Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

JustJeff88 posted:

" So, possibly without realising it, they difficultify (I'm trying to make that term catch on)

Save yourself some embarrassment and don't bother. The word doesn't roll off the tongue easily, it doesn't sound good, it looks ugly, and the idea it expresses is equally well stated as pushing the skill envelope. If you're going to insist on making a single word for every idea, try to make them beautiful and easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Save yourself some embarrassment and don't bother. The word doesn't roll off the tongue easily, it doesn't sound good, it looks ugly, and the idea it expresses is equally well stated as pushing the skill envelope. If you're going to insist on making a single word for every idea, try to make them beautiful and easy to use.
Stop trying to difficultititfite the linguistic process.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My English is augmented.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I came across a car on the freeway today with a vanity license plate that read "DENTON." I should have pulled along side the driver and asked if his vision was augmented.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Xander77 posted:

More GDMX stuff:

Medical and repair bots run out of energy after you use them twice. Oh, and they are still on a timer that's stops you from using them for a minute between the two.

Scramble grenades are effective for exactly 8 seconds.

Each time you come back to Smuggler through the main entrance, with the password, his bot resets to being hostile (the same is probably true for the alternate entrance). On the last visit, it's two hostile bots and a turret.

The MJ12 troops no longer converge on your location after you meet Stanton Dowd. Now they come after you once you've left Smuggler, and are in a bottleneck.

There's a soldier (not an MJ12 guy) facing the gate the friendly guards open at the shipyard. He started shooting at me the moment the gate opened, and died in a firefight with the friendly soldiers.

These are all true and annoyed me too.

When I took the helicopter on the roof back to jock, I saw every mk12 tropper shooting at dowd for like 5 minutes before I got bored and left.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Chiming in with a few of the things I liked about GMDX:

-Invisible War-style HUD (scrolling through inventory without having to pull out a weapon)

-Automatic holstering when grabbing an in-game object

-Mantling

-Uh...?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

visually the map additions are pretty nice. lots of bits and pieces that fit right in and add detail to otherwise boring areas. someone should cut that bit out and add it to a better mod.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Oh yeah! The little additions to the game maps were pretty fun. Little, bite-sized bits that made me want to play through the game again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MrJacobs posted:

use the other dozen from corpses you dropped with your first knife.

For some reason I was thinking that you can only carry one of any melee weapon, but if Shifter made those throwable then it would be quite sensible to let the player carry as many as he can hold and possibly make them stackable.

John_A_Tallon posted:

You clearly missed the subtle sarcasmification of my expressed desire to coin a new term.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The cromulence ship has sailed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can concede to that. GMDX happens to appeal to my exact playstyle.

The playstyle that ignores the GEP gun.

AKA the bad playstyle.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo you guys! Been playing this game since release and never used the GEP gun until now! Started a new play through and just walked right in the Liberty statue front door blowing poo poo up and rescuing Gunther. Later Paul was like ":stare: you killed a lot of dudes..."

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo you guys! Been playing this game since release and never used the GEP gun until now!
You could have just written "I have wasted my life" it's a lot more concise

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Linguica posted:

You could have just written "I have wasted my life" it's a lot more concise

Since we're talking a first GEP gun use, I'd say it was "I just stopped wasting my life!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Stop wasting your life and start wasting lives with the GEP gun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was never low enough on explosives in the original game to attempt a backtrack to the arms dealer in the metro station next to the catacombs. Did vanilla permanently close the catacombs door behind you as well?

Introduced by and included in better mods. Automatically holstering weapons is kinda cool though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Prav posted:

visually the map additions are pretty nice. lots of bits and pieces that fit right in and add detail to otherwise boring areas. someone should cut that bit out and add it to a better mod.

CowboyAndy posted:

Oh yeah! The little additions to the game maps were pretty fun. Little, bite-sized bits that made me want to play through the game again.

:agreed:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just found something cool. Shortly after betraying UNATCO, I found an in-game newspaper article that cites you as the terrorist leader that attacked the Statue of Liberty, and that you escaped. It uses whatever you set your real name to be.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Every time I play through this game I discover something new. This time it's the inherent irony of a free clinic demanding cash up front before treatment. Of course, that's been staring at me in the face every time I went through Hell's Kitchen but I never really appreciated it until now.

