Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Both are valid ways to end a game. I prefer FO4 tho

I think if the gunplay and sheer density of poo poo on the map (which may not be fair, as NV is in a desert after all) were worse in 4 I'd prefer NV.

Both fine games.

I miss alternate ammo types from NV - I'm not sure why they didn't keep that concept in FO4 given the increased focus on the FPS aspect. I'm also not super sold on the SPECIAL/perk system in FO4 - it takes away some of the distinctness of a character when you can just kind of get everything eventually.

The layout of the world is a lot more interesting in FO4 though. I love the verticality of the downtown area which is something that neither NV or FO3 really did. Plus the general polish of FO4's engine over the jankiness of NV just kind of makes it more enjoyable to actually play. I feel like the ideal Fallout game would be a real joint collaboration between Obsidian and Bethesda but that seems unlikely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
guys i am considering harvesting hairs from my nutsack and using them on my chin

im not asking for advice i just thought you might like an update

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gorilla glue will work better for keeping it there, they reverse engineered it from the natural adhesive gorillas produce to keep their hair in place.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

2house2fly posted:

If it's possible to revert to a pre-ending state then it's not an ending. Batman Vs Superman doesn't have an ending, for example, nor does Fahrenheit 451.

I hate to interrupt this riveting conversation but going back to this for a second doesn't Fahrenheit 451 end with everyone dying in a nuclear war? It's been a good 15 years since I last read the book but I seem to remember the protagonist escaping the city just in time to watch everyone get vaporized.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well the book doesn't end at all, but the last few pages do have the city getting annihilated by bombs, as I recall it didn't straight up say they were nukes so it might have been a Dresden situation.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

...I'm not sure why they didn't keep that concept in FO4...

Because a different studio developed NV, and Bethesda probably wanted to recycle as much of their last game as possible. That's probably also why NV primarily uses scalar damage reduction instead of percentages like FO3/4. I miss being completely impervious to small arms attacks while in power armor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rarbatrol posted:

Because a different studio developed NV, and Bethesda probably wanted to recycle as much of their last game as possible. That's probably also why NV primarily uses scalar damage reduction instead of percentages like FO3/4. I miss being completely impervious to small arms attacks while in power armor.

Yeah but they did take other ideas from NV like weapon mods and iron sight aiming, as well as of course all the Project Nevada stuff like dynamic crosshairs and a grenade hotkey and so on. Admittedly the stuff they took from NV started off as stuff that was modded in to FO3, but still.

The way that damage works in FO4 is weird because it's percentage based but it's not like the stupid system in FO3 where it was literally just "10 protection = 10% less damage" so you basically had a load of functionally identical clothing with maybe 1-2% difference in damage reduction between them, plus power armour. In FO4 it's a system based on the ratio between protection and base damage, with a 1:1 ratio being 50% reduction and then diminishing returns as protection gets higher.

I actually don't mind the concept behind the system FO4 uses even if it's kind of unintuitive, because it means there's no magical break point for protection and instead more is always better, but differences between lower values can still be significant. NV's system was a lot simpler to understand at a glance though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rarbatrol posted:

I miss being completely impervious to small arms attacks while in power armor.

There's a mod for that, just fwiw.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I miss alternate ammo types from NV - I'm not sure why they didn't keep that concept in FO4 given the increased focus on the FPS aspect. I'm also not super sold on the SPECIAL/perk system in FO4 - it takes away some of the distinctness of a character when you can just kind of get everything eventually.

The layout of the world is a lot more interesting in FO4 though. I love the verticality of the downtown area which is something that neither NV or FO3 really did. Plus the general polish of FO4's engine over the jankiness of NV just kind of makes it more enjoyable to actually play. I feel like the ideal Fallout game would be a real joint collaboration between Obsidian and Bethesda but that seems unlikely to happen.

The ammo is cooked into the legendary affixes and/or perks. It's not ideal IMHO but less ammo to juggle IS kind of nice in the more brutal survival mode

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Oh Christ, I can smell the neckbeard in the tone of his voice... Here he is, talking about the beauty and art of the game while he's sprinting through wasting alpha deathclaws and behemoth with an OP gun without breaking a sweat. There is zero sense of danger.

:goonsay: "Tolstoy once said..."

Azhais posted:

Welcome to any character past 50
See, I've always thought that it was a good idea to have a level cap such as in Fallout 3, and found it a bit odd they kept raising the level cap with DLCs.

I'm doing a slightly different run in my heavily modded FO4. Create your own difficulty with 0.7x damage for me, 2.0x for NPCs, Weapon Balance Overhaul and a few weapon mods (which I balanced to WBO).

