Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you combined all the good levels from the Souls series you would have a good game's worth of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would be a long game, that everyone would complain about.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

DS2 is the one where I use thrusting swords the most.

I think they have the best thrusting swords in any of the souls games in terms of damage. Even unoptimized for dex weapons, I do solid damage with the dark espada ropera I have on my char in SotFS. I was just bad at parrying in DS2 and didn't like that I couldn't power stance a sword and dagger (although, I think I remember using a power stance with the royal dirk/espada ropera). Just stuck to broadsword/shield and a handful of other weapons. Kept the ropera in my inventory though, since some people in pvp had trouble dealing with it. BB's cut and thrust reiterpallasch is the best of all the games though.

Vermain posted:

It's an okay game, but it's not the sort of game that should have been the climax of the series, nor should it have been the kind of game produced after From Software's been producing these sorts of games for years and years on end. It's not a refinement of the formula from before; it's reheated leftovers.

A bit harsh, but I agree. There are some really cool designs and clever decisions mixed in, but it really isn't sticking the landing on its final showing. However, after seeing how SotFS changed DS2, I'm actually excited for the DLC so I have been taking a break. Besides, if I need a souls fix I still have to beat NG++ Laurence in BB. That guy's a jerk and one shots me with a sneeze.

Just hard to find rpgs where fighting with a sword and shield isn't super boring, or where using a rapier means you're playing a thief-type of character (which is silly, given that rapiers really aren't the most stealthy, or light, weapons to use)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

DS2 is actually a bad game

hosed up but hell I can't deny it

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i'm looking forward to the saltyness from the next souls-like, Nioh, so people can stop complaining about this perfectly good and fine game.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ninkobei posted:

i'm looking forward to the saltyness from the next souls-like, Nioh, so people can stop complaining about this perfectly good and fine game.

Hold on, hold on, I've got the next logical stage to go from here once it's found out that wonky netcode, collision and balance issues, obscure NPC quests and intentionally vague and incoherent story bits were present in every game

The Souls series was never actually good

Hahaha

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Torquemadras posted:

Hold on, hold on, I've got the next logical stage to go from here once it's found out that wonky netcode, collision and balance issues, obscure NPC quests and intentionally vague and incoherent story bits were present in every game

Hahaha

It's looking like Nioh is going to be a lot better than everyone expected (and as I play through the demo I can kind of confirm that). So I'd expect to see a lot of "the sun has set on Souls" posts in the future, now that someone's learned to ape their formula competently and innovate in fun, new ways on top of it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Deified Data posted:

It's looking like Nioh is going to be a lot better than everyone expected (and as I play through the demo I can kind of confirm that). So I'd expect to see a lot of "the sun has set on Souls" posts in the future, now that someone's learned to ape their formula competently and innovate in fun, new ways on top of it.

I want to say someone tried that and it failed miserably, but I can't remember who it was.

Besides, I feel reasonably sure Team Ninja's more competent than they are.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The Surge looks like it's gonna be Fallout-Souls with fighting robots n poo poo so it's got that going for it.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
apparently this is what boss fights in nioh look like. yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBIHBaTkao

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Supremezero posted:

Besides, I feel reasonably sure Team Ninja's more competent than they are.

Aren't they the clowns that made Other M and Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ninkobei posted:

*posts video of Pinwheel*

Kind of a pointless discussion at this juncture.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
until it's fully polished and out and reviews well it's just another in the pile of shoddy souls clones. Console exclusive in 2016 though, :lol:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 28, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I'm looking forward to Nioh, but for various reasons I haven't played the demo. I'll get it nonetheless. Combat looks fun, but I don't really know how the game is regarding dungeon exploration/traps/hilarious ambushes etc. I noticed instances of enemies more or less spawning anywhere through demon portals, which always seemed to me like an especially lazy "shut up you fight now" approach to designing environments and encounters in it... Who knows, I'll get it even if it's "just" beefed-up Souls-like combat.