What a game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are there any pacifist playthroughs of Deus Ex 1? Youtube just gives me HR.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FEj75sVXwo&list=PL8B3C5852853469DF

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo you guys! Been playing this game since release and never used the GEP gun until now! Started a new play through and just walked right in the Liberty statue front door blowing poo poo up and rescuing Gunther. Later Paul was like ":stare: you killed a lot of dudes..."

You're going to poo poo bricks the first time you use the other GEP ammo...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:getin:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just found something cool. Shortly after betraying UNATCO, I found an in-game newspaper article that cites you as the terrorist leader that attacked the Statue of Liberty, and that you escaped. It uses whatever you set your real name to be.

I think that's found in the bathroom of the MJ12 base in Hong Kong.

New discovery for me: on the top floor of the mole people's lair, then a hidden cache of items hidden behind a subway map.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stuff that I really should have expected from GDMX:

Constantly out of lockpicks, despite Mastering the skill and getting the "open any lock with one lockpick" skill. Meanwhile, plenty of multitools just chilling in my inventory. A bunch of doors and grates that were previously unlocked are now locked, and there was basically no balancing with multitool usage.

Of course there are Karkians in the Vandenberg base flooded section. Why wouldn't there be? And of course there are now three giant spiderbots guarding the underwater UC.

poo poo that actually surprised me:

A new brief and extremely loud snippet of lovely music that keeps looping over and over in the ocean lab living quarters. Brilliant.

Um... the hatch in the silo above Howard Strong - the one that serves as a shortcut back to Jock once you're done? It's permanently locked, forcing you to backtrack all the way.

My namesake in area 51 isn't holed up on the roof, but sitting around in the office, easily reachable by the MJ12 troops.

Does vanilla toggle your laser off every time you switch weapons?

GDMX positives:

Perk system

Auto-holstering

More modability for weapons, and an actual mod slot counter.

Easier knockouts from behind - no more "magic spot" searching.

Goddamn this is boring. No idea what I was expecting. And his insistence on trying to knock out people from the front is infuriating.

CowboyAndy posted:

New discovery for me: on the top floor of the mole people's lair, then a hidden cache of items hidden behind a subway map.
It also has the bathroom code, just in case you gently caress up all the other ways to learn it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 26, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Xander77 posted:

Um... the hatch in the silo above Howard Strong - the one that serves as a shortcut back to Jock once you're done? It's permanently locked, forcing you to backtrack all the way.

There's a button next to the hatch.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Xander77 posted:

Goddamn this is boring. No idea what I was expecting. And his insistence on trying to knock out people from the front is infuriating.

Non-lethal/stealth playthroughs of video games are usually not that interesting to watch because they reward slow and methodical playing. An exception are runs that abuse the AI to go fast, like those Hitman: Blood Money Silent Assassin speedruns.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I started playing DX Revision. The room in Liberty Island before Gunther didn't have the usual weapon mod. Are these changes documented anywhere?

E: Or does Realistic difficulty change item placings? Pretty sure I haven't played on it before.

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 27, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wrong thread derp

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 27, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Whoever runs the GMDX youtube channel claims this is a BSP error rather than an intentional attempt to stop script-breaking.

Edit - is there a version Biomod that includes the Shifter skill bonuses? Or better yet, a version of Shifter with the Biomod "on use only" items and augs?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 27, 2016

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Deus Ex Revision, I like you dawg, but why are you trying to do the whole 'piss-filter' thing in only some of your maps?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CowboyAndy posted:

Deus Ex Revision, I like you dawg, but why are you trying to do the whole 'piss-filter' thing in only some of your maps?

The mod's bladder is augmented.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm playing Deus Ex on my new computer and it's almost unplayably fast. The dialogue gets cut off and the it's all herky jerky.

I'm sure someone has a solution.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Always use Kentie's launcher

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thanks, that fixed it right up!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm playing thru revision with the "biomod" option enabled. Shouldn't certain augs like the "lift heavy poo poo" aug be passive and always on? Cuz it isn't. Am I doing something wrong or was that changed?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So I'm playing thru revision with the "biomod" option enabled. Shouldn't certain augs like the "lift heavy poo poo" aug be passive and always on? Cuz it isn't. Am I doing something wrong or was that changed?

turn it on, then its passive until you use it iirc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone got an exact breakdown of the Shifter xp bonuses for different kill / knockout / evasion types?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I have 113 bullets but when I have my handgun it shows that I have 6 bullets and 0 clips. I can make that work but I'd much rather have 113 bullets than 6 bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MrJacobs posted:

turn it on, then its passive until you use it iirc.

Yep that's it, thanks!