Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My stat screen scares me because I considered myself a "Lucio main" if that's even a thing, but lately trying to get some of the achievements/trophies/whatever done so whenever I pop it up I see
Lucio (11 hours)
Genji (8 hours)

Which is way more time as Genji then I thought I'd ever really play. It's also pathetic I guess that I don't have either of his yet despite that hefty playtime :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wouldn't sweat it, ten hours is like the bare minimum of "just starting to get familiar with this character."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Boogle posted:

Chokepoints? Lucio says "gently caress the choke, lets speed-boost."

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

Yeah, that went amazingly well. We just strolled in and went "Look at me. This is our point now".

And then I took an axe to people's faces.

/edit:

Boogle posted:

EDIT: I did not vote for myself :v:

I did, wasn't going to vote for myself. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 28, 2016

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

D'Va continues to be my poo poo. Also, finally got enough coins to snag the B'Va skin. :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcn7p03_uE

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

resistentialism posted:

That would probably be a much, much harder kind of hack to pull off. Most of the stuff people will do involves automated input (aimbot) or revealing information that's only sort-of hidden from the client (wallhack). The common thread is that the stuff the hacker is messing with is being processed on their own computer to some extent. To fuzz with other players' hit registration means messing with the game server.

I know Source/GoldSRC and even WoW are susceptible to packet fuckery. People would intentionally lag themselves to become harder to hit while capping the flag or reloading. I haven't seen that in Overwatch but it's possible someone had worked it out to avoid taking damage on certain occasions.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

I know Source/GoldSRC and even WoW are susceptible to packet fuckery. People would intentionally lag themselves to become harder to hit while capping the flag or reloading. I haven't seen that in Overwatch but it's possible someone had worked it out to avoid taking damage on certain occasions.

I remember in WoW when the PvP thing was pretty new, I was the "go-to guy" in my guild in that 10 vs. 10 CTF map and my task was to just sneak for the flag with my druid and bring it home, over and over. The leader and several others were going for the Grand Marshal stuff, so I guess I was good at it. I was kind of new to online gaming so I didn't really realize that my ping was ridiculously bad in PvP and large raids. I just kept on playing and kept on winning, until at some point I realized that my firewall program caused the huge lag, so I changed the settings there. At that point the PvE raids became playable for me so I transitioned there, but I wonder if I had inadvertently made myself very hard to hit in PvP.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

-

Entreri fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 28, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Macaluso posted:

Sure I can understand that. But THAT amount of hours worth is just someone who really likes playing Mercy for some godawful reason. At some point you'd think someone would at least branch out to someone who requires no aiming like Junkrat or try out a different healer like Lucio

I too know a girl who exclusively plays Mercy, and a few years before Overwatch was a thing, she exclusively played Medic in TF2 as well. Some people just enjoy that gameplay.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tzen posted:

D'Va continues to be my poo poo. Also, finally got enough coins to snag the B'Va skin. :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcn7p03_uE
Yeah - D'va is tons of fun. It's too bad that the spray didn't make it into that potg.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well this happened tonight.

Anubis can snowball real fast, especially with a Lucio and a Rein shattering defenses, this is my fastest win but to be fair they had leavers during point A capture, then a bastion tried to abush us behind the portal after A in a weird place and was promptly ignored so there was basically no one to defend B

Hanamura too

Zanael fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 28, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mercy is pretty fun for me, but once I learned to kill with Lucio, well, it just seems better for the team that the healer also is contributing to opponent death.

--

Made the hop over to PC since like 6 friends are playing there now. I have a tiny bit of CS go experience but this is all mostly new this whole mouse and keyboard thing. Like an instant accuracy bump of 10% right out the gate is pretty cool. It's actually the keyboard part that doesn't feel great but hopefully that comes with practice. I'm a left-handed mouse user so my hand is somewhere that it normally isn't on the keyboard, which isn't all that weird for movement but it makes E powers pretty weird, and when I go to melee half the time I bring up the chat wheel. I guess I could map one of them to the mouse side buttons.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 28, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I thought the kill percentages over 100 were from characters who are able to kill themselves.