I enjoyed DS3 a lot (and, too a lesser degree, DS2 as well), but I'm gonna repeat the notion that I'm glad the series has ended now. Honestly, I think making sequels at all was a mistake. I would prefer different approaches with no (or tongue-in-cheek) connections to earlier Souls-likes, each with a slew of new experiments. Bloodborne did it well. Some things worked out GREAT (rally, trick weapons, new dodging), some not (randomly generated dungeons, bells...), definitely something different. Use DLC to refine things, sure, but other than that? NEW STUFF YEAH

We should come up with derisive nicknames for the coming of the future smug elitist Nioh experts. Personally, I'm for Niohpets

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Grizlor posted:

Aren't they the clowns that made Other M and Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball?

Other M's gameplay was fine. The problem was the plot. Which they aren't writing for Ni-Oh, apparently.

I mean, given their track record, I assume that every breast in the game will bounce like a demon possessed, but I'm reasonably sure I can ignore that.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 28, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^If I recall they were also forced to make Other M conform to a largely NES style control scheme, which is hilariously awful.

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking forward to Nioh, but for various reasons I haven't played the demo. I'll get it nonetheless. Combat looks fun, but I don't really know how the game is regarding dungeon exploration/traps/hilarious ambushes etc. I noticed instances of enemies more or less spawning anywhere through demon portals, which always seemed to me like an especially lazy "shut up you fight now" approach to designing environments and encounters in it... Who knows, I'll get it even if it's "just" beefed-up Souls-like combat.

The portals are telegraphed one-time mini-bosses. You can see them before they trigger and once you beat them they're gone until you restart that mission (essentially per-area NG+). They've got the same ambushes the DS is famous for too, like archers placed behind you as you approach a threatening enemy, or slightly different ground crumbling under your feet. Or extra dudes in hard to spot alcoves in a corridor. Some are fine, some are complete bullshit, just like in DS (rolling fireball in undead burg? haha fall for it once - rear end in a top hat wizard spawning in as you fight a tough giant dude? that sucks every time).

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ninkobei posted:

what's wrong with this?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
actually nevermind. doesn't look unfogiveably bad not that great either.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Decrepus posted:

If you combined all the good levels from the Souls series you would have a good game's worth of levels.

This game would have both blighttown and the gutter so it would be awesome.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Also loving hell I looked up the info on Darkmoon Longbow. Why does From insists on making so many boss weapons bad :(

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm having a surprisingly fun time with the fukken mace. A +3 mace hits pretty drat hard. I think I'm going to level this bad boy up a bit.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

I'd give the beta a shot before passing judgement on it. It's really fun to play and offers a surprising amount of nuance.

Torquemadras posted:

Hahaha

I don't think it's fair to say criticism, even strong criticism, of Dark Souls 3 means you have to hate it. While I'm disappointed about certain aspects of the game compared to DS1 and SotFS, I still have had a lot of fun playing the game, exploring the world and, despite my complaints, dueling. Hell, just the other night I hopped into the game and was actually dueling a bit! It's rough edges, though, are just very noticeable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ninkobei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETrzJ1XhAo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also: dark souls 2 is good

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I feel like I should know this, but what is represented by the + xxx with your weapon damage? The first number is the base damage, + what? Is that the scaling?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

lite_sleepr posted:

I feel like I should know this, but what is represented by the + xxx with your weapon damage? The first number is the base damage, + what? Is that the scaling?

Yes. It's (base damage) + (damage bonus from stats)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My humble mace it is then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

is the beta better than the alpha was?

because the alpha was pretty bad

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

is the beta better than the alpha was?

because the alpha was pretty bad

Insanely better. The game works a lot better in basically every respect, they removed weapon durability and replaced it with an actually kind of clever mechanic. It's still got problems but they're listening a whole lot to complaints about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's cool. the weapon durability thing was insane in the first demo. you ate through weapons absurdly fast

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Basically if they just fix that enemies are a little damage spongey and do too much damage it's going to be a rad af game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I do remember dying crazy fast, yea. like even bloodborne was way, way more lenient than that demo

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Manatee Cannon posted:

I do remember dying crazy fast, yea. like even bloodborne was way, way more lenient than that demo

