Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ambaire posted:

1.10.2 EnderIO can get hosed. The new soul binder makes a godawful sound like nails on a chalkboard only ten thousand times worse. It seems to be designed more for torturing people than gameplay. I disabled the machine sounds for it as soon as I heard it. And I also disable mekanism machine sounds because who the gently caress wants to hear all that pounding and whatever.
I really think that the whole dumb idea behind Mekanism sounds is that the dude who made it wanted you to place it on the other side of your build area to avoid that crap. But yeah, dear god ever try using the sawmill with those noises turned on? My ears, my poor ears.

My real point was that I like there is an audible indicator to if a TiCon cast is ready to take out or not. The cooling mechanic can go gently caress itself, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bigperm posted:

Your best bet is probably All the Mods.

Got drat this thing is a mess. Takes 20 minutes to load the game and stutters for 5 seconds every 4 seconds.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 26, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Magmarashi posted:

Got drat this thing is a mess. Takes 20 minutes to load the game and stutters for 5 seconds every 4 seconds.

Ok so it isn't just me then. With the stuttering I mean. I get mild stutters like every 20-30 seconds or so on vanilla though. AllTheMods is drat near unplayable for me though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I had huge stutters when I just put in ore spawn control and base ores
Tinker construct seemed to be the only non rf means of ore doubling for 1.10

That's why it's disappointing that after gathering materials for stacks of grout, to smelt into bricks, to build into a structure, and after fueling it with tanks of lava... that it won't let you double ores without wasting your loving time. what does the designer think players would build the smelter for

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Tool/weapon molds? :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acne Rain posted:

I had huge stutters when I just put in ore spawn control and base ores
Tinker construct seemed to be the only non rf means of ore doubling for 1.10

That's why it's disappointing that after gathering materials for stacks of grout, to smelt into bricks, to build into a structure, and after fueling it with tanks of lava... that it won't let you double ores without wasting your loving time. what does the designer think players would build the smelter for
The first pack I tried was really bad. I ripped out a bunch of mods and it magically improved. I just got rid of stuff I didn't recognize. There was one mod adding tons of animal sounds and crap. I think there was some other atmospheric mod adding falling leaves and junk. I'm inclined to blame that first.

On the smeltery side, I'm almost inclined to just suck it up because I think it's still faster than conventional Mekanism ore doubling. Is that not a thing? I didn't review all the Mekanism machines. My favorite digital miner is not there though. :(

What I was thinking was instead of setting up a full bank of casting basins, I'd just set up one and pipe it to a chest. I was going to see this weekend how well the new Tinkers Construct handles redstone signal for that. I thought there was supposed to be a way for the basin to emit a signal when it empties that can be rerouted to the faucet so it will just pump, pump, pump. I never managed to get that work. I always needed something like a timer to strobe the faucet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Have you used a hopper directly underneath a casting basin and using its signal instead?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Or an enderio fluiduct set to draw from the drain into the basin, perhaps with a fluid filter (if that works). Also, Mekanism digital miner is in 1.10.2; it has a new model though so maybe you didn't recognize it?

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Are there any exploration based modpacks I could try my hand at for inspiration for my own modpack? Finding secrets on the Blightfall map was pretty fun for me and I'd love to see if I could find something with that kind of feeling...Which most likely means the modpack needs it's own custom map...something a lot of modpacks certainly don't have.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

So I'm pretty sure 1.10.2 TiCon only gives you half a block worth of liquid obsidian for one bucket of water and lava.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So is there supposed to be something more to playing modded minecraft now that just starting curse, telling it to install a pack, hitting play, and then starting it from the actual minecraft launcher that pop up? Because that's what I did and I guess it's crashing whenever I try and start the game, but I can't find any error logs anywhere so who the gently caress knows.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Steelion posted:

So is there supposed to be something more to playing modded minecraft now that just starting curse, telling it to install a pack, hitting play, and then starting it from the actual minecraft launcher that pop up? Because that's what I did and I guess it's crashing whenever I try and start the game, but I can't find any error logs anywhere so who the gently caress knows.

That's pretty much what I do for custom packs I make with Curse. I do usually change the modpack (click the modpack, not "Play", then click the elipses (...) at the top-right and select Profile Options, unselect System Memory and give it 2-4G, depending on the size of the modpack (4G for kitchen-sink ones).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

So I'm pretty sure 1.10.2 TiCon only gives you half a block worth of liquid obsidian for one bucket of water and lava.

So instead of doubling it's halving! PROGRESS???

Also can anyone tell me why anyone would ever bother getting a D-O-B bee? My thaumonomicon in InfiTech2 describes it as the "ultimate bee" but looking at what the comb gives you I really don't agree with that evaluation. I guess it's an infinite source of oil?

