Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for Thea: The Awakening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Kalenden posted:

Blunt weapons are good because your hit can carry over to the next card.
Don't be afraid to skip combat against feeble opponents, the AI is decent.
Buildings help you attract people (etc) to your settlement, and can attract more or different species depending on the building material you use. Humans like nuts or grains in their pastures, if I remember correctly. (Or is it their cabbage fields? Been a while since I played, sorry.)

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 28, 2016

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Kalenden posted:

Play on a high custom difficulty to get extra God XP (and have more fun). I'd suggest the 12 card limit, no reshuffles, and furious enemy aggression, as the first one won't affect you if you're not already doing well and the latter two make the game faster. I say this as someone who doesn't usually like hard 4Xes.

You can't see resources until you research the one below them.

Cooking food doubles (or more) the food value, while making it lighter and increasing variety, so get cooking, even if it's just turning your meat into jerky.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 28, 2016

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mr. Dragoon posted:

I bought Conquest of Elysium 4 since it was on sale and the concept was intriguing. However I got no idea what to do since every class plays so differently.

What class do you want tips for?

For starting out you probably want a class with an easy start like the troll king. The troll king regenerates to full health after every fight and can recover from losing an eye and such. Don't fight anything that casts spells or is bigger than you. You can check out enemy forces by right clicking their icons, same with individual unit stats. Visit a swamp and take good care of your mother. Invest some of your fungus into making forests into carrion forests. Carrion forests auto-spawn little critters that wander around and kill things for you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Assassin's Creed Syndicate will I be forced to play as Evie or Jacob? I'm figuring out how specialized I want them to be but if there are going to be long sections where I can't switch then making them both more well-rounded is the better bet.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Napolean Total War? I feel like its been asked before but found nothing on the wiki.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Witcher 1 is a janky, ugly, slow, padded, low quality crap fest, and that was in 2007.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lobok posted:

For Assassin's Creed Syndicate will I be forced to play as Evie or Jacob? I'm figuring out how specialized I want them to be but if there are going to be long sections where I can't switch then making them both more well-rounded is the better bet.

There are two or three missions every chapter that are exclusive to each character. You get enough EXP and resources to get everything, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Hold on to neuropozyne, people trade things for it. All the mobility augs are still good, yes. High jump is great for finding areas to access, poison gas breathing is more useful than in the previous game too. Smart vision is basically detective mode and is also recommended. Hacking is still incredibly useful, but don't worry about unlocking level 5 hacking, just multitool that poo poo. The rewards are generally worth it. CASIE is still good if you like to win every argument and is pretty cheap considering how plentiful praxis is this time around. Without wishing to spoil things, it makes one sidequest more interesting too.

There's some easily missed sidequests. Snoop around the courtyard near Adam's apartment for one, and when you've got some tools (ie. good guns and ammo), head down the sewer grate, again near Adam's apartment, for a couple more encounters.

Thanks for the tips. And yeah, I've already run into two people asking for neuropozyne and I've barely started exploring the first hub. Naturally I'd already sold it :downs:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Any thoughts on Sorceror King?

I'm kind of bouncing off the tile based combat, and combined with auto-turns is making it very tricky to get a feel for it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks for the tips. And yeah, I've already run into two people asking for neuropozyne and I've barely started exploring the first hub. Naturally I'd already sold it :downs:

Speaking of which, is it worth it to trade neuropzyne for info with the guy outside your apartment bloc? Or is this another Letitia the Bum thing where they tell you poo poo you should already know because this is a Deus Ex game (i.e., there's multiple entrances and multiple routes through everything, people hide valuable things, etc.)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lobok posted:

They have separate story missions in each chapter, you just pick which ones get done first. The only thing you absolutely need to prioritise upgrading ASAP as a skill is Lockpicking. It makes some infiltrations much easier, along with opening chests as you find them rather than having to come back later.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

limp_cheese posted:

Napolean Total War? I feel like its been asked before but found nothing on the wiki.

Check out our very own Total War Megathread

The OP has some good stuff for folks new to the series.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

chairface posted:

Check out our very own Total War Megathread

The OP has some good stuff for folks new to the series.

I read through the OP. It was huge and not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the usual things. Units that are good, units to avoid, things that aren't intuitive, the usual poo poo people come to this thread for. I've played Rome Total War so I have an understanding of the basics and I don't give a poo poo about playing this game seriously.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? Mostly I'm wondering if any augs are essential early on vs. what can wait. Also if there's any clear winners when it comes to equipment?