Like tracer, pharah, zarya and junkrat?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've seen it happen with reaper before iirc

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I got a 14 kill streak and the "Car Wash" trophy with Sym on annubis last night.

Sym is fine guys :smuggo:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anubis is pretty much home court for Symmetra

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Anubis is pretty much home court for Symmetra

Yeah that and Hanamura are pretty much a first pick for Sym on defence for me.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Voting for yourself is like putting gold stars on your own homework. Seriously don't do it you loser.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like Mercy because it's fun zipping around managing everyones life bars. Someone said you're basically just pointing/clicking at people but there's some judgement involved I think, idk

I liked the Medic in TF2 as well but Mercy's mobility makes her a lot more fun. Also she's more fun than Lucio who I only play on KotH and I'm too afraid to pick Zenyatta or Ana

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rick posted:

Mercy is pretty fun for me, but once I learned to kill with Lucio, well, it just seems better for the team that the healer also is contributing to opponent death.

--

Made the hop over to PC since like 6 friends are playing there now. I have a tiny bit of CS go experience but this is all mostly new this whole mouse and keyboard thing. Like an instant accuracy bump of 10% right out the gate is pretty cool. It's actually the keyboard part that doesn't feel great but hopefully that comes with practice. I'm a left-handed mouse user so my hand is somewhere that it normally isn't on the keyboard, which isn't all that weird for movement but it makes E powers pretty weird, and when I go to melee half the time I bring up the chat wheel. I guess I could map one of them to the mouse side buttons.

never not bind quick melee to mouse buttons. its the only thing i've ever used mouse buttons for (besides voice chat)

ana is great though, she's incredibly strong if you can vaguely aim. i straight up just pick her even if we have 2 healers because she shits out damage if you position yourself right and her ult will win games if you aren't a dummy and know when to pop it and on who

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My stat screen scares me because I considered myself a "Lucio main" if that's even a thing, but lately trying to get some of the achievements/trophies/whatever done so whenever I pop it up I see
Lucio (11 hours)
Genji (8 hours)

Which is way more time as Genji then I thought I'd ever really play. It's also pathetic I guess that I don't have either of his yet despite that hefty playtime :negative:

dude i have like 40 hours as genji and it took most of that to get the flow of things (and the game). he is an unkillable game carrying machine its loving insane. im sad they're nerfing his double jump and his ult duration but he really needs it even if he does have a high skill cap

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 28, 2016

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Macaluso posted:

Also holy loving poo poo Hanzo, they switched to 3 tanks PLEASE SWITCH TO SOMETHING THAT HITS A BIT HARDER PLEASE

Hanzo is loving amazing vs tanks due to their either slow movement or large hitboxes. The only tank he is not great against is Zarya, and that's only if the Hanzo gives her 50 free energy with a predictable shield shot.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
hanzo is an interesting guy cause i never really played him because i assumed he was poo poo, as everyone that ever plays him just sits in the same location and takes potshots and then uses the dumb ult. but then i played him and figured out he can climb walls and also use scatter shot to do more than instagib tracer

like if you stand in one location and just piss out arrows you really aren't using hanzo to his full effect

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

nigga crab pollock posted:

hanzo is an interesting guy cause i never really played him because i assumed he was poo poo, as everyone that ever plays him just sits in the same location and takes potshots and then uses the dumb ult. but then i played him and figured out he can climb walls and also use scatter shot to do more than instagib tracer

like if you stand in one location and just piss out arrows you really aren't using hanzo to his full effect

Sometimes I just outright run through a solo Reinhardt's shield and start plicking him and waiting for him to try to smack me so I can scatter arrow his massive torso.

It works more than you'd think.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Ronnie posted:

Voting for yourself is like putting gold stars on your own homework. Seriously don't do it you loser.

I vote for myself if only one other person voted for me so it doesn't look like I was the only person who voted for myself.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cosmicjim posted:

I vote for myself if only one other person voted for me so it doesn't look like I was the only person who voted for myself.

