Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If 'intrigued' means 'thinking about watching' and not 'watched and found interesting' my recommendation is to watch Mushishi

Yeah, those are things I either haven't seen at all or have seen an episode or two and like the looks of it.

Also, yeah I'm not a big fan of high school settings but can overlook it if the show is good otherwise.

Thanks for the recommendations, looks like good stuff. :)

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flcl is awesome, definitely watch it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Colonel posted:

flcl is awesome, definitely watch it

This one. And make sure you watch the dub.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

What is this madness?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

:whitewater:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, those are things I either haven't seen at all or have seen an episode or two and like the looks of it.

Also, yeah I'm not a big fan of high school settings but can overlook it if the show is good otherwise.

Thanks for the recommendations, looks like good stuff. :)

WATCH MUSHISHI

For best results, watch an hour or so before bed. You will have the best sleep of your life. It's the most wonderfully chill, zen show I've ever seen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

WATCH MUSHISHI

For best results, watch an hour or so before bed. You will have the best sleep of your life. It's the most wonderfully chill, zen show I've ever seen.

Maybe don't do that for the Cotton Changeling (I think it was called that?) from S1.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have never watched flcl dubbed

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jabarto posted:

Could use a few recommendations.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 28, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
FLCL has a solid dub. They seem to have prioritized getting VAs that sound like the jp characters. If you're a filthy dub-watcher, it's a good choice, though I prefer the jp audio.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Haibane Renmei and Mushishi are v good, if you watch and enjoy both of them I would then strongly recommend Tatami Galaxy and Kino's Journey which are both similarly weird but incredibly captivating.

If you like all of these but want something more psychologically damaging and darkly humourous I suggest Welcome to the NHK

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
FLCL's dub is good, fools!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

FLCL's dub is good, fools!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

moyashimon is a good college romcom

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can anyone recommend any good anime based on western media? Like the halo anime or xmen anime. Is there any other or any of them good?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

Can anyone recommend any good anime based on western media? Like the halo anime or xmen anime. Is there any other or any of them good?

uh... i think staff from the big o worked on the batman animated series? aside from that you could watch the SiN movie, which is based off of a mediocre fps from around the time half-life 1 got released and is decent for the first twenty minutes and hilariously bad for the last chunk

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ulysees 31

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Howl's Moving Castle and Gankutsuou: The Conte of Monte Cristo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater

https://myanimelist.net/anime/431/Howl_no_Ugoku_Shiro

https://myanimelist.net/anime/239/Gankutsuou

this should keep you busy for a year

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ulio posted:

If I stretch this question almost to the point of snapping I would cite Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt as "what if Drawn Together were good, and funny, and somewhat more intelligent, and about anime instead of Western animation?"

Otherwise I'd just second Gankutsuou.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh I didn't know Howl's Moving Castle was based on a western work but I have watched it. It's weird because I have heard of the author but never knew she wrote it.

Is the Ghibli Earthsea adaptation any good? I know a lot of people hate Goro Miyazaki's works compared to his father's but I loved the books by Ursula Guin so I wanted to know if the movie is worth watching even though its only based on one of the later books. First book was the best imo.

I'll check out Ulysees 31, never heard of it but am interested in an adaptation of Greek Mythology in anime format.

Gankutsuou I have heard and seen, everyone talks about how beautiful it looks. I know the basic story of The Count of Monte Cristo but I always get it recommended by people saying its one of the best books ever. I only watched one episode of the anime when it aired but never got back to it and the books is huge kinda daunting to read but I want to read it. I always wanted to know if I watch the anime will it ruin reading the book or is the material slightly different?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've heard the earthsea adaptation isn't great. I bet it's better than the live action tv version tho. :v:

Probably just best to stick with the books.

There's a Lensman anime, based off a space opera from the 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh, there's an anime of deltora quest, also. it exists literally because, according to the author of the books, her kids loved that japanese animation stuff

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

oh, there's an anime of deltora quest, also. it exists literally because, according to the author of the books, her kids loved that japanese animation stuff

I watched like 30 episodes, it's fun for a while if you have nostalgia for the books but they start padding things out super bad when they realize they have 52 episodes to fill and each book has like 4 episodes of material max

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Ulio posted:

Gankutsuou I have heard and seen, everyone talks about how beautiful it looks. I know the basic story of The Count of Monte Cristo but I always get it recommended by people saying its one of the best books ever. I only watched one episode of the anime when it aired but never got back to it and the books is huge kinda daunting to read but I want to read it. I always wanted to know if I watch the anime will it ruin reading the book or is the material slightly different?

The Count of Monte Cristo is actually pretty low-brow. Dumas sort of originated the school of writing that later gave us Dan Brown and Tom Clancy. It's not exactly a thriller, and certainly better than those authors, but Dumas isn't really held in the same regard as Hugo or Flaubert or whoever. Still, you don't get to be remembered for so long by writing boring books. It's a classic in the field of decade-spanning revenge fantasies.

