. Your opponent should have a deck with lots of spies and you don't want him to have the commander that negates your commander ability. The more spies that are in play, the better, whether they're being played by you or the other guy. You'll need decoys, some first-aid, and you'll probably want the commander card that let's you draw a card from your opponent's graveyard. With all this, spies should be getting played at least twice each which means you can draw your entire hand even if it's a few cards over the minimum deck size. Get rid of all the weather cards except one Clear Weather which you keep in your hand to the very end so they can't replay their weather cards. You don't need Scorch, but Villentretenmerth is good, because you can kill spies which will let the other guy first aid them or you can steal one from his graveyard. You'll want Dandelion and 2 Commander's Horns so you can double up all three rows. Everything else should be your highest strength cards regardless of row. Only keep hero cards that do something useful (first aid or spy) or are better than your worst other card's power x2 (You're going to have Commander's Horns on everything).

For the actual game strategy, you want your starting hand to have at least 3 spies. Nothing else matters since you're going to be using all your cards. Your goal the first round is to play as many spies as possible, decoy as many of his spies as you can, and maybe play Villentretenmerth if the opportunity presents itself. Second round you can first aid any spies you couldn't decoy in the first round (save the hero first aids for the last round) and if you have to, play a Black Infantry archer or a Heavy Zerrikanian scorpion which should scare him off. You hopefully lost the first round so they usually back off in the second round and you can play almost nothing and win, but sometimes they go for the throat. Just try again if this happens, you don't want to use any cards you can't first aid back and the third round is the best to go for 187 because you'll have had ample opportunity to play all your spies and your opponent will have played all his.

So now you're on the third round, and hopefully there's no cards in your draw pile and the only things in your graveyard are decoys and a few cards you can first aid back. Your only worry now is Scorch. Play heroes first and don't play anything that's the same strength or higher than the other guy's highest card. Best case scenario, he plays weather cards which means you can freely play anything to that row. You should have more cards than the other guy so it's just a waiting game. Play Commander's Horns and Dandelion as late as possible and play your Clear Weather last.

Very important that you get high, kill monsters, and nail a sorceress right after so that Geralt can achieve peak smirk.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone know what exactly makes the health bar auto-hide or not? Seems a crapshoot lately.

I believe it's just have full health, no timers counting down and not in combat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seems like walking around Novigrad with additional items turned on it won't hide.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished reading the thread. All i wanna say is that Witcher 3 is the greatest game i ever played. Now im going to do a Gwent run and play the loving thing all over again. Im also reading the books and in Lady of The Lake Geralt is reunited with Yen and Ciri and i dont want to read anymore.

Thanks Andrzej Sapkowski amd CDPR for a wonderful piece of entertainment.

pd: TeamYen or Essi Daven.

pd1:That guy in Vizima is kicking my rear end at Gwent.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 28, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

pd1:That guy in Vizima is kicking my rear end at Gwent.

He does that to everyone, it's near impossible to win with the cruddy deck you have at that point. Just leave, you can blitz him later.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's really not. Just git gud.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

you mean git lucky

it is possible to beat him, but you need a very good combination of cards and he must not draw his legendaries. You're just kinda hosed otherwise, your numbers just aren't big enough.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have all the cards from White Orchid. What should i do?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DoctorGonzo posted:

Start playing random merchants in Velen and Novigrad to beef up your decks. Most of the better cards aren't random drops though, and you'll need to play specific people.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
whenever you feel like playing gwent just play hearthstone instead

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DoctorGonzo posted:

I was being a bit facetious. It really is git lucky. It's perfectly reasonable to come back to him.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Robo Reagan posted:

whenever you feel like playing gwent just play hearthstone instead

:getout:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hearthstone is a not good game. It's like all the fun stuff about card games like watching your opponent have a meltdown in real time, or any sort of fun game mechanics, or any kind of serious strategy, is stripped out to keep games 10-15 minutes long and keep feelings from getting hurt. Hate that crap.

Gwent is good, though. So it's weird anyone would have the nerve to suggest giving it up for something that maybe conceptually started as a digital card game and became something way the hell worse.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I really do hope that CDPR does a good job of fleshing out gwent when they make it a standalone game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I can't wait until they release a really good mahjong minigame in cyberpunk! :v:

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I know it was being discussed a few pages back, but my take on Olgierd is Gaunter O'Dimm is ultimately at fault for what happened to Iris. While Olgierd was probably vain and reckless to start, he truly loved Iris, and she truly loved him. The visions Geralt sees are never from their happier times - by the time of even the first vision, Olgierd has already taken an interest in O'Dimm as a possible solution to his problems, and by the third or fourth vision he's already made the wish. Olgierd himself says that after the wish he feels nothing. Without any sort of empathy (due to O'Dimm literally turning his heart to stone), he can't really understand how his actions are affecting others. He's pretty much incapable of caring that his actions are bad.

I never got the impression he was a great guy, but I don't think it's hard to really trace Olgierd's downfall to O'Dimm's twisting of his wish.

