Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

A friend of mine has written a series of children's books. He just got scammed by a New York-based 'publisher'

I suggested self-publishing on Amazon, but do people even borrow/buy kids books on there?

Also he's in his 50s, is not tech savvy, and doesn't have an account. He's willing to pay for advice so if any of you could distill the thread advice into an easy-to-follow flow chart I'm sure he'd sort you out with some money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

change my name posted:

I'm going to stop making GBS threads this thread up and actually finish editing, but I think this is what I'm going to go with (maybe with some minor tweaks):

Maybe I'm not that bright but I didn't see the pentagram until somebody else pointed it out. So to me it was just, like... a picture of a city with some birds.

Make the pentagram much more obvious and it would be a cool cover IMO.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The perspective's making me think those birds are the size of buses. What if they were streaming out of the corner and into a ring around the tower?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

simplefish posted:

A friend of mine has written a series of children's books. He just got scammed by a New York-based 'publisher'

I suggested self-publishing on Amazon, but do people even borrow/buy kids books on there?

Also he's in his 50s, is not tech savvy, and doesn't have an account. He's willing to pay for advice so if any of you could distill the thread advice into an easy-to-follow flow chart I'm sure he'd sort you out with some money

Childrens books as in picture books, or picture books with text, or just text?

Amazon has a specialty program for doing picture books / comics but I have zero experience with it. Anytime I try to add photos everything looks like poo poo. I'd have him browse Amazon for similar books and see where his niche is at for average sales rank. The one category I drilled down is filled with trad-pub books and the recently published self-pub is all in the 600k plus range.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
600k...do you have to write similar lengths to compete with them? How often are you able to publish, and does the way higher KENPC actually result in higher income? I'd worry that at lengths like that, only a small percentage of people who borrow would get more than 50k words in.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

angel opportunity posted:

600k...do you have to write similar lengths to compete with them? How often are you able to publish, and does the way higher KENPC actually result in higher income? I'd worry that at lengths like that, only a small percentage of people who borrow would get more than 50k words in.

I think they were talking about ranking rather than length. I can't imagine there's much demand for 600,000 word children's books. :D

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bardeh posted:

I think they were talking about ranking rather than length. I can't imagine there's much demand for 600,000 word children's books. :D

Alan Moore presents: Jerusalem Jr.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Oh...I'm dumb. I thought Yooper was talking about military fiction stuff, and I could sort of see that reaching insane lengths

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ahh nope, was responding to the childrens book query.

I'm sure there is a 600k word mil scifi book out there. But, even in that niche, no one would buy it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So my thing is now live :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KU8N0JE

My Nook vendor account is still verifying, but after that it'll go up there too. Is the general strategy to just keep it at .99 cents promotionally for the first week or two, then bump it up to $2.99?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

change my name posted:

My Nook vendor account is still verifying, but after that it'll go up there too. Is the general strategy to just keep it at .99 cents promotionally for the first week or two, then bump it up to $2.99?

Depends on how well it takes off. With me, I got off on the absolute wrong foot and was completely unprepared. I'm going the "free for a week -> $0.99 -> $2.99 if I end up with a miracle" route, but I've had to bust rear end all over the internet to get the free copies into people's hands. Like I said, though, I started off behind and am still playing catchup.

Find a Moana post and click "filter by", there should be a ton of good marketing/release advice.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

The book is enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. I'm not sure if you meant to check the box, but it means that you can't publish it on Nook. If you accidentally enrolled it, you have a few days after publishing to change your mind, I think. I'd recommend enrolling for the first term, though, for the increased exposure it offers.

