Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm actually surprised Mansell was never seriously hurt his whole career.

He did his back pretty badly at Suzuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Didn't he almost end his career in an F3 crash?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Watching the mid-80s races did make me appreciate his style.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Didn't he almost end his career in an F3 crash?

Right. Nevermind. He got really hosed up.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Willeh posted:

Yeah I am. You ever watch something for as long you can remember, and then the moment a Dutch driver gets into the F1 these fairweather assholes come in with their stupid loving outfits and make embarrassments of themselves?

That's what's happening now. It happened in the 90's and it's gonna happen again.

I feel that way every time the British go out country supporting 'England' at football.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
'England'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm actually surprised Mansell was never seriously hurt his whole career. Well the end of '87 I guess.

are you loving serious? is this a serious post?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Watching the mid-80s races did make me appreciate his style.

If it wasn't for his attitude problem he'd probably be one of my favorite drivers, but he always acted like he was so hard done by and refused to put any effort in.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

If it wasn't for his attitude problem he'd probably be one of my favorite drivers, but he always acted like he was so hard done by and refused to put any effort in.

His attitude didnt bother me as a young lad. I thought he was, and still do, awesome. Mansell is the reason why today, you guys have to put up with me.

edit: if you know what I mean fellas :smug:

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 28, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I feel that way every time the British go out country supporting 'England' at football.

I've got terrible news for you: this is how the British act when they go abroad for any reason. It's especially great in countries where the main language is not English, because they will typically behave as is everyone should speak English but at the same time no one actually does speak English (and it's therefore appropriate to yell obscenities all over the place, since the foreigns won't understand).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

are you loving serious? is this a serious post?

Considering how often he crashed he should have been injured more, I think.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are Nige broke his neck and back twice in 3 separate accidents, also broke his leg in a 4th.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

PT6A posted:

I've got terrible news for you: this is how the British act when they go abroad for any reason.

You can't argue that English/British people are insufferable, both abroad and at home.

However every other country in the world is worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

We are the barrier. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

His attitude didnt bother me as a young lad. I thought he was, and still do, awesome. Mansell is the reason why today, you guys have to put up with me.

He perfectly embodies the British national spirit of being innately talented but refusing to do any hard work and then just having a moan when things don't work out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

Nuvolari had no fear because he was an insane person.
I find this the more respectable of the two options

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

1500quidporsche posted:

He perfectly embodies the British national spirit of being innately talented but refusing to do any hard work and then just having a moan when things don't work out.

Mansell was just a oval office.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
this poo poo is disgusting wtf is wrong with Australians?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bogans

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I'd really say this is Lewis's championship to lose after today. He's got the advantage on almost every front.

I was thinking exactly that during the closing laps. All we need is for a commentator to utter the same thing live on air and invoke the dreaded commentator's curse.

The Croc posted:

Every cut to Massa Dad has been amazing i don't think his expression has changed from sad face all race since Brazil 08.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Riso posted:

Mansell was just a oval office.

I randomly read his autobiography because it was the only book left on a shelf in a youth hostel I was at.
It's actually a pretty good read. He does still seem a bit twattish, but by the end you do kind of agree with him on most things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

enri posted:

I was thinking exactly that during the closing laps. All we need is for a commentator to utter the same thing live on air and invoke the dreaded commentator's curse.

But that means Rosberg will win, unless somehow both Merc drives become absolute poo poo, letting the bogan win (Riccardo can only get 351 points, assuming he wins the remaining 8 races).

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/FakeGhostPirate/status/769992562388140034

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I had to look at that picture for a long time before I realised it was an F1 2016 screenshot. "...Yesterday? ...Monaco? .....Massa's dad isn't an F1 driver, he must be completely off his rocker."

e: Oh god, now all I can see is that ultra-low poly yacht in the background. :ughh:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

iospace posted:

But that means Rosberg will win, unless somehow both Merc drives become absolute poo poo, letting the bogan win (Riccardo can only get 351 points, assuming he wins the remaining 8 races).

The resulting Hamilton meltdown would be worth it

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda liking ol' Hulk more and more after interviews like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37DnCvQe9I

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

El Hefe posted:

Ricciardo and Webber are cashed up bogans, so they suppress their bogan urges most of the time but sometimes during an emotional moment their bogan behaviour takes over and they do something gross like this. Much to the embarrassment of us regular Aussies.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

andyf posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda liking ol' Hulk more and more after interviews like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37DnCvQe9I

Not mad about the Nando pit lane incident and actually enjoying the racing, good lad right there.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Fanatic posted:

Ricciardo and Webber are cashed up bogans, so they suppress their bogan urges most of the time but sometimes during an emotional moment their bogan behaviour takes over and they do something gross like this. Much to the embarrassment of us regular Aussies.

As an American, what the poo poo is a bogan? Some racist term for Aussies?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

As an American, what the poo poo is a bogan? Some racist term for Aussies?

"White Trash"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

andyf posted:

I feel like he came into the sport too late, if he was around in the 90s he would've just been just as successful as Alesi.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So your biological father is Nigel? Can you grow a wicked mustache like he had?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

El Hefe posted:

What the christ...this is a fuckin tragedy.

What kind of man let's a man do a shot without taking one with him? Danny Ric should be ashamed. Motherfuker should have been standing up there in his socks.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Fanatic posted:

Ricciardo and Webber are cashed up bogans,

Webber is a good aussie lad.

He takes his mum anne to every race with him

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
She requires daily doses of bogan face cream for her wrinkles

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Dubs posted:

But wait Marks mum isnt named a..... :vince:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Watching the interviews now thinking that it is good there are engine change penalties, that will stop a dominate team from using new motors constantly.

Now after this race Lewis went from the back of the grid to 3rd and he has more engines available than most people.

#F1

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dubs posted:

Ohhhhh

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Khablam posted:

I randomly read his autobiography because it was the only book left on a shelf in a youth hostel I was at.
It's actually a pretty good read. He does still seem a bit twattish, but by the end you do kind of agree with him on most things.

Yes what a surprise, a biography painting a nice picture about a person.

I think in http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/frank-dernie-podcast we learn that he really kept pissing everyone off while Piquet was a nice chap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

El Hefe posted:

Canberra Milk Skid meets The Colgate Bogan

• Locked thread