Ultimately I had to side with Olgierd, as O'Dimm is really the greater evil. I felt like I needed to show O'Dimm he couldn't just gently caress with me or anyone else on a whim by beating him at his own game. Worst case is Olgierd would live in fear that Geralt would come for justice later, but this was probably my only chance to directly gently caress over the Devil himself (excluding the B&W nod).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd side against O'Dimm in my playthroughs because of what he represents. Death isn't the end in The Witcher universe, as evidenced by the number of sentient ghosts that exist. The alternative is oblivion, or having your soul ripped out by evil incarnate. People might deserve it, like Olgierd, but a simple death has the same result without the existential annihilation.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Toussaint sure is pretty. Having such a colorblast in comparison to Velen is a nice change.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Well, I guess if any game was gonna cook my gfx card it'd be this one. RIP 7950.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Arcsquad12 posted:

There needs to be a mod that let's you wear the glasses and ears simultaneously

Appearances Mod Menu let's you have the glasses on all the time regardless of having them equipped.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Are there any known issues with newer cards or anything?

I didn't play this game for a whole year and decided to finish it since I got a new video card and wanted to see if it could run it on beast settings, but I loaded it and it seems really choppy to me. I have a GTX 1070 and 16 GB ram and a 3.5 GHz i5 and I can't seem to run it at 2560x1600 on Ultra even though it tested at like 45-50 FPS at 4k in some online sites' benchmarks. What are some good things to turn off that might increase performance that I probably wouldn't notice being off?

Also I mean I remember running the game and thinking it looked fine on the GTX 980 that I had before this. Did the performance get worse since they changed the UI and all that?

Also I can't find the brightness/gamma setting. Am I just an idiot or is there actually not one? I googled and all I could find was people saying to play in fullscreen, which I am.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there any known issues with newer cards or anything?

I didn't play this game for a whole year and decided to finish it since I got a new video card and wanted to see if it could run it on beast settings, but I loaded it and it seems really choppy to me. I have a GTX 1070 and 16 GB ram and a 3.5 GHz i5 and I can't seem to run it at 2560x1600 on Ultra even though it tested at like 45-50 FPS at 4k in some online sites' benchmarks. What are some good things to turn off that might increase performance that I probably wouldn't notice being off?

Also I mean I remember running the game and thinking it looked fine on the GTX 980 that I had before this. Did the performance get worse since they changed the UI and all that?

Also I can't find the brightness/gamma setting. Am I just an idiot or is there actually not one? I googled and all I could find was people saying to play in fullscreen, which I am.

Turn off hairworks.

I've seen that Nvidia streaming services really doesn't play well with the Witcher 3 so follow this to disable it.
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/27/disable-nvidia-streamer-service-to-improve-video-card-performance/

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 29, 2016

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Well I've been sliding my way on through Blood and Wine and I love how 105 hours in I can still be surprised by a quest or a bit of humor. I now know that swearing on the heron might be construed as mockery when swearing a vow to a bird woman. I was so sure I was being chivalrous with my "Geralt that thinks Toussaint is corny but appreciable" run, but no, I'm a snarky dick and I can't take it back! I also have to love that even the title of that quest has a loving bird joke in it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's actually kind of terrifying that CDPR is promising that Cyberpunk is going to be bigger than Witcher 3...a single playthrough (including both expensions) took 138 hours. That included most of the sidequests that weren't the fistfighting and horseracing ones, to be fair, but drat. I don't think a single playthrough of a game has ever taken that many hours before, or even come close. Though I have yet to fire up GTA V, maybe that will do it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I actually hope that they set their cyberpunk game in cyberpunk Poland instead of making yet another game about North America.

A cyberpunk GTA in near future Krakow would be neat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

l33t b4c0n posted:

I know it was being discussed a few pages back, but my take on Olgierd is Gaunter O'Dimm is ultimately at fault for what happened to Iris. While Olgierd was probably vain and reckless to start, he truly loved Iris, and she truly loved him. The visions Geralt sees are never from their happier times - by the time of even the first vision, Olgierd has already taken an interest in O'Dimm as a possible solution to his problems, and by the third or fourth vision he's already made the wish. Olgierd himself says that after the wish he feels nothing. Without any sort of empathy (due to O'Dimm literally turning his heart to stone), he can't really understand how his actions are affecting others. He's pretty much incapable of caring that his actions are bad.

I never got the impression he was a great guy, but I don't think it's hard to really trace Olgierd's downfall to O'Dimm's twisting of his wish.

Ultimately I had to side with Olgierd, as O'Dimm is really the greater evil. I felt like I needed to show O'Dimm he couldn't just gently caress with me or anyone else on a whim by beating him at his own game. Worst case is Olgierd would live in fear that Geralt would come for justice later, but this was probably my only chance to directly gently caress over the Devil himself (excluding the B&W nod).

Even from the first vision, Olgierd had made the deal I think. Remember that Iris was betrothed to the Ofieri prince so her marrying Olgierd had to be after the deal was made and the prince was frogged

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yes, but the later visions still show Olgierd being in debt and trying to contact Gaunter. Like I said, it feels like Olgierd has two separate origin stories.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Megazver posted:

I actually hope that they set their cyberpunk game in cyberpunk Poland instead of making yet another game about North America.

That would be cool - one of the best things about Sleeping Dogs was that it wasn't set in North America. There was some PS game years ago that was set in London, which was also really neat. More games set outside the US (and not set in what the US would stereotype another city/country as) would be a great thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Megazver posted:

I wonder what direction they'll take it as Cyberpunk's setting is already known given that it's based on an existing rpg system. It's basically a giant open-world noir city and it could definitely have parts influenced by different cultures including Poland but I doubt it will have this character present everywhere.

I'm definitely expecting cyber winged Hussars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Shadowrun: Dragonfall was set in a commune in Berlin. It was really loving neat.