Gankutsuou is an extremely loose adaptation of the book, and also a really great show that you should watch. Like, the main character of the anime is only a supporting character in the book, it's that loose. It will spoil some plot twists, probably, but I wouldn't worry if you already know the outline.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Mushi-shi a generally recommended show here for non-anime watchers?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dire Wombat posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo is actually pretty low-brow. Dumas sort of originated the school of writing that later gave us Dan Brown and Tom Clancy. It's not exactly a thriller, and certainly better than those authors, but Dumas isn't really held in the same regard as Hugo or Flaubert or whoever. Still, you don't get to be remembered for so long by writing boring books. It's a classic in the field of decade-spanning revenge fantasies.

Gankutsuou is an extremely loose adaptation of the book, and also a really great show that you should watch. Like, the main character of the anime is only a supporting character in the book, it's that loose. It will spoil some plot twists, probably, but I wouldn't worry if you already know the outline.

Oh thanks for the answer. Seems like I'll give the anime a try because the book is a lot longer and I don't own it.

Also what are the best anime from the World Masterpiece Theater? I have already seen most of Heidi and a bit of Anne of Green Gables.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Mushi-shi a generally recommended show here for non-anime watchers?

It's really really good, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't throw up at the sight of animation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

I always wondered why that existed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I made a review post for The Count of Monte Cristo (the original book) in the Type-Moon thread of all places, which I might as well quote here.

Silver2195 posted:

A lot of it is surprisingly bad, too. There's some good ideas in there (the basic plot of Edmond getting revenge on the people who wrongly imprisoned him without using direct violence, Eugenie's subplot, Noirtier's subplot), but it's clogged with bad ideas:

• The whole Valentine/Maximilien romance. I just don't care about them.
  • Fernand's character changes radically offscreen without any real explanation. He's always an rear end in a top hat, but he starts out as a hot-blooded rear end in a top hat who's proud of his Catalan heritage. At some point he becomes a calculating backstabber who pretends to be Parisian.
  • It feels like we're supposed to hate Danglars as much for his bad aesthetic taste as for his actions.
  • While I can certainly accept that Mercedes wouldn't stay loyal to Edmond's memory forever, it still seems weird that she marries Fernand specifically.
  • Dumas tries to have his cake and eat it too with the morality of revenge. Edmond showing "mercy" by letting Danglars live after bankrupting him and getting him kidnapped, for example. Worse, Dumas makes a point of Edmond being shocked by his actions unintentionally leading to Edouard's death after going out of his way to make Edouard as unlikable as possible, even though Edouard is a child.
  • I have trouble accepting that Edmond's Byronic edgelord schtick as the Count gets him admired rather than laughed at, even in 19th-century France. Though perhaps this is intentional social commentary (the poor are crazy, the rich merely eccentric).
  • It's also kind of funny how exotic Haydee is considered for being...a shut-in NEET. Her overcoming her shut-in-ness long enough to testify against Fernand is a good scene, though.

I should add that the part with Edmond is prison near the beginning was another one of the good parts. I should also note that the standard public domain translation (by an anonymous translator -- the 19th century equivalent of Baka-Tsuki?) is quite bad: full of clunky purple prose and occasionally bowlderized. The Penguin Classics translation is a considerable improvement.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Is the Ghibli Earthsea adaptation any good? I know a lot of people hate Goro Miyazaki's works compared to his father's but I loved the books by Ursula Guin so I wanted to know if the movie is worth watching even though its only based on one of the later books. First book was the best imo.

a kitten posted:

I've heard the earthsea adaptation isn't great. I bet it's better than the live action tv version tho. :v:

Dear lord, no, it's awful. Stay far away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just saw video girl ai pop up on kissmanga. I remember seeing ads all the time for that in magazines when I was a kid, is it any good? Says it's completed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Just saw video girl ai pop up on kissmanga. I remember seeing ads all the time for that in magazines when I was a kid, is it any good? Says it's completed.

I don't remember a thing about it, but I've seen it and apparently gave it a 5/10.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really. It's not really a well-written story I'd easily recommend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was probably just a case of "wowee, it's this new thing called japanimation, and this is one of the first things we licensed so we're plastering it on everything!" then

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is Birdy the Mighty Decode worth watching? I know absolutely nothing about it other than Funimation is losing the streaming rights.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

J-Spot posted:

Is Birdy the Mighty Decode worth watching? I know absolutely nothing about it other than Funimation is losing the streaming rights.

I thought it was pretty rad. Second season was better though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

J-Spot posted:

Despite initial appearances, it is some legit fantastic sci-fi. It also doesn't pull punches when it has to go dark and bloody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

J-Spot posted:

season 1 is ok, season 2 is one of the best character-driven sci-fi shows ever made