Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Antti posted:

AP is making a strong case for the False Balance award of the cycle. First the Clinton Foundation thing, now this hilarious tweet:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/769635705047937024

If you wanted to just make an example map of the interactivity, do something silly like make all states bigger than 20 EV red and smaller than 20 blue.

The actual base map on the AP site has Clinton at 269, 78 tossup, Trump 191.

Don't forget "Wade and Trump make statements on shooting" from yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:laffo: at that AP tweet. MI, WI, and loving MN as tossup states?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Lmao at painting Florida red. Suddenly we don't swing?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Antti posted:

AP is making a strong case for the False Balance award of the cycle. First the Clinton Foundation thing, now this hilarious tweet:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/769635705047937024

If you wanted to just make an example map of the interactivity, do something silly like make all states bigger than 20 EV red and smaller than 20 blue.

There was an AP journalist on Diane Rhem on Friday and she was just so mad that Clinton had the temerity to not hand over literally every detail of her entire life to the press. She blamed the whole AP Clinton Foundation story on Hillary by saying that if the AP hadn't had to sue to get the calendars then it somehow wouldn't have happened.

I think they see the clickbait train the right wing has set up for any negative story involving Hillary and believe they could do the same thing but need some source documents to start from and misinterpret because they are unwilling to completely fabricate facts.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

:laffo: at that AP tweet. MI, WI, and loving MN as tossup states?

Also WV. And AK appears to be missing entirely.

EDIT: No, wait, there it is. Figures Alaska's relative geographical location is one of the few hings that the map would even attempt to accurately reflect.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but who are the potential democrat candidates going on from 2020?

As an additional question there seem to be a lot of "Very Serious People"getting worried about economic stuff, that is none election related, in the US. Is there a possibility that, if there is another crash, the blame will fall square on the Democrats?

Given that Obama has been in office for basically the entirety of this piss-poor "recovery", it'll be hard for the Dems to avoid blame when it finally all comes crashing down again, regardless of who wins in November.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Lmao at painting Florida red. Suddenly we don't swing?

says who?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Yinlock posted:

Good analogy, but you forgot "spending what little money he has on his increasingly ornate and pointless gun cabinet"
Also "periodically murdering one of his children (law enforcement)."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vorebane posted:

From a few pages ago, but I missed this, if Hillary talked about solutions for inner cities, I'd like to read it, where was the speech at?

She didn't talk much about that directly beyond her plank of affordable college and loan forgiveness, but she pointed out that while things aren't what they should be for African-Americans, they're also nowhere near as bad as Trump's fear-mongering would have you believe. Here's her full speech, Hillary gets on stage around 7:40.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Main Paineframe posted:

Given that Obama has been in office for basically the entirety of this piss-poor "recovery", it'll be hard for the Dems to avoid blame when it finally all comes crashing down again, regardless of who wins in November.

People didn't remember the Bush Administration in 2010. Obama's not going to receive flak for it outside of the "Obama was responsible for Katrina" crowd.

Also, wouldn't a tepid recovery imply a similarly tepid contraction later? The "massive recovery" of the early 2000s just set us up better for failure. Besides, the only domestic industries that are particularly bubbly are the Fart Apps of Silicon Valley.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Main Paineframe posted:

True. I mean a lot of the reason for the piss poor recovery has been obstructionism in the house and senate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

Also, wouldn't a tepid recovery imply a similarly tepid contraction later? The "massive recovery" of the early 2000s just set us up better for failure. Besides, the only domestic industries that are particularly bubbly are the Fart Apps of Silicon Valley.

It depends. The major unknown is that the Federal Reserve has essentially exhausted its primary way to exert control over the economy because the GOP has completely refused to allow the government to take over with longer term solutions. If things backslide now it is not entirely clear what can be done to keep the fall from gaining speed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

In retrospect tricking the public into thinking that household debt is the same thing as sovereign debt was loving brilliant on their part.

