Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Many years ago when I was dumb and poor and a waiter I had the pleasure to serve a convention of Ukrainian Catholic priests, and at the time they were debating weather or not America was ready for a "friend of the family or jew bitch" to be president. If anything today I know the New York Ukrainians population is almost certainly pro Trump if not ant-liberal/democrat by default. It honestly shouldnt surprise anyone that a population that is poor, backwards, and relatively isolated from global trends exhibits regressive views on anything. Cousin Boris circa 2006; "men dont hold babies". The attitudes I have seen are mostly just based on total ignorance and lack of education, and do not draw so much from ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gaj posted:

Many years ago when I was dumb and poor and a waiter I had the pleasure to serve a convention of Ukrainian Catholic priests, and at the time they were debating weather or not America was ready for a "friend of the family or jew bitch" to be president. If anything today I know the New York Ukrainians population is almost certainly pro Trump if not ant-liberal/democrat by default. It honestly shouldnt surprise anyone that a population that is poor, backwards, and relatively isolated from global trends exhibits regressive views on anything. Cousin Boris circa 2006; "men dont hold babies". The attitudes I have seen are mostly just based on total ignorance and lack of education, and do not draw so much from ideology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyHuG1ks04A

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gaj posted:

do they like Putin

this better be the seinfeld scene.

edit: it wasnt booo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

spacetoaster posted:

I spent years in the ME dealing with IED's and stuff and I'd say not really? I mean, after all that time, if the case stayed intact protecting the explosive, it would be far less effective than some stuff you could make at home.

Sorry let me address this, I dont meab literally drag out a 500 lb bomb and drive itbibto parliment. By utilize I mean take that bomb and use the a. Similar to what occures in the ME on a daily basis. UED is recycled every single day in the ME, where most of the foreign fighters go to jihad-college of baghdadi knowledge.

Let me rephrase the question, Could ISIS use the recycling of UED tactics that are used in ME conflicts in europe; with that fact that drat near every country has UED fields litteref with poo poo ranging from arty rounds to 500+ lb bombs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LeoMarr posted:

Sorry let me address this, I dont meab literally drag out a 500 lb bomb and drive itbibto parliment. By utilize I mean take that bomb and use the a. Similar to what occures in the ME on a daily basis. UED is recycled every single day in the ME, where most of the foreign fighters go to jihad-college of baghdadi knowledge.

Let me rephrase the question, Could ISIS use the recycling of UED tactics that are used in ME conflicts in europe; with that fact that drat near every country has UED fields litteref with poo poo ranging from arty rounds to 500+ lb bombs.

If ISIS actually finds and recycles a Fliegerbombe inside a major population center I would be mightily impressed. Though they would never try this because a group of dumb assholes digging blindly trough a large city would be the dumbest and most brazen thing ever. They'd probably get halfway to succeeding simply because the police will spend like a week laughing their asses off.

Then all ISIS guys get arrested/shot, the end. Comedy option: They actually manage to find a bomb before someone notices the guys hacking up beton everywhere and blow themselves up

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

steinrokkan posted:

There must be a point when even Lukashenko realizes that he's embarrassing himself by being seen with that loser. I can understand Depardieu, but why the gently caress Seagal.

Croatian commercial TV stations play movies with either Seagal or Van Damme daily. I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar in Belarus.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

If ISIS actually finds and recycles a Fliegerbombe inside a major population center I would be mightily impressed. Though they would never try this because a group of dumb assholes digging blindly trough a large city would be the dumbest and most brazen thing ever. They'd probably get halfway to succeeding simply because the police will spend like a week laughing their asses off.

