Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trick Question posted:

Okay, seriously though, blocking doesn't seem to do a god-drat thing against this dude's second form. In particular I haven't found any way to deal with when he throws the bowling balls.

you just hold x and run sideways and they always miss.
then run away from him a lot until he falls over and you can get free hits (but watch out cause his fall animation is a 1 hit ko)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You can sprint while locked on? Goddammit, should have figured that out. Thanks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That you can block attacks from Oni turned them from "oh my gently caress" moments to "haha, no problem" moments. That revelation changed the entire tone of the game for me. I realized it in the final confrontation of the grass sub-mission and tanked through it all instead of dying instantly.

I'm loving all the weird mythological critters in the caves too. Repeatedly shooting the schoolgirl Oni in the eye by exploiting its ai is hilarious. Didn't catch the kappa though.

The combat is fast like Bloodborne, but with actual blocking and stance changes that I'm sure master pvp'ers will start doing mid-combo to fake people out. I'm legitimately excited for this game.

Edit: I'm even farming bloodstain phantoms for items because most of them are dumb enough to keep swinging into your block until they tire out. Never thought I'd be doing that in a Souls-like.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 28, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The end boss of the skeleton warrior place was insane but the Living Weapon (Firedog, yeah!) plus some higher defense armor really helped out a lot. Yokai used to be super scary but now they're really not that bad. I'm on the third area and and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That you can block attacks from Oni turned them from "oh my gently caress" moments to "haha, no problem" moments. That revelation changed the entire tone of the game for me. I realized it in the final confrontation of the grass sub-mission and tanked through it all instead of dying instantly.

I'm loving all the weird mythological critters in the caves too. Repeatedly shooting the schoolgirl Oni in the eye by exploiting its ai is hilarious. Didn't catch the kappa though.

The combat is fast like Bloodborne, but with actual blocking and stance changes that I'm sure master pvp'ers will start doing mid-combo to fake people out. I'm legitimately excited for this game.

Edit: I'm even farming bloodstain phantoms for items because most of them are dumb enough to keep swinging into your block until they tire out. Never thought I'd be doing that in a Souls-like.

Most oni that you encounter are easy enough to slide around, even those wheel ones, but blocking is thankfully useful in a pinch. Really, the toughest enemy I've fought has been the both the normal and twilight version of the bat woman in the cave. And yeah, I think the combat has more in common with BB than something like Dark Souls 3, which I think works in its favor. Different enough to stand out on its own though. Stances, a bigger emphasis on combos and managing stamina, more involved blocking/parrying/dodging. I still can't figure out how to do some of the fancier movies consistently, but overall I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Some stuff could still use some tweaking, but this has promise for a first attempt. I still prefer BB's gameplay and world design, but Nioh has certainly been one of the most fun souls-likes I've played.

As for the enemy and world design, I like it for the most part. TI think the levels are simplistic, but most of the equipment looks solid, striking a nice balance between fantastic and practical. I also like the use of myths/folklore for enemy design inspiration and think it helps even some of the "basic" looking monsters stick out compared to generic fantasy creatures. In some ways, this is a more technical souls-like married to Onimusha and that's not a bad thing! (Also, for the Kappa, you gotta corner it. Otherwise, it just seems way too quick!)

I'd still love for someone to play around with an idea like this, or even way of the samurai, with Thirty Years War or the English Civil War as the backdrop, but I've come to accept that won't happen anytime soon!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

do yourself a favor and never buy the skills that are "L1 + dodge" because they're all bad and doing them on accident is the worst

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

do yourself a favor and never buy the skills that are "L1 + dodge" because they're all bad and doing them on accident is the worst

the block parry skills on square and triangle work pretty good for me. just gotta learn to not try to attack while still holding l1 or you are dead

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

apparently muneshige's many powers include being able to grab and knock you down for just for dodging near him after his buff

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the twilight missions have some cool little gimmicks. the Mandolin playing demons are a really cool concept. now I wonder how many high level players will die near those guys on purpose to gently caress over other players

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lets hang out posted:

apparently muneshige's many powers include being able to grab and knock you down for just for dodging near him after his buff

His weakness to rocks makes up for most of his tricky moves.

CharlestonJew posted:

the twilight missions have some cool little gimmicks. the Mandolin playing demons are a really cool concept. now I wonder how many high level players will die near those guys on purpose to gently caress over other players

Do they consistently revive dead players, or is it just some that do? I've run into a couple that don't seem to do much aside from summon floating heads.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fire Barrel posted:

His weakness to rocks makes up for most of his tricky moves.

Do they consistently revive dead players, or is it just some that do? I've run into a couple that don't seem to do much aside from summon floating heads.

