Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

killstealing posted:

how much do you love nekomimi cliffyb?

More than his gamer wife, 1337 Lauren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Could I get an invite back to the guild? ChargingFist should work.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

devoir posted:

Could I get an invite back to the guild? ChargingFist should work.

Done!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Can I also get one? Ingame name is Zadiel.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody else have hell with that laser shooting bitch boss in Torture Chamber? Only time ive died in like 10 levels and im pretty upset. Funman: when are you getting on again? We have a transaction to complete.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i usually just trade up torture chambers

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Shock and Horror can be a bitch depending on your build. The laser does a ton of DoT damage and she lays down shocking ground to boot. If you see the beam, get a pillar between you and her ASAP or you're dead.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
shock and horror is easiest if you can vapourize her fast enough that she doesn't have time to get her laser out

otherwise, time spent dodging behind a pillar is time in which she summons more warp totems, which then warp around and create more shocked ground, or simultaneously warp onto you when you poke your nose out behind your pillar

it's kind of nasty with builds that are only managing yellow maps through generous sustain/leech

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Time to figure out a build for Atlas! Something high dps, and much more fun to play than dropping totems and running around while totems kill stuff. I'll ultimately have way more time to get into the actual endgame instead of deciding to call it like 7 days before the league ends, so something suited for that. Also, there isn't really a drawback to playing hardcore, is there? If you die, the char just moves into the softcore ver of that league with no REAL consequences, right? Maybe it would be worth it to try hardcore, seeing as how I didn't die until merciless on my first char knowing very little about the game.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Also, there isn't really a drawback to playing hardcore, is there? If you die, the char just moves into the softcore ver of that league with no REAL consequences, right?

Nope. If you die in league hardcore, you move to permanent softcore, not league softcore.

As for build, Poison Earthquake Juggernaut. Pretty hard to screw up.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 28, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

whypick1 posted:

Nope. If you die in league hardcore, you move to permanent softcore, not league softcore.

As for build, Poison Earthquake Juggernaut. Pretty hard to screw up.

Hmm. maybe i'll wait one more league before attempting an HC run. I definitely don't have what it takes to be anywhere near the top of the pack in terms of game knowledge yet, and I would be skeptical against most of the end game stuff that I haven't actually fought yet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Will EQ take a big hit from the loss of Voidheart in Atlas?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Hmm. maybe i'll wait one more league before attempting an HC run. I definitely don't have what it takes to be anywhere near the top of the pack in terms of game knowledge yet, and I would be skeptical against most of the end game stuff that I haven't actually fought yet.

Just go for it man you're gonna die to some bullshit in normal anyway just get used to it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

I recommend just going for it, you learn faster if you have to learn than if you can just portal-rush poo poo. This obviously involves being OK with having to make new chars all the time though, but that makes you much faster at leveling!

Lungboy posted:

Prophechy is in the core game in atlas, so while it will be rarer it will probably be available if you earn enough currency. Having said that, EQ is broken as poo poo on its own so you dont need void heart if you build properly and get good gear.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lungboy posted:

Jebquake (i.e. EQ Juggernaut with Poison) was top tier in Perandus

the biggest hits are probbaly direct nerfs to EQ/Poison

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im eq but not poison. Beside voidheart do i need to pick dot nodes? Otlr just voidheart / atziri / gloves with enchant?

d64
Jan 15, 2003
I've been unable to play for the summer and now it seems I've been purged from the guild, can I get another invite? Character name "Iabego". Thanks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically, there are two ways to scale physical damage using your mana reservation.

One is to cast a vulnerability aura around you with Blasphemy, and use poison. Vuln deals 29% "more" damage to mobs, and poison naturally deals 20% more damage as a DoT. Vuln also double-dips on the DoT by +33%. So this combination, effectively deals 1.29 + (0.2 x 1.29 x 1.33) = 1.63, meaning you deal 63% more damage (and this is a pure multiplier on top of all your natural physical scaling. Unfortunately, if the map is hexproof, you effectively only deal the extra damage from the poison, without the vuln effect.

