Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mover posted:

Let's not forget about the Dr Fate of 1994!

Actually I'd watch Nic Cage as xtreme 90s demon hunter Fate

I want him as the original Rac Shade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

edit: also hello what the gently caress this movie looks dope as hell. It's a Russian superhero project called Guardians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQVdrillxA

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-movie-trailer-2017-russian-923229

No, none of you saw how loving cool this was, click on this video you assholes it had RUSSIAN BEARHULK

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

a blue beetle (ted Kord) and Booster Gold bill and ted adventure would be amazing. they would run into various heroes and villains across time and multiverse.

I've only been saying this for 25 years.

And I would love to see Adam Scott as Ted and Joel McHale as Booster, even if they're both older than what WB/DC would want.

A Blue and Gold movie really is rumored (there's a screenwriter working on it), and in an interview, Nathan Fillion said he and Alan Tudyk would probably love to be in it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Joel McHale would be the most perfect Booster Gold ever, and I don't even particularly care about Booster Gold...yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They should make a JLI movie and have Bruce Campbell play

everyone

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely believe Booster Gold is a fantastic fit for film. He has a simple enough origin story that allows for comedy and action, can be slotted into an 'extended universe' without dominating it, is a relatively easy cast since there are tons of directions you can go with him and has superpowers that are incredibly screen-friendly.

Plus you've got that child-friendly Disney-esque sidekick, Skeets! Who turns out to be the villain!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Joel McHale for Booster Gold and go full on fun stunt casting and get Danny Pudi for Skeets.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Joel McHale being a little past being considered young and being a little balding actually would work really well for the character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Definitely. He's a handsome and charming guy, but past his prime, and like Booster, McHale also played college football. And he played a very similar character on Community -- a smug, smooth-talking huckster who doesn't value friendships or doing the right thing, until he learns to be a good friend and a good person.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through the original Dr. Strange comics and I geeked out a little during Strange Tales #127. When Ditko first drew Strange it was with a blue and black colour scheme and his cape was blue:

I figured at some point Ditko just up and decided to make the cape red and did so without making a fuss but Strange actually earned it! And not in a flashback or during his origin story (like the movie) but after his first encounter with Dormammu:

So basically he beats a boss character, receives some great loot, and (revealed in the next issue) levels up with new powers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It does look like a World of Warcraft outfit now that I think about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

You don't know how Kryptonian muscles work!
If sunlight gives Kryptonian power, then the equivalent would be me downing 400g of protein shake every day.

Never work out again!!!

I'd like to think Superman Lives is fast-tracked for summer 98. In 1997 Batman and Robin bombs, and Steel lands like a wet fart, but MiB is a hit. They go ahead and commit to Burton Weirdness for Supes since the audience is into it now, Batman is reworked by jettisoning the Schumacher camp but keeping the off-kilter humor from '89. They use the JLi to reinvigorate the Bat brand, so he's kind of the mentor figure to these b-listers that have been pulled together for some reason, and it's titled JLA 2000 because of course it'll be a Y2K release. The popularity of Superman Lives dictates whether they pull a teaser of him being involved with the JL franchise or not.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

If sunlight gives Kryptonian power, then the equivalent would be me downing 400g of protein shake every day.

Never work out again!!!

I'd like to think Superman Lives is fast-tracked for summer 98. In 1997 Batman and Robin bombs, and Steel lands like a wet fart, but MiB is a hit. They go ahead and commit to Burton Weirdness for Supes since the audience is into it now, Batman is reworked by jettisoning the Schumacher camp but keeping the off-kilter humor from '89. They use the JLi to reinvigorate the Bat brand, so he's kind of the mentor figure to these b-listers that have been pulled together for some reason, and it's titled JLA 2000 because of course it'll be a Y2K release. The popularity of Superman Lives dictates whether they pull a teaser of him being involved with the JL franchise or not.

The villain is Brainiac and he's behind the devastating Y2K bug

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The villain is Brainiac and he's behind the devastating Y2K bug

Well it worked in the comics.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Giancarlo Esposito from Breaking Bad has pretty much confirmed the complete division of the Netflix/ABC side of Marvel and the Movie verse. Looks like he was asked to do a role, probably in one of the Netflix shows and turned it down because the character wouldn't be able to move to film. So don't expect the Defenders in Infinity War

Giancarlo Esposito posted:

"I know the Marvel world exists on the Disney lot. I love those guys at Marvel," he says. "We’ve been trying to figure out how to collaborate on something. I’m hoping that it is something. They came to me with something for their television department, then I realized if I did that, I’d never be able to have that same character be in that film department. Once you’re in a Marvel character in the television version, you have to stay in the particular character. They can’t carry that over to film."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's so incredibly petty.