Cause the armor and poise actually works and you start out wearing nothing (and it takes a while to get proper armor) in the beta. I can't think of a single Souls game where heavy armor actually protected you to any meaningful degree, while in Nioh you trade stamina for massive DR and poise. It's sort of what DS2 tried to do and failed because even the heaviest elephant armor was still kind of poo poo for DR (the old estus mechanic didn't help trying to tank through damage either).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 29, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Fire Barrel posted:

I don't think it's fair to say criticism, even strong criticism, of Dark Souls 3 means you have to hate it. While I'm disappointed about certain aspects of the game compared to DS1 and SotFS, I still have had a lot of fun playing the game, exploring the world and, despite my complaints, dueling. Hell, just the other night I hopped into the game and was actually dueling a bit! It's rough edges, though, are just very noticeable.

Oh, I agree. I'm not the type to plaster over faults just because it's one of my favorite games, and I did not mean to say that anyone who DARES critizise DS3 is necessarily a hateful whiny wannabe SOULS PRO gamer who played three games and fancies himself a veteran. Hell, I've been on the receiving end, too, when I started pointing out the visible seams of the more poorly assembled overworld of DS2, back when the hype was still ongoing...

It seems like there's nothing left but bitter hyperbole, though. It's annoying as hell, but I can't really blame anyone. I mean, what, we're gonna talk about the lore? Which has embraced its ducttape nature more than ever?

In any case, I hope the next From Software Souls-like goes more experimental than ever, so that I can use the rough edges as actual weapons :colbert:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nioh? From what I glimpsed at that character screen, it looks like an RPG/tournament fighter mix. Do you need to learn a half dozen button combination to perform attacks like Xenoverse or Mortal Kombat?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's got the Souls control scheme - light attack, strong attack. The classic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The controls are more like a mix of Souls and Ninja Gaiden

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Which is more fun to use, the Wolf Knight's Greatsword or the Farron Greatsword? I've decided I want to spin and slide everywhere this time but not how. :v:

I'd ask about the Curved Wolf Greatsword but that would require me to be summoned ever and I doubt that's working yet.

quote:

Cause the armor and poise actually works and you start out wearing nothing (and it takes a while to get proper armor) in the beta. I can't think of a single Souls game where heavy armor actually protected you to any meaningful degree, while in Nioh you trade stamina for massive DR and poise. It's sort of what DS2 tried to do and failed because even the heaviest elephant armor was still kind of poo poo for DR (the old estus mechanic didn't help trying to tank through damage either).

I found armor pretty noticeable in DS1, much less so but there in DS2 (especially in the dark age of the Havelmages), and meaningless in BB and DS3 outside of status effects.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 29, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sakurazuka posted:

The controls are more like a mix of Souls and Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was one of my favorite games of all times because it was one of those "difficult" games that just clicked for me; I got it. A mix of Souls and that game would be pretty much perfect. Nioh isn't that (yet?) but it's pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lotish posted:

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was one of my favorite games of all times because it was one of those "difficult" games that just clicked for me; I got it. A mix of Souls and that game would be pretty much perfect. Nioh isn't that (yet?) but it's pretty close.

Oh man, Ninja Gaiden. Never played the original 2d scrolling ones, but that XBox game was incredible. NG2 less so, admittedly, because half of it devolved into giant empty spaces where a clusterfuck of enemies spawns. Loved the dismemberment system, though. More games need that.

What's up with NG3, anyway? I keep hearing it's incredibly bad...

RBA Starblade posted:

I found armor pretty noticeable in DS1, much less so but there in DS2 (especially in the dark age of the Havelmages), and meaningless in BB and DS3 outside of status effects.

I think Bloodborne's approach is the best of them all - aside from status/special effects and a minor bonus to defense, armor is almost entirely a fashion choice. WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE. I'm actually glad traditional DS1 poise is dead forever. Perhaps it has more of a place in a slower game like DS3, but overall, good riddance, the only acceptable way of tanking damage is while performing a giant gently caress-off hammer swing

Controversial opinion incoming: DS3's greatest flaw is the fashion tax. I am 100% unironic here, folks