Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you store food in Tribal and Medieval starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Aleth posted:

Yeah, just checked now and when you uninstall something it keeps the quality modifier so :shrug:.

What I do to make sure i get good beds, for example, is just build twice as many as I want in the corridor and then move the good ones into the rooms, deconstruct the rest. Seems to work fine, just wastes a little bit of resources.

You could always put the bad ones in the prisoner room instead.

LLSix posted:

Turn it into pemmican or anything else long-lived ASAP?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that is just a quick way to relocate furniture, it doesn't change it's statistics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

How do you do this? I understand the theory but I've never managed it in practice. Even colonies 2-3 years old can spend a whole season making one large statue. And even with tons of statues I've never managed to get even one room to impressive.

Well, first off sculpture isn't super good.

A really good sculpture is great but, as you say, they take ages to make and you're not likely to get a really good one. You can offset this by using wood instead of stone, because stone has a major work-time multiplier so it takes ages to build stuff out of it, but it's still a lot of work for a low chance of payoff. If you get a really good artist and lots of time to work, then yeah it's worth going for, but don't make it your go-to effort.

Instead, focus on getting a really good constructor, try to restrict construction to someone who's really good at it and get them to do all of it, so they level up a lot. Then demolish and rebuild furniture until it gives you high grade stuff. The main thing you need for impressiveness is quality, not specifically art. So a really loving good dining table will add a bunch to impressiveness just as a really good sculpture will, but the dining table is way easier to make because you will be building loads of stuff anyway and it's much faster.

Carpet or smooth the floors, make your rooms real big, and fill them with lots and lots of fancy furniture. You can make those out of stone because a good constructor can still build a fancy stone table in a day. Combine your recreation and dining rooms into one and put your cool chess tables and armchairs and TVs in the same room as your masterwork marble dining tables, bigger rooms with more stuff in them help with impressiveness, basically impressiveness is not like cleanliness or beauty really, it's not averaged out, it's more additive, so a bigger room gives you more room to cram in more cool poo poo and the space itself helps with it too.

The thing you want to use art for is giving massive beauty buffs to an area, so that people in it get an extra mood boost, for the long term effects of using a room, you need impressiveness, eating in an impressive dining room/sleeping in an impressive dorm/bedroom are all impressiveness based.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 28, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just tried starting as the rich solo adventurer. His first colonist buddy was a damsel in distress named Lady. He saved her from her pursuers, but took some facial damage in the process causing her to spurn his subsequent advances. Her inability to give medical care was just icing on the cake.

A week or so passes and another woman named Devlin joins up with a raid hot on her tail. She's super self sufficient, grabs the charge rifle and takes care of business on her own then comes back and tends to our hero. She nurses him back to complete health and everything is going great. Then they get in an argument trying to walk past each other in the freezer airlock and she beats him to death.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am going to wait until A15 stable to play again.

I've lost 4 colonies to unstable updates so far.

And A15 just got released according to SendOwl sending me an email. Also on Steam. I opted out of the unstable branch.

If you don't want to update due to mods, you can make it so you are still using A14 in the betas tab.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 28, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Ah yes, there's that enjoyable moment when you close your game to go make dinner, then come back later, find out that the game has moved up a version and steam has helpfully updated the mods to the new version when you fire it up.

Time to go find the A14 versions of the stuff that updated.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well the good news is many mods can't update to A15 until CCL comes out.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My colony is back on!

It took two perfect mortar shots out of a ton of attempts, all but two of my colonists are dead, half the place burned to the ground and the centipede doled out ridiculous amounts of damage before being taken out by my turret but somehow we're still going. Wounded and depressed and starving, but still going.

e: Argh, second to last guy died of infection because the only guy who could help him was spent the entire time being berserk. Again.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 28, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Squeegy posted:

Well the good news is many mods can't update to A15 until CCL comes out.

Hospitality used some trickery to make it work without CCL.

He will make it require CCL again once CCL is updated, of course.

Also the alpha preview video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3Mh3a7Ifk

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm pretty new to this game, but I finally have a fairly stable colony on a mountainous map safe-ish in a closed off canyon.