Then all ISIS guys get arrested/shot, the end. Comedy option: They actually manage to find a bomb before someone notices the guys hacking up beton everywhere and blow themselves up

Yeah they aren't exactly masterminds. It would make a nice short film for ISIS to go fishing in Baltic waters and then one day *BOOM* a ton of old Nazi equipment erupts from the sea with men shouting allahu ackbar! I'd choose a Stuka myself as those dive sirens were fairly awesome.

edit:someone make this movie now

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 28, 2016

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

I can not read and I thought at first that it was Scrubs because of their blue outfits.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

All the unexploded bombs and shells that remain after all these years are remaining because they haven't been found yet. All those bombs that were sitting around on the surface in plain sight have been taken out already. And when one is found, usually as a result of digging in preparation for building something, authorities are alerted immediately and they send a bomb team to safely dispose of it.

So Daesh agents would have to be the one to find a bomb, and for that they would have to be searching for them. Which is going to be quite difficult to do discreetly. I mean if a bunch of people with Arabic sounding names are renting some earthmovers to plow through someone else's private property, that's probably going to be noticed.

It'd be much simpler to smuggle fresh unexploded ordnance from Syria...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They could get into the construction business as a long con / deep cover type operation. There are literally no security screenings whatsoever for excavator operators :ohdear:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

They could get into the construction business as a long con / deep cover type operation. There are literally no security screenings whatsoever for excavator operators :ohdear:

Most municipalities have zoning enforcement boards requiring complete plans and bonds posted before any construction happens. You're going to have building inspectors visiting your site regularly. Provided there's no bribing going on. Welp ...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I assume he's joking but this actually has been a problem in Isreal. Just not so much in the "digging up weapons" sense as it is in the "you can gently caress a lot of stuff up with a bulldozer" sense.

And really, if anyone should realize that you could gently caress poo poo up with a bulldozer it should have been the Israelis.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cliff Racer posted:

I assume he's joking but this actually has been a problem in Isreal. Just not so much in the "digging up weapons" sense as it is in the "you can gently caress a lot of stuff up with a bulldozer" sense.

And really, if anyone should realize that you could gently caress poo poo up with a bulldozer it should have been the Israelis.

I have a friend in construction. When we drive past heavy machinery he waves his caterpillar universal key saying "I could drive that around if I wanted too!". I could see it being a problem if utilized in such a way. I mean you could easily cause landslides or break things with heavy machinary

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LeoMarr posted:

I have a friend in construction. When we drive past heavy machinery he waves his caterpillar universal key saying "I could drive that around if I wanted too!". I could see it being a problem if utilized in such a way. I mean you could easily cause landslides or break things with heavy machinary
Imagine if everyone did that. Then we'd have bulldozer battles in the streets like they have in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj-SPD_NIg

Actually, that sounds pretty sweet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Another Putin critic dies mysteriously of self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the back of the head.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/769836554810454016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

I don't think anyone was thinking about them driving a 500lb bomb into parliment (lol) I was referring to the idea of using the explosive compound from a bomb.

And it's not "similar to what occurs in the ME on a daily basis" because they aren't using explosive material that's been buried in the ground for 80 years.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Imagine if everyone did that. Then we'd have bulldozer battles in the streets like they have in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj-SPD_NIg

Actually, that sounds pretty sweet.

I'm the dude jumping out of the dozer that's knocked over and gets into another dozer.

Young Freud posted:

Another Putin critic dies mysteriously of self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the back of the head.

When is the next presidential election in Russia?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Where did you get back of the head from?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

When is the next presidential election in Russia?

Niedar posted:

Where did you get back of the head from?
It's a reference to untimely accidents and supernatural suicides happening to Russia's more vocal opponents.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He probably just realized how mean he's been to Putin and couldn't live with the guilt. Move along, folks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if anything, The Sum of All Fears taught me that the only person organizations need to use WMD's is an ophthalmologist

wait

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's a reference to untimely accidents and supernatural suicides happening to Russia's more vocal opponents.

Anyone got an up to date list of the casualties?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This. The only humor you could really find in a situation like this.

Although, I missed the bit about this being in Kiev.

Friendly Humour posted:

Anyone got an up to date list of the casualties?

gently caress, I ran across something on twitter earlier today in regards to this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
First Sheremet and now Schetinin. Ukraine doesn't look particularly safe for journalists nowadays.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's the comedy about being in Kiev? In Soviet Russia, homonazi doesn't gently caress you?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

What's the comedy about being in Kiev? In Soviet Russia, homonazi doesn't gently caress you?

