Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

what actually goes through the heads of people like ScoMo or Hockey while they sit at their desk? Is it just "I must gently caress the poors" because I can't see any other reason for the bullshit they keep spewing.
It is scapegoating and misdirection. They are generally friends with the wealthy and corporations for whom they have hosed the economy. Now that the economy is right proper hosed by decades of neoliberalism and the cracks are showing, they need someone to blame. They can't, obviously, tell the truth. That would upset their friends and make them look bad. So they scapegoat a section of the community instead. The poor are an easy target since they have very little voice and you can make an erroneous, though convincing, argument that they are responsible because THEY TAKE GUBBERMINT MONIES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the line about "restoring banking as a profession", I'm sure financial goons are having a hearty chortle about that one :v: Morrison is clearly trying to repair his relationship with the Right, he's as painted in a corner as Turnbull. There is a car crash coming and they're not driving.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.facebook.com/CanberraLiberals/videos/1142717872467302/

Stunning quality coming out of the Canberra Liberals.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You Am I posted:

I'm thinking more of the cut away in Homer Simpson's head with an old black and white cartoon playing in his brain

Or this:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pickled Tink posted:

It is scapegoating and misdirection. They are generally friends with the wealthy and corporations for whom they have hosed the economy. Now that the economy is right proper hosed by decades of neoliberalism and the cracks are showing, they need someone to blame. They can't, obviously, tell the truth. That would upset their friends and make them look bad. So they scapegoat a section of the community instead. The poor are an easy target since they have very little voice and you can make an erroneous, though convincing, argument that they are responsible because THEY TAKE GUBBERMINT MONIES.

I don't even know that it is. They may have just completely bought into Supply Side Economics and can't see the flaws with the policies that have been implemented, so there must be some problem somewhere else. Since according to supply side the money that consumers have is meaningless then there clearly is a huge problem with all these poors getting money since it's just a big waste and doesn't actually achieve anything for the economy. I mean this is totally wrong, but it may not be a case of intentional misleading as much as being so submersed in trickle down they can't parse any ideas that aren't couched within that ideology.

EDIT: That said though it is Scott "Torture Camps" Morrison so maybe I should be attributing to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Melton.flv

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Splits bro!
I believe I previously paraphrased this speech as "Goo Goo Ga Ga".

Can't the LNP front bench be both wicked and stupid? The evidence is right in front of us.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hooman posted:

EDIT: That said though it is Scott "Torture Camps" Morrison so maybe I should be attributing to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

Yeah, I get the feeling that with Morrison it's deliberate and hateful. On the other hand, Hockey was just an idiot being advised by terrible people.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

I'm thinking more of the cut away in Homer Simpson's head with an old black and white cartoon playing in his brain

That black and white cartoon depicting them loving the poor, of course

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That black and white cartoon depicting them loving the poor, of course

The tortoise symbolises the bourgeoisie.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

hooman posted:

I don't even know that it is. They may have just completely bought into Supply Side Economics and can't see the flaws with the policies that have been implemented, so there must be some problem somewhere else.

I honestly don't think the explanation is any deeper than this. Whatever the research and any period of time spent critically thinking about these issues tells you, on a very visceral and approachable level, the idea of trickle down economics makes "sense" to people like Morrison and, when this system fails, it's because we've failed it in some way. I know a lot of people who buy into this line and presuming that everyone is acting out of spite rather than an earnest belief in this logic fails to capture the psyche of Hockey, Morrison, and Turnbull. You want to understand what goes through their heads when they make statements like this, it's not like there are entire schools of economics and think tanks producing paper after paper and framing entire journals around this very topic, advocating exactly these positions using the same language our politicians today are apeing. Nevermind that these ideas haven't stood up to academic rigor, supporters of these policies only respond that they haven't been tried with sufficient faith yet.

These ideas need to be opposed, obviously, because of the harm they do to society. But it doesn't benefit the debate to assume that these economic models just appeared one night in the minds of malevolent people wishing to punish the poor and infirm. The harm they cause the poor isn't the intended consequence though they do acknowledge it as a necessary evil in the pursuit of a greater good. It's a dangerous ideology but it's not especially mysterious or difficult to understand.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

The tortoise symbolises the bourgeoisie.

Boat-Camps Machine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
'gently caress off, ya dog' has got to be the most australian insult

legstump
Feb 26, 2004

hooman posted:

I don't even know that it is. They may have just completely bought into Supply Side Economics and can't see the flaws with the policies that have been implemented, so there must be some problem somewhere else. Since according to supply side the money that consumers have is meaningless then there clearly is a huge problem with all these poors getting money since it's just a big waste and doesn't actually achieve anything for the economy. I mean this is totally wrong, but it may not be a case of intentional misleading as much as being so submersed in trickle down they can't parse any ideas that aren't couched within that ideology.
I think for them it is also a moral issue although they would never admit it or perhaps even be aware of it. It is no coincidence so many tories are religious. For them the world is just: people who have money (like them) do so because they are good people (like them) and therefore deserve it all and an additional well-earned tax break. People who don't have money must be bad people who are being punished and to help them absolves them of their sin and allows them to continue their lifestyle of immorality, be it laziness, drug use, sexual deviance, whatever. It is the same reason they are opposed to abortion and access to contraception: pregnancy is the just punishment for sluts. It is the same reason they are against injecting rooms and needle exchanges: Hepatitis and overdoses punish drug use. It is the same reason they are against crime prevention program X and just want more police to catch the criminals. Or against gay marriage because why should those immoral sinners get to be happy?