I've mined out all the visible veins of steel and components, but there's a ton of mountain all around me obviously. Is there more than stone and horrifying infestations to find if I start mining? If so, is there any way to tell where valuable stuff is buried in mountains or do I just hope to get lucky?

Never seen any jade, gold, silver or plasteel on this map, and the only times I've seen materials other than stone in previous games, they've been at least partially exposed veins.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Well, that really is the end of it. Last colonist killed after 193 days. What does Randy decide on after two weeks under a psychic ship's influence and a five scyther plus centipede assault? Raid.

Three melee dudes all under personal shields, I have one guy with an assault rifle. I have no turrets connected to power after the psychic ship attack. One of them attacks one anyway and the explosion knocks out his shield. I move in with the assault rifle, hoping that if I take one of them out, the others may flee. He comes at my guy, he fires and missed. I order him to move, he doesn't move quickly enough and is hacked to death. Game over. Can't wait to start again on A15 when I come back from holiday when I won't work my guys to breaking point or neglect mortars or assault psychic ships.

Reztes posted:

I've mined out all the visible veins of steel and components, but there's a ton of mountain all around me obviously. Is there more than stone and horrifying infestations to find if I start mining? If so, is there any way to tell where valuable stuff is buried in mountains or do I just hope to get lucky?

Just hope to get lucky, I found a fair bit of steel and components by tunneling into the rock.

e: Is this random seed scenario new? I'll probably not use it until I leave the planet on a normal Randy Rough game but it looks interesting. Putting my name as the seed results in a map with no orbital traders, permanent volcanic winter and a map scattered with dozens of golden military helmets.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 28, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reztes posted:

I'm pretty new to this game, but I finally have a fairly stable colony on a mountainous map safe-ish in a closed off canyon.

Never seen any jade, gold, silver or plasteel on this map, and the only times I've seen materials other than stone in previous games, they've been at least partially exposed veins.

Just dig out tunnels around 9x9 squares of rock and veins will poke out of it. I found plenty of plasteel and steel in mountains that way, and you can make components with steel.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Squeegy posted:

How do you take an arrow to the spine from the front without damaging any organs?

How do you cut someone's heart installing a peg leg?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So my game got updated to 0.15 and tried to load my vanilla 0.13 save...

It loaded fine, but there's no interface and no controls except for the camera which can be moved one keypress at a time. I can't even open the escape menu.

Is there a way to salvage this or is it time to start a new game?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Away all Goats posted:

So my game got updated to 0.15 and tried to load my vanilla 0.13 save...

It loaded fine, but there's no interface and no controls except for the camera which can be moved one keypress at a time. I can't even open the escape menu.

Is there a way to salvage this or is it time to start a new game?

Opt into the A13 beta branch?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
A15 changelist:

quote:

Change list:

Tutorial
  • Added new rich tutorial with step-by-step instructions.
  • Tutorial teaches the basics of setting up a game, building a small self-sustaining colony, and defeating the first
    raider.
  • Tutorial locks out irrelevant controls and highlights relevant controls.
  • At the end of the tutorial, the player can continue the game with a normal storyteller.
Learning helper
  • Added new learning helper system to replace yellow pop-up messages and yellow learning alerts.
  • Learning helper sits in the top right of the screen. If something happens relating to a concept the player hasn’t learned, that lesson will be activated and shown on the learning helper. It can then be opened and read. Lessons are automatically marked as learned when the player does the necessary interaction, and can be marked as learned manually. Lessons are shown as needed by circumstance, or on a slow timer. The overall idea is that you’ll never be shown a lesson you already know, but always be shown the lessons you need to know now.
  • Learning helper can be expanded and searched for any lesson, so you can look up how to do a specific thing at any time.
Drugs system
  • Added new drugs system. It’s not just beer any more!
  • Drugs typically create up to four effects. Not all drugs have all effects.
  • Primary – The valuable short-term effect, whether it improves mood or work focus or combat effectiveness or makes one immune to a disease.
  • Overdose – Excessive drug usage in a short time can build up blood toxicity, leading to unconsciousness and possible death.
  • Tolerance – Long-term usage of a drug can build up a tolerance which makes subsequent usage less and less effective in producing the high.
  • Addiction – Drug use can form an addiction. This generates a new need for the drug which the pawn will try to feed regularly. If the need isn’t fed, the pawn will develop withdrawal symptoms (low mood, reduced consciousness). Eventually withdrawal will pass and the addiction will go away.
  • Drugs can be assigned for regular taking through the drug policy system. Similar to Outfits, drug policies are an assigned schedule for taking drugs. You can set any number of drugs, each with a frequency. For example, you can assign a colonist to drink 2 beers every day, and take one Malari-Block every 5 days.
  • The drugs are:
    Beer – Improved mood but worsened capacities. Addictive.
    Malari-block – Prevents malaria infection for 5 days.
    Yayo – Stimulant pleasure drug, addictive.
    Flake – Cheap, short high, very addictive.
    Wake-up – Improves work performance, addictive.
    Smokeleaf – Improved mood but worsened capacities. More hunger, slower movement. Can form dependence.
    Go-Juice – Synthetic futuristic combat drug. Boost speed and fighting capacity tremendously. Addictive.
    Luciferium – Glitterworld mechanites that give huge bonuses to most capacities. However, without repeated doses the user goes insane and dies. It is impossible to clear the addiction, and the drug is 100% addictive on one dose.
  • Drugs are produced in various ways, typically at the new Drug Lab building, from various precursor chemicals and growable crops. They require research to create.
Deep drilling
  • The map now spawns with clusters of underground resources. These can be accessed by building a deep scanner to find them, and then building deep drills on top of them, and then working the drills. This slowly produces the resource.
  • Deep drilling tech is at the end of the tech tree. This should mitigate late-game resource exhaustion problems.
Misc
  • Mood is now drawn subtly behind the pawn on the colonist readout at the top of the screen.
  • You can now produce medicine from herbal medicine, neutroamine (a precursor chemical you buy), and cloth. Requires research.
  • Added passive cooler building. Made of wood and low tech, it cools a room for a short time. Good for passing heat waves as a tribe.
  • Added a ‘copy building’ tool which lets you quickly select the designator for a building through an existing copy of that building.
  • Beer production now takes several stages: Colonists make wort (unfermented beer) at the brewer table, then leave it in fermenting barrels for a while, after which they can harvest it as beer.
  • Infestation can now only spawn under a thick roof.
  • Gear tab now shows aggregate stats about armor and comfy temperatures.
  • Raider steal a bit more often now.
  • Factored MapGeneratorDef apart into separate GenStepDefs which can be modded or inserted individually. This will allow modders to change the MapGenerator without blowing away each others’ changes.
  • Added alert: Need warm clothes.
  • Mods can now be dragged to reorder them in the mods page.
  • Re-tuned food finding algorithm.
  • Hunters will no longer hunt without a ranged weapon.
  • Debuffed corn a bit. **WTF DOES THIS MEAN STILL?**
  • Reworked trade interface to clearly state what kind of trader they are, and to list items they’re not willing to trade.
  • Reworked trader stock generators so traders carry and accept more sensible items for their type.
  • You can now request traders by calling allied factions. It costs silver.
  • Chance to spring known traps is reduced from 2.5% to 0.4%.
  • Friendly fire chances reduced by 60% for fly-by shots (shots that miss and land in the cell with a pawn have the same chance to hit as before).
  • Added a message when food spoils in storage.
  • Fix: Pawns don’t get ‘catharsis’ mood gainer thought after a mental break.
  • Rename PDW to Machine pistol.
  • Torches and campfires are no longer destroyed near-instantly by rain/snow. They instead consume fuel faster.
  • Torches consume fuel a bit faster overall.
  • Fueled generator consumes fuel faster and holds less fuel.
  • Plant sow and harvest are now slower.
  • Debuffed fists.
  • Reduced volume of idle animal calls at high time speeds.
  • Smithing is now a prerequisite for Machining research.
  • Added a toggleable view that shows roofs in glowing green.
  • Hundreds of other balance changes, text fixes, redesigns, and bug fixes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bemis posted:

How do you cut someone's heart installing a peg leg?
It could be the results of starting awrong procedure surgery and stopping before he finishes the heart transplant he thought he was doing. Amateur doctors in amateur circumstances are going to see a fair amount of these considering there's still a 0.0008% chance for expert doctors with state of the art administrative procedures.

