Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IMO it is irresponsible to capitalize "internet" as this elevates the medium above others, which it does not deserve.

We don't capitalize "the radio", "the newspaper", or "on television"; "the internet" should be treated in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The reason you used to capitalize the Internet was that there used to be multiple other small time internets - all of which have since been incorporated into just the one, or have shut down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NESguerilla posted:

What is the appeal of Counter Strike in 2016? I'm not calling it bad, but from what I have played and seen of it I don't understand why people still care about it.

I can't speak to Counter-Strike specifically -- more of a UT/Quake guy, and also more of a FG/RTS player than an FPS player to begin with -- but there's been a consistent trend in PvP games across basically every genre towards accessibility, often at the expense of competitive depth. Some folks have the spleen to stick with games that are better-designed (mechanically speaking) even though they're ugly, lack quality of life features, and eventually start running into compatibility issues.

Personally I just play Overwatch and complain a lot. :v:

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Is there a Tivo equivalent that's not as expensive? I'd need it to record cable shows.

Sort of, but it depends on how adept you are with tech, what playback devices you may already have handy, and how much cheaper you need.

We'll start from the first position: A Tivo Bolt with lifetime subscription is ~$750 ($200 for the 500GB box and $550 for the lifetime service). I don't know your exact cable service, but we'll call an HD DVR rental from your cable company $15 a month, since that seems to be about standard. That means the Tivo becomes cheaper after 50 months (not counting inflation and time value of money and such). We'll account for bumps in cable service and call it 4 years. We're attempting to find some device that can handle cablecard tuning and comes in cheaper than, let's say, $700 to account for sales/promotions.

I use a combination of the Silicon Dust HDHomeRunPrime and Emby server with assorted playback devices. The basic idea is this: The HDHomeRun Prime is a network CableCard tuner. It has a coax cable jack, and ethernet jack, and a socket for a CableCard. CableCards are devices that you get from your cable company that, simplistically, work like the SIM card in your phone but for your cable service. It has a unique serial number that the cable company can use to tell which channels you should and shouldn't have (there's more to it, but that's the general idea). The cable company is required by law to give you one of these if you request it, and it can be used in place of a standard box, so in most cases you will get one for free with service or for a couple of dollars.

Emby is a server/client system that acts as a media organizer and DVR. The server can run on some pretty lightweight PC Hardware, so if you have an ~4 year old PC kicking around or don't mind having it run on your main PC, you should be fine (note that you probably won't want to run it on a laptop your frequently take with you, as it can't connect to the tuner when it's not in your house. You might want to budget $100 or so for a big hard drive to hold all the shows you record.

Emby is $100 for lifetime service, an HDHomeRun is $125 to $150, and you'll need a subscription to Schedules Direct (a service that provides the channel/show data), which runs $25 per year. So we're at basically at $250 (or $350 if you bought a big hard drive). If you need to buy a dedicated PC for the task, you're looking at another $200 or so, but you could probably skip the additional drive since the new PC would probably be fine. We'll say $250-$450, depending on whether you need a new PC to act as server.

Next, you need a playback device on your TV. Emby can stream to all kinds of things, and the playback software is free (effectively it's part of the lifetime service fee). If you already have a Roku, Amazon FireTV, Android TV, XBox One, or a few other streaming devices on your TV, you're set. There's Emby software for all of them. If you have a home theater PC, great - the Emby Theater interface is awesome and even does a really slick emulator front-end as well. Certain smart TVs have the software available as well, so you don't even need a separate box. The newest AppleTV doesn't yet support live TV in emby, but it is allegedly coming soon. PS3 and PS4 can sort of work with Emby (they playback just fine, but they treat recorded shows and live TV channels as DLNA streaming sources, so you won't see a nice program guide and can't set up stuff to record but can playback recorded shows just fine). If you need to buy one of these devices, you can budget an additional $100 here, which puts you around $450 all total.

The very nice part is that Emby scales to multiple TVs just by adding another streaming box. So where you get to pay the cable company another $15 per month for another HD DVR or pay Tivo another $750 per box, you can just drop another $70-$100 streaming device on the next TV can call it done.

The downside? Well, you need to be reasonably tech adept to set it up. It's pretty darn straight forward and uses a "config wizard" after installation, but it's also a case of "you're on your own if something breaks." The forums are great and the developer team is very responsive, but you're still the last step in the process. Also, some people have issues with CableCard service from their Cable provider (providers claim they don't provide it, don't know what it is, it never seems to work right, etc.). But generally speaking, I find it to be a great system.

You can use emby server for free - the apps for various devices don't work unless you buy the subscription, but you can use it from within a web browser and test it out just fine. If you want to give this setup a shot, you'll want to buy the HDHomeRun from somewhere that has a flexible return policy. Donwload Emby Server, set it up to test via your web browser, and pay $6 for a two-month schedule subscription. You can decide at that point if you think it's worth paying for the extra stuff.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the name of the kind of hat the Joker wears in Burton's Batman?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kurtofan posted:

What's the name of the kind of hat the Joker wears in Burton's Batman?

