Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

God drat america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cygni posted:

also the US trains are 186mph vs 125mph, which is a big difference. hes that guy that takes a picture of a base model shitbox into the dealer and wants the super expensive sportscar for the same price

It's also more expensive per train than the lower volume, faster duplex train contract they sold to morroco recently, including maintenance

É: way more detail here:
https://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/amtrak-pays-more-than-double-for-high-speed-trains/

quote:

2015/09/22

Amtrak Pays More Than Double for High-Speed Trains

Update 2016/8/16: the deal is on, per sources at Amtrak; the cost is $2.5 billion, as reported originally.

Update 9/24: as Alex Block notes in comments, sources at Amtrak deny the story, saying that Schumer spoke too soon, and there are still two bidders and Amtrak has not yet made its choice. If the cost turns out to be $1-1.25 billion rather than $2.5 billion, I will withdraw any and all criticism of the procurement process.

A press release from Senator Charles Schumer’s office is abuzz: Amtrak chose Alstom’s bid for its next order of high-speed trainsets, the Next-Generation Acelas. The press release mentions the size of the contract, $2.5 billion, and the number of jobs it would create, 750; it did not include any information relevant to passengers, such as the number of trains, the expected schedule of delivery, the expected frequency, and the expected travel time. Variousmedia outlets have reprinted Schumer’s press release without such additional information, or indeed any analysis. Let me rectify this and provide some background as to why this order is a fleece.

The order is for 28 trainsets with 425 seats each. This can be seen here and here. Of those 28 sets, 25 should be available for maximum service, well below the 98% peak availability achieved by the TGV, but an improvement over the Acela’s current 16 trains available out of 20. There is no mention of the number of cars, which is how orders are usually priced. However, on page 30 of the technical specs, it is mentioned that the maximum length is 200 meters, equivalent to 8 cars. The capacity is equivalent to about six cars’ worth of seating at the normal seat density of economy-class HSR (including the Amtrak Regional coach), or about seven cars’ worth averaged over all occupied Acela cars. The RFP mentions half a bistro car with an option for a full car (page 21 of instructions to offerors), so eight cars per train is a reasonable assumption. I have seen references to ten cars per set, which I believe come from the option for two additional cars per train (the instructions phrase this as “an extra 33.33% capacity”). From Schumer’s press release it’s difficult to know whether the $2.5 billion figure is the base order or also the option.

Eight cars per train times 28 trains equals 224 cars. $2.5 billion divided by 224 equals $11.2 million per car; if I am wrong and these are ten-car trains, then it is $8.9 million per car. In China, a very high-speed train, capable of 350-380 km/h, costs $4 million per car; this is $900 million at the size of Amtrak’s order. In Europe, the new Eurostar order cost a total of €600-700 million for ten 16-car Velaro trainsets, about $4.7-5.5 million per car in PPP terms (seehere and here); the uncertainty comes from euro:pound conversion rates and from the fact that a portion of the order is for refurbishment of the older trainsets. Siemens also sold 8-car Velaros to Deutsche Bahn for $5.2 million per car, again in PPP terms. Japanese trains are even cheaper, about $3 million per car in a recent N700 order, but only last 20 years, whereas European HSR trainsets last 40 and Amtrak specified a 30-year shelf life. The only non-US trainset order that I’ve seen that approaches the $10 million per car mark is the Velaro RUS, which is €600 million for eight 10-car trains, and this includes substantial modifications, such as winterization.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 27, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blowfish posted:

engineering a passenger train rolling bunker to survive a full on frontal crash with a freight train is dumb and pointless, you install safety equipment along the track that gets the passenger train to stop before it runs into the broken-down freight train like we do in superior kommunist europe

yea let me just accept liability for designing that train

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

blowfish posted:

engineering a passenger train rolling bunker to survive a full on frontal crash with a freight train is dumb and pointless, you install safety equipment along the track that gets the passenger train to stop before it runs into the broken-down freight train like we do in superior kommunist europe

it happens all the time in Europe.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like that last one in Italy where the cars disintegrated when they hit each other because they were made of and by and for cheap eurotrash.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

it happens all the time in Europe.

if you look at the number of passenger trips on trains in europe vs the number of accidents its pretty drat low

whereas the probability of dying on the DC metro is approaching the same level as driving a car

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am a big fan of trains that are regulated against telescoping

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea let me just accept liability for designing that train

businesses in europe do it all the time

Shaggar posted:

like that last one in Italy where the cars disintegrated when they hit each other because they were made of and by and for cheap eurotrash.

overall death rates for european trains are still quite low, so maybe do the 21st century regulation instead of the retarded regulation for slide rule engineers here?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

you should be setting a target rate of micromorts/km instead of spending $texas to save like on average 1/10 of a person per state wide train system per year when you could save many more by putting them into trains instead of lovely cars

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blowfish posted:

businesses in europe do it all the time

yep that's what i was mocking

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
why would i take a train or bus when i am gainfully employed? boeing and ford please and thanks.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pre and post work naps

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

blugu64 posted:

why would i take a train or bus when i am gainfully employed? boeing and ford please and thanks.