I don't really think the public had to be tricked into that. National debt was simply barely a thing people were aware about for well over a century. Then when politicians started to use it as a boogeyman it's not like anyone had ever taught the public at large how debt works differently for a household vs a large corporation vs a country.

I guess what I'm saying is that "tricked into thinking household debt was the same as sovereign debt" implied they would have known better without the tricking.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

It depends. The major unknown is that the Federal Reserve has essentially exhausted its primary way to exert control over the economy because the GOP has completely refused to allow the government to take over with longer term solutions. If things backslide now it is not entirely clear what can be done to keep the fall from gaining speed.

Based on the debt ceiling fights there's enough Republicans to pass TARP 2 or whatever if things actually get bad. You are right that there's very little being done to prevent a crisis from happening beforehand though.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Antti posted:

Which is itself kinda stacked, because Clinton's up by more than 5 in NV and NH.

Speaking of which, Clinton's no longer leading by 9 points in states worth 270! ARZY!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

One of the biggest scams ever was convincing the majority of the country that conservative economics is the Grown Up Serious position. It alludes to the household example that maturely doesn't waste its money of luxuries in order to make sure important things are paid for. However conservative economics pretty much do exactly the opposite with important things like paying for infrastructure, honoring pensions, welfare, social security, medicare, etc being cut in order to make sure that rich companies and people are able to hoard money in order to spend it on ridiculous displays of wealth or just sit on it like a dragon. It also is mistaken that the only way that the economy can be good is if the rich are allowed to run free despite constant real life evidence to the contrary.

Funny how the family metaphor always stops at the point of including and/or caring for each other and cooperating for a goal other than "ge 'em" comes in, isn't it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

Based on the debt ceiling fights there's enough Republicans to pass TARP 2 or whatever if things actually get bad. You are right that there's very little being done to prevent a crisis from happening beforehand though.

Can you imagine the level of anger that would be in place if Republicans tried to stop a recovery program? Maybe not in their heartlands, but almost everywhere else?

That and, hopefully, the GOP will become even more fragmented now that Trump is going to crash and burn.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josef bugman posted:

Can you imagine the level of anger that would be in place if Republicans tried to stop a recovery program? Maybe not in their heartlands, but almost everywhere else?

That's exactly how it will be spun because that's how it was spun in 2008.

It's like how during the GOP convention everyone thought the country was on a serious backslide, except for their home areas, which were actually doing very fine (this was for all delegates).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geostomp posted:

Funny how the family metaphor always stops at the point of including and/or caring for each other and cooperating for a goal other than "ge 'em" comes in, isn't it?

It also is completely at odds with something like 90% of Americans thinking that taking out a mortgage (often more than 3x annual income) to buy a home is a great financial decision.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's like how during the GOP convention everyone thought the country was on a serious backslide, except for their home areas, which were actually doing very fine (this was for all delegates).

Did the delegates think they were doing fine or the people from those areas?

Because I can still see this biting them. Trump is bad enough but with the potential loss of first the Senate and then bits and pieces of the house? The Gods only know how badly it is going to go for Republicans in the future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josef bugman posted:

Did the delegates think they were doing fine or the people from those areas?

The former are in the latter.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

computer parts posted:

The finest example of this is any Mike Pence stump speech. He will slam the "Obama economy" one minute, then talk about how awesome the Indiana economy did under his administration the next.

The thing is, during the Pence administration, Indiana has tracked the national economy almost perfectly by nearly every metric. Somehow virtually identical numbers are the sign of a sluggish, failing economy when they can be attributed to Obama, (from the POV of people who believe the president has an ECONOMY: GOOD <--> BAD lever on his desk, anyway) but are a sign of legendary leadership and unprecedented prosperity when they can be attributed to Pence.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 28, 2016

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Edit: :argh: awful app

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can we at least see a good amount of environmental/infrastructure/renewable energy legislature getting passed under a split congress?

