Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
poo poo, there's a chance this guy may actually call my bluff and I may be buying a used german sports car. For 55k. It's me. I am BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Happens to the best of us.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

poo poo, there's a chance this guy may actually call my bluff and I may be buying a used german sports car. For 55k. It's me. I am BWM.

I get it. I just bought a used German sports car, too.

...for $4k. :smug:

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Residency Evil posted:

How are you paying for it? 401(k) loan? 96-month 7.25% APR note? super-double-secret-reverse-mortgage?

Because if it's cash . . .:argh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

last laugh posted:

How are you paying for it? 401(k) loan? 96-month 7.25% APR note? super-double-secret-reverse-mortgage?

Because if it's cash . . .:argh:

Maxing out the cash advance across multiple credit cards, buying gun/ammo stocks, and selling when Hillary gets elected.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Maxing out the cash advance across multiple credit cards, buying gun/ammo stocks, and selling when Hillary gets elected.

If you can prove you can get a cash advance, I will quit my job and come work for you right now.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Residency Evil posted:

:lol: at buying stocks when you can buy binary options denominated in Turkish Lira.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Dude. That's a good plan.

You should buy a boat.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NancyPants posted:

If you can prove you can get a cash advance, I will quit my job and come work for you right now.

You gotta stay relaxed. Do you jerk off?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TLG James posted:

This is pretty funny, even if you just skip around a few pages.

Technically he bought in 2007, at literally at near the highest point before the crash.

Post in mid 2008. A few days before the actual crash.

Beginning of the crash:

Mid July 08:

Then finally....

It does sound like the dude is making some money though. He does say he's "retired" now.
Is this the guy who worked in high finance and made 200k/yr+? He basically bailed himself out of the hole with high income. But in one of the quotes you posted it says 35k/yr so maybe not. I remember reading a similar story a few years ago but I don't feel like reading this guys thread now.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

You gotta stay relaxed. Do you jerk off?

Like twice a day. I got this.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

HORSECHAT

"Most one-percenty thing you ever said or thought" http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?498349-Most-one-percenty-thing-you-ever-said-or-thought

quote:

True that.

People have actually asked me if I have a lot of money when they find out I have a horse.

The boundaries that question crosses aside, it's like, "um, no. I don't have a lot of money because I have a horse."

quote:

I was at lunch with my friend the other day and she asked how much it costs to board my horse. I actually refused to tell her. I get so many judgy eyes when I tell someone that my board is $xxxx which is as much as some mortgage payments! I live in an area where $750-$1000+ is the norm for basic indoor board. Saying basic care for your horse (no lessons, shoeing, extra feed, shows, ect) is the cost of some mortgages is pretty darn 1%

I mean most people spend their cash on something..cars, travel, eating out. I actually don't mind talking to the people at work about it, but for some reason I just didn't want to talk to her about it. She also asked how much he was when I bought him... I said as much as my husband's new Honda Civic...and that was lowballing it

quote:

When you look at a saddle costing 5 figures and think oh that's not bad......

quote:

never even thought this was a 1% thing until posted it on anther thread.... our horse we had in Kentucky had her own credit card

"How much does it really cost to show?" http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?498251-How-much-does-it-really-cost-to-show

quote:

I ride dressage. Here's a cost rundown for my last show, which was really two shows--Friday and Sat/Sun.

Trailering at 50 cents a mile: $45
Entry fees for three non-qualifying, non-FEI classes: $135
Office fee for two shows: $70
USEF horse and drug fees for two shows: $32
Stabling for three nights: $190
Share of tack stall: $45
Five bales of shavings: $50
Fee to sign up online via EqEntries: $22
Coaching x 4 days: $240
Hotel for three nights: $235
Share of coach's meals/hotel: $200
New stall guard and fan: $40
Five pounds of carrots: $7

Total: $1211.

You see that the coaching costs are significant. There are a couple of one time purchases above but I left them in because there's always something I have to buy for the next show: a new hose because someone walked off with mine, a new stall fork because mine was crushed in a loose horse moment, etc. I always do my own braiding and late night check. I bring my own water, coffee, food, wine and try to skip the group dinners.

quote:

A/AA jumpers here.