I had to dig through threads on a hat enthusiast site to find the answer, looks like Iberian Gaucho is closest to it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was shopping for an extra long HDMI cable and fell into a hole looking at the updates in the standard HDMI specs. One thing that stood out to me was ethernet over HDMI added in 1.4.

What possible use would this ever have? I've seriously wracked my brain trying to figure out what problem you would need a network connection over your video cable to solve and can't come up with anything. I'm not posting a complaint about some seemingly useless spec, I'm genuinely trying to understand the use case these engineers were trying to address when developing this specification.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

I was shopping for an extra long HDMI cable and fell into a hole looking at the updates in the standard HDMI specs. One thing that stood out to me was ethernet over HDMI added in 1.4.

What possible use would this ever have? I've seriously wracked my brain trying to figure out what problem you would need a network connection over your video cable to solve and can't come up with anything. I'm not posting a complaint about some seemingly useless spec, I'm genuinely trying to understand the use case these engineers were trying to address when developing this specification.

Now I'm really curious too. I absolutely cannot imagine a use case. They already allow control signals to be passed via some other protocol, which is the only thing I could guess. I searched a little, and this page
https://www.avforums.com/threads/ethernet-over-hdmi.1896416/
is full of AV people all saying the same thing - "when the hell would you use that?" and "has anyone ever actually seen it in the wild?" - to which nobody really has an answer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's intended for small devices to not need a separate Ethernet port, but to also still not need wifi (especially since small devices often have bad wifi antennas anyway). Nothing really seems to use it for that, but it's there regardless. There seems to be a lot more TVs that support putting the ethernet connection out over HDMI, then there are devices to hook up with it.

One of its problems is that it only supports 100 megabit Ethernet, when gigabit ethernet has already been popular for a while, and so it's not fast enough to handle many people's connections nowadays.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
What's the theory behind sofas like this- is the part with no back so people can sit and face different directions?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Its for loving

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We just got our first duvet cover, and it basically ate itself in the dryer; when I first checked on it, it had wadded itself up into a tight ball, and it kept doing that about every half hour. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening the next time I wash the cover?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

FCKGW posted:

Its for loving

Ah, of course it is. Another mystery solved- cheers.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone tell me about moving furniture to another state? I've got a one bedroom apartment at the moment and I'm moving in with my Aunt and Uncle in a few weeks. I was going to store whatever extra furniture I have up there, but could it be wiser to store it in my current state? I'm going from Central Florida to North Georgia.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Agoat posted:

Can anyone tell me about moving furniture to another state? I've got a one bedroom apartment at the moment and I'm moving in with my Aunt and Uncle in a few weeks. I was going to store whatever extra furniture I have up there, but could it be wiser to store it in my current state? I'm going from Central Florida to North Georgia.

Moving is expensive and storing furniture is expensive, too. Think about how long you're going to be living with your aunt and uncle and where you're going to move after, if you know. Depending on what you have, how long you need to store it, and how attached you are to it, it may not be worth keeping. If your furniture is low quality (e.g. Ikea), it's probably not worth it. If it's high quality (leather, expensive wood), you're going to have to have climate controlled storage, and that will be significantly more expensive.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Paying for storage is a long term trap that can be a pain to extract yourself from. Is it worth moving? Then move it. If it's not worth moving, either get someone else to hold on to it for you or give it away. My wife and I paid for a storage unit for 4 years before we got our poo poo together to go back to San Francisco and empty it out. From a 4x6 storage room we ended up bringing exactly one box to my parents, a dresser with sentimental value to my uncle and one box back home. Just bite the bullet and get rid of poo poo you don't need now.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

hooah posted:

We just got our first duvet cover, and it basically ate itself in the dryer; when I first checked on it, it had wadded itself up into a tight ball, and it kept doing that about every half hour. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening the next time I wash the cover?

Try to find a mesh laundry wash bag that's big enough. Most are sized for single pieces of clothing, but they make them duffel-bag-size, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Hangerworld-Professional-Mesh-Laundry-Washing/dp/B003B97AE6

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Easier solution: hang dry, if possible.