Edit: Oh god the D-O-B Comb is showing different results now. I think NEI just doesn't show all the possible drops from the comb and settles for an arbitrary selection. Or maybe the comb produces different materials based on the current date?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 27, 2016

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

McFrugal posted:

So instead of doubling it's halving! PROGRESS???
I wouldn't even mind if it was a 1:1 process of making Obsidian, but halving it just seems to poo poo all over using a smelter to make Obsidian. It's almost like the dev is trying to make people use other mods.

Unrelated, what are the highest capacity RF cables in 1.10.2 at the moment? EnderIO's 20Krf/t is pretty woeful in even mid-game power gen terms.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

I wouldn't even mind if it was a 1:1 process of making Obsidian, but halving it just seems to poo poo all over using a smelter to make Obsidian. It's almost like the dev is trying to make people use other mods.

Unrelated, what are the highest capacity RF cables in 1.10.2 at the moment? EnderIO's 20Krf/t is pretty woeful in even mid-game power gen terms.

Mekanism's ultimate cables are probably better than that, but I don't remember offhand because their documentation is in MJ. And then there's entangloporters.

I wasn't in game to check myself, ehe.
VVVVV

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 27, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here's a little something interesting regarding Mekanism and power display. If one clicks the power tab to the lower left of any machine GUI, it toggles among MJ, RF and a couple others. If one changes it to RF, all the former MJ mouseovers for anything Mekanism including JEI become RF until ones next relog. By doing this, one can discover that the Ultimate Universal Cable can transfer up to 128,000 RF/t.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Here's a little something interesting regarding Mekanism and power display. If one clicks the power tab to the lower left of any machine GUI, it toggles among MJ, RF and a couple others. If one changes it to RF, all the former MJ mouseovers for anything Mekanism including JEI become RF until ones next relog. By doing this, one can discover that the Ultimate Universal Cable can transfer up to 128,000 RF/t.

In configs/Mekanism.cfg, you can change

quote:

S:EnergyType=J
To

quote:

S:EnergyType=RF

To permanently set it. :)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A question about chunks, in 1.7.10 if it matters.

Inevitably after starting a bunch of tree/crops/pig/chicken/cow farms my game starts to lag a little. Especially after the tree farm with its large amount of block updates.

Would it be better to throw all my automated farms in the spawn chunks or layered at my base which is also chunk loaded?
Or does it not matter either way, because as long as the chunks are loaded it will be lagging me out?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

A question about chunks, in 1.7.10 if it matters.

Inevitably after starting a bunch of tree/crops/pig/chicken/cow farms my game starts to lag a little. Especially after the tree farm with its large amount of block updates.

Would it be better to throw all my automated farms in the spawn chunks or layered at my base which is also chunk loaded?
Or does it not matter either way, because as long as the chunks are loaded it will be lagging me out?

FPS lag is a thing, so by putting the farms away from your base, you will be eliminating that, at least.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

SO someone did a Big Reactors port to 1.10.2, https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/250277-extreme-reactors#t1:description

So far it's a near "1:1" port, but with no cyanite processor and it looks like the dev will be changing it in the future. It also now has a dependency on ZeroCore.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man i've never stuck with a game of TFC long enough but i finally did it, red steel

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They missed a chance for making a stupid pun and calling it Blue Steel instead. 6/10

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sage Grimm posted:

They missed a chance for making a stupid pun and calling it Blue Steel instead. 6/10

that's the next tier. red steel buckets can move source blocks of water, blue steel for lava

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

Or an enderio fluiduct set to draw from the drain into the basin, perhaps with a fluid filter (if that works). Also, Mekanism digital miner is in 1.10.2; it has a new model though so maybe you didn't recognize it?

It looks like the pack I started from for messing around had it disabled. It was easy to fix.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Magmarashi posted:

Not that it excuses whatever is going on with the memory leaking fast and getting frequently garbage collected, but All The Mods seems to require more than 4gb to run smoothly. It doesn't stutter constantly with 6gb allocated.

On that subject, is there a reason why curse voice insists on overwriting the Minecraft launcher's profile (especially the launch arguments) every time you launch a pack? It probably wouldn't bother me as much if curse wasn't limited to 6gb arbitrarily in its own profile UI.

e: Is there a garbage collection argument that works better than the default behavior?

General Specific fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 28, 2016

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

General Specific posted:

Not that it excuses whatever is going on with the memory leaking fast and getting frequently garbage collected, but All The Mods seems to require more than 4gb to run smoothly. It doesn't stutter constantly with 6gb allocated.

