Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'll continue to follow the "give your dog treats always unless" rules. Perhaps if she took the corn cob to a safe space. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
no one gives a poo poo about using corrections if you dont use them like a complete loving retard h t h

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I'll continue to follow the "give your dog treats always unless" rules. Perhaps if she took the corn cob to a safe space. God bless.

Nah just shoot it with a taser and post us vids

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

well if you really want your dog to develop an intestinal obstruction, require expensive surgery, and then very possibly die, go for it

Herr Zwiebel
Apr 25, 2009

Worry Not,
Wonder Not.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I went full in and took it from her mouth. She snapped at my finger, bit it, drew blood. I absorbed it, got right in her face.

I know modern dog training is "give your dog treats all the time and they'll have no choice but to be good", but I put her right on her back and pressed my face right into her eyes.

My name is FogHelmut and I hate having a face. I tried to bury my nose in a waffle iron but I forgot to turn it on, so that only left mild bruising. Today I will try getting a dog overstimulated, engage it in a power struggle, wait for it to draw blood and then offer it my delicious cheek meat in the hopes that it will help me reach faceless perfection. I will also abosorb that. I will OWN that. My name is FogHelmut, and I electrocute dogs to get them chill enough to be around my baby, unless they eat my face.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:ohdear: dont offer up your delicious cheek meat

poo poo this one is almost worth a :siren: shittypost sportscenter replay :siren:

I'm George Fleshface and this is shittypost sportcenter brought to you by skin bracer "the he-man aroma that wows the ladies" :pervert:

lets jump right into this

Player Foghelmut of the new york numpty's knew the dog owning for dipshits thread needs and demands quality content and his proven track record of success is demonstrated in this breathtaking display of mental and verbal agility.

Watch this play again in slow motion. watch this magnificent dodge around all the important facts

TAKING IT TO THE HOLE!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
wont you take me to

electrocution town

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Foghelmut what if the baby doesn't come in two months? What if it sees your face upon sliding out and goes "haha I don't want a retard for a dad" in the queen's english, grabs it's little briefcase from your wife's hoodilydoodily parts and hits the road? What will you do when your dog can't absorb your tears because it's a jolteon now?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

FogHelmut posted:

Dog showed food aggression. First time in her life. I've always taken things from her, given back, all that no problems. I think she was overstimulated. We were at a BBQ at my sister in law's with the other dogs and all the family. She was hyped up the whole time. She grabbed an eaten corn cob from the trash. I chased her down and grabbed it. She growled. I was taken aback. I went full in and took it from her mouth. She snapped at my finger, bit it, drew blood. I absorbed it, got right in her face.

I know modern dog training is "give your dog treats all the time and they'll have no choice but to be good", but I put her right on her back and pressed my face right into her eyes.

I got a baby coming in two months. She does any type of aggression again, I'm getting the shock collar and we are in full electrocution town.

You sure showed all those cookie-waving "dog trainers" who the man is around here. No one is going to think you have a small dick when you're hurting your dog out of anger instead of following the simplest training protocol in the universe, that's for sure.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mike Vick was right.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

next time you beat on your dog you should really pay attention and learn from how she rolls with the punches, you could use some pointers

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

Mike Vick was right.

dont mean to dog:haw:pile on you man but you pretty much did everything wrong for that situation. a hyperstimulated pup surrounded by excitement can totally act out and instead of turning it into a positive socialization experience you just challenged the drat dog when its reacting to a whole shitton of stuff. just seemed like you didnt understand how you hosed up rather than the dog was being a dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Mike Vick was right.

Mike Vick/FogHelmut 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cool I'll go back to giving my dog treats when she's sitting there doing nothing (positive reinforcement) and ignoring her when she's running around with a corn cob in her mouth (passive corrections) and forget about the one time I made her feel shame for biting my finger.

