Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The next chapter better not take as long.

Oh and it's Deathco time. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Deathco/Vol-002-Ch-007--Paradise-Tour-002?id=311089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Billy Bat is over.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the best Urasawa comic.

A comic about how great comics are.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am looking forward to reading the good comic.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Fabricated posted:

I heard about Goblin Slayer and then found out it was based on a light novel so I figured it would be bad and it is.

You sure as gently caress weren't lying, this comic is hilariously edgy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Despite the fact that all new adventurer parties get either murdered or raped by goblins they continue to be seen as beginner fodder for some unknowable reason and nobody realizes this except the main character, the Goblin Slayer, who knows everything about goblins hallowed be his name

There I summarized the entire series for you, you can now not read it and say you did

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*satirical impression of a poster that read the goblin rape comic, and then continued to read as more rapes happened*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*satirical impression of a poster that read about somebody reading the goblin rape comic and how awful it was, and deciding to seek it out on their own*

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I read Goblin Slayer before anyone else because I consume bad isekai light novels like popcorn

coathat
May 21, 2007

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I read Goblin Slayer before anyone else because I consume bad isekai light novels like popcorn

You read half of them then leave the rest because you got sick of it halfway through? That's how I eat popcorn.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Sharkopath posted:

*satirical impression of a poster that read about somebody reading the goblin rape comic and how awful it was, and deciding to seek it out on their own*

Half the forum read wolf guy as well when it ran as well. Trashy manga has a sort of allure that's hard to explain

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slime posted:

You read half of them then leave the rest because you got sick of it halfway through? That's how I eat popcorn.

I don't even get that far honestly

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the goblins represent foreigners

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wild Horses posted:

Half the forum read wolf guy as well when it ran as well. Trashy manga has a sort of allure that's hard to explain

To be fair when the rape started the thread was abandoned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we read wolf guy because a bunch of us liked akumetsu. when it became obvious that the remake of a rape manga was surprisingly a rape manga, most of us dropped it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
it went to poo poo way before the 20+ chapters of straight rape

that was just the cherry on top of the shitheap :cenobite:

coathat
May 21, 2007

The old wolf guy manga is cool.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nice little collection of short stories. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hana-bolo-r19599

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

the goblins represent foreigners

everyone knows that troll slaiyers is the superior manga

coathat
May 21, 2007

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Deathco/Vol-002-Ch-008--Paradise-Tour-003?id=312326

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kengan asura is really good if you like stupid fighting manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know what the Japanese for the "bleh" sound is in that panel?

I love Kaneko Atsushi's art so much; it's possibly my favorite manga art style.

edit: Hm, judging from the Japanese version of another panel maybe it's "baaaaa"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 1, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone know what the Japanese for the "bleh" sound is in that panel?

I love Kaneko Atsushi's art so much; it's possibly my favorite manga art style.

edit: Hm, judging from the Japanese version of another panel maybe it's "baaaaa"

Haven't seen the panel in Japanese so can't say for sure, but it could be べー (beeeeh)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

kengan asura is really good if you like stupid fighting manga

The Ketchup Ninja guy is doing art for this, if that interests anyone.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Despite the fact that all new adventurer parties get either murdered or raped by goblins they continue to be seen as beginner fodder for some unknowable reason and nobody realizes this except the main character, the Goblin Slayer, who knows everything about goblins hallowed be his name

There I summarized the entire series for you, you can now not read it and say you did

I'm going to read it and you can't stop me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm going to read it and you can't stop me.

Godspeed brave warrior

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The goblin slayer is going to take off his helmet to reveal that he was the goblins all along.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

The goblin slayer is going to take off his helmet to reveal that he was the goblins all along.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Pop Team Epic is the hero we deserve.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's finally Soil time. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Soil/Vol-008-Ch-060---Symbol-?id=314085

I'm so happy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was just running over here to spread the gospel. I'm so pumped for more Soil.

The wait is finally over. Hopefully, for good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the terrifying power of weaponized thirst.

http://bato.to/reader#5e496ab36147e4d3

Wanko rules, now i'm all sad again cause I'd have loved to see the comics the man would have made as he kept getting older and more talented.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Well, I'm pretty sure Inside Mari ended on chapter 80. Lovely watercolor pages. The mangaka nails melancholy, depression, body image perception and the way trauma shapes people really well. (Outside of the eye-rollingly predictable dissociative identity disorder aspect.) The ending is exactly what I expected; no spectacle, no huge pay off. Life goes on and that's that. And while I really appreciate this style of storytelling, Inside Mari did feel like it meandered a lot in its second half. He had the same problem with Flowers of Evil, really.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I thought Inside Mari ended pretty disappointingly to be honest. I only read it about a month ago so the pacing issues didn't bother me at all, even if they were obvious as I read when taking into account the 20 pages/14 days release schedule. First off I thought that the details of her her split personality issues were glossed over a bit too much for me - you never get the sense of non-Fumiko Mari at all, which I get is kinda the point but it doesn't make sense to just discard the majority of her life as 'not REALLY her' just because the Fumiko/Isao personalities were more honest and important to the story. Secondly I thought said issues were also quite suddenly and easily solved in the end, especially given how long and relatively well-depicted the journey there had been.