Average Ontario show looked like this--

Shipping: $100-$1200 depending on local or away show

Hotel room split (if more than an hour and a half away): ~$600 + split on trainer's accommodations/food

Show fees:
Division $125-150
Schooling (usually I did about 2 per week) $40 each
Nomination (if 1.10m+) $150
Admin Fee $50
Levy/Drug Test $30

Stall $225-$250
Split on Grooming/Tack Stalls ~$50-$100
Hay/Shavings $80-$120
Groom split $25-$50 per day
Coaching $50 per day

Purchasing water bottles from the horse show (if you're desperate): $5 each

quote:

If I was going to average it out, about $2,000 to $2500 per week for local (big AA or A shows) or up to $5000 per week for out of town. That's per horse. Adding another horse does not automatically double the costs. These costs can vary depending on whether I fly or drive to out of town shows, the cost of hotel and food, etc.

I don't do anything myself anymore, however. The above costs are for hauling, entries, full service, braiding, trainer expenses, feed and bedding, splits, day fees, grooms, etc. Your experience may vary depending where you show and if your trainer will allow you to do some tasks yourself.

I think the total costs are less than say, in the mid-West vs. either coast. H/J shows tend to run more than other disciplines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

our horse we had in Kentucky had her own credit card

Good find, it's about time for a new thread title.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
"Horse person" was always incredibly effective as a dating red-flag.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Good find, it's about time for a new thread title.
How do you stop a horse from charging? :haw:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

If I was going to average it out, about $2,000 to $2500 per week for local (big AA or A shows) or up to $5000 per week for out of town. That's per horse.

Like, I really don't get it. What is the whole point of this? What are you getting for $2k a week?

Edit: I mean, is it just about showing off, winning awards, watch your horses be pretty?

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 28, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ohgodwhat posted:

Like, I really don't get it. What is the whole point of this? What are you getting for $2k a week?

Edit: I mean, is it just about showing off, winning awards, watch your horses be pretty?

It's a hobby. Just because you don't agree to it's worth is a stupid reason to criticize what makes other people happy. Some people go on diving trips, some people buy and paint little models and roll dice, some people buy artwork, and others collect stamps and coins.

Obviously money management matters here, so I'm not attacking that, I'm attacking the idea that because you think it's pointless doesn't mean that they do.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah first humblebrags and now you need to preach about how we need to be understanding of people's horse expenditures in the BWM thread? Get hosed.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Boon has a valid point. It's only bad with money if you can't afford it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ohgodwhat posted:

Ah first humblebrags and now you need to preach about how we need to be understanding of people's horse expenditures in the BWM thread? Get hosed.

Haha :allears:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Sokani posted:

Boon has a valid point. It's only bad with money if you can't afford it.

Except it's not a response to my question. I was literally asking what do people get out of this? I don't go to horse shows.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ohgodwhat posted:

Except it's not a response to my question. I was literally asking what do people get out of this? I don't go to horse shows.

Boon posted:

It's a hobby.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dude, what the gently caress. This is not a hard question to understand. When you take a loving horse to a horse show, what do you get? Prizes, awards, satisfaction that you have a pretty horse?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ohgodwhat posted:

Dude, what the gently caress. This is not a hard question to understand. When you take a loving horse to a horse show, what do you get? Prizes, awards, satisfaction that you have a pretty horse?

What is this? What are you trying to do here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby

quote:

A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements. A list of hobbies is lengthy and always changing as interests and fashions change. By continually participating in a particular hobby, one can acquire substantial skill and knowledge in that area.

And to ward off your next inane question, "Equestrianism" can be found under the list of outdoor competition hobbies, here is the page that I've meticulously and thoroughly spent the last 5 seconds laborously dredging up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrianism

quote:

Equestrianism (from Latin equester, equestr-, equus, horseman, horse),[1] more often known as riding, horseback riding (American English) or horse riding (British English),[2] refers to the skill of riding, driving, steeplechasing or vaulting with horses. This broad description includes the use of horses for practical working purposes, transportation, recreational activities, artistic or cultural exercises, and competitive sport.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 28, 2016

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ohgodwhat posted:

Usually you and the horse(s) compete together, doing different things like dressage (horse dancing), jumping courses, or "hunter" (it's like cross country hurdles for horses). For dressage especially your horse has to look super pretty. You get prizes, either for prettiest and best executed horse dance, or for fasted around the horse hurdles course. If your horse is very pretty someone may even want to make new horses with it, and they will pay you for this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This thread should be sent to the glue factory.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

ohgodwhat posted:

Well... duh.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

Jesus Christ learn definitions.