Also, I purposely do not take any damage resistance perks at all, and only wear power armor when it is totally necessary. I think my armor value is like... 10 or so. I am currently at level 30, and still have to be extra careful during firefights as two or three shots from a raider can usually spell disaster. Had a rather amusing moment where I thought I had cleared out a gunner encampment, and started looting. Suddenly, I heard "EEEAAARGH!", and promptly got oneshotted by a gunner with a wrench.

Oh, and protectrons with nailguns are my bane.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think everyone remembers the modded version of New Vegas they played

I beat New Vegas at least three times before I even touched the mods. I only forced myself to beat Fallout 3 after turning it into a mod for Fallout New Vegas.

So technically I didn't even beat Fallout 3, I beat an add-on for New Vegas.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how long is far harbor dlc

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I dunno, I put like 8 hours into it jetpacking around in an X-01

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Eonwe posted:

no Survival mode?

5-8 hours if you're a completionist

Survival?

easily 15 hours because of all the loving walking

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
never found survival to be fun personally

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Eonwe posted:

I like it for the ammo weight and making some items useful, like water.

Also it makes playing as a murderous junkie a bit more complicated, since drugs in the fallout universe just delete all water from your body.

I also got a mod that allows you to fast travel between estabilished settlements, so it eliminates a bit of that boring poo poo.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, the mod that allows you to fast travel from settlement to settlement by motorcycle or car is great and you still have to craft fuel from oil so it's not too easy. It turns Survival into "good ideas but bad implementation" into a seriously challenging and fun way to play.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eonwe posted:

survival modes tacked onto games that weren't built around them are always my least favorite features of video games, I basically just stole the damage adjustment values and tweaked them a bit and I've been having a blast

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Coolguye posted:

if the biggest criticism you can level at a game is 'it feels easy after i've done mostly everything' then i think the game is pretty fundamentally worth playing

Yeah, being over-leveled is definitely a choice in Bethesda games. If anything, my criticism would be that Diamond City, like D.C. in FO3, is in the far corner of the map, surrounded by other dangers, but you're intended to run there as fast as you can while the game throws obstacles and side quests in your way until you get bored and say, "I'm level 40 now, guess I'll see what all the fuss is about --- oh my, look at all the things :aaa: " Even New Vegas kinda-sorta did that, although it was merely a winding road through half the map (or a speedrunner's shortcut if you were really determined).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If anything, my criticism would be that Diamond City, like D.C. in FO3, is in the far corner of the map, surrounded by other dangers, but you're intended to run there as fast as you can while the game throws obstacles and side quests in your way until you get bored...

It's... it's right in the middle of the map... and the stuff around it is not too difficult to fight with even mildly upgraded pipe weapons. Mostly lovely bandits and your first encounters with Super Mutants. If you can't handle like, what, I think three side-quests that you don't even have to do right away on the way there I don't know what to say.

I mean there's plenty of criticism you can level at FO4 but this one's just baffling.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 28, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I looked at the map, and you're right that it's closer than I thought, although it's only in the "middle" if you count the huge empty ocean to the east.

But I'm very curious how you get there without running into all the legendary sentry bots and super mutants and deathclaws I found every time I tried to push down there.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Well the book doesn't end at all, but the last few pages do have the city getting annihilated by bombs, as I recall it didn't straight up say they were nukes so it might have been a Dresden situation.

Humanity definitely survives, the ending stresses that the people who actually still have brains manage to see the end coming and take preparations to be elsewhere when it hits. As well as start brainstorming how they are going to be rebuild poo poo once things die down a bit. Definitely quite a lot of people die, though.

I suppose it's not unlike Fallout in that sense.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

But I'm very curious how you get there without running into all the legendary sentry bots and super mutants and deathclaws I found every time I tried to push down there.

Follow roads?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There is a corridor of lower level enemies between Sanctuary and Diamond City, you could probably run straight there if you wanted to after leaving Vault 111. In a few cases where I've been unlucky I've run into a mirelurk hunter but I don't recall there being any areas where deathclaws spawn with the exception of the scripted fight in Concord or if you strayed way to the east and run into the one that hangs out in Old Gullet Sinkhole. Likewise the only Sentry Bot I know of is the one that hangs out around the National Guard Armory waiting to say "hi" after you loot it - something you can either hold off doing or use one of the two power armour suits that are nearby.

Rivet City and New Vegas were a hell of a lot harder to reach at a low level from what I do remember about both of the previous games.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I looked at the map, and you're right that it's closer than I thought, although it's only in the "middle" if you count the huge empty ocean to the east.

If you follow the roads, there is very little danger between Concord and Diamond City.