Would education reform/student debt be much harder to pass through?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Not sure if it was on purpose or not, but I just saw CNN coverage of a trump speech with the caption "I (R) Presidential Candidate"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Can we at least see a good amount of environmental/infrastructure/renewable energy legislature getting passed under a split congress?

I thought I saw someone here talking about infrastructure. That may well be the best hope.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

There will be no repeat of the 90s

That is not what is being referenced.

Senator Hillary Clinton barely won her senate seat in New York the first time. She only got in due to a libertarian spoiler. When she was up for re-election she crushed republican john spencer 67% to 31%.

Once people saw her in action they loved her. It'll be the same thing in 2020. People whose only real knowledge of her comes from attacks on her character will get a chance to observe her directly. They will see dire predictions/fears not come true. They will see hopes exceeded. If anything their skepticism/cynicism in 2016 will assist this process because of the pleasant surprise of having her surpass their unreasonably low bar.

Imagine how happy the "nothing good can happen, the GOP holds the house, we are all hosed" doom-and-gloom crowd will be when she turns the sane GOP house members against the freedom caucus and leverages their infighting to get good stuff passed. It'll be awesome.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

McAlister posted:

Senator Hillary Clinton barely won her senate seat in New York the first time. She only got in due to a libertarian spoiler.

Wait what

Clinton massacred Lazio by 12 points, 55-43

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Environmental and renewable energy would be basically impossible to get passed, since so many Republicans think Climate Change is not just fake, but a hoax.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hmmmmm a 12 point victory

the two candidates totaled 98% of the vote

must have been because of a spoiler candidate

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

Legislation, no. What you can get is EPA regulations that are affirmed by a friendly judiciary.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

exploding mummy posted:

Wait what

Like obviously the dude is wrong about the libertarian spoiler (who got 0.07% of the vote), but Gore won New York by 25, so it's pretty clear that Clinton under-performed Al Gore.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Legislation, no. What you can get is EPA regulations that are affirmed by a friendly judiciary.

Yeah Hillary's going to push the bounds of executive action and hopefully a stacked court system affirms it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploding mummy posted:

Wait what

Yeah, and the libertarian he mentions got under 5000 votes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

Besides, the only domestic industries that are particularly bubbly are the Fart Apps of Silicon Valley.
Auto loans.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Yeah, and the libertarian he mentions got under 5000 votes:

Ahahaha Rick Lazio.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Auto loans isn't an insane amount of money and losing your car isn't quite as bad as your home, compared to say the housing crisis and the ridiculous situation in SF.

But yeah, Oliver did a great segment on it and those lenders need to get regulated out of existence. Them and the payday crowd keep making the argument that no self-respecting bank would lend to poor people, but I don't see how saddling them with crippling debt by overcharging at every step is worth it for society in general.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jackson Taus posted:

Like obviously the dude is wrong about the libertarian spoiler (who got 0.07% of the vote), but Gore won New York by 25, so it's pretty clear that Clinton under-performed Al Gore.

Eh, I'd hardly say that's unusual. Chuck Schumer's first Senate election in 1998 was won 55-44, while in 1996, Bill beat Dole 59-31.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

exploding mummy posted:

Wait what

Believe literally nothing McAlister says about Hillary. This is not the first time someone has caught him lying about Hillary's past.

Making predictions about 2020 today is impossible. Don't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Sir Tonk posted:

Auto loans isn't an insane amount of money and losing your car isn't quite as bad as your home, compared to say the housing crisis and the ridiculous situation in SF.

But yeah, Oliver did a great segment on it and those lenders need to get regulated out of existence. Them and the payday crowd keep making the argument that no self-respecting bank would lend to poor people, but I don't see how saddling them with crippling debt by overcharging at every step is worth it for society in general.

One leads to the other though, most of America you need a car to get to work in under like 3 hours.

• Locked thread