Also, you don't have a mailing list signup link. Go to https://www.mailchimp.com and create an account, make a signup form, and add the link at the beginning and end of the book.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 24, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Finally cracked getting 100 books into people's hands, plus 6 reads on Kindle Unlimited in the last two days. I'm taking a bath hardcore on getting it out there but I don't care, first novel wasn't going to set the world on fire and I'm just happy people are reading. Maybe there'll be a second wave once it goes back to $0.99? :iiam:

Also I got my first mailing list subscriber today :3:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bardeh posted:

The book is enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. I'm not sure if you meant to check the box, but it means that you can't publish it on Nook. If you accidentally enrolled it, you have a few days after publishing to change your mind, I think. I'd recommend enrolling for the first term, though, for the increased exposure it offers.

Also, you don't have a mailing list signup link. Go to https://www.mailchimp.com and create an account, make a signup form, and add the link at the beginning and end of the book.

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

Also, for those who are interested, my thing will be free on promotion from tomorrow until Monday. :)

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 25, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I got my first mailing list subscriber today :3:

Yessss. :hellyeah: More will follow.

I should be done reading your book tonight. Good evening-time reading.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

Yessss. :hellyeah: More will follow.

I should be done reading your book tonight. Good evening-time reading.

I've been told it goes quick (and I need to slow down next time out), but it also makes for good 1-2 day binge reading. YMMV.

I kind of get in, say everything I need to say, and get out. I don't have time for stupid interpersonal drama or love triangles, Astin's got a city to save :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Welp, it's the time in the afternoon when I check how things are going with the giveaway/sales. Hopefully I got another 30-40 of

MOTHER OF CHRIST

e: holy poo poo 300 today and I'm in the top 10 of free dark fantasy what the gently caress is going on lmbo

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 25, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

Welp, it's the time in the afternoon when I check how things are going with the giveaway/sales. Hopefully I got another 30-40 of

MOTHER OF CHRIST

e: holy poo poo 300 today and I'm in the top 10 of free dark fantasy what the gently caress is going on lmbo

:black101: the freebie crowd is thirsty!

I got to 2 in dark fantasy during my freebie, you'll get up there too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
A) does this translate to sales after Friday
B) Who loving cares about sales I have a legit shot at 1k copies in my debut

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

It can sometimes translate to sales. On the last day of your free run, I would recommend manually ending the free period at like 5-6pm EST or some kind of time of day where people are more likely to buy books. There is a lag when you kill free where it costs $0.99 but still displays on the free charts. If you just let it end automatically this period will happen at like 3am EST when no one is awake.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

A) For sales out of dark fantasy? nnnnnno. :negative: Manage your expectations. Be busy writing another book.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

A) For sales out of dark fantasy? nnnnnno. :negative: Manage your expectations. Be busy writing another book.

Ehn, I'm fine as long as I know what I'm getting into. It's just kind of hilarious watching my graph go WHEEEEEEEEEEEE for the last two days and not having any clue why.

This has been a big lift though and Altered is well under way :getin:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

You are always going to see ups and downs for no reason. This summer slump has been bizarre. I only put out two new releases since June out and they both bombed. (In all fairness they were both terrible) I figure it is time to pump out a sequel to my best seller with a free day on September 1st as a "Back to School" promo for the moms who now have free time again.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My thing's had a few KU page reads, hopefully visibility will go up now that it's free until Monday on promo (or whenever their promo starts, apparently it's not right at midnight).

Update: it's moving!

:toot:

change my name fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 26, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm :f5:ing the poo poo out of one of my books, as all its reviews mysteriously disappeared this evening. "All" is like a dozen and a half, but they're precioussssssss to me. I have paid promo scheduled for this weekend, goddammit, zon.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Hey I lurk your thread hoping to someday write a book but who cares because Chuck Tingle is real?? http://lithub.com/how-a-self-published-writer-of-gay-erotica-beat-sci-fis-sad-puppiesat-their-own-game/

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've reached a new milestone: my latest romance is being pirated.

:confuoot:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've been F5ing my reports page all day (hovering in the mid-80s for "free coming-of-age-fantasy"), and I noticed the Kindle Scouts thing. Has anyone tried it? An advance sounds pretty nice.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

I've reached a new milestone: my latest romance is being pirated.

