Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just because your council likes you doesn't mean they aren't power-hungry bastards. I always do everything I can to brutally crush the power of the council by stocking it with morons who like me, and replace them with different simpletons once they get upset at all the reforms. Eventually once the council is powerless and my personal demense is squared away, I start actually assigning useful councilors or vassals I don't want to piss off. But if you have a particularly bad succession or an ongoing civil war or something, they might flip Malcontent and decide to demand more power just because.

I actually got the Immortality event chain, and I even succeeded... But the Buddhist one kinda leaves something to be desired. It created a new dynasty member, but he had no parents and so wasn't in the line of succession or anything, so even though he was a potentially great ruler my original ruler's reincarnation never got to do anything but lead troops for his wife, who actually succeeded after apparently deciding killing myself would be awesome in a Buddhist way

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The council members are unable to join factions though so there's something to be said for keeping your strongest vassals from using factions at all. Especially at Empire-level when several kings putting their heads together can be a very serious threat.

Basically I like a council to actually be a thing, but as powerless as possible. It's an ongoing affair though. Sometimes their power yo-yos back and forth a bit depending on my circumstances.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Err, I started as a Byzantine count in the Old Gods start date and the Emperor was, or shortly converted to, Pauline heresy. He then went on a massive title revocation/grant spree where he, within a few years, weeded out every Orthodox he could and replaced those who wouldn't convert with Pauline vassals by force. Is he supposed to to that? At the end of the spree he had a roughly -500 tyranny modifier with me and I doubt I got hit with all of the opinion hits since I dodged him under the wings of a nearby duchess. It was crazy. I didn't even bother clearing my notification queue, I just shift-clicked the messages away every few months.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Hit the jackpot with my first Reapers's character :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There better be a Princes of the Universe reference in one of these immortality events.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My 18 Learning court physician successfully treated my typhoid by shoving something up my butt.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

My 18 Learning court physician successfully treated my typhoid by shoving something up my butt.

You know nothing of the terror of court physicians and butts. This happened to me not 20 minutes ago:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Holy loving poo poo. :stare:

e: I'm calling it right now, the "instrument" that horse was using was its dick. Your ruler was totally using a fake illness and his insanity to tell his court "No it's totally cool to get hosed in the rear end by a horse, as long as it's your doctor."

Games>Crusader Kings II: The horse says to stop clenching

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 29, 2016

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there a Catherine The Great achievement to be gained there?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Omnicarus posted:

Is there a Catherine The Great achievement to be gained there?

I was actually kinda sad when there wasn't a little cheevo referencing that, but then I realized that maybe it's ok that there isn't one.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think maybe the horse doctor shouldn't be able to do butt stuff. We're kinda wandering into deviant modder territory here.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Crusader Kings 2: Should the Horse, M.D. do butt stuff?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Horse M.D. is a respected doctor and I trust his judgement when it comes to butt cancer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Horse M.D. is a respected doctor and I trust his judgement when it comes to butt cancer.

Well there's no question about his competence. It's his ethics though. He has no medical reasons for why the butt stuff will work, and some day his playing fast and loose with butts is going to kill a patient!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Honky Dong Country posted:

I think maybe the horse doctor shouldn't be able to do butt stuff. We're kinda wandering into deviant modder territory here.

Yeah some of The stuff in Reaper's Due kinda makes VIET look like it was just a couple years ahead of its time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh man, playing Iceland with the highest level of disease on is a hoot. Distance combined with hospitals means that it rarely reaches me and meanwhile I'm marrying my sons of to ladies that then end up inheriting all kinds of neat holdings later, then subjugating/preparing invasions on the non-Norse.

When did the Sámi kingdom come to exist btw? Makes Norway a lot more tricky as you now need to get involved with Denmark to unite it, a lot of the time.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
My best court physician was a drunken monk who cured me of smallpox by locking me in a room with a swarm of angry bees

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Groogy is there any way to edit out a church, I got Antioch which is an ownage capitol but it has a church in one of the slots which sucks

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darth Windu posted:

Groogy is there any way to edit out a church, I got Antioch which is an ownage capitol but it has a church in one of the slots which sucks

If you open up the unencrypted savegame, you can find Antioch province within the vast amount of data and change said church into whatever you like. Then you reload the game and presto. Just be sure to be thorough, find another instance of a castle/town someplace and copypaste that over it is the safest bet.

If you're playing Ironman then lolno.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Horse M.D. caused me to legitimately started laughing when I got him yesterday and screens would pop up with him...or I appointed him Chancellor. He was insanely effective, though, I mourned his passing greatly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Holy loving poo poo. :stare:

e: I'm calling it right now, the "instrument" that horse was using was its dick. Your ruler was totally using a fake illness and his insanity to tell his court "No it's totally cool to get hosed in the rear end by a horse, as long as it's your doctor."

Games>Crusader Kings II: The horse says to stop clenching

Alternatively: Crusader Kings II: Sir Hands' Butt Physical

Also I am so loving sold on this game right now when the gently caress is it on sale

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When did the Sámi kingdom come to exist btw? Makes Norway a lot more tricky as you now need to get involved with Denmark to unite it, a lot of the time.
It came with this patch, specifically to break up Scandinavia a bit more.

It's flag owns.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I like this prosperity stuff with provinces. I just cycle through my few counties in my Venice game and keep them all booming. Also I've been using the court chaplain position to put bishops in Rome until they become cardinals so the college always has 3-4 Venetians in it. I've had like four Venetian popes and every single time one gets elected I butter him up with cash, and then request money to get back like 4x what I gifted him.