The biggest issue I had with the ending if I look at the big picture and ignore what I was most invested in for a moment is how the resolution of both Mari and Yori's biggest outside conflicts were basically completely skipped, that being their mom/sister respectively (though to be fair, Yori at least started some reconciliation with her sister so it wasn't nearly as bad). Again, I could see the justification for these - Inside Mari is, as the title indicates, mostly a story about the conflicts inside of you, with yourself, rather than with your surroundings. Okay, fair enough. Yet, while I can understand the focus on their inner struggles, I really can't just accept that the main causes - at least in Mari's case - of their inner conflicts weren't properly dealt with at all. I mean Mari's mom basically just left the story which is stupid as hell. Especially since her presence in the story was as an actual character and force on Mari's psyche, not just a symbol or whatever.

Finally, I personally thought dropping the tangled relationship between Mari and Yori right at the end was really lazy and unsatisfying for a few reasons. First, I gather Mari potentially issues with sexuality was a pretty popular theory as the basis of her issues (even if that turned out to be wrong), and I'd say it was certainly A part of her character and the story that was left dangling in later chapters once Mari and Yori started figuring out the whole Isao = split personality stuff. Just leaving it basically ignored and unaddressed really feels like a huge cop-out as I read it. Second because while at the beginning of the story my thought was that their interactions were deeply unhealthy on both of their parts, I actually have the opposite reaction by the end. Their obsessions - Mari's with Isao, and Yori's with Mari - were obviously incredibly unhealthy. But throughout the story, even with the issues and regressions that popped up, they both vastly improved with each-other's help to the point where, as mentioned in my first paragraph, it felt kinda unearned/miraculous at the very end how much so they did. But instead of looking at it from either of these angles - addressing Yori's unhealthy fixation at the start of the story which was mostly ignored in favor of figuring out Mari, or acknowledging the genuine friendship and connection they'd built, the story just kinda ignores it.

Now granted, all of my complaints in the final paragraph can be easily swept aside easily with one explanation: the new Mari isn't Isao-Mari, or any other Mari really. The new Mari is a different person. Presumably she and Yori don't have a super-close connection any more, her sexuality is unimportant or straight as can be, because it's new Mari. And it's a 100% reasonable explanation, at least in line with the general logic of the manga thus far. Besides, they've finished high-school now, lots of friends split up at that point! But that really kinda gets at the core of my issue with the ending - just because it's reasonable or realistic, doesn't automatically make it interesting or fulfilling or good storytelling. Which this ending definitely wasn't to me. There was no real reason or benefit to skipping to the end of high-school anyway besides having an excuse not to give any closure or even comment on the dangling plot-threads. And frankly, given the first two paragraphs of my complaints I have trouble accepting the ending as realistic.

I never read or watched Flowers of Evil, but I've seen various thoughts/complaints from people that it had an unsatisfying ending too. I can't say if I'd agree with that having no clue what that story's even about much less what the ending was, but if it was in any way similar to this, I can't say I'd have any interest in reading more stories by the author. Clearly their kind of stories aren't to my tastes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Flowers of evil ended way better than Mari did.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I might check it out after all then, I quite liked Inside Mari apart from the ending (and as I said the obvious pacing issues where barely anything happened for a whole chapter, which wouldn't be an issue with a completed work anyway). But not for a while.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Flowers of Evil for me had a thrilling first half, and a second half that struck me as being completely disconnected from what came before. Inside Mari, as plodding as it was, never felt as lost as Flowers of Evil did after the first arc.

Also, I do agree that a lot of the conflict in Inside Mari in regards to the mom's emotional abuse in particular, but definitely not limited just to it, were all swept under the rug. I got the impression the mangaka himself was getting bothered by how slow the pacing was, and after the "twist" was revealed, probably wanted to wrap things up as fast as possible.

And you're right, as unhealthy as the initial spark for Mari and Yori's relationship was, I was saddened that it didn't last, because as the story progressed, it felt like they were no longer just emotional leeches and were actually supporting each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This Thai webtoon showed up recently, and it looks like it might be interesting, it's called Teen Mom. It's about a high school graduate who finds out she's pregnant and doesn't know what to do, there's only a half dozen chapters so far and they're short, but it looks cute and I think it's the first Thai series I've seen that's been translated.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Teen-Mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Throw Thailand in the trash because it's Soil time. http://bato.to/reader#c3a4e1fa7c9dc622