:confuoot:

in fantasy that's the step right before horrible slash fiction, which is how you know you've made it big

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

in fantasy that's the step right before horrible slash fiction, which is how you know you've made it big

My romance basically is horrible slash fiction fantasy, is my big break upon me?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

My romance basically is horrible slash fiction fantasy, is my big break upon me?

checks out

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

I've been F5ing my reports page all day (hovering in the mid-80s for "free coming-of-age-fantasy"), and I noticed the Kindle Scouts thing. Has anyone tried it? An advance sounds pretty nice.

If you have the fan base to actually get one of your books picked, you'd be better off just self-pubbing it.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Every once in a while a promo site will run one of my books without me asking. Woke up to 400 downloads of my permafree. :dance:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Every once in a while a promo site will run one of my books without me asking. Woke up to 400 downloads of my permafree. :dance:

:feelsgood:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I've never self-published before, and I think it may be the way to go for the fantasy book I'm writing now, but I have a situation. It's actually a fairly long book, probably clocking in at 120,000 words in edited form, which (a) is divided into three approximately equal parts and (b) ties up its own story but doesn't actually resolve the overarching plot, i.e. is the first book of a potentially long-running series.

Do you guys think it might get the hype train rolling faster to publish each "part" as a separate e-book, maybe one every few weeks (and how far apart should I do it)? Each part is fairly different in tone (setup -> rising action -> resolution) and while I think each part is interesting, they're all interesting for different reasons. I worry that some readers may read part one, think "ehh, not for me" and stop reading before it gets to the bits maybe they would like.

Semi-related question: Has anyone ever tried selling an omnibus edition of their earlier stuff, and how'd that work for you?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mirage posted:

I've never self-published before, and I think it may be the way to go for the fantasy book I'm writing now, but I have a situation. It's actually a fairly long book, probably clocking in at 120,000 words in edited form, which (a) is divided into three approximately equal parts and (b) ties up its own story but doesn't actually resolve the overarching plot, i.e. is the first book of a potentially long-running series.

Do you guys think it might get the hype train rolling faster to publish each "part" as a separate e-book, maybe one every few weeks (and how far apart should I do it)? Each part is fairly different in tone (setup -> rising action -> resolution) and while I think each part is interesting, they're all interesting for different reasons. I worry that some readers may read part one, think "ehh, not for me" and stop reading before it gets to the bits maybe they would like.

If each 40k part is sufficiently self-contained, it might work. I'd probably recommend publishing every 2 - 3 weeks. You wouldn't want to sit out and wait for the 30 day cliff, especially with rather short novellas. There is a good deal of hatred out there for serials and cliffhangers, though; I'm not sure how strong that is in fantasy, but you're wise to consider it.

If you were going to lose readers in the first 40k part, you'd lose them at the same stage with the whole novel, too.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it really depends on how well each individual part works once you chop it up. If you wrote it as one book, my inclination would be to publish it as one book. Fantasy readers like 'em long, generally, don't they?

There are definitely merits to releasing as a serial, but ideally you'd write each part with that in mind, not retroactively apply the format to a completed book.

Omnibuses (or bundles) are an important part of self-publishing, especially with the way that the Kindle Select fund works. Many readers prefer to wait until they're available, instead of waiting for each individual installment as they come.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mirage posted:

Semi-related question: Has anyone ever tried selling an omnibus edition of their earlier stuff, and how'd that work for you?

While I haven't published fantasy, just scifi, I do know that people have a higher page count expectation in fantasy. Judging from the top lists I'm not seeing serials. This is a good judge, if your niche isn't doing it already, you probably don't want to pioneer it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This month is my first five-figure month :D My second month of being full-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well today's the last day my book will be free on promotion, and I've moved... about a hundred overall. I guess I set my expectations a little too high, but eh. Honestly I'd be happy if I just got a review at this point.