Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You're supposed to hit people with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grapplejack posted:

I find them hard to use effectively, since I can't really 'time' them

Time... them? :confused:

You're just supposed to shoot wildly. L2P Junkrat

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Its just because junkrat is the lowest skilled character in the game to easily get kills with. Just hold left mouse and shoot up, 5 kill streak.

At least with hanjo you have to aim somewhere near the person lol

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I find them hard to use effectively, since I can't really 'time' them

To what end? Splash damage in Overwatch is anemic, you want either direct hits or in Junkrat's case to leave an area littered with grenades that make it dangerous to move through, hence why their detonation is based on times bounced rather than a countdown that would leave long-distance shots exploding pointlessly mid-air.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hit walls or the ground with junkrat pipes when you're spamming so that they're more likely to randomly hit people. if someone's close but around a corner, you can get them with the roller/rebound. who cares if it was intentional, it's 120 damage either way

this is also why people hate junkrat. you can spam blindly around a corner and do 120 damage on a miss

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Pumpy Dumper posted:

My favorite theory right now is that Sombra is actually the release of the Sombra Protocol gamemode. You and 5 other players vs a horde of omnics to defend something.

I really hope it's true

I'm hoping that if there is a horde mode that it's not just omnics. I would like there to be a bit of variety in monster hordes, like a South Korean map where you fight off kaiju or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should make use of the hollywood map's props and posters and make horde mode maps based off of them

personally, I think sombra should be a character and that they should still add a horde mode because those are fun

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

hit walls or the ground with junkrat pipes when you're spamming so that they're more likely to randomly hit people. if someone's close but around a corner, you can get them with the roller/rebound. who cares if it was intentional, it's 120 damage either way

this is also why people hate junkrat. you can spam blindly around a corner and do 120 damage on a miss

I mean the solution to Junkrat spam is pretty much the same solution to all defense heroes which is "kill the low-health, immobile hero with few if any defensive or escape options."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean yea, if you're gonna be reductionist about it then sure. "just kill the guy" puts an end to all problems

also junkrat has a conc mine that does 100 damage and launches both of you away from each other. he also has a trap that can make it hard to get to him. like yea he's not the best hero in the game, he's not even close, but "well just kill him then" is not an actual solution

e: and the point isn't even that he's good; it's that he's annoying and junkrat rollers are lame bullshit

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean yea, if you're gonna be reductionist about it then sure. "just kill the guy" puts an end to all problems

also junkrat has a conc mine that does 100 damage and launches both of you away from each other. he also has a trap that can make it hard to get to him. like yea he's not the best hero in the game, he's not even close, but "well just kill him then" is not an actual solution

e: and the point isn't even that he's good; it's that he's annoying and junkrat rollers are lame bullshit

I guess I just don't find Junkrats more annoying than, say, Tracer myself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tracer earns her kills, whereas with junkrat you can shoot around a corner, miss every single pipe, and still kill someone because it bounced back and hit them from behind. free 120 damage right there, no questions asked

it won't happen every time you fight a junkrat but it is definitely one of the lamest ways to die in overwatch

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Scatter Arrow is the lamest way to die in Overwatch bar loving none

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

tracer earns her kills, whereas with junkrat you can shoot around a corner, miss every single pipe, and still kill someone because it bounced back and hit them from behind. free 120 damage right there, no questions asked

it won't happen every time you fight a junkrat but it is definitely one of the lamest ways to die in overwatch

My favorite thing is hitting a junkrat trap running for a health pack that he put down 2 checkpoints ago and never put a new one down

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
As tracer there's absolutely no point in entering into a fight with a hanzo. Like, disengage immediately and go find a mcree instead lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Junkrats trap last way too long IMO

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Junkrats trap last way too long IMO

They also clip into the ground a lot which makes them hard to spot

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolow posted:

Scatter Arrow is the lamest way to die in Overwatch bar loving none

Yeah in a game where Hanzo exists Junkrat will never be more annoying than that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love when you're low health and hit one without C4. You'll see there quietly for 30 seconds and as soon it's going to release some dude rounds the corner and kills you

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

They also clip into the ground a lot which makes them hard to spot

That's by design. Friendly traps are plain as day.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the solution to Junkrat spam is pretty much the same solution to all defense heroes which is "kill the low-health, immobile hero with few if any defensive or escape options."
Junkrat has a pretty beautiful escape option. I'm not that good a player overall, but I have conditioned myself to throw a mine at my feet and detonate it when I'm panicking. If it's really hectic I might not know where I'll be blown to at all, but at least I won't be in whatever situation I was just in.

I mean, sometimes you blow yourself into a bottomless pit... and sometimes you blow yourself right into the cluster of guys behind their Reinhardt and die instantly, but then get a double kill with your death bombs so I guess that's fine too? I suppose you successfully escape sometimes too, but that's not as memorable.

