Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

The US National Anthem should be "And the White Man Marches On".

At least it'd be accurate.

Have you thought that maybe it should be the horst wessel song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
On the subject of voters dying off, the Trump base - non-college educated middle-aged whites - are the one demographic whose mortality rate has increased in the 21st century and they're dying of "despair deaths" - suicides, drug overdoses, and alcohol-related liver disease. The fear of death tends to push people towards conservative views; even reading about death before responding to a survey has a significant and mesasurable pro-conservative effect. Trump is constantly talking about violent death, he rhetorically paints a very bleak picture of an America riven by violence and tweets about murders and terrorist attacks as if they confirm his politics. His supporters are afraid that society has left them behind and Trump is selling them easy scapegoats. In other countries a populist anti-globalist left could reach out to some of these people but sadly Americans associate such parties with communism.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well yeah we know that. Are you male? It's a honest question because hidden systemic sexism pushes males to disregard and feel threatened by women in power. Only when called out on it will it go away. Unless you're an alt right misogynistic douche lord then well you suck. It's the female version of angry black man sort of.

If not disregard and call up that one sub you hated for a chat or something.

I'm a guy, yeah, but I've also had female bosses exclusively for going on six years so if I had issues with women in leadership this probably wouldn't be the way I found out. I like Hillary and will gladly vote for her. Is it controversial to say she has a poor delivery?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it controversial to say she has a poor delivery?

I think her delivery is average, or perhaps just above average. I think our perception is skewed by the amazing delivery of Obama that we've had.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stereotype posted:

Besides hyper partisan billionaires, the top quartile of earners have been bailing on the GOP for the past decade. Democrats actually win that bracket now due to just how lovely Republicans are at even shoveling money to the rich.
I think it's more the fact that when basic infrastructure and social services break down, and wealth and income inequality skyrocket, this results in a lower quality of life even for people in the top 25%, 10%, probably even most of the top 1% income bracket, and it's getting to the point where this is pretty obvious for anyone.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish Hillary Clinton didn't sound like a disgruntled substitute teacher.

More like a typical principal. All rules, no sympathy. Nobody likes 'em but the olds and hall monitors.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Bip Roberts posted:

That has nothing to do with the poisonous policies of the GOP. People are tribal everywhere but somehow other countries can run reasonable social and or infrastructure programs without throwing kinipshits.

Centuries of harsh frontier life have altered the genetic population of America.

I thought we just had a giant derail about this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Stereotype posted:

I'm being dead serious.

The sooner we get rid of the national embarrassment that is the GOP the sooner we can actually resolve any issue that anyone cares about.

Don't want people to have abortions? Don't vote republican.

Like owning and carrying guns? Don't vote republican.

Think taxes are too high? Don't vote republican.

Their solutions to any issue at all are either missing or rear end backwards and it's horrifying anytime anyone doesn't immediately dismiss them with the disgust they deserve.

I honestly have this stance but I keep questioning whether it's right or not because of how absolutist it is.

However I cannot think of a single Republican policy, one which is not bipartisan in some way, that would help society.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

. In other countries a populist anti-globalist left could reach out to some of these people but sadly Americans associate such parties with communism.

Or it's that these groups have been godawful at finding a message and distribution method that courts non-college middle aged white men AND the politically relevant members of the Obama coalition and as such fail to have any relevance.

In many other counties, that isn't an issue because the minority groups lack political power or the democratic system is fractured enough that a "white progressive party" can drive policy via coalition building.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

And it might go even deeper than you realize. You know how some schools do the thing where they give crying/pissing/making GBS threads baby dolls to girls so that they can understand how awful it is to take care of a baby? This is the sort of program that is pushed by conservatives in an attempt to reduce teen pregnancy rates. It has the opposite effect; girls who have to raise life-like dolls are twice as likely to become pregnant before age 20.

Hahaha uh oh! "Hey I can do this!"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

I honestly have this stance but I keep questioning whether it's right or not because of how absolutist it is.

However I cannot think of a single Republican policy, one which is not bipartisan in some way, that would help society.

Nope. They are objectively, demonstrably incorrect on every major issue.

Want a better economy? Don't vote republican.

Less abortions? Don't vote republican.

Decrease the national debt? Guess who you shouldn't be voting for.

Being a republican is like saying 2 + 2 = 5.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 29, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Boon posted:

There exists evidence that we are genetically predisposed to a political tendency. So at the heart of what you're implying is something abhorrent.

Sociopathy is genetic too

But seriously, no matter your political beliefs, modern conservatism is antithetic to your goals.