If you'd rather fly from London to Paris then you're a moron.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
the only flight i'd take from london is whatever the first flight is that gets my rear end back to Texas.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blugu64 posted:

the only flight i'd take from london is whatever the first flight is that gets my rear end back to Texas.

Lol u live in Texas

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

If you'd rather fly from London to Paris then you're a moron.

yeah for really short distances like that driving is fine.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i know you're trolling but it is actually possible, you just have to get a train for your car

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol driving from london to paris is shorter the Dallas to San Antonio, and I definitely fly that one if its a holiday weekend.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
amtrak is not expected to pay its own capital costs. so no poo poo they get mediocre deals. they care much more about optics and safety and impressive service than the price. the price is irrelevant.

it makes it very difficult to give a gently caress about one bad deal when all of the deals are likely to be bad and we know exactly why they are bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Lol u live in Texas

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stolen from the anonymous confessions thread

quote:
I used to be an LRV (light rail vehicle) operator. I got demoted back to bus for being an unfunny smartass. See, our trains had these various audio cues you could activate. They also had Muzak (which I wished we could play during revenue service or at least while deadheading, but our managers hate fun so they say no) along with assorted cues based on different holidays. So for instance you could have the train play a little Jingle Bells riff around Christmastime.

On a cold February evening, I pulled into the last station on my route. I got out of the cab to check for anybody still asleep and to take inventory of any left items. There was an elderly man in the frontmost car of the consist, near my cab, who appeared asleep and could not be roused. I called over the radio that I couldn't wake up a passenger and a supervisor arrived some time later. When he couldn't wake the old man and worried something was medically wrong with him, he called the sheriff, who in turn called the Coroner. At this point I was ordered to stand by in the cab and basically stay out of the way.

However, within earshot of the goings on, I could hear the Coroner confirm that the elderly man had in fact expired on my train. Given the rare opportunity, I punched in a particular code in the train's computer; K57. The supervisor, Sheriff and deputies, and Coroner were then serenaded with a lovely rendition of "Taps" which played for the Memorial Day holiday cue. Apparently the Supervisor didn't appreciate my sense of irony.

And that is why I am no longer a LRV operator.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ArmZ posted:

quote:
I used to be an LRV (light rail vehicle) operator. I got demoted back to bus for being an unfunny smartass. See, our trains had these various audio cues you could activate. They also had Muzak (which I wished we could play during revenue service or at least while deadheading, but our managers hate fun so they say no) along with assorted cues based on different holidays. So for instance you could have the train play a little Jingle Bells riff around Christmastime.

On a cold February evening, I pulled into the last station on my route. I got out of the cab to check for anybody still asleep and to take inventory of any left items. There was an elderly man in the frontmost car of the consist, near my cab, who appeared asleep and could not be roused. I called over the radio that I couldn't wake up a passenger and a supervisor arrived some time later. When he couldn't wake the old man and worried something was medically wrong with him, he called the sheriff, who in turn called the Coroner. At this point I was ordered to stand by in the cab and basically stay out of the way.

However, within earshot of the goings on, I could hear the Coroner confirm that the elderly man had in fact expired on my train. Given the rare opportunity, I punched in a particular code in the train's computer; K57. The supervisor, Sheriff and deputies, and Coroner were then serenaded with a lovely rendition of "Taps" which played for the Memorial Day holiday cue. Apparently the Supervisor didn't appreciate my sense of irony.

:same:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ArmZ posted:

quote:

lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
sometimes I get a J train with a cool conductor

couple of months ago he announced at every stop THIS IS A J TRAIN TO JAMAICA CENTER THIS TRAIN WILL BE GOING OVER THE WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE then when we went over the bridge he went on the PA to give the history of it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

couple of months ago he announced at every stop THIS IS A J TRAIN TO JAMAICA CENTER THIS TRAIN WILL BE GOING OVER THE WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE then when we went over the bridge he went on the PA to give the history of it

you can always tell the part-timers

the full time guys will never get on the mic except to yell about fuckers blocking the doors

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ArmZ posted:

quote:

holy lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
on the caltrain for my commute home i love when i get the pothead conductor since he makes dad jokes about every station name and everyone unsmilingly looks at eachother

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

blugu64 posted:

God drat trap sprung

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

love those old J and C trains where you can stand at the front and have an unblocked window

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ArmZ posted:

quote:

That guy owns and it's a shame he got demoted

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

That guy owns and it's a shame he got demoted

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LANES

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

nice cities skylines beginner screenshot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ :argh:

how'd you get such a good screen shot of my skylines cities?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

southern california and texas are so bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the best is when comedians bitch about los angeles when they're forced to move there from nyc

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

the problem is all the nimby hippies demanding we don't add another 3-4 more lanes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

blugu64 posted:

the problem is all the nimby hippies demanding we don't add another 3-4 more lanes.

it looks like they've tried adding 3-4 lanes a few times already. Perhaps they could try a rail line next time?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

blugu64 posted:

yeah let's drop however many billion into increasing capacity by 5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah let's drop however many billion into increasing capacity by 5%

that improves traffic conditions for 6 months tops before demand is induced enough to take up that additional capacity

• Locked thread