In Human Revolution unlocking the access new areas augs (wall punch, high jump, etc) was essential, and silenced pistols were baller so I'm going to assume this is still true unless someone tells me otherwise.
I find the Remote Hacking very useful for getting around cameras before you may have the stealth & hacking to disable them via the computer console. They also means tripmines are suddenly less of an issue, which also can open up some paths. Wallpunch, highjump and the remove fall damage augs are still good. Lifting heavy thing aug as well, since they like to put vents behind heavy things.

A few energy upgrades are also handy early on, since otherwise you end up only being able to one thing at a time. I've had a few times where I needed to do a takedown, and was out of energy, leading to me getting spotted.

For non-lethal takedown weapons, stun-gun ammo seems more readily available early on than tranq rifle.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I hate to recommend day 1 DLC, but the aug bundled in with the Tactical Pack, the Micro Assembler, is amazing. It not only reduces the cost of crafting, but allows you to dissemble anything in your inventory into crafting parts. Someone in another thread pointed out that money is of limited use so holding on to guns and ammo to sell is pointless, but you can craft biocells, multitools for instant hacking, as well as aug ammo (typhoon, tesla, nanoblades) on the fly. This trivializes the inventory management aspect by letting you Dead Space-style only focus on the weapons you actually use, but turns anything you don't use into piles of usefulness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have separate story missions in each chapter, you just pick which ones get done first. The only thing you absolutely need to prioritise upgrading ASAP as a skill is Lockpicking. It makes some infiltrations much easier, along with opening chests as you find them rather than having to come back later.

Cool, thanks! I love making money in games so I want lockpicking on both characters ASAP. Got it on Evie, will have to check Jacob.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Dragoon posted:

I bought Conquest of Elysium 4 since it was on sale and the concept was intriguing. However I got no idea what to do since every class plays so differently.

This thread is three pages long and full of what I think are good tips:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751296

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? Mostly I'm wondering if any augs are essential early on vs. what can wait. Also if there's any clear winners when it comes to equipment?

In Human Revolution unlocking the access new areas augs (wall punch, high jump, etc) was essential, and silenced pistols were baller so I'm going to assume this is still true unless someone tells me otherwise.

It's probably a good idea to try and keep 2 praxis free at all times in case you run into an obstacle that you need to jump over, punch through, move, hack or breathe through.
If you pick up a gun that you already have, you get only the ammo. You can drop weapons anywhere so if you want to make some money don't pick up duplicate guns. They'll stick around for quite a long time (I think Prague stays the same until you go to the helipad.) Pick up one of each gun, sell them. Repeat. I haven't found much to buy other than the two praxis points.

If you like being a sneaky puncher guy, I found that I haven't needed a gun much at all. In the tutorial mission I needed the tranq rifle at the very end for the ambush. In prague, there's a story mission that you use a helicopter to go somewhere. I needed an emp round from a pistol to take out one guy. I don't know about after that.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DOOM (2016) page is a little light. Any other good tips? Suggested weapon mods?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

1redflag posted:

Super Shotgun owns and the movement runes are top tier. Though in the SP you can play mostly any way you like, it's fun all around.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

1redflag posted:

If you explore you'll get all of them by the end of the game.

I would suggest getting the armor mods that let you see secrets.

Otherwise just murder some demons how you see fit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything for God Eater?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Now that Arcanum is on steam - anything worthwhile the wiki is missing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

1redflag posted:

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Bullets are very annoying to craft. If you're going tech, melee is less busywork, but bear in mind that there are certain enemies that will degrade equipment and do damage in response to melee attacks. Or, just go magic and feel smug.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Xander77 posted:

The wiki is extremely on point.

Note that the following tips:

quote:

- If you're a mage, get Harm.
- Fighting loving hard enemies? Have Harm ready and turn the battle on to free time and rapid-fire Harm as the enemy runs at you. You'll attack a lot faster and far, far more often than turn based.
- Dexterity is probably the most important attribute, since it governs most combat skills, as well as the thief abilities as well. If you want to succeed at melee, you need DX more than you need strength (although that helps, too).
will result in the game being piss-easy. Harm is good and easily available from the beginning clear to the end and a high-Dex Harm mage can basically solo IIRC. If not 100%, then 90% with the dog for backup.