I go from Concord to the drumlin diner, where you might fight the drug dealers if you want to. Then I head straight to greygarden, and maybe find a few dogs along the way. Then from Greygarden to the police station, which I can just walk around if I don't want to help Danse at the moment, and then to Diamond city. You can walk from the police station (with Paladin Danse) straight down the road to diamond city and generally encounter zero enemies until you come across the diamond city guards fighting the supermutants, and you can just run on by and ignore that.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Finally got Benevolent Leader, celebrated by mininuking Sanctuary and murdering everybody in Goodneighbor, Diamond City and every living thing I see from now on.

Killing Diamond City was the most fun I've had, until a random scientist in a house was marked as essential because she fixes Liberty Prime if you join Brotherhood of steel and somehow mess up things with Madison Li. It's not as bad as Skyrim, but christ every NPC that's barely related to the main stories is marked as essential forever. :goleft:

Radiant quests are the worst garbage and they're everywhere in FO4.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Spergminer posted:

Finally got Benevolent Leader, celebrated by mininuking Sanctuary and murdering everybody in Goodneighbor, Diamond City and every living thing I see from now on.

Killing Diamond City was the most fun I've had, until a random scientist in a house was marked as essential because she fixes Liberty Prime if you join Brotherhood of steel and somehow mess up things with Madison Li. It's not as bad as Skyrim, but christ every NPC that's barely related to the main stories is marked as essential forever. :goleft:

Radiant quests are the worst garbage and they're everywhere in FO4.

I didn't know you could mess things up with Madison Li!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Wee Bairns posted:

I didn't know you could mess things up with Madison Li!
At the very least you can get banned from the institute before recruiting her.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's nice to know the lesbian scientists have a purpose other than giving you 50xp for finding a bloatfly gland tho

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I previously thought that settlers / followers would not take weapons out of player-constructed containers when a settlement was under attack. I just discovered this is wrong, by attacking my own settlers and having them take weapons out of a box that I made to use against me.

How do you all deal with this, to protect your loot hoard from meddling with by settlers?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I keep a settlement, usually Red Rocket, all to myself to stash my garbage hoard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I keep a settlement, usually Red Rocket, all to myself to stash my garbage hoard.

Yeah, I think this is probably the intended method - I do it too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Unfortunately not much of a solution in Survival (I get that a lot of you don't like it).

Would be nice to have some, any kind of progress update on PS4 mods, Bethesda. It was "we promise June, June, hopefully June, June if we can" but since the delay: nothing (afaik).

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I like survival, but gently caress it for far harbor

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

pmchem posted:

I previously thought that settlers / followers would not take weapons out of player-constructed containers when a settlement was under attack. I just discovered this is wrong, by attacking my own settlers and having them take weapons out of a box that I made to use against me.

How do you all deal with this, to protect your loot hoard from meddling with by settlers?

A locked door, or a place that requires jumping to get to.

You can, for example, put a container on the roof of the main house in Sanctuary, then build stairs that require you to jump to the roof to access.

If you have Wasteland Workshop, you can gently caress around with powered doors and switches to make a room that only you, the One That Knows How to Flip Switches, can open.

Halser fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2016

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Halser posted:

A locked door, or a place that requires jumping to get to.

You can, for example, put a container on the roof of the main house in Sanctuary, then build stairs that require you to jump to the roof to access.

If you have Wasteland Workshop, you can gently caress around with powered doors and switches to make a room that only you, the One That Knows How to Flip Switches, can open.

Hmm I'll have to look into the workshop's powered doors, never tried them. Don't see another way outside of mods or console. Using the roof is questionable, I've seen settlers up there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can build a closed off room, with no doorway walls, accessing what's inside by "lifting" a wall in workshop mode (you don't even have to place it elsewhere - it'll be passable as long as it's "picked up").

I wanted to do this in Hangman's Alley, but space considerations made it impracticable/a hassle.

e:I never tested if the AI could spawn inside inaccessible rooms, though

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 29, 2016

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I think using an elevator does the same thing. I like to build an elevator and use the second floor as my personal apartment.

Will settlers take a weapon if there's no ammo around for it?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
My main base is in Sanctuary and I've never had a problem with Settlers grabbing my weapons. But I may have avoided this being a problem by:

1. No weapons in the workshop container
2. Weapons and Ammo in separate containers
3. I handed out 10mm pistols and some rifles to the settlers a long time ago.

I actually was under the impression that settlers couldn't get into user-created containers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

GamingHyena posted:

I think using an elevator does the same thing. I like to build an elevator and use the second floor as my personal apartment.

Will settlers take a weapon if there's no ammo around for it?

nope.

It's not that bad if they do, though. They'll only take weapons that give them infinite ammo if they have one round of that weapon. You'll never lose resources, provided the settler doesn't die in a hidden ditch and despawns. But that's kinda rare, considering they're semi-essential.

The main pain is finding the criminal, I guess.

• Locked thread