The dead player has to be within a certain radius of the mandolin player and close enough to you to be summoned. They can also only summon 1 dead player at a time, it seems.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, I spent so many attempts, prolly upwards of twenty, trying to beat the boss of the caves with a spear. Was getting really frustrated so I decided to try my old reliable hammer.

Lo and behold it only took three tries after I swapped to that since their youkai bar just couldn't handle it. drat did that feel satisfying. :allears:

Overlord K fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 28, 2016

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Is there a trick involving gesturing at these tanuki enemies? I try repeating what they do but they just get mad and fight me anyways.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Get closer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK wow, this demo has been incredibly addictive. Amazed it slipped under my radar.

Revenants are basically CPU player corpses?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If you want to make someone unlearn everything they've ever learned about Dark Souls, have them play this for a couple hours.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Deified Data posted:

If you want to make someone unlearn everything they've ever learned about Dark Souls, have them play this for a couple hours.

It's funny reading bullshit excuses like "Dark Souls is more refined and polished hur dur"

No, you're just poo poo because you've been conditioned to play like a rheumatic turtle.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Wall spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZt8vEOwV_Y

:stare:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the best way to use dual katanas? They seem to have the exact same problems as daggers in dark souls because they don't stagger too well and the speed pales in comparison to the dps of the other, slower weapons

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

It's funny reading bullshit excuses like "Dark Souls is more refined and polished hur dur"

No, you're just poo poo because you've been conditioned to play like a rheumatic turtle.

I think both play quite well, but spending all day dodging with X and attacking with square and triangle had me flailing around like a dying fish when I returned to DS3.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lakbay posted:

What's the best way to use dual katanas? They seem to have the exact same problems as daggers in dark souls because they don't stagger too well and the speed pales in comparison to the dps of the other, slower weapons

1. get a buddy, this is the best and easiest thing to do, dual swords just aren't great at handling threats up front

2. if you hate putzing around with perfect ki-pulsing, dont use these weapons, Flux is massively important for damage on these more than any of the others

3. reforge an element on there
3a. invest in magic so you can have EVEN MORE element

4. invest in smoke bombs if you're feeling saucy? they currently completely negate aggro and leave enemies functionally stunned, so you can go up and blend them with water slashes or w/e

5. get all of the ki regen passives for guarding

6. use light armor, stay below 60% burden or whatever that number is for maximum agility

7. you know how your critical attacks suck? follow them up with iai strikes, the timing is such that almost every single enemy will wakeup straight into it after you execute a critical

8. just use more iai strikes in general, they're unblockable and while fairly punishable, you often get thrown past the enemy far enough to revert back to guarding

e: 9. general gameplay tip: if you gently caress up and get hit, don't mash dodge, hold down the block button. you cannot dodge out of hitstun, but you can block out of it

some hot tips i have stumbled upon in my equally futile quest to play only dual swords and feeling the same problems. like, unfortunately, dual swords are pretty rear end if you just want a grab-and-go weapon. they require a fuckload of setup for everything and a whole lot of unfun micromanagement.

pick a different weapon.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 28, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I think both play quite well, but spending all day dodging with X and attacking with square and triangle had me flailing around like a dying fish when I returned to DS3.

I had a similar problem returning to DS3, though it wasn't exclusive to returning after playing Nioh. I had the same issues moving between BB and DS3, especially when trying to go from RP to piercing swords. I don't mind more deliberate, or slower paced, gameplay, but I like fluidity and DS3 feels oddly sluggish at times (even compared to SotFS). That's one reason I wished they had shifted to slides/quicksteps for locked-on dodging in DS3. Might've helped to quicken things a bit more.

That said, I think some of the movement/techniques in Nioh have their own issues which need tweaking, especially in terms of responsiveness, so it's certainly not perfect. Also had a few areas where a wonky camera was a noticeable issue (mainly in the tunnels) but that's not really unique to Nioh and it wasn't that debilitating. I've also yet to use magics on much of anything, so I might need to tinker with that a bit.

Lastly, in spite of a relatively limited selection of weapons, I don't mind fighting the same style/weapon as much as I do with the PvPers from DS3. A katana wielding revenant feels more fun to fight than a person using the same shield and comically sized weapon.

CharlestonJew posted:

The dead player has to be within a certain radius of the mandolin player and close enough to you to be summoned. They can also only summon 1 dead player at a time, it seems.

Figured it was something like that. I think I may have just overestimated the effective range.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, trying out the demo and felt pretty good up, rocking my way through with no deaths until I found the armored guy with the axe. After that, holy crap I started dying a lot. I gave up on beating the axe man, and can handle pretty much anyone else so long as they're in reasonable numbers (not three or four at once) but then I got to my first Yokai and he one-two'd me into the ground.