In Kiev, you're chicken? I dunno, not much fun in Kiev.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aliquid posted:

if anything, The Sum of All Fears taught me that the only person organizations need to use WMD's is an ophthalmologist

wait

Assad is a topic for the Middle East thread.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My friend used to use metal detector to find WW2 stuff. One day he found HMG ammo of some kind and he decided he'd like to extract some powder. He was really lucky to end up with some minor burns and no eyebrows. Now he doesn't do that anymore. I'd rather try to buy explosives in Ukraine or Russia and smuggle it than risk death or mutiliation trying to reuse 70 years old unexploded ordinance. It'd be waaay safer to try and make stuff at home too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is there a Central Asia thread? 'cause there seem to be reports that Karimov is dead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't think so, we might as well count all former Soviet states as Eastern Europe. I saw his hospitalisation report a few days ago, hopefully he is dead. Man's been a dictator long enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Could someone give me a rundown on Uzbekistan's current political status? I'm particularly ignorant of that country's setting and background.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone give me a rundown on Uzbekistan's current political status? I'm particularly ignorant of that country's setting and background.

Karimov has been the ruler since 1991. Repeatedly criticized for really bad human rights record.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Karimov has been the ruler since 1991. Repeatedly criticized for really bad human rights record.
And by really bad human rights record we are talking about herding a crowd of anti-government protesters into a dead end alleway and opening fire. Otherwise it's still terrible too - he reelected himself for the third term in spite of the constitution, police forces make 2016 Philippines look okay, and you have the usual Eastern European mix - ethnic and religious persecution, censorship, and corruption. His cohort was fairly bad too, no one did bat an eye on Karimov's guard boiling prisoners alive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Uzbekikitty is probably going to be meowling tonight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The last Stalinist state. Fill in the blanks from there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thanks, y'all! Why has Uzbekistan remained stable- is it part of Russia's Sphere of Doom Dystop Influence, serving as a buffer?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks, y'all! Why has Uzbekistan remained stable- is it part of Russia's Sphere of Doom Dystop Influence, serving as a buffer?
They did interest no one and remained bffs with Russia until mid 2000s when they began to look into setting up relationships with Asia.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:laffo: I bet that's resulted in some real interesting Belgian explosive ordnance disposal brainstorming sessions.

Which apparently so far have concluded that the least bad option is to wait for it to send that guy and his tractor into orbit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
FWIW, Russian news agencies are denying reports of Karimov's death. So it probably is indeed true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have some distant relatives in Tashkent and even more distant in Samarkand. We don't talk much. However, apparently his illness has been reported by local media, which suggests that it's serious and he's likely to kick the bucket if he hadn't already. Otherwise he'd be just "on vacation" for a few weeks/months and then everything would be back to normal. I've seen some sources claiming that he's already dead but there's not much evidence for it.

Some additional background. Thinking of it as the last Stalinist state, as was suggested, is probably a decent approximation, minus any pretenses at communism. This also means that he's actually fairy popular, at least among the people not being currently tortured. You'll head the usual justifications such as that he keeps the country safe and stable, with minorities peacefully coexisting etc. This is achieved in part with oppression and of course also censorship and propaganda.

In fact, there's quite a bit of crime and unrest, otherwise you wouldn't put cops on every loving corner and pat down and check papers of people entering the subways or the train station, which is literally worse than a Western airport. A law enforcement guy was taking about dealing with some horrible murders, but they'd never be mentioned anywhere. The economy is a mess and there's an active currency black market (get 2x cash for your bucks at an unmarked convenience store vs the bank). Corruption is rampant too of course, you just hand over some cash to traffic cops by default, and even the guards at tourist traps will try to hustle you.

Still, in practice, if you keep your head down, it's reasonably safe and you can get on with your sad life.