Scaling with elemental means casting a hatred and herald of ash aura around you, and possibly adding an added fire support gem. And if you're super rich and have a 6-link, a weapon elemental damage support gem. Hatred is +36% added, HoA is +15% added, added fire support is +44% added, which adds up to +95% more damage as elemental damage (on top of all your physical scaling). But you may as well cut that in half , or even a quarter, because endgame mobs (and especially rares) have high amounts of elemental resistance.

So in general, scaling using poison deals tends to be better at single target damage, while scaling using elemental is somewhat better at trash clear. But trash is trash, it is not something to be concerned about. You can still 1-shot soft packs with just DoT scaling, while harder ones (golems, bears, revenants) take a few hits.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 28, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

And if you're super rich and have a 6-link, a weapon elemental damage support gem.
I'm triggering. WED is better than added fire in almost every case.

Phobophilia posted:

So in general, scaling using poison deals tends to be better at single target damage, while scaling using elemental is somewhat better at trash clear. But trash is trash, it is not something to be concerned about. You can still 1-shot soft packs with just DoT scaling, while harder ones (golems, bears, revenants) take a few hits.

You're completely ignoring elemental status effects, which are huge for utility, defense and dps. You're also equating instant damage with damage over time, which is rather disingenuous.

E: And you're ignoring poo poo like taste of hate and vinktars.
E2: Trash is something to be concerned about. The absolute majority of your time spent in maps is spent killing trash. As long as you can kill the final boss comfortably, trash is the thing to optimize.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 28, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
WED is +59% more elemental damage. Hatred + HoA is 59% more. so 1 + ((0.15 + 0.36) x 1.59) = 1.81. With Added Fire Support, it's 1 + 0.15 + 0.36 + 0.44 = 1.95.

If you were using an elemental conversion skill, then yeah, WED would be more valuable.

And for the purpose RT earthquake, you're not freezing/shocking anything. My point is that both scaling methods have their uses. Ele scaling is more old fashioned, DoT scaling got a big boost from 2.1 onwards, and an even bigger boost with 2.3's voidheart. Earthquake is not dead just because voidheart is gone. Having played both types in different leagues, DoT EQ means you hit, run away, and most likely the mob will be dead after you've run across the screen. Upfront EQ means you just hit and they die and you run away.

An comparison of DoT and upfront damage is most relevant for killing rares/uniques,

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

And for the purpose RT earthquake, you're not freezing/shocking anything.

You freeze quite a lot, actually. But what you do more than a lot is chill. Also, there's extremely few cases where HoA and Hatred are literally your only source of elemental damage, so my original statement "WED is better than added fire in almost every case." is correct. On top of that fire is by far the "worst" elemental type due to its status effect, so even in a case where the numbers were about even or even slightly better for added fire, WED would be preferable since it scales the "better" damage types aswell.

Phobophilia posted:

DoT EQ means you hit, run away, and most likely the mob will be dead after you've run across the screen.

The problem with this is that time literally stops for the mob if you move like 2 screens away from it.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 28, 2016

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Rodent, what build are you starting out with in AoW? I can't choose, I might just do BV pathfinder again

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

802.11weed posted:

Rodent, what build are you starting out with in AoW? I can't choose, I might just do BV pathfinder again

I've been telling a few people lately that I really dont recommend going pathfinder as a first build, as I feel it requires too much investment to really shine.

As for my build, I'm going some form of firestorm. Here are the four options I've worked out so far, that may change depending on patch notes:

http://poeurl.com/JUj - MoM Berserker
Pledge of hands + kaoms heart + blood dance
Firestorm->Controlled destruction->Elemental Focus->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe->Faster Casting
blashpemy temp chains

http://poeurl.com/JUm - Berserker
Pledge of hands + kaoms heart + blood dance
Firestorm->Controlled destruction->Elemental Focus->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe->Faster Casting
Some sort of aura/blasphemy setup

http://poeurl.com/JPD - Blood magic Chieftain
blood dance + doons + rise of the phoenix
Firestorm->Spell echo->Controlled destruction->Iron will->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe
no auras

http://poeurl.com/JUk - Chieftain
kaoms heart + blood magic staff + blood dance
Firestorm->Spell echo->Controlled destruction->Iron will->Fire penetration->Increased Aoe
Some sort of aura/blasphemy setup

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Increased AoE over Concentrated AoE? Are swapping in Conc for boss fights?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Are swapping in Conc for boss fights?