Additionally, maxing out your stats (20+) results in added god-tier bonuses. The one for Dex is really nice but they're all useful.

Lastly, read the manual, it's pretty well done and helps get into the lore and setting without being a total brick. It's got hella style.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Poison Mushroom posted:

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Please post to WIKI, but be sure to give GamePro the credit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kenny Logins posted:

Harm is good and easily available from the beginning clear to the end and a high-Dex Harm mage can basically solo IIRC. If not 100%, then 90% with the dog for backup.
Yeah, I managed to clear out The Boil the moment I got there (straight from Shrouded Hills) the last time I was playing (thanks to Sold Soul / Dark Helm - now that I think about it, does Magick alignment affect your spell skills, anyways?). I'm more interested in a good gunslinger/tech this time around.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Xander77 posted:

now that I think about it, does Magick alignment affect your spell skills, anyways?
Damage-dealing spells are resisted by resistance to type of damage, not resistance to magic. The victim's (but not the caster's) technological affinity also matters, if it's positive, but most enemies in the game don't have positive tech affinity. If they do, the damage is reduced by a random percentage which is capped by the degree of tech affinity: in other words, a max tech affinity may receive 1-100% reduction in damage for a particular casting of a damage spell, where a mildly tech-aligned person might get 1-10% for any given casting.

Damage-dealing spells may also be subject to the victim's saving throw for half damage. Damage number ranges given aren't randomly rolled but rather tend to be lower in the range when you're lower level and higher when you're experienced. Importantly, Harm doesn't have a saving throw. Mastery of a particular school is not always smart but it does cut mana costs in half. Catch is, you can only master one college.

Arcanum has a crazy, beautiful system at work with a main quest that shipped at about about 50-75% completion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is it fair to say then that arcanum is a game I should skip if I like games with good stories/workd-building, but dislike complex rpg mechanics?

I'm curious about the game but I don't wanna buy it if I'm gonna hate it. That $6 could buy me a coffee or most of a hamburger

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it fair to say then that arcanum is a game I should skip if I like games with good stories/workd-building, but dislike complex rpg mechanics?

I'm curious about the game but I don't wanna buy it if I'm gonna hate it. That $6 could buy me a coffee or most of a hamburger

You can just do the Harm spell + dex build, which turns the complex system into a simple and stupid one. Arcanum has a very interesting and unique world.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Arcanum's setting and story are cool, if suffering from a phoned-in third act. As mentioned, Harm + Dex turns it into Super-Easy Story Mode so you can experience the things you like.

Graphically it's basically a Spiderweb Software game at this point.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

Graphically it's basically a Spiderweb Software game at this point.
It's still pretty in ways Spiderweb games never aspired to be. The character design is a bit uninspired, but the environments are still pretty neat. You can tell just how magic / tech some place is at a glance.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Recently started Assassin's Creed III. I have all the dlc if it matters. Is there anything I should be prioritizing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

juliuspringle posted:

Recently started Assassin's Creed III. I have all the dlc if it matters. Is there anything I should be prioritizing?

The naval missions are fun. Do them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

juliuspringle posted:

Play the story missions hard until you get to the naval missions, then enjoy ship-to-ship combat. It's really the best part of the game, hence why they made Black Flag.

A bit of general advice: at least in my experience, ACIII is where the combat difficulty went up a few notches. Be ready to not be an invincible demigod in a fight, as the mooks are a lot less nice and tend to attack more than one or two at a time.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

A bit of general advice: at least in my experience, ACIII is where the combat difficulty went up a few notches. Be ready to not be an invincible demigod in a fight, as the mooks are a lot less nice and tend to attack more than one or two at a time.

Nothing in the AC series will ever be as enjoyably challenging as using the hidden blade in combat during AC1, before they decided you should be allowed to block using it (???) from 2 onwards.

For content, I'm picking up Mirror's Edge Catalyst, I played the first one a million times back in the day. Is there anything I should be aware of this time round?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's not really any more complex than any other Infinity Engine game. It's no Icewind Dale 2, but far from inscrutable. The interesting character creation and world building make it totally worth it. Plus, like everyone else said, Harm and Dex makes the game ezpz

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Other way around honestly, the setting and world-building is really strong and well-done and the mechanics are essentially utter garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a kid, I probably spent more time reading the manual than playing the game. Arcanum was kinda hard.