If not possible, yeah a bag would probably help. A tennis ball in the dryer might help too.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Easiest solution: Use the Bachelor method. Never take it off the bed, and spray it down with an entire bottle of febreeze once a month. :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I use a dryer bag to keep fitted sheets from consuming everything else in the washer and dryer, and it works well. You just have to remember to run the dryer longer since it'll be scrunched up and not getting as much air through it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Anyone know how much genetic testing for thalassemia costs without insurance? The internet and the health insurance company of my friend (which doesn't cover such tests) is extremely vague about the cost.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm looking for a 3D program that I can use to build my house - gonna use it for arranging furniture, building a new deck, etc. What's the best bang for the buck? SketchUp?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sketchup is where it's at for semi-amateur design.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Bravo posted:

Easiest solution: Use the Bachelor method. Never take it off the bed, and spray it down with an entire bottle of febreeze once a month. :v:

Once a month? Do you have the queen coming to stay or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

greazeball posted:

Paying for storage is a long term trap that can be a pain to extract yourself from. Is it worth moving? Then move it. If it's not worth moving, either get someone else to hold on to it for you or give it away. My wife and I paid for a storage unit for 4 years before we got our poo poo together to go back to San Francisco and empty it out. From a 4x6 storage room we ended up bringing exactly one box to my parents, a dresser with sentimental value to my uncle and one box back home. Just bite the bullet and get rid of poo poo you don't need now.

This is the best advice. Been caught in this trap when I didn't know well enough.

Just dump it. Several years and several hundred/thousand dollars in rent later most of that stuff look like trash to you.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you are not operating a small business out of a self-storage space, self-storage is always a bad idea.

Unless you are the guy who owns the self-storage place. In which case it is a goldmine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

photomikey posted:

Unless you are the guy who owns the self-storage place. In which case it is a goldmine.

Truth. An old friend of mine decided he was tired of having a job and real world responsibilities so he sold his house and bought a run down self-storage place on the edge of my hometown. He now operates it entirely by phone from his sailboat in Mexico where he surfs every day for 8 months out of the year.

Be that guy.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Danger Mahoney posted:

Most consumer devices don't have serial ports but can accept control over IP. It's convenient for simple AV integration with consumer hardware. Hardwired is always better than wireless.

SIHappiness posted:

Also, some people have issues with CableCard service from their Cable provider (providers claim they don't provide it, don't know what it is, it never seems to work right, etc.)

If your provider claims they don't provide them or that they don't know what it is, they're violating FCC rules and you can file an FCC complaint about it.

Agoat posted:

I'll echo what others have said. Unless it has sentimental value, you're better off selling or donating your current furniture and buying new stuff when you move out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a device that will redirect an outlet at a 90-degree angle in a slim package? Our new nightstands have built-in outlets, which is kind of neat, but the face straight out the back, so if I put a phone charger (with the USB port opposite the prongs), I'd have to have the nightstand a fair ways from the wall.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

hooah posted:

Is there a device that will redirect an outlet at a 90-degree angle in a slim package? Our new nightstands have built-in outlets, which is kind of neat, but the face straight out the back, so if I put a phone charger (with the USB port opposite the prongs), I'd have to have the nightstand a fair ways from the wall.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2072244

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Look for something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/SlimLine-2241-Extension-3-Wire-8-Foot/dp/B000HJDATM/

Ikea sells a knockoff, I believe.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Where's the car buying thread on SA at? I didn't see anything in the automotive subforum first 2 pages and I can't think of another place it would be. I seen it before tho I just can't remember where

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

life is a joke posted:

Where's the car buying thread on SA at? I didn't see anything in the automotive subforum first 2 pages and I can't think of another place it would be. I seen it before tho I just can't remember where

It's in Ask/Tell
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Thank you friend 👍

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is this a famous person I don't recognize, or is it just some random person on a button?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Where can I buy a Japanese camerahead guy like this? But small and preferably not for $38...

http://thefwoosh.com/2014/09/s-h-figuarts-lamp-man-and-camera-man

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do black filmmakers usually stick their names in front of the title?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Has anyone had any experience talking their way out of dental waiting periods? My fiancé has a serious dental infection and went for the first of two appointments with an oral surgeon. Her insurance came into effect about 6 months ago, but they apparently require another 6 months until they'll cover surgeries. Are these waiting periods hard and fast, or is there wiggle room if you get them on the phone?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In life, always know where the money flows. The insurance company stands to gain nothing and in fact lose (spend) money if they pay for the surgery.

The dentist, however, has made $0 so far and stands to make $$$ if the insurance company pays for the surgery. The dentist probably employs someone full time who deals with insurance companies. See what you can work out with the dentist, and if they can sick their insurance person on your insurance company. You're going to want to posture this as "meh, I'll just wait 6 months and maybe check with another oral surgeon at that time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Baronash posted:

Has anyone had any experience talking their way out of dental waiting periods? My fiancé has a serious dental infection and went for the first of two appointments with an oral surgeon. Her insurance came into effect about 6 months ago, but they apparently require another 6 months until they'll cover surgeries. Are these waiting periods hard and fast, or is there wiggle room if you get them on the phone?

That's the dental insurance, but doesn't she have medical coverage? Usually something like an infection that required a medically necessary procedure like that would be covered by medical insurance.