You need to offload some of the strain by running a server on your PC (or a spare if you're feeling fancy) and connecting to it. It's pretty simple -- you can find the All the Mods server files here by clicking the "+ 1 more" button next to the version you're running. Fixed the stuttering for me without having to remove any mods, and I specifically have 4g allocated to the client.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

You need to offload some of the strain by running a server on your PC (or a spare if you're feeling fancy) and connecting to it. It's pretty simple -- you can find the All the Mods server files here by clicking the "+ 1 more" button next to the version you're running. Fixed the stuttering for me without having to remove any mods, and I specifically have 4g allocated to the client.

The stuttering is happening while connected to a friend's server. This pack actually ran fine for me in single player.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I'm getting back into playing Minecraft, and I've been dicking around with a few of the mod packs. Is it just me, or are some of the mechanics for some mods just bullshit? I'm looking at you, Applied Energistics 2.

Hours to double your crystals? Check.
Reliance on rare ore to get started? Check.
Bullshit run around and try to find the chunk this meteorite is in so you can make the cool stuff? Multiple times? Check.

At least I can use storage drawers with it for cheap, if bulky, mass storage.

Is there something else to use that gives me autocrafting beyond pulverize -> smelt for ore doubling?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TwystNeko posted:

Is there something else to use that gives me autocrafting beyond pulverize -> smelt for ore doubling?
I'm not sure what you asked. Are you talking about 2x+ ore processing or autocrafting?

Mekanism has alternatives, but the 2x process is basically just like pulverizing and smelting. On the other hand, it is just a little more effort to turn that into ore tripling. The Tinkers' Construct smeltery will do ore doubling from rather basic materials.

The ore issue is a matter of configuration. IMO the base rates are indeed kind of crappy. The trick is to get into an automated mining setup and not bother hunting for the crap. I'm usually doing automated mining before I have much of anything going on with AE2.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TwystNeko posted:

So I'm getting back into playing Minecraft, and I've been dicking around with a few of the mod packs. Is it just me, or are some of the mechanics for some mods just bullshit? I'm looking at you, Applied Energistics 2.

Hours to double your crystals? Check.
Reliance on rare ore to get started? Check.
Bullshit run around and try to find the chunk this meteorite is in so you can make the cool stuff? Multiple times? Check.

At least I can use storage drawers with it for cheap, if bulky, mass storage.

1. Build 4 Crystal Growth Accelerators.
2. Build a Charger.
3. Build a Meteorite Compass. If you have TiC, get yourself a writable Cobalt or Shiny Metal Hammer and a glove and pump them full of redstone.

None of these things are expensive. You need a grand total of one Charged Certus Quartz to get started.

Also, I just noticed that ExtraTiC in 1.7.10 just got a rebalance. No more super-powerful Signalum picks or Enderium hammers. At least the changes aren't retroactive.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
well, I guess I'm talking about automation. I do like how AE2 does it, as it can leverage my existing machines. It's just getting to that point that's huge levels of "filler" makework. When you literally have to get lucky and find a Charged Certus Ore block to even get started, it's frustrating. The meteorite thing too - I had a world that I couldn't find even one, and just ended up cheating in the stupid inscriber plates. I spent probably an hour just running around with a compass.

There's a few other mods that are like that - EE3 for one, but that just requires stupid amounts of diamonds, so it's not THAT bad.

Edit: also, the pack I'm using doesn't seem to have TiC. What's a good, semi-inclusive mod that has these things? Or do I just go to curse and add everything and make my own pack? I guess I'd want AE2, Mekanism, TiC for starters..

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 28, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TwystNeko posted:

well, I guess I'm talking about automation. I do like how AE2 does it, as it can leverage my existing machines. It's just getting to that point that's huge levels of "filler" makework. When you literally have to get lucky and find a Charged Certus Ore block to even get started, it's frustrating. The meteorite thing too - I had a world that I couldn't find even one, and just ended up cheating in the stupid inscriber plates. I spent probably an hour just running around with a compass.

There's a few other mods that are like that - EE3 for one, but that just requires stupid amounts of diamonds, so it's not THAT bad.

Edit: also, the pack I'm using doesn't seem to have TiC. What's a good, semi-inclusive mod that has these things? Or do I just go to curse and add everything and make my own pack? I guess I'd want AE2, Mekanism, TiC for starters..

Modderation: Permabanned and Modderation: FYAD Edition are goon-made kitchen sink packs where you can pretty well try out most of the notable mods and see which you like and which you don't. Project E is the modern EE and included, as is TiC and Mekanism and AE2.