Although it seems like it could use a re balancing of the probabilities that makes wrong side or nearby site errors more common than accidentally transplanting a heart when installing a peg leg.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

zedprime posted:

Although it seems like it could use a re balancing of the probabilities that makes wrong side or nearby site errors more common than accidentally transplanting a heart when installing a peg leg.

What the gently caress is this crazy poo poo, talking about not wanting to have hilariously random botched operations in Rimworld?!

e: if Zzzt! was funny somehow, maybe a lot fewer people would be using RT Fuses.

e again:

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah that is just a quick way to relocate furniture, it doesn't change it's statistics.

Do we know why some entities can't be uninstalled and moved and some can?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I've you've ever seen the episode of house where he writes: "NOT HIS LEG" on his leg...

Yeah, I've talked to patients that do that just to be safe.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
What's the point of letting you craft medicine if you still need an ingredient that can only be bought?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LonsomeSon posted:

Do we know why some entities can't be uninstalled and moved and some can?
I would guess it's the bill system causing a conflict but that's just a guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bunleigh posted:

What's the point of letting you craft medicine if you still need an ingredient that can only be bought?

The ingredient is more common and likely to be carried by traders/used in other recipes?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So with A15 does the thing with pawns hitting on each other every five seconds and getting a -82342349080300 rebuffed mood penalty still happen?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

LLSix posted:

Bit late, but I don't usually store food at all in that case. I just set my stove for only 10 simple meals. They keep for 3 days, which is enough for me. Granted if something like a blight happens, you'll need to rely on hunting for materials, but it's easy enough to keep up. Pemmican just seems like a bad ROI in comparison.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NatasDog posted:

Bit late, but I don't usually store food at all in that case. I just set my stove for only 10 simple meals. They keep for 3 days, which is enough for me. Granted if something like a blight happens, you'll need to rely on hunting for materials, but it's easy enough to keep up. Pemmican just seems like a bad ROI in comparison.

You still have to store the raw materials though, unless you are sustinence farming a tiny little plot and rarely have extra left over.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You still have to store the raw materials though, unless you are sustinence farming a tiny little plot and rarely have extra left over.

Planting a new tiny plot every day or two so they eventually cycle for constant food?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rice/corn keeps for quite a while without refrigeration. Certainly enough to get you through the winter.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
A boomalope died in the middle of my smokeleaf field, and the whole colony didn't get the mood boost.
I want a refund!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

No poo poo, I have failed to put a prosthetic leg on this one colonist 12 times now. They're in a hospital bed, I'm using the decent medicine, the doctor has good skills and is amplified a little by his clothing and modifications, but every time they touch this one colonist to put a drat leg back on the Doc turns into a blundering idiot and manages to leave the poor bugger with more wounds.

I give up on this guy, I really do. I'm just going to set up a medical bed in my killbox area, move the legless dude to it and just let nature take its course.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I had a mostly useless raider show up. I did knock him out, gave him no medicine and just let him go. 99% difficulty recruitment chance. It doesn't help that with the hospitality mod that visitors eat all my food. I don't need another useless mouth to feed that will do absolutely nothing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAmTheRad posted:

I had a mostly useless raider show up. I did knock him out, gave him no medicine and just let him go. 99% difficulty recruitment chance. It doesn't help that with the hospitality mod that visitors eat all my food. I don't need another useless mouth to feed that will do absolutely nothing.

We call them "organ donors." You don't get a faction boost for releasing raiders, they don't care. Might as well let him bleed out on the ground if you're not gonna harvest him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man I wish this game had Embrasures. It feels awkward to have a bunker that is really easy to storm into. Or even just regular windows.

Just some way to be able to fire out, but not allow passage

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Man I wish this game had Embrasures. It feels awkward to have a bunker that is really easy to storm into

Theres a mod for that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tindahbawx posted:

No poo poo, I have failed to put a prosthetic leg on this one colonist 12 times now. They're in a hospital bed, I'm using the decent medicine, the doctor has good skills and is amplified a little by his clothing and modifications, but every time they touch this one colonist to put a drat leg back on the Doc turns into a blundering idiot and manages to leave the poor bugger with more wounds.

I give up on this guy, I really do. I'm just going to set up a medical bed in my killbox area, move the legless dude to it and just let nature take its course.

I've noticed it's also sort of dependant on light and room, if you don't have lamps and the room is rather crowded the failure rate is higher. Granted it might also be the sterile floor modifier messing with it a bit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Squeegy posted:

We call them "organ donors." You don't get a faction boost for releasing raiders, they don't care. Might as well let him bleed out on the ground if you're not gonna harvest him.

Day 3 of a tribal start? Not going to butcher him when my entire tribe is already sad.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Basic usability 101: why doesn't this game give me a window with a scrollable list of all my colonists' skill levels right alongside the priorities list when I open the work UI? Not having that information at my fingertips without closing the window and clicking two more buttons to look at ONE colonist seems like a bafflingly large flaw for a part of the interface that's so core to playing the game. Routinely having to swap windows half a dozen times to get anything done in the work UI is putting a pretty big wall of tedium in front of my getting hooked on this game.

(or even as simple as a tooltip over each job type showing the top 3 or 5 or whatever many colonists for that job by skill level)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RIP Andy. also this game has good music

question: I see in people's videos and screenshots of weapons just laying around and I was wondering, is there any reason not to have all my dudes armed at all times? Like is there some kind of work or happiness penalty to being strapped when you're just trying to make some lovely meals?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 29, 2016

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
After a raid I usually go through the survivors and check for desirable traits and remaining/bionic limbs, if they haven't got anything desirable I leave them and let nature take its course.

I usually don't bother with organ harvesting and slavery due to the mood penalties, but last night I almost made an exception...

I had a colonist go chain berserk - I was half watching Peaky Blinders while playing and got through three episodes before finally deciding enough was enough. It started after his missus rejected his marriage proposal and his sister bit it when she tried to raid the colony, along with some other minor issues everyone was facing, his low break threshold meant he was constantly on edge - I was ok to deal with it the first dozen times, despite being non-violent he was good at crafting and growing, and at the very least was a hauler, so I figured he'd had a bad turn and he'd been around since the start so give him a chance.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the first dozen times, it was probably more. Eventually I got sick of his poo poo and stopped trying to subdue him with fists and started having everyone shoot the bastard, but he gave Rasputin a run for his money and just would not die. Over the course of his various rampages he gained various scars, lost an arm, two fingers, a couple of toes, a foot, and a kidney but the fucker just wouldn't die, by this stage he was getting closer to having the mood loss timers run out so I figured if the tough son of a bitch lived, with a very bionic limbs would be worth keeping around.

But when he ripped the ovaries out of one of the foxes I decided it was time to go out of my way to off the bastard.

Having him live in the atrium (read: killbox) for a season didn't work. I also considered having him accidentally get walled in somewhere... preferably with a cooler having it's heating side facing him, but eventually I decided the best way was to line him up with a bunch of surgeries with Johnny, our resident bloodlusted psychopath Johnny was very interested in medicine, but only had a skill of three, so I figured I'd give him an opportunity to practice.

When looking up the surgery list I found an option called "euthanise".

Huh.

And so after having two peg legs installed successfully without incident, Johnny smothered him with a pillow.

I think it comes from the same mod that added the genitals. When I put him down everyone only suffered a -2 loss to mood and while I know that's not working as intended, I like to think that after assaulting half the colony during his depressive period everyone had enough of that poo poo and when Johnny came out of the ER and said he died peacefully in his sleep everyone just went with it.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

Basic usability 101: why doesn't this game give me a window with a scrollable list of all my colonists' skill levels right alongside the priorities list when I open the work UI? Not having that information at my fingertips without closing the window and clicking two more buttons to look at ONE colonist seems like a bafflingly large flaw for a part of the interface that's so core to playing the game. Routinely having to swap windows half a dozen times to get anything done in the work UI is putting a pretty big wall of tedium in front of my getting hooked on this game.

(or even as simple as a tooltip over each job type showing the top 3 or 5 or whatever many colonists for that job by skill level)

The boxes in the work screen are shaded based on that colonist's skill level (brighter box == more skill), and you can mouse over the boxes to get the actual skill numbers.