I've also had three cannibal doges now yet I can't ever seem to eat anybody, prisoner or otherwise. It never even shows up on the interaction list. Only time I've ever been able to eat anybody is when I catch courtiers sneaking food when the gates are sealed.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I've just started playing and am still getting to grips with the basics but I'm interested in playing a mod which has some high fantasy in it. Are the Warhammer and Game of Thrones mods good? I've never really played Elder Scrolls but how does that one measure up? Are there any other suggestions?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Apocron posted:

Are the Warhammer and Game of Thrones mods good?

I haven't tried the Elder Scrolls mod but yes, both of these are good. Personally I lean towards the GoT mod as I think CKII with all its support for scheming and politicking is more suited to that setting than the Warhammer one. Warhammer is all about epic battles and CK2's combat doesn't really capture that aspect but it's still a cool mod with a lot of detail and character. It's just that Total Warhammer is better for experiencing Warhammer battles in all their glory.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

widespread posted:

Alternatively: Crusader Kings II: Sir Hands' Butt Physical

Also I am so loving sold on this game right now when the gently caress is it on sale

Just missed the sale, I'm afraid. Had the big ol' $160 collection available for $40

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BenRGamer posted:

Just missed the sale, I'm afraid. Had the big ol' $160 collection available for $40

Bummer. Oh well.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

I haven't tried the Elder Scrolls mod but yes, both of these are good. Personally I lean towards the GoT mod as I think CKII with all its support for scheming and politicking is more suited to that setting than the Warhammer one. Warhammer is all about epic battles and CK2's combat doesn't really capture that aspect but it's still a cool mod with a lot of detail and character. It's just that Total Warhammer is better for experiencing Warhammer battles in all their glory.

The only thing I didn't like about the GoT mod was just how loving big the North is and how long it would take to travel through Westeros. Great bit of reality shock for fans though

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

widespread posted:

Bummer. Oh well.

It goes on sale fairly often, though. You'll get another chance soon enough probably.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Apocron posted:

I've just started playing and am still getting to grips with the basics but I'm interested in playing a mod which has some high fantasy in it. Are the Warhammer and Game of Thrones mods good? I've never really played Elder Scrolls but how does that one measure up? Are there any other suggestions?

Elder Kings is great, it's just different enough from regular CK2 to be pretty interesting. Don't play as an elf unless you like immortal characters in general though. Orcs are the most fun IMO.

Game of Thrones mod is good if you know, like, everything about Westeros and all of the people in it. Mechanically it's nothing special (unless you play as Daenerys, which is basically a different game considering you've got dragons and poo poo) so it relies on being a story generator by letting loose pre-established characters in the CK2 engine and letting your imagination make a story out of it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to sound dumb but I just wanted to make sure I have something correct about Seniority succession

I have two sons. One with a single child who is in a regular marriage and another that (via favour) was forced into a materlinial marriage). If the first son and his child died then the titles would move to that second son. However if that second son had his own children (not of dynasty), I'd assume the game would skip over to the next oldest, dynasty member?

Sorry if I am being dumb but I just wanted to know if I'm hosed or not. Also, secondly, with Elective Monarchy; if you are doing it as a Duke/Viceroy, and have two counties (while another individual has one), that would mean you would only have two votes? Do baronies ever get to vote?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Yep, cancer AND leprosy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there some way to find out why other council members keep shooting me suggestions to back them in return for favours? I get that I adopt their stance on the council, but what are the issues they want me to support?

Everything. They just want you to match their vote for any issue as a way of increasing their own influence on the council.

Malcontent councilors will do this a lot as a way to prevent their liege from getting anything through.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

comaerror posted:

Yep, cancer AND leprosy.

Sounds like a job for Horse, M.D.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's definitely not lupus.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can get werewolf though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

By the way I thought you guys might be interested to learn that eating your relatives doesn't result in the Kinslayer trait.

Man I still can't eat people without having the gates sealed though. Maybe it's a republic thing? Anybody ate a shitload of prisoners as a doge?

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 29, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SkySteak posted:

Sorry to sound dumb but I just wanted to make sure I have something correct about Seniority succession

I have two sons. One with a single child who is in a regular marriage and another that (via favour) was forced into a materlinial marriage). If the first son and his child died then the titles would move to that second son. However if that second son had his own children (not of dynasty), I'd assume the game would skip over to the next oldest, dynasty member?

Sorry if I am being dumb but I just wanted to know if I'm hosed or not. Also, secondly, with Elective Monarchy; if you are doing it as a Duke/Viceroy, and have two counties (while another individual has one), that would mean you would only have two votes? Do baronies ever get to vote?

As long as there are (male) members of your dynasty, your oldest (male) relative will inherit your titles. So there won't be a problem with your other son's children not belonging to your dynasty.

In elective monarchy, every elector has only one vote, no matter what. So in your example, you get one vote as the duke, and your count vassal also gets one vote. Since you are the duke, your vote will break ties. Which means you can freely chose your successor. If you had a duchy with four counties, and you held two of them while you had two counts as vassals, then those two counts could overrule you, so keep that in mind. And yes, barons can vote, but only in the succession of counts with elective monarchy.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Does crown focus help culture conversion at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

By the way I thought you guys might be interested to learn that eating your relatives doesn't result in the Kinslayer trait.

It's supposed to, maybe the scope isn't set right in the event.

• Locked thread