I'm trying to use spears and axes. Definitely digging the low-stance axe moveset for jabbing and interrupting, but I don't have the rhythm for ki restoration. There's just so much happening god drat.

So I have ninjutsu and onmyo points but I have no idea how to use those things. Is that something that unlocks later in the demo or is it something I can already do that I missed somehow?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The option to equip jutsus doesn't unlock until you buys jutsus to equip. As soon as you spend some of those points, the menu will unlock at the shrine.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
yay i did it i beat the cave lady all by myself

i fuckin

i fuckin killed the poo poo out of her

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Nioh definitely proves that Bloodborne's "fewer weapons with more varied movesets" approach was the right one, at least to me.

Really the only thing I'm finding myself consistently annoyed by are the interactions that require you to hold a certain button to complete it, like picking up loot or mounting a ladder.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Nioh definitely proves that Bloodborne's "fewer weapons with more varied movesets" approach was the right one, at least to me.

Really the only thing I'm finding myself consistently annoyed by are the interactions that require you to hold a certain button to complete it, like picking up loot or mounting a ladder.

I sort of like that since it prevents inopportune button presses from potentially throwing you off your game. Picking up an item which brings up a new menu, even a small one, can be annoying during combat.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

yay i did it i beat the cave lady all by myself

i fuckin

i fuckin killed the poo poo out of her

Congrats, she's a tough one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

This only bugs me as a transition to learning the controls. There's lots of situations where holding and tapping being different is very hand. For example, you can't accidentally summon a revenant while picking up dropped loot, because you have to hold to summon a revenant. You also can't accidentally get on ladders.

So I'm constantly annoyed by it to, but only because I keep forgetting that I have to do it. I don't mind when I remember what I'm supposed to do.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, how do I get elixirs from my storehouse? I have a mountain of those drat things (I think) and I can't get to them.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I ran across a bloody grave that was glowing with golden light. After I killed him, he dropped every piece of his armor including his weapon.

That was the only one I've seen. Figure they must be really rare.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Emalde posted:

pick a different weapon.

good enough for me, thank you for trying to make them viable (and sadly failing)

This is not going to change, but my main problem is that there's this hand-crafted world and hand-placed loot corpses but all the loot itself is still diablo style so it discourages exploring for me when the main appeal for souls-like games is exploration

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rubicon posted:

I ran across a bloody grave that was glowing with golden light. After I killed him, he dropped every piece of his armor including his weapon.

That was the only one I've seen. Figure they must be really rare.

They have "proper" names so I suspect they're NPC invader things, rather than player zombies.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Most of them are player zombies. The ones with red names are dev placed ones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

This is not going to change, but my main problem is that there's this hand-crafted world and hand-placed loot corpses but all the loot itself is still diablo style so it discourages exploring for me when the main appeal for souls-like games is exploration

yeah farming dead players for gear will get you plenty of good stuff so going into a trapped room after a glowy doesn't feel worth it.

it would be cool if there were artifact class items that could only be found via exploration but i guess that would make the drops useless instead so idk how to balance it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

like okay here we go, i've been using dual swords since i started the demo earlier in the week, have used nothing else, i have no samurai points invested anywhere else

i've been trying to kill tachibana for literal days, never getting further than roughly 50% with the odd 10% here or there before succumbing.

i switched to longsword and won in two attempts despite knowing nothing about the weapon combos and having no auxiliary skills invested, active/passive/otherwise.

jfc :bang:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm a little unsure as to how elemental damage works (like the enchantment magic you can learn) -- I learned the lightning one and I know it gives a pretty solid flat damage bonus and I assume there will be enemies weak to lightning eventually that will take more damage obviously, but does elemental damage have other effects besides that? Like I've seen a little icon start to fill up on enemies when I hit them while I'm lightning enchanted, is that paralysis or something? They always die before I can actually fill it up enough to proc it.

If I'm right & electric attacks paralyze, what do the other elements do, if anything? Also if I find a weapon that already does elemental damage can I temporarily enchant it with more elemental damage on top of that or is it handled Dark Souls style where you can't stack like that?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Lightning debuff slows down people when it's fully triggered. Paraylze is a different debuff.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Emalde posted:

i switched to longsword and won in two attempts despite knowing nothing about the weapon combos and having no auxiliary skills invested, active/passive/otherwise.

jfc :bang:

Just like in dark souls 3!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It is exceptional how much improvement went from Alpha to Beta.

This was a game I could not even bother to finish the demo for to a pre-order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Just like in dark souls 3!

at least dark souls 3 still had good pyromancy :negative: