Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
When it's time to take the plastic down you can mist it with water and everything'll stick instead of exploding into a horrible mess cloud the second you touch it. Other than that there's not much you can do. They should clean up most of their own mess, for the leftovers you either go through and dust everything or hire a cleaning service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Staying with the inlaws who live 3 miles away. Already have spare ultra high filtration filters, a Dyson vacuum with a HEPA rated filter, and our ductwork is getting replaced with the insulation job. Everything else cover with plastic and pray? I'm more worried about residual dust than "in progress" dust. Should we have one of those vacuum's in a truck come by and suck every surface off and outside?

75% of our wiring is not modern romex (which I realize is the brand, NM?) It's crumbling rubber and fabric coated wire from 1947. What is romex was done by someones uncle jimmy who overfilled boxes, left them uncovered, put dimmers on the fans, and didn't use pigtails where necessary. Also most rooms have 2 outlets at most, we have a GFCI (singular) on a dogleg as it doesn't interrupt anything but itself.

Garage is effectively 1 regular car or 2 ultra compacts if you use any of it for storage. The driveway is sort of an odd angle to get two cars in, I tried. A welder or car charger is very likely. (Though the welder would be for my wife and dad. He has a stable of them.) There is an extra room in the back as well. If you squint you can see exposed romex ~4' off the ground on the left. This runs into a semi-concealed (but accessible I believe, it's reachable to attach a cover with a screwdriver) jbox that doesn't have a cover and may not have anything securing the wire but I haven't look in a while. The garage is currently only attached to the house by conduit and cement. All of this is getting fixed and a city inspector will see it.

(Picture was from the day I got the keys to the house a year ago. There is now more... stuff. Note all that paint with legible paint codes!)

I take it go up to 100A / higher gauge wire? Run length main to sub is ~50' but I haven't measured it. Roughly double that to reach the furthest corner or the room behind the garage from the subpanel via the walls.

Oh and our meter is handily 7' off the ground. The handy pamphlet SCE gave us and meter spot sticker both say that 4'0" to 6'3" to center is code.

To my knowledge they are, but that's why I'm asking for sample models. I will double check. As I've understood it from this thread AFCI breakers, GFCI outlets in wet areas/garage. I want exactly 0 punch list items from our inspector when this is done.

I wouldn't know about your allergy problems, mine are only pollen, which is outside.

You got it backwards. Electrical wiring is called NM but is also called Romex, a manufacturer of NM, just like Kleenex or Bandaid.

The lack of outlets might just be from the size of your place. Old houses are typically smaller. The book dictates a maximum spacing of outlets every 12 feet in most rooms.

AFCIs are required in almost all living spaces now, while GFCIs are required in all wet or outdoor areas. Some places like kitchen countertops now require both of them. Usually that means an AFCI breaker with a GFCI outlet, or using one of the brand new "dual function" breakers. The sections in the codebook are 210.12 and 210.8 respectively.

Fake edit: I did the math, and it looks like the new dual function breakers actually are more cost effective if you do need both types of protection on a circuit, instead of buying a separate breaker and outlet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Great, thanks for the tips. Any tips on sub-panel sizing in the garage, or should I just ask the electrician?

(And yes, Romex® brand NM wire.)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

There sure is: get a hotel room or stay at a friend's place. Another option would be to replace your furnace air filter with a really good one before the work happens, then consider it sacrificial. Once all the dust has settled, start cleaning.

I remember that post, kinda. How much of your existing wiring is reusable? Any aluminum that needs replacing?

How many bays do you have in your garage? You may want to plan ahead for electric car chargers in each bay. The fastest chargers take 40 amps each. How handy are you? Will you want to be doing any big 240v work out there, like a welder?

Also, make sure your electrician does all your AFCI and GFCI updates. Those 2 are probably the biggest changes since your wiring was first installed.

40A? The Tesla chargers go up to 100A now (page 6 or 16 here). We're going to be upgrading to 200A service soon (our current panel has some water damage). I've just been planning a 100A subpanel in the garage, because I figure the extra cost is pretty trivial as compared to the cost of getting someone out to do it again in the future.

While I'm thinking of it, are whole house surge protectors generally worth it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

devicenull posted:

40A? The Tesla chargers go up to 100A now (page 6 or 16 here).
While I'm thinking of it, are whole house surge protectors generally worth it?

Dang, I haven't been keeping up. That's actually pretty impressive.

Define "worth it". Surge protectors of any type are one of those things where it's nice to have and gives you reassurance, but you'll probably never need it considering the odds. It really comes down to how much your piece of mind is worth to you. That being said, whole house surge protectors are better suited to protecting the bigger things in your house, like appliances. If you get one with the right features, they can protect other surge paths into your home besides the power lines, like your TV/phone/data. I would still get surge protectors near your end devices though to really protect them, especially electronics.

Also, I don't know if they ever fixed it, but surge protectors from over 6 years ago that claimed to protect ethernet cables only protected pairs 2 and 3, while 1 and 4 weren't even connected inside. That means they effectively blocked gigabit ethernet.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 25, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Also, I don't know if they ever fixed it, but surge protectors from over 6 years ago that claimed to protect ethernet cables only protected pairs 2 and 3, while 1 and 4 weren't even connected inside. That means they effectively blocked gigabit ethernet.

CSMA/CD is basically a thing of the past with switches. Most will connect at 1gig on 2 pairs of cat3 even if they aren't supposed to work since most runs are well below the 100 meter limit. You won't get reliable POE at the higher currents if that is a concern, notably if you have a high frequency ballast within eyeshot. 1000Base-TX removed the need for pairs 3 and 4.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

H110Hawk posted:

CSMA/CD is basically a thing of the past with switches.
True, but I'm curious why you brought this up in a response on the subject of ethernet cable pairs.

quote:

Most will connect at 1gig on 2 pairs of cat3 even if they aren't supposed to work since most runs are well below the 100 meter limit.
If the two pairs used for autonegotiation are connected most devices will negotiate gigabit. They will then fail to work because they're trying to use all four pairs in gigabit mode.

quote:

1000Base-TX removed the need for pairs 3 and 4.
1000Base-TX two-pair gigabit (TIA/EIA-854) is almost nonexistent in the real world. 1000Base-T (IEEE 802.3ab) four-pair gigabit is the one everyone actually uses.

1000Base-TX allowed for cheaper interfaces, not requiring echo cancellation and other things, but required Cat6 cable where 1000Base-T could run for the most part on the same Cat5 people already had for their 100mbit network. Being able to use half the pairs in the cable doesn't really matter that much if you have to rewire the whole place anyways. It's basically a choice between cheaper endpoints and cheaper infrastructure, and cheaper infrastructure won.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

CSMA/CD is basically a thing of the past with switches. Most will connect at 1gig on 2 pairs of cat3 even if they aren't supposed to work since most runs are well below the 100 meter limit. You won't get reliable POE at the higher currents if that is a concern, notably if you have a high frequency ballast within eyeshot. 1000Base-TX removed the need for pairs 3 and 4.

Look at this rear end in a top hat, he's wrong on the internet.

wolrah posted:

True, but I'm curious why you brought this up in a response on the subject of ethernet cable pairs.

If the two pairs used for autonegotiation are connected most devices will negotiate gigabit. They will then fail to work because they're trying to use all four pairs in gigabit mode.

Fair enough. Oops.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Dang, I haven't been keeping up. That's actually pretty impressive.

Define "worth it". Surge protectors of any type are one of those things where it's nice to have and gives you reassurance, but you'll probably never need it considering the odds. It really comes down to how much your piece of mind is worth to you. That being said, whole house surge protectors are better suited to protecting the bigger things in your house, like appliances. If you get one with the right features, they can protect other surge paths into your home besides the power lines, like your TV/phone/data. I would still get surge protectors near your end devices though to really protect them, especially electronics.

Not really sure what I meant by "worth it". I'm still planning what I'm looking for when I upgrade my service... it'll currently be a 200A panel, with a 100A subpanel in the garage. Whole house surge protector seems like it would be a good thing to put in at the same time.

Though, it also looks like it's well within my ability to install later, so maybe paying a pro to do it isn't worth it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

H110Hawk posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat, he's wrong on the internet.

Fair enough. Oops.

Not trying to be a dick, just wanted to make sure no one assumed their old two-pair capable surge protector would work with their gigabit interface unless they actually happened to have a 1000Base-TX setup. The similar naming and the fact that 100Mbit was TX has led to a lot of mislabeled hardware on the internet claiming 1000Base-TX on 1000Base-T gear. I'm honestly not sure 1000Base-TX actually existed in a mainstream product.

Being prone to occasionally spew random facts where they're kind of off topic I'm legitimately curious about that part, that wasn't sarcastic.

Tone in text is hard.

Of course if you're intending a more joking tone with this and I'm taking it wrong, see previous sentence.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wolrah posted:

Not trying to be a dick, just wanted to make sure no one assumed their old two-pair capable surge protector would work with their gigabit interface unless they actually happened to have a 1000Base-TX setup. The similar naming and the fact that 100Mbit was TX has led to a lot of mislabeled hardware on the internet claiming 1000Base-TX on 1000Base-T gear. I'm honestly not sure 1000Base-TX actually existed in a mainstream product.

Being prone to occasionally spew random facts where they're kind of off topic I'm legitimately curious about that part, that wasn't sarcastic.

Tone in text is hard.

Of course if you're intending a more joking tone with this and I'm taking it wrong, see previous sentence.

It was a joke, and I completely agree. I lurned something I'm going to reforget in a year. I am not afraid of being corrected on the internet. It's a common occurrence. The last time I was taught about ethernet those pairs were used for those function. I'm looking forward to the 2.5ghz base bands coming out. 2.5x the speed on the same cables!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

kid sinister posted:

There sure is: get a hotel room or stay at a friend's place. Another option would be to replace your furnace air filter with a really good one before the work happens, then consider it sacrificial. Once all the dust has settled, start cleaning.

If there's that much crap in the air a duct cleaning afterwards may be a good idea too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a way to pay a reasonable amount extra to somehow keep dust under control? We both have asthma, and plaster dust is low on my list of things to have coating the whole house.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-Box-Fan-3733/100405665

plus

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-20-in-x-20-in-x-1-in-Allergen-Plus-Pleated-FPR-7-Air-Filter-3-Pack-90703-012020/204778424 (or any sufficient 20" x 20" furnace filter)

plus

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Assorted-Length-Bungee-Cords-24-Pack-JBS24VP/202358514

A lot of woodworkers use something similar to keep the dust down.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

n0tqu1tesane posted:

[MacGyver air cleaner]

Holy poo poo. I'd considered something like that before but I figured there was no way a cheap fan could pull air through the filter.

With the drought around here my apartment complex has let all the grass and landscaping die and they've been slowly digging it up and replacing it with stuff that doesn't take so much water. The dust has been driving me insane for months.

Be right back, time to hit Depot.

edit: got one in every window now for way less than the air purifiers I was looking at, thanks!

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 27, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Do I place this near work sites, "around the house" where I want dust not to be, or "yes" ? Thanks by the way.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Do I place this near work sites, "around the house" where I want dust not to be, or "yes" ? Thanks by the way.

I have four or five in my garage wood shop. I use cheap masking tape instead of bungee cords to seal better. Use a shop vac to clean filters. Point away from dust source.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Anywhere the dust is in the air. Near the work sites would be best, that way it can catch the dust before it settles somewhere.

Also, for better efficiency, a few minutes with some spare cardboard and duct tape probably wouldn't hurt.

http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2013/06/better-box-fan-air-purifier.html

EDIT: Also, after you're done with construction, you can use some beef jerky.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Box-Fan-Jerky/

With clean air filters, of course.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

EDIT: Also, after you're done with construction, you can use some beef jerky.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Box-Fan-Jerky/

With clean air filters, of course.

Works better with some dehydrator liners to sandwich the meat in. I use the same setup for drying herbs when things get a little out of control in the garden.

But making your entire house smell like meat is way better than basil and poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bought NordicPure 20x20x1 Pleated Air Filters [MERV 8] Qty 12 + 3 of those fans. Plaster dust beef jerky here I come. I resisted buying nordicpure intimate personal lubricant and cookies.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Bought NordicPure 20x20x1 Pleated Air Filters [MERV 8] Qty 12 + 3 of those fans. Plaster dust beef jerky here I come. I resisted buying nordicpure intimate personal lubricant and cookies.

Get the 20x20x2 filters next time. More surface area gives you more airflow.

Haven't found them in stores, but if you're already getting them online they're pretty easy to find.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Get the 20x20x2 filters next time. More surface area gives you more airflow.

Haven't found them in stores, but if you're already getting them online they're pretty easy to find.

Emailed asking if I can swap them out with 2" filters.

Edit: Swapped.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2016

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Is there a NEC-approved method for putting a 'semi-permanent' power strip at a conference table in an office environment? Right now we've got an extension cord with a tri-tap run from a wall outlet. It's about a 10'-15' run from the outlet to the table.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kelvron posted:

Is there a NEC-approved method for putting a 'semi-permanent' power strip at a conference table in an office environment? Right now we've got an extension cord with a tri-tap run from a wall outlet. It's about a 10'-15' run from the outlet to the table.

Flat-conductor cable. Usually there's a wiremold-looking box going from an existing outlet to the floor, a transition piece to the FCC, then an outlet end at your furniture.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 30, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kelvron posted:

Well, surge protectors are permitted for always being in use. I'd just get one with a 12 to 15 foot cord, then protect the cord with some rubber floor wire mold.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, here's a great electrical life-hack! Run mains voltage through your cup of tea to heat the water!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q23WC-z4jMc

(Skip to 2:37)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Hey guys, here's a great electrical life-hack! Run mains voltage through your cup of tea to heat the water!!!!

Somehow that seems worse when accompanied with razors.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
A single dad found this one weird old tip to keep evolution rolling. Sparkys hate him!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm not sure whether that or the trick for overcooking the holy poo poo out of a perfectly good piece of fish is dumber.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I have a ton of old 2 prong outlets throughout the house. We've also just started baby proofing everything and the slide covers won't fit on these old outlets. 

With that being said, one baby proofing guy said GFCis don't require slide covers. and I kind of recall someone saying that for going from 2 prong non grounded to 3, i should be doing GFCis anyways? 

Is all this correct? 

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

So I have a ton of old 2 prong outlets throughout the house. We've also just started baby proofing everything and the slide covers won't fit on these old outlets. 

With that being said, one baby proofing guy said GFCis don't require slide covers. and I kind of recall someone saying that for going from 2 prong non grounded to 3, i should be doing GFCis anyways? 

Is all this correct? 

I wrote up a 3 prong upgrade post that's linked in the OP for all those questions. Cross your fingers and check my post out, you might just be able to do one of the methods for having actual grounded wiring. You could also find a situation where only some circuits have ground wires, like the kitchen and bathrooms. If you don't though, you're right in that GFCIs are one of the legal 3 prong upgrade methods.

As for all the baby proofing questions, tamper resistant outlets have been required since 2008, including GFCIs. Basically, they have shutters built into the slot prongs that open only if you insert the 2 prongs of a plug.

If you don't feel like upgrading outlets right now, you always got the single socket baby proofers, the 2 prong plastic jobs that are hard as hell to pry out. Just use a pair per duplex and baby should be fine. They will still work even if your 2 prong outlets are spaced different from a modern 3 prong outlet.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mastershakeman is in Illinois, the likelihood that your conduit was used as a ground at the very least is incredibly high. My home is over 100 years old, the wiring probably 50, and it has a working ground (though Chicago proper's codes have been more strict for a longer time).

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 4, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

minivanmegafun posted:

mastershakeman is in Illinois, the likelihood that your conduit was used as a ground at the very least is incredibly high. My home is over 100 years old, the wiring probably 50, and it has a working ground (though Chicago proper's codes have been more strict for a longer time).

I always heard that Chicago loves conduit. The nice thing about conduit is that even if it can't be used as a ground by itself, you can always use it to fish a new ground wire to where it's needed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I always heard that Chicago loves conduit. The nice thing about conduit is that even if it can't be used as a ground by itself, you can always use it to fish a new ground wire to where it's needed.

If you go way back (like my house) you find BX rather than conduit, but any new builds are EMT or better all the way. I'm looking forward to tearing all these walls down and doing it right :getin:

ok mostly right, Official Chicago Building Code is that a licensed electrician must do everything electrical full stop. I'll at least run the conduit under the occasional supervision of an electrician friend of mine

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Otteration posted:

I have four or five in my garage wood shop. I use cheap masking tape instead of bungee cords to seal better. Use a shop vac to clean filters. Point away from dust source.

Motronic posted:

Works better with some dehydrator liners to sandwich the meat in. I use the same setup for drying herbs when things get a little out of control in the garden.

But making your entire house smell like meat is way better than basil and poo poo.

Don't drink and surf the nordicpure website, you'll wind up with a 12-pack:

There are 3 of those around the house now, sealed with packing tape. Hopefully they are actually filtery enough to get whatever awful plaster dust is floating around. We vac'd the whole house and any piles we could find with our HEPA-filter vacuum first. Bad news: leaded jerky will have to wait, the only room in the house that tested positive we managed to have them not damage any plaster by going in through other walls.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So tamper resistant outlets, designed to prevent children from electrocuting themselves by requiring both sides of the outlet socket to be depressed simultaneously... As soon as a dumbass kid knows this, doesn't it necessitate having to use both of their hands to experiment with electricity, thereby exposing themselves in the most vulnerable across-the-chest circuit configuration?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

baquerd posted:

So tamper resistant outlets, designed to prevent children from electrocuting themselves by requiring both sides of the outlet socket to be depressed simultaneously... As soon as a dumbass kid knows this, doesn't it necessitate having to use both of their hands to experiment with electricity, thereby exposing themselves in the most vulnerable across-the-chest circuit configuration?

Yes. 8-year-olds are about the youngest who can display this kind of multi-step logic. They can also be communicated with as though they were human beings. Once your kids are old enough to figure out how to kill themselves, you can tell them that it's a bad idea to kill themselves. Or not.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

baquerd posted:

In addition to the "no, your kids should be old enough to understand at that point" there's another benefit. We have TR outlets so we never made a big fuss of touching outlets there. He's a young toddler but has no interest in touching/sticking things in empty outlets because he's learned that they're boring.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

minivanmegafun posted:

Official Chicago Building Code is that a licensed electrician must do everything electrical full stop.

drat. Everything? Even to replace like a broken switch?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the TR help. Another question - I don't seem to have any ground wires in my house - is this a problem even if all the circuits are GFCI protected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

baquerd posted:

Thanks for the TR help. Another question - I don't seem to have any ground wires in my house - is this a problem even if all the circuits are GFCI protected?

Most likely not. Some surge suppressors actually need that prong to suppress. Some older major appliances with big motors can fool GFCIs with false positives and cause them to trip. It's mostly fridges, washing machines and vacuums that do that.