Unless you're suggesting that people are genetically predisposed to desire a method for achieving a goal instead of a goal itself. Like people don't want less crime, they want more punishment for crimes.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
I think men have issues with women in power because biologically that's just the way we are put together as social animals - authority naturally rests with men in most primitive societies. Historically, the concept of a female authority figure is novel in Western society outside of certain occupations, and in positions of real power men still outnumber women. Unfortunately people have a tendency to rationalize their viewpoints even if they are influenced by basic biases and prejudice, so it's virtually impossible to root out how much of the criticism of Clinton is due to unfair bias but when the language used against her is sexualized ("witch", "irritating voice", etc") it's pretty hard not to believe it's a dog whistle.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
*ignores a shitload of present-day tribal matriarchal societies*

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
like seriously if you want to go all evo-psych I think you'll find supporting a patriarchy with that is a bit of an uphill battle

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm trying to think of a good republican policy not shared by Democrats, or not held by summer fringe Republican and not representative of the party as a whole, coming up blank.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Most anthropologists would say that there are no known examples of unambiguously matriarchal societies at all. There are, of course, societies with relative gender equality.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

greatn posted:

I'm trying to think of a good republican policy not shared by Democrats, or not held by summer fringe Republican and not representative of the party as a whole, coming up blank.
I don't know, I can sort of agree with their general self-destructiveness, but I guess that's less of a policy than it is a pathology.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Oh poo poo pull up thread

The latest ep of Chapo Trap House read through a David French article about how millennial men are ~weak~ because one whole idiotic study showed something about how younger dudes' grip strength (lol) was lower than it was in previous generations. America Goes Soft: The Pussification Continues! (seriously lol at the notion of primitive gender roles c'mon guy)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

isidewith.com has the GOP opposing the NSA collecting metadata while Dems support it. Of course, that's sort of a moot point with the GOP supporting the PATRIOT Act, but, well, it's there.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Oh poo poo pull up thread

The latest ep of Chapo Trap House read through a David French article about how millennial men are ~weak~ because one whole idiotic study showed something about how younger dudes' grip strength (lol) was lower than it was in previous generations. America Goes Soft: The Pussification Continues! (seriously lol at the notion of primitive gender roles c'mon guy)

Not enough beating their meat.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I think men have issues with women in power because biologically that's just the way we are put together as social animals - authority naturally rests with men in most primitive societies. Historically, the concept of a female authority figure is novel in Western society outside of certain occupations, and in positions of real power men still outnumber women. Unfortunately people have a tendency to rationalize their viewpoints even if they are influenced by basic biases and prejudice, so it's virtually impossible to root out how much of the criticism of Clinton is due to unfair bias but when the language used against her is sexualized ("witch", "irritating voice", etc") it's pretty hard not to believe it's a dog whistle.

also women are predisposed to like the color pink because of berries or something, furthermore

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ well u see, human male ancestors needed to distinguish subtle variations in prey animal *squelchy toilet noise*

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not enough beating their meat.

This was the gist of their entire commentary also insinuation about David french's preference for strong teenage boy hands, it's a weird show.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kilroy posted:

This is an interesting discussion to have because it's hard to define in a lot of cases. For example you have a bunch of societies (Taino are the one coming to me but I know there are others) that prescribed significant social status to postmenopausal women but not pre and how do you qualify THAT?

But generally I roll my eyes when people prescribe human traits supposedly originating from pre-agricultural society. The people in this thread almost assuredly have hundreds of generations separating them from any such "genetic memory." I'll stick to blaming everyday society and the systematic inequality every agricultural society has shown for millenia, thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eifert Posting posted:

This is an interesting discussion to have because it's hard to define in a lot of cases. For example you have a bunch of societies (Taino are the one coming to me but I know there are others) that prescribed significant social status to postmenopausal women but not pre and how do you qualify THAT?

But generally I roll my eyes when people prescribe human traits supposedly originating from pre-agricultural society. The people in this thread almost assuredly have hundreds of generations separating them from any such "genetic memory." I'll stick to blaming everyday society and the systematic inequality every agricultural society has shown for millenia, thanks.

Or stick with a personal feeling that Hillary just isn't the best public speaker in the world, especially next to the likes of Obama. I think Hillary will be a fine president and I voted for her in the primary, but I think she's a somewhat weak campaigner when she's not hammering Trump. By all accounts she's much more personable and at ease with small groups versus speaking to large crowds.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

^ well u see, human male ancestors needed to distinguish subtle variations in prey animal *squelchy toilet noise*

This was the gist of their entire commentary also insinuation about David french's preference for strong teenage boy hands, it's a weird show.