Also a lot of your ore/crystal/etc problems will go away quickly once you can whip up a TiC Hammer with a Steel head. There's better materials but steel's an easy one to beeline to and very strong (can mine diamond/cobalt) while still ultimately relying on mats you can mass produce for cheap repairs. Modpacks vary in how hard Steel is to get (which is why the otherwise inferior Alumite exists as an option) but in the Modderation: Permabanned steel can be made with a TE3 Induction Smelter and Pulverizer.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

chairface posted:

Modderation: Permabanned and Modderation: FYAD Edition are goon-made kitchen sink packs where you can pretty well try out most of the notable mods and see which you like and which you don't. Project E is the modern EE and included, as is TiC and Mekanism and AE2.

Also a lot of your ore/crystal/etc problems will go away quickly once you can whip up a TiC Hammer with a Steel head. There's better materials but steel's an easy one to beeline to and very strong (can mine diamond/cobalt) while still ultimately relying on mats you can mass produce for cheap repairs. Modpacks vary in how hard Steel is to get (which is why the otherwise inferior Alumite exists as an option) but in the Modderation: Permabanned steel can be made with a TE3 Induction Smelter and Pulverizer.

Modderation: Permabanned and Modderation: FYAD Edition in case you want it. :)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So do Quantum Entangleporters only work with MJ and Mekanism cables?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edminster posted:

that's the next tier. red steel buckets can move source blocks of water, blue steel for lava

They're the same tier. Once you make an anvil of either color, you don't need another one, and either color can be made after you have black steel.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I also have major issues using Mekanism cables on anything outside of Mekanism that generators RF, as in doesn't work. It'll connect, but no power flows.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I need some advice.

I'm going to be hosting a medium population server for subscribers to a Twitch channel and am looking for a pack to put on it. We started with Hexxit and while people liked it, it was very outdated and didn't give the kind of control over the server I needed. So, I'm on the hunt for a new pack...

The pack I'm looking for needs to be easy to install. It also must keep vanilla minecraft intact for people who aren't really interested in modding. It also needs to run on 1.7 or later. The people liked the exploration and adventuring aspect of Hexxit, but some people wanted some tech in there as well. It needs to have long legs so we don't have to reset every couple weeks, as people are going to be joining throughout the life of the server.

I'm not too worried about griefing as it will have moderators on it, though if you can suggest a mod that can help fix accidental griefs (oops I blew up the reactor under your base) that'd be helpful.

Thanks for helping in advance!!

Edit: We were looking at Blightfall but are afraid it doesn't have the longevity that we're looking for, and it may not support the 20-30 people that we expect to have.

Fizzle fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 29, 2016

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Welp, I downloaded modderation via the Technic launcher, and it crashes every time. I've tried older versions, I've updated java, and I've even deleted and reinstalled it. Here's the crash log, if it'll help figure this out: http://hastebin.com/ezoyixabip.coffee - looks like it's something with ProjectRed?

Edit: figured it out - Updated java was only 32-bit, so it basically ran out of memory.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 29, 2016

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Fizzle posted:

I need some advice.

I'm going to be hosting a medium population server for subscribers to a Twitch channel and am looking for a pack to put on it. We started with Hexxit and while people liked it, it was very outdated and didn't give the kind of control over the server I needed. So, I'm on the hunt for a new pack...

The pack I'm looking for needs to be easy to install. It also must keep vanilla minecraft intact for people who aren't really interested in modding. It also needs to run on 1.7 or later. The people liked the exploration and adventuring aspect of Hexxit, but some people wanted some tech in there as well. It needs to have long legs so we don't have to reset every couple weeks, as people are going to be joining throughout the life of the server.

I'm not too worried about griefing as it will have moderators on it, though if you can suggest a mod that can help fix accidental griefs (oops I blew up the reactor under your base) that'd be helpful.

Thanks for helping in advance!!

Edit: We were looking at Blightfall but are afraid it doesn't have the longevity that we're looking for, and it may not support the 20-30 people that we expect to have.

Would FTB Infinity Evolved be what you want? There might be some extra structures in the world due to the mods but otherwise it does sound like what you'd like....Just don't turn on Expert Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Solid Poopsnake posted:

CrazyTolradi posted:

I also have major issues using Mekanism cables on anything outside of Mekanism that generators RF, as in doesn't work. It'll connect, but no power flows.

Do you have the latest version of Mekanism? I have my Entangloporters directly attached to an EnderIO Capacitor Bank to send power to my machines (either by directly touching, using EnderIO power conduits, or Galacticraft aluminium wires) and haven't had any issues with it transmitting power. I'm on 1.7.10, and have the latest v9.1 for it.

I also just did a test connecting Elite universal cables to my Galacticraft stuff to power them and it also worked fine.