Let's run down the full list of commands she regularly obeys but chose the corncob over:

"Drop it."
*nope I got a corn cob*
"Come here"
*runs over, look at my corncob it's good*
"Drop it and I'll give you this treat."
*nah I'll keep the corn cob*
"Give me the corncob." as I place my hand on it
*growls*
"Don't you growl at me." (This is where I'm about to get bit, which I ignored because she's never growled once in her life.)
"I'll just pull this corncob from your mouth."
*lets go of the corncob and nips my finger*
"Get ahold of yourself you're hysterical." (This is where I put her on her back and asked her to calm down and feel shame for biting me)
*dog follows me back to the table where I sit and she sits down next to me*

Pet Island interpretation:
*dog is happily eating a potential bowel obstruction and should be praised*
*owner takes her to the rape stand and begins interrogations with waterboarding and improvised lamp cord electric shocks*

Please excuse my late night angrypost. As-salamu alaykum

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sell her rape puppies for $500 each at least so you can pay for your retard baby instead of welfare paying for it.

Trump 2016

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My dog had a bladder stone removed four days ago, and the vet told me that on the fourth day she no longer has to be on lockdown mode and can do her normal run and jumps. This seems weird to me because her stitches won't come out for another ten days. Would I be too cautious keeping her penned for ten more days?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hatty posted:

My dog had a bladder stone removed four days ago, and the vet told me that on the fourth day she no longer has to be on lockdown mode and can do her normal run and jumps. This seems weird to me because her stitches won't come out for another ten days. Would I be too cautious keeping her penned for ten more days?

My dog just had a bean bag full of bladder stones removed and I was told not to let him off leash (him, the staggery old 11 year old great dane who doesn't even really trot anymore unless something REALLY riles him up) for the whole 14 days the staples were in. I sure as hell wouldn't let a spry, energetic dog with staples or stitches in go run amok until they were out.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

FogHelmut posted:

Cool I'll go back to giving my dog treats when she's sitting there doing nothing (positive reinforcement) and ignoring her when she's running around with a corn cob in her mouth (passive corrections) and forget about the one time I made her feel shame for biting my finger.

Let's run down the full list of commands she regularly obeys but chose the corncob over:

"Drop it."
*nope I got a corn cob*
"Come here"
*growls*
"Don't you growl at me." (This is where I'm about to get bit, which I ignored because she's never growled once in her life.)
"Get ahold of yourself you're hysterical." (This is where I put her on her back and asked her to calm down and feel shame for biting me)

*owner takes her to the rape stand and begins interrogations with waterboarding and improvised lamp cord electric shocks*

your dog is a dog. she doesn't feel shame. what you did was teach her that next time she should either be sneakier or escalate faster since you coming near her when she steals something = bad things. namaste.

Herr Zwiebel
Apr 25, 2009

Worry Not,
Wonder Not.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

"Drop it."
*nope I got a corn cob*
"Come here"
*growls*

If your dog growls at you it is not the time for confrontation (Might get you hurt) or punishment (might suppress the warning growl, not the underlying conflict, causing you or others to get hurt). the problem is not the electric collar, the problem is that you have no idea how to interact with you dog in a safe and productive manner using treats and thus should not use positive punishment methods because you'll gently caress it up and end up with a shut down rage filled murder muppet.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

FogHelmut posted:

"Drop it."
*nope I got a corn cob*
"Come here"
*growls*

look. a number of us here use corrections with our dogs but your post is a perfect illustration of why we don't ever recommend using them to idiot baby dog owners. no one gives a poo poo if you use an ecollar with your dog correctly. when properly utilized, an ecollar is the most precise way to correct your dog by a long shot and a skilled trainer can use them with incredibly finesse. however novice dog owners tend to have issues even utilizing positive reinforcement correctly because they lack the skill, timing, and understanding of dog behavior - for example not being able to teach your dog a solid 'leave it' and thinking alpha rolling is a good way to deal with poor behavior :v: If you can't do +R training well and you have little understanding of dog behavior (both of these apply to you btw), you sure as poo poo can't use corrections well because they require a level of emotional detachment and precision that novices lack.