Oh hey that thing everyone wants? Yea, lets not do that because gently caress that guy over there.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder if that includes still images or playback of video recorded for TV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

That's so incredibly petty.

How much of it is Perlmutter taking his toys and going home and how much of it is Feige just not being interested in the telly bits?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't understand the loving point of making the shows part of the MCU then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is a really vague offhanded statement to be taken as rock-solid confirmation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

There's a weird fixation (some) fans seem to have on this whole idea of interconnectedness being a kind of sacred thing.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, from an outside perspective all the TV properties are dumb as hell. Coulson never died, here's some mutants with the serial numbers filed off (which is how they're choosing to treat Inhumans, not how they are in comics), and a blind guy whose power is he's not blind (again, how they've chosen to write him). So from a mass-market perspective it isn't much of a loss.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/769927705651392513

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

It made people watch and generously review them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dacap posted:

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

I laughed a bunch of times so thank you for the link :)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

That is a really vague offhanded statement to be taken as rock-solid confirmation.

My thoughts exactly. Unless Marvel officially proclaims that the TV and movie universes shall forever remain separate, I'm going to assume it's not set in stone. I figure they won't bother crossing the two over unless they have compelling motivation to do so, but I doubt they'd be so shortsighted as to permanently close the door on that possibility. Especially since one of the earliest scenes in their first Netflix series directly references The Avengers.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a weird fixation (some) fans seem to have on this whole idea of interconnectedness being a kind of sacred thing.

Well this is awkward, I'm one of those fans.

Dacap posted:

Absolutely amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steve Rogers is a war criminal. Canon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Well this is awkward, I'm one of those fans.

Sorry. :shobon:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah there's nothing factual in that at all. That sounds like he made the assumption himself that the character he was being asked to try for would only be in a TV show. Or maybe that the character died in the TV show and thus that would be his only option.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Seems pretty obvious to me that Marvel TV is "in continuity" with the movies just for marketing. It's to get movie fans to watch the shows.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah when they seem to go out of their way to avoid directly referencing movie stuff it comes off as them doing it solely for the viewers draw.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The shows reference the movies plenty. The problem is their the inferior in the relationship(the "uke" as one might say) and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any acknowledgement of them existing in the movies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think a clip of some terrorists collapsing a building in an episode was on a screen in civil war, that's as far as it goes though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Netflix stuff is better for not being so tied to the movie stuff IMO. I haven't watched any of the broadcast TV shows. I like the tight little family feel of the Netflix shows with lower stakes than "holy poo poo world ending threat!"

Civil War was also better for not having a holy poo poo world ending threat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I gave up on Agents of SHIELD two or three episodes into Season 3. It wasn't even bad, but it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

I loved Agent Carter, though -- and that was another show with lower stakes, great characters, wonderful sets and costumes, and more of a tie-in to the movies, with Peggy being so important to Cap, Howard Stark's presence, and the Howling Commandos showing up. Season 2 had one of the best MCU villains, as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From CineD.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

From CineD.

This is the first thing to ever make me want to see the Strange movie, because he's utterly right. No matter where else Zack Snyder has fallen, the Watchmen movie is the perfect adaption and one of the best movies I've ever seen. It gets across so much complex poo poo so artistically that even having only seen it and not the book, I still warmed myself just recently while in the hospital by going over the detailed ideas and messages it gets across while also being impeccably stylish and entertaining.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dacap posted:

Next stop: Squirrel Girl movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

This is the first thing to ever make me want to see the Strange movie, because he's utterly right. No matter where else Zack Snyder has fallen, the Watchmen movie is the perfect adaption and one of the best movies I've ever seen. It gets across so much complex poo poo so artistically that even having only seen it and not the book, I still warmed myself just recently while in the hospital by going over the detailed ideas and messages it gets across while also being impeccably stylish and entertaining.

Wouldn't you actually have to have read the source material to know if it's a perfect adaptation or not?

• Locked thread