Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nope. Apple doesn't do them for watch OS.

Reason being, as stated above, you cannot roll back the watch software, so if something wrong happens, you would have to stick it out until the official release comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have the modular watch face on my watch with a calendar complication on it. Often it doesn't update even after the meeting, like right now it's stuck on a meeting from 2:30-3:30pm. Anyone have this issue? Anyway to fix it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boner Wad posted:

I have the modular watch face on my watch with a calendar complication on it. Often it doesn't update even after the meeting, like right now it's stuck on a meeting from 2:30-3:30pm. Anyone have this issue? Anyway to fix it?

Calendar.app? Open the app outright on the watch. Another calendar app that isn't fantastical? Open the app on the iphone, when that doesn't work reboot the watch. Fantastical? Uninstall and reinstall, wait for watch os 3 where this hasn't been an issue for anyone I'm aware of--myself included.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

It works fine, but I regret it. Your phone has to be on iOS 10 for it to work, but if you want to go back to iOS 9, you're out of luck, kinda. The watch can't be downgraded by a user, it has to be sent to Apple. So going to iOS 9 means spending 3 days without a watch.

Why would you want to roll back from ios 9? 10 is pretty great.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is the beta stable now?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
the 10 beta has been working wonderfully for me on my phone. It's really good.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This was 2 or 3 betas ago. I couldn't install updates and my phone would routinely cut off at 90% and need to be plugged in before it would turn back on only to tell me I still had 90% battery.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely seems like all that's been ironed out. I get better battery life than I did on 9. I did have an issue with the phone restarting on its own periodically but that hasn't happened since an update or two ago.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I haven't had any major issues on phone or watch with the betas, just what seems like slightly worse battery life.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where can you get the watchOS 3 beta?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where can you get the watchOS 3 beta?

There's no public beta for it. And you don't download the beta directly. You go to a page with the watchos 3 beta profile file on your phone, it prompts to install on your watch, and then software update in the watch app offers to install the beta.

So really it's a matter of finding the watchos 3 beta profile.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So I just picked up a Watch. The OP seems kinda outdated -- what's the first thing I should be doing, must have apps, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There are no general must have apps, really, imo. Specific use cases may be different (e.g. If you cycle).

Possibly something like Reminders Nano because the watch doesn't sync with your Reminders list until OS3 comes out in the fall.

Personally about the only "first thing" I'd do is, if you don't think you'll use it, turn off Hey Siri. I've found it can be a significant battery drain.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You'll probably have a better answer next month when WatchOS 3 drops. Right now 3rd party apps can't really take advantage of the new stuff in it. Once that happens, it's hard to say what 'must have apps' there may be.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think it'd still be specific use cases...it's just that they hopefully actually work consistently enough in OS 3, vs spinning around for ages and possibly just crashing instead of working.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sleep Cycle not having watch support is making me hella mad. The one sleep tracking app that's out (Pillow I think it is) is terrible.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sleep Cycle not having watch support is making me hella mad. The one sleep tracking app that's out (Pillow I think it is) is terrible.

I use and like Sleep++.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't use it for sleep, but HeartWatch does some sleep tracking stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a reason why my Apple Watch never fills up the exercise ring when I select outdoor walk? I walked for 90 minutes and the ring didn't budge at all.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
You're probably walking too slowly for it to be considered exercise. Not sure what the exact criteria is, but it's probably based on estimated speed or heart rate..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a reason why my Apple Watch never fills up the exercise ring when I select outdoor walk? I walked for 90 minutes and the ring didn't budge at all.
Yeah I've noticed it takes a long loving outdoor walk for it to fill up that ring.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Weird, mine fills the ring all the time, though it's always slightly below the time I actually walked. Seems like it counts after walking the first few minutes. But then again, I get training minutes for just walking around my apartment and doing chores, too.

If you're actually doing walking as an exercise, why not start a workout? That way it should reliably track it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If anyone's interested, Best Buy is having a two-day sale and has a lot of (but not all) watch combos on sale. Mostly $50 off Sport watches and $100 or $200 off some SS ones.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Is the BB deal for $300 worth it or would people recommend I hold off until the next version is released? I've read some rumors that it's coming soon, but so far it's completely speculation from what I've seen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That Apple event is pretty close. I would wait. If we don't get a refresh on 9/7, jump on the next deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here take their AW kayaking? I'm thinking more like sea kayaking, not whitewater kayaking where you might bash it against rocks. Just wondering how the waterproof or watertight works in the real world. Worst I'm expecting is to be in the water for maybe two minutes at a time, never deeper than 1m or so. Freshwater to boot. Should be ok y/n?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some dude here said his bother surfs with his and hasn't had an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's officially water resistant, not water proof, though it's supposed to be good for 1 meter for 30 minutes. Doing surface-level stuff should be fine. I've gone swimming with mine multiple times without issue.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I've washed my hands with mine on and it's been fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok well sounds like I should be fine. If I'm in the water for more than 30 minutes I have bigger problems than my watch.

Now to play the waiting game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've glanced at some rain while indoors with my watch and it still works.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Calm down there, cowboy. You better not tell Apple about that if something happens to it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Athletic Footjob posted:

Calm down there, cowboy. You better not tell Apple about that if something happens to it.

Doesn't matter. They'll just know.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple's official advice if the crown sticks is to run it under warm water while spinning and pressing it the crown.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My cat grabbed my wife's watch while she was showering one day and it ended up in the water bowl. For like an hour. Didn't hurt it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just took my watch in the Atlantic Ocean for about 15 mins and it seems fine (forgot I had it on).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a thread for smart watches in general? I'm trying to find a decent one for tracking my exercise that has a long battery life

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Is there a thread for smart watches in general? I'm trying to find a decent one for tracking my exercise that has a long battery life

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459618

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've used mine in the shower, swimming, pond water, etc. and it's fine. But I'll tell you what not to do: hot tubs. I had put a pretty big scratch in my Watch's display while at work back in December, but I held off on having it replaced with AppleCare so that I could wear the broken one without fear of breaking it further and train myself to wear expensive jewelry since I hadn't worn a watch since high school. So I wore my Watch all day everyday for like six more months and got so used to it I forgot to take it off before hopping in a hot tub while on vacation. Later that evening I noticed the display had turned blood red. I could still interact with it, but it was all distorted and looked like the hell video from Event Horizon. Before I could take a picture of it, the screen slowly faded to black and it refused to work after that. Apple replaced it (for the usual replacement fee of like $50 or whatever it is) but I felt naked for the rest of my trip without it.

Edit: I bring up the screen scratch because I think water also got into the unit, so it wasn't just the heat that killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
For those of you that use sleep trackers, when do you charge your watch?

• Locked thread