Yes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I hate that wait for a new league to launch. 5 more days? Oy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

I hate that wait for a new league to launch. 5 more days? Oy.

At least post patch notes so I can spend my free time pointlessly theorycrafting new builds for the rest of the week only to audible into something completely different 3 minutes before the league start

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hauki posted:

At least post patch notes so I can spend my free time pointlessly theorycrafting new builds for the rest of the week only to audible into something completely different 3 minutes before the league start

this is my plan also

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That would be me except I won't be able to play until Wednesday so I'll get to see you guys gently caress up your first builds before I gently caress up mine.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I'm going pathfinder first character because I started playing video games with starcraft and warcraft 3 and if I am not constantly spamming thru my 1-5 hotkeys then I am physically uncomfortable.

Also, I think that pathfinder is more than sufficiently strong right now to not require massive investment to make the character endgame viable. I agree that it really shines when you can get taste/vinktars/rumis all going, but the pathfinder keystones themselves are extremely strong regardless of what your flask setup is (free poison, damage pen+added ele to phys, immunity to ailments+extra damage). Most importantly, normal flasks benefit hugely from having permanent uptime and bonus effect as well...stibnite, basalt, jade or granite, and the most relevant resist flask is easily enough to keep you pushing into the hardest content.

The most recent 48 hour shows that pretty much anything is viable, and while it DID encourage people to play something other than ele/slayer, pathfinders did perform especially well (position 5 and 7). This guy hit lvl 89, position 7 on the ladder, with no unique flasks (Character TRQQ).

I would tell anyone that wants to play a pathfinder to go ahead and start with one and enjoy playing a very strong class that they want to play. Unless you are trying to play the most efficient build possible and hit 100 first, I don't really see a reason to not pick pathfinder if that's something you enjoy or are inclined to do...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I plan to go ed/cont, farm and level a bit, then go pathfinder with unique flasks. Yeah it's strong enough to level without, but I wanted multiple chars anwyay

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ice trapper slingshotting into an earthquaker, probably slingshotting that into an EK CI pathfinder

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

ButtWolf posted:

Anybody else have hell with that laser shooting bitch boss in Torture Chamber? Only time ive died in like 10 levels and im pretty upset. Funman: when are you getting on again? We have a transaction to complete.

I'm taking a break until Thursday.

Apperanty patch notes are coming sometime Wednesday.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
So cast on cast looks pretty good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Don't forget the other one:

I wonder if I could get away with doing LL champion with this and with Aegis. Yes there's the reduced block, but it's not that hard to overcap by 30% especially if you take a bunch of Reckless Defence jewels. I need to sit down and see whether 200% increased global armor from LL champion would beat out the jugg's 100% more from the chest piece.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Basically I'm just fed up with my Assassin blast rain coc feeling super squishy last league even with 5.5k life, enfeeble, and an okay amount of evasion and am determined to feel comfortable in the end game this time.

edit: also, dropping charges felt absolutely awful and it took forever to get 7 charges back with only the Assassin talent. Of course, this would have been fixed by skyforth's...

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 28, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Basically I'm just fed up with my Assassin blast rain coc feeling super squishy last league even with 5.5k life, enfeeble, and an okay amount of evasion and am determined to feel comfortable in the end game this time.

Haaaaaaave you met my marauder builds?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

TheRat posted:

Haaaaaaave you met my marauder builds?

Oh and I'm also addicted to snowflake gimmicks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Then I am no longer your man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

WELP

• Locked thread