I also do this

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always vote for the healer. If you were the healer, then good job, vote for yourself!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Good job existing vaguely near teammates, Lucio. An excellent performance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Meanwhile he was Lucio while you slam picked Gengi.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I always vote for myself because I am John Galt

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Never not vote for yourself

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I vote for myself when I feel like I actually did really well this time and now give me some motherfucking praise (I always wait for someone else to vote me though). Or when I feel like I was the sensible adult who picked that Lucio when everyone else would have been perfectly content just losing another round with 6 people playing DPS.

I don't vote for myself if it's just another game with some mediocre "healing done" card or "x turret kills" card, or 20 000 damage blocked Reinhardt loss.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Voting for urself just seems really sad, so I've always refrained from doing it, also I thought that if you voted for someone else you where more likely to get matchmaked together with them again, like a sort of hidden favorites list?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

When my team just shits the bed I usually end up begrudgingly voting for the person on the other team who pissed me off the most.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gimnbo posted:

When my team just shits the bed I usually end up begrudgingly voting for the person on the other team who pissed me off the most.

Unless it's Hanjo or Gonzo, they don't deserve it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So how do you actually play Lucio? I mean it seems pretty simple, just run around in the middle of your team... but that seems too simple. Is that really all it takes to play him effectively? Is there anything in particular for a good Lucio to keep in mind?

He's one of my least played heroes just because I feel like "this can't really be it" when I'm playing him, and I assume I'm loving up somehow. But if that is it, I'd actually enjoy playing him now and then as a break from more intense characters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Be on speed boost by default and constantly looking around to see if people need healing and you should switch back.

Get on voice chat with your team and coordinate offensive pushes with Amp It Up + speed boost (+ ult if needed).

In addition to pushing people off cliffs, if you're fast enough on the draw you can save your team by dooting certain ults away in time (Reaper's is the obvious one.)

Learn how to use wallriding to get to places you couldn't otherwise reach or would take much longer to reach. Quickly alternating between two opposing walls is a good way to do this but doesn't cover all situations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Eiba posted:

So how do you actually play Lucio? I mean it seems pretty simple, just run around in the middle of your team... but that seems too simple. Is that really all it takes to play him effectively? Is there anything in particular for a good Lucio to keep in mind?

He's one of my least played heroes just because I feel like "this can't really be it" when I'm playing him, and I assume I'm loving up somehow. But if that is it, I'd actually enjoy playing him now and then as a break from more intense characters.

He's got a pretty expansive toolset actually, wallriding is a good skill to master because you can contest points extremely well. Learning your maps allows you to boop people into spots that would take them some time to get back to combat or send them off edges. switching between healing and speed are extremely important, high-levels of play treat it like a Starcraft KPM count where you're constantly monitoring every one's health and you're only switching it when enough people are visible and hurt while you're wall riding and shooting at people's heads or booping them off edges.

It's a lot more complex than Mcree or Pharah where you shoot at people in the open and maybe go for the healer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eiba posted:

dhak's videos do a good job talking about lucio's role in comp and some tricks you might not know about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwr_uvALxMI

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lucio heals all the time but his passive AOE heal is very weak. To be a good lucio you need to know when to boost his aoe heal to save people. You also need good situational awareness in order to be able to always be in the thick of it with your team while also avoiding getting picked off by the enemy. His gun is weak but can help finish off opponents and his secondary fire is AoE, pushes people back and deals slight damage as well and can be used both defensively and offensively.

Wallriding is cool and all but with the exception of a places on a few maps I've found it mostly gimmicky and useless

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Internet Explorer posted:

Meanwhile he was Lucio while you slam picked Gengi.

Yeah, all voting does is give you easier access to the "prefer player" button, and I'm ok if the matchmaker pairs me with people willing to play support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I thought 5 votes gave you bonus XP.

Anyway I vote for healers unless the healer is Zanyatta then he gets no vote because scew orb of discord.
If there are no healers to vote for then Torbjörn/Hanjo gets the vote