What ends up happening when novices jump straight into corrections is precisely what you did in your post. Instead of thoughtfully applying a brief correction with the intensity appropriate to the offense, you have a gay little meltdown and hulk out at her. You weren't correcting your dog, you were taking your frustration out on her and all you taught her is that you're a bully.

basically - if you're stupid enough to think alpha rolling your dog is a good way to correct her, you're definitely too stupid to use an ecollar correctly. your dog didn't drop the corncob because you didn't train or proof 'leave it' correctly so next time maybe try acting like a grownup instead of taking your failings as a trainer out on her.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I pretend to eat my dog's food all the time like a stupid dog owner idiot. I get on my hands and knees and making slurping and crunching noises over her bowl and various bones. Then when she patiently indulges me I give her delicious turkey jerky.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I mean sometimes I take a sledgehammer to my dog's nutsack so he learns himself a lesson or two but me personally I don't like e-collars.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wheats posted:

your dog is a dog. she doesn't feel shame. what you did was teach her that next time she should either be sneakier or escalate faster since you coming near her when she steals something = bad things. namaste.

Thank you.

Herr Zwiebel posted:

If your dog growls at you it is not the time for confrontation (Might get you hurt) or punishment (might suppress the warning growl, not the underlying conflict, causing you or others to get hurt). the problem is not the electric collar, the problem is that you have no idea how to interact with you dog in a safe and productive manner using treats and thus should not use positive punishment methods because you'll gently caress it up and end up with a shut down rage filled murder muppet.

Thank you

Ausrotten posted:

look. a number of us here use corrections with our dogs but your post is a perfect illustration of why we don't ever recommend using them to idiot baby dog owners. no one gives a poo poo if you use an ecollar with your dog correctly. when properly utilized, an ecollar is the most precise way to correct your dog by a long shot and a skilled trainer can use them with incredibly finesse. however novice dog owners tend to have issues even utilizing positive reinforcement correctly because they lack the skill, timing, and understanding of dog behavior - for example not being able to teach your dog a solid 'leave it' and thinking alpha rolling is a good way to deal with poor behavior :v: If you can't do +R training well and you have little understanding of dog behavior (both of these apply to you btw), you sure as poo poo can't use corrections well because they require a level of emotional detachment and precision that novices lack.

What ends up happening when novices jump straight into corrections is precisely what you did in your post. Instead of thoughtfully applying a brief correction with the intensity appropriate to the offense, you have a gay little meltdown and hulk out at her. You weren't correcting your dog, you were taking your frustration out on her and all you taught her is that you're a bully.

basically - if you're stupid enough to think alpha rolling your dog is a good way to correct her, you're definitely too stupid to use an ecollar correctly. your dog didn't drop the corncob because you didn't train or proof 'leave it' correctly so next time maybe try acting like a grownup instead of taking your failings as a trainer out on her.

Cool, please use your own advice of positivity when speaking to humans as well as dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I mean sometimes I take a sledgehammer to my dog's nutsack so he learns himself a lesson or two but me personally I don't like e-collars.

Have you considered praising your dog when it doesn't have stones, perhaps it will learn being healthy is good behavior and not develop them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

No I just want to hit things with a sledgehammer. I upgraded from my gbs days.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
i don't praise humans or dogs when their behavior warrants a correction

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
while i will always describe ausrotten as a "giant throbbing dick" regardless of actual sex, she is rarely wrong when it comes to dogs. dont be too touchy, honestly I dont want anyone or any animal hurt because of dipshittery or at least for myself anyways. think of it as ill-tempered love by like a distracted alcoholic uncle who just ran out of booze.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I let my dogs Alpha Roll me, but that is only to let them know who really is in charge it's them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
all 4 puppies got bathed yesterday without lasting psychological damage :kimchi:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

FogHelmut posted:

"Drop it."
*nope I got a corn cob*
"Come here"
*growls*

what really happened is that people are sick of you being terrible at doing any kind of training with your dog and then screaming about it as if you know gently caress all. dogs don't feel shame and the fact that you don't have the awareness to even be like "maybe I shouldn't tell the people telling me my head is so far up my own rear end I can see daylight again" idk man.

have fun screaming at a toddler in two years i guess

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

u can put me in a shock collar, daddy.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

wtftastic posted:

what really happened is that people are sick of you being terrible at doing any kind of training with your dog and then screaming about it as if you know gently caress all. dogs don't feel shame and the fact that you don't have the awareness to even be like "maybe I shouldn't tell the people telling me my head is so far up my own rear end I can see daylight again" idk man.

maybe when the toddler reacts poorly to having something taken away from it he'll hulk out and e-collar it

like, i have a spectacularly not food aggressive or possessive dog, and even he gets grumbly when i try to take something really high value away from him, so i know to either
a) make sure that he can't access this item in the first place, and if it's something that could be dangerous for him (like a corn cob), that it's disposed of or kept somewhere that he can't get to it
or
b) make sure that i have something on hand of a similar value or distraction level to swap out for it, like, say, getting him really goddamn amped up about a favourite toy or something

this is super basic common sense stuff, but, hey, if you're that into flipping out like that about a behaviour that you will absolutely run into with your future offspring, you do you

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wtftastic posted:

Cool, my normally well behaved dog displayed abnormal behavior one time and I reacted poorly shows constant lack of training by me to the point that people in the thread are sick of me. Forgot this thread is for professional dog owners only where no mistakes are tolerated.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Cool, my normally well behaved dog displayed abnormal behavior one time and I reacted poorly shows constant lack of training by me to the point that people in the thread are sick of me. Forgot this thread is for professional dog owners only where no mistakes are tolerated.

What did you expect when posting about a 'mistake' like that here lmao. "Hey I lost my poo poo and this is what I did, I plan to also do this lovely thing if it happens again." "Ok cool" ?

People don't give a poo poo if you want to correct your dog but you literally alpha rolled her and seemed to think it was a productive thing to do. Dogs don't feel shame and forcing a dog onto its back is just going to make it mad. Flipping a dog over isn't ever going to make if feel 'submissive' or calm in any way. You understand that a growl is a warning before a bite, got a nip, and still shoved your soft valuable facemeat right up to her teeth.
Like Ausrotten said; ecollars can be great tools but I don't think you're going to get anywhere with one because they kinda need to be used with a clear head and good understanding of dog behaviour, not with impulse flashes of anger. Ecollars are pretty much a "hey" tool and not a stand-in "What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals" alpha dawg meltdown beating.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Y'all melt down pretty quick around here tbh.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Agreed. Saw 30+ new posts, knew it was a meltdown.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

goon-in-a-well.txt

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Half the time I come in this thread its like I walked in on someone getting mugged.

When I see 30-40 posts in a single day, I stop by to read the newbie question and the bloody carnage that ensues.

On a separate note, we were out of the country for 2 weeks and my dog was boarded at our favorite place. He's been sleeping the majority of both days since we've been home. He's a 1 year old vizsla, the boarder has 2 Vizslas of her own and a 6 month weimaraner puppy. Plus his best friend (a 9 month weimaraner puppy) was also being boarded at the same time.

We went to the dog park early this morning since we're still jet lagged. He swam for 2 hours and ran for an hour straight. Easiest way to have a well behaved dog is to have a tired dog.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 29, 2016

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

or maybe the reaction is because you consistently disregard super basic advice and then come in here and whine about poo poo that could have been resolved had you paid attention to what we recommended in the first place?

i'm easily the least pro dog owner out of most of the people that are giving you poo poo and even i know better

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

FogHelmut posted:

make another Tales From Retail-esque post portraying yourself as the reasonable one in an argument with a literal dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well, I was going to talk about taking the beagle out on the river in the kayak, but you fellows seem occupied. But since I'm already here, anyone know any waterproof shock collars?