Become Self-aware.

Touch a boob!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Example A: Someone without any reading comprehension

Boon posted:

What is this? What are you trying to do here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby

And to ward off your next inane question, "Equestrianism" can be found under the list of outdoor competition hobbies, here is the page that I've meticulously and thoroughly spent the last 5 seconds laborously dredging up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrianism

Example B: Someone with reading comprehension

bartlebyshop posted:

Usually you and the horse(s) compete together, doing different things like dressage (horse dancing), jumping courses, or "hunter" (it's like cross country hurdles for horses). For dressage especially your horse has to look super pretty. You get prizes, either for prettiest and best executed horse dance, or for fasted around the horse hurdles course. If your horse is very pretty someone may even want to make new horses with it, and they will pay you for this.

Thank you. That's all I was curious about as someone who doesn't attend horse shows.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

Then your question should have been, "Why do people "compete" at horse shows?"

Not this stupid poo poo you loving typed out.

Learn language.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

quote:

As for a pyramid scheme--If you do just a bit of research you will also find, MLMs are also the future. In most companies big or small, your boss at the top is the one making the most money. In an MLM anyone anywhere can make money. People above and below have equal opportunity. No limits, because there is technically no boss to tell you what to do. You are your own. For many people, especially moms, in-home businesses are the future and are a big difference for their families. Somebody that is doing the business side of YL never started it for the money, but found out they couldn't live without the product and simply want to share the goodness with others. #passionwithpurpose #plantswithpurpose

So what if it's a pyramid scheme? PYRAMID SCEMES ARE THE FUTURE :stonk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

quote:

I bring my own water, coffee, food, wine and try to skip the group dinners.

I mean I guess I'd want to get drunk on my personal wine too if I just spent $1000 on horse dancing

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Boon posted:

It's a hobby. Just because you don't agree to it's worth is a stupid reason to criticize what makes other people happy. Some people go on diving trips, some people buy and paint little models and roll dice, some people buy artwork, and others collect stamps and coins.

Obviously money management matters here, so I'm not attacking that, I'm attacking the idea that because you think it's pointless doesn't mean that they do.

Problem here is that with most hobbies if you run out of money you can just put the bike/surfboard/basil/Star Wars figurine collection in the basement and forget about it. With a horse you're always going to be bleeding money, even if you lose interest or lose your job or didn't budget for the $10,000 saddles. A good riding horse is hard enough to sell and if it's injured, ugly, or difficult to ride then you're stuck with it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

This thread should be sent to the glue factory.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Please do not judge my hobby, which is neatly stacking $100 bills into small piles and then setting those piles on fire.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Hobby bigots

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

defectivemonkey posted:

Please do not judge my hobby, which is neatly stacking $100 bills into small piles and then setting those piles on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Federal money hole: GWM or BWM?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol this thread. You can't just double down on "I'M ANGRY" if you get called out for being stupid

Anyway I'm bad with money because I just organized my garage and realized my habit of picking up ammo whenever it's on sale has resulted in me having about 5,000 rounds each of 9mm and 5.56.

I know that's like an afternoon of ammo for many goons, but it's probably a 10 year supply for me.

Also I haven't cooked a meal in my house in 5 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol this thread. You can't just double down on "I'M ANGRY" if you get called out for being stupid

Anyway I'm bad with money because I just organized my garage and realized my habit of picking up ammo whenever it's on sale has resulted in me having about 5,000 rounds each of 9mm and 5.56.

I know that's like an afternoon of ammo for many goons, but it's probably a 10 year supply for me.

Also I haven't cooked a meal in my house in 5 months.

Nah that's GWM because you can use it as currency once society falls apart sell it for 500% markup when Hillary gets elected and finally reveals her plot to take everyone's guns and institute mandatory gay abortions

• Locked thread