I think they finally settled on the theory that French is just ashamed of his effeminate, video game playing son.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/756130903215276032

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

greatn posted:

Not that they do much about it, but they're pro-nuclear power. That's the one I always fall back on. I worry that it's also literally the only one I know about.

Well, that and their mealymouthed pro-NASA words and total lack of funding to back it up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can we at least all agree that this is sexist?

Boosted_C5 posted:

As much as I loathe Hillary Clinton I am a capitalist and I would take a six-figure cash-money position right loving now as her handler.

Like how can they be this incompetent I love Trump and am unironically voting FOR him to be President but give me a loving break he's like the easiest candidate ever to beat and these chucklefucks are gonna lose to him (THANK GOD)

Your candidate is viewed as a corrupt, dishonest, ruthless arrogant tyrant who thinks she's above the law. And a lot of people who are not partisan Republicans hate her. Oh gee I don't know, maybe far east dictator who is constantly yelling is not the best presentation choice?

Dress her like a sweet old granny. Get media rags, which are 100% IN YOUR CORNER to run some multi-page color photo/interview piece with her at home where she's baking cookies or some poo poo wearing an apron and in between pulling trays out of the oven is fielding cell phone calls and discussing some random obscure foreign policy crisis happening in a country no one has ever heard of. Nurturing, warm, friendly old granny doting on grandpa Bill with freshly baked goods, but a strong granny who is tackling global issues too.

Instead they've got her all dolled up like Kim Jong Un and yelling at everyone like a shrill old nun who raps your knuckles with a ruler.

This isn't loving rocket science.

Bing bing bong, SO SIMPLE

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BiohazrD posted:

Nope. They are objectively, demonstrably incorrect on every major issue.

Want a better economy? Don't vote republican.

Less abortions? Don't vote republican.

Decrease the national debt? Guess who you shouldn't be voting for.

Being a republican is like saying 2 + 2 = 5.

Yes, but they have spent billions of dollars and decades of time trying to convince their base that all of these are not only correct, but the only moral choices. Said base has fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. When it fails, the base votes for it even harder out of dedication to the Sunk Costs Fallacy: admitting they were wrong after putting in so much time and faith into these beliefs is too terrifying to ever stop so they won't willingly change, even if it's actually killing them (it honestly is). This all benefits the upperclass that finances the Republicans and makes it piss easy to bilk multi-billions from their base, so they have no incentive to stop before the supply of rubes simply cannot support them anymore.

To bring us back to the "controversy" I have always been a little creeped out at the insistence that we mindlessly preform all these "patriotism" rituals. It's like we must bow before the proper totems solely to make the conservatives feel more secure. Meanwhile, deliberately sabotaging the nation is still defended because their leaders show the proper meaningless rituals and spew the right platitudes.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 29, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well, it's a boosted post.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There are probably several hundred pages worth of posts in the Trump thread that are just variations on "wear the hat, boosted"

what did you all expect if he actually did?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should do a remix of that Crazy Frog cover of Axel F but replace the bing bing bong parts with vocoded Trump lines

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

isidewith.com has the GOP opposing the NSA collecting metadata while Dems support it. Of course, that's sort of a moot point with the GOP supporting the PATRIOT Act, but, well, it's there.

Weren't conservatives the ones most loudly calling for Snowden's blood? I sincerely doubt that the GOP is less in favor of NSA surveillance than... well, literally anyone else

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

So by the same token you would say that liberals see Palin as a dumb "ditzy broad" for the same reason conservatives see Clinton as a bossy overbearing "bulldike"?

The sense I get is the sexist impulses really come into play when men - especially conservatives - don't like a woman's beliefs. When she's on their team they don't seem threatened. I have a hard time reconciling conservatives' affinity with the likes of Palin with the idea that their vitriol toward Hillary, Michelle Obama or Sandra Fluke reflects their being uncomfortable with women having power in general.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Palin was a VP pick, she wasn't actually going to have any power unless McCain died.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
It's not crazy or sexist to say Clinton just doesn't have the chops for saying inspiring speeches, because she just doesn't

She's not shrill, she doesn't have a weak voice, it's not one of the standard complaints against women, and i think women exist who are great at it, she's just honestly sorta bad

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

It's not crazy or sexist to say Clinton just doesn't have the chops for saying inspiring speeches, because she just doesn't

She's not shrill, she doesn't have a weak voice, it's not one of the standard complaints against women, and i think women exist who are great at it, she's just honestly sorta bad

This is entirely different than saying she sounds like a disgruntled substitute teacher.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joe football posted:

Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Fourth verse only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Disgruntled Substitute Teacher is extremely endearing to me and makes me like her.

• Locked thread