Basically Junkrat is the best, and his gameplay perfectly fits with his character.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

If this game has taught me anything it's that blizzard got phenomenally lucky rather than putting out good products

The current Blizzard is like current infinity ward, their legacy has nothing to do with everything post WOW.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Overwatch mechanically is the best feeling FPS I've played since UT2k4, which is damned loving impressive tbh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I mean let's be fair, there are a bunch of things Overwatch could do better but it's far from some irredeemable shitshow and even if Blizzard insists on acting like they invented the FPS it's a pretty impressive first outing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Overwatch is good. Junkrat is good.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
As much as Junkrat can be stated to be a "low-skill" character, the intent of his role is to punish players with poor situational awareness on the offense. He can lock down an area or two, but he only has so many tools at his disposal, and a predictable reload/cooldown time once you've fought him a few times.

He dies easily to most hitscan and long-range classes; I've rarely had a problem versus him as McCree, and once you've got your aim down shooting riptires becomes cake and your team will consider you a god.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I mean let's be fair, there are a bunch of things Overwatch could do better but it's far from some irredeemable shitshow and even if Blizzard insists on acting like they invented the FPS it's a pretty impressive first outing.
I see it as a solid C+ setting the bell curve in the middle of a four semester streak of knuckle dragging bed-shitters.

I don't consider that damning with faint praise, either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Most of what Overwatch does bad isn't even bound up in core gameplay, like I don't give a poo poo about "ugh ults, press Q to win lol" or whatever, it's stuff like the custom game interface being bafflingly bad, the insanely lousy coinflip of season 1 comp and their weird insistence of not using stopwatch, a three week break between seasons because ??????????, their inability to incorporate some form of "avoid this player" option, etc. Like fix that poo poo and you can yoyo McCree's balance back and forth all you want.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I must be their target audience because i love overwatch and even felt like I completely got my money's worth with release day Diablo 3.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

To be fair they're fixing the coinflip this season and time bank feels pretty good in practice. The 3 week break is going to be either shorter next season and/or they're gonna add a comp-lite mode to mitigate the shittiness of the break.

The custom game interface is probably doomed to be rear end forever though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overwatch is a very good game and it has earned its popularity and good sales

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolow posted:

To be fair they're fixing the coinflip this season and time bank feels pretty good in practice. The 3 week break is going to be either shorter next season and/or they're gonna add a comp-lite mode to mitigate the shittiness of the break.

The custom game interface is probably doomed to be rear end forever though

This is all fair, it's just weird to me that they insist on learning these lessons the hard way rather than simply ruthlessly stealing all the good ideas from everyone else. And maybe hire someone else to make a non-lovely custom game UI, surely there's at least a couple of programmers to be found in Irvine California.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

overwatch is a very good game and it has earned its popularity and good sales

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's a good game, I just wished they were less kneejerk with some balancing and thought out some characters tool sets a bit more so competitive teams weren't watching the same 7 characters over and over based on the patch.

It feels like its not something to chuck the game for but symmetra likely needs the most retooling the rest just need some umph.

Like reinhardt, lucio, tracer, , ape, reaper and zarya are where they should aim for the rest.

Never a bad idea, all have weaknesses but work better with teamwork.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 29, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ wait those chars need buffs??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

^ wait those chars need buffs??

No he's saying they're the target level of power that other heroes should aim for.

Although it's a slightly weird thing too say since there's still a significant power disparity between Lucio (mandatory in almost every situation) and Tracer (a situational hero bleeding over into general use only as a counter to uber-Zenyatta.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I see the sentiment that Winston needs buffs all over Battlenet and Reddit but tbh if you buffed him in any significant way it would honestly probably make him too good. He's just not a very intuitive character for a lot of folks because they think they need to chase the Genji all over the map until whoops, you ran into the whole enemy team and now you're dead. Playing a bit closer to the team, being more opportunistic, and picking your moments to dive in and smear Genji or their supports makes a ton of difference and you can cause people to switch out to Reaper just to deal with you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston is and has been one of the best heroes in overwatch and anyone that honestly thinks he needs to be better is wrong

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit. ^ his shield has an insanely long cool down, not to mention it's pretty weak, and his damage can be poo poo. His ult melee damage could be better.

Those are my complaints.

Harambe needs a small buff if anything and I lol at the dudes that can only play genji that keep dying to me. I don't chase them into the enemy team FYI

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'd make his shield stronger or have it do something unique besides exist like amp his damage by acting like a Faraday cage or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bolow posted:

I'd make his shield stronger or have it do something unique besides exist like amp his damage by acting like a Faraday cage or some poo poo

It was nerfed to 600 HP (from 1200) due to double Winston being the backbone of basically every competitive team for a time, but now that obviously can't happen. I think they could increase his shield to 700 or even 800 and not have the game shatter in two, though there's definitely more pressing balance concerns. Also fix the custom game interface.