Supply side economics and all that horseshit is just dressing to simultaneously justify their own privilege and reinforce their self-perceived moral superiority over the filthy peasants. They don't actually care that it doesn't work, that isn't the point. Showing them hard evidence that welfare spending make lives better and is of net benefit to the economy probably makes them like it even less. Just like they don't care that sex education reduces teen pregnancy, or harm minimisation reduces disease burden or that the safe schools program might end up reducing the suffering of LGBT kids.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know if the economics really has much to do with it. Appeals to economic theories work because economics is a dense and, to most people, boring subject. Like climate science, people aren't actually going to look up the figures and do their own calculations (not that they should be expected to), and the debate happens almost entirely in the popular media. Academic journals aren't accessible, in the physical and intellectual senses, so it becomes a matter of who is promoting what policies, and how similar they are to the voter. If you don't know much about a topic you're probably going to reflexively agree with people who are 'like you' and disagree with those who aren't. People like Scott Morrisson can then use that to make baseless appeals to the 'taxed' and make the same old argument they've always been making.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Milky Moor posted:

'gently caress... ya dog' has got to be the most Chris Kenny insult

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Serrath posted:

These ideas need to be opposed, obviously, because of the harm they do to society. But it doesn't benefit the debate to assume that these economic models just appeared one night in the minds of malevolent people wishing to punish the poor and infirm. The harm they cause the poor isn't the intended consequence though they do acknowledge it as a necessary evil in the pursuit of a greater good. It's a dangerous ideology but it's not especially mysterious or difficult to understand.

legstump posted:

I think for them it is also a moral issue although they would never admit it or perhaps even be aware of it. It is no coincidence so many tories are religious. For them the world is just: people who have money (like them) do so because they are good people (like them) and therefore deserve it all and an additional well-earned tax break. People who don't have money must be bad people who are being punished and to help them absolves them of their sin and allows them to continue their lifestyle of immorality, be it laziness, drug use, sexual deviance, whatever.

The truth is usually in the middle somewhere. As a group they aren't necessarily homogeneous, but nor is it a coincidence that many who appear to be in the same 'club' tend to be MPs, advisers and think-tanks. If they had theoretical justifications for their economic policies, why do they attack people in particular ways when they're confronted by evidence those polices are broken?

My opinion remains that the major parties are generally authoritarian in character, which makes it difficult for individuals in those parties to even understand they have a worldview to challenge, let alone be open to have it challenged. But they are set within a generally authoritarian culture (their religion, their education, their upbringing) which self-selects for their privilege. Trickle down fits that model of privilege so well I doubt they can even tell the two apart.

Even Lenore Taylor can see it:

quote:

1. Government explains that we need to reduce the budget deficit. Which, of course, we do.

2. Government calls their own solution “reform”, because that suggests it is unquestionably worthy and good, and then insists this is, in fact, the only possible solution to the problem.

3. Government ignores alternative ideas to solve the same problem and berates opposition parties for “sabotaging” the budget and jeopardising the future if they don’t support the government’s proposed spending cuts.

4. Government chastises the voting public for enjoying now unaffordable benefits and for failing to comprehend the problem and for not backing the government’s policies to fix it.

5. Policies don’t pass the Senate. Nothing happens.

6. Repeat.

It's only taken them 3 years to express it, I personally wonder how long it took them to notice. But I've said before, this kind of spinning the wheels was inevitable given the choices Howard made with the parliamentary party. There is literally no one competent in it. I'm not certain of the competence of the ALP either but this can't go on much longer. Changing the words when the results are the same doesn't work.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...829-gr3h78.html

quote:

Here's how the story goes.

Labor, the Greens and the Nick Xenophon Team join forces to block the same-sex marriage plebiscite in the Senate.

Swayed by passionate lobbying from advocates, Malcolm Turnbull ditches the idea and opts for a free vote in Parliament. The Prime Minister is, after-all, a longstanding supporter of marriage equality. And he's on the record opposing the plebiscite. Rather than defeated, he is unshackled. Deep down he's happy it's gone this way.

Allowed to vote according to their consciences, a same-sex marriage bill passes both houses of Parliament. There are tears of joy on the Senate floor; gay and lesbian couples around the country hit the streets to celebrate. Within days newspapers are filled with touching photos of the first gay and lesbian Australians to legally marry.

The only problem: it won't happen this way. Almost certainly not. And anyone telling supporters of same-sex marriage otherwise is promoting a dangerous fantasy. A dream as empty as it is alluring.

A plebiscite may not be desirable and may not be fair. But it is the only realistic option for marriage equality in this term in Parliament.

To reject it means same-sex marriage is probably three years away, perhaps more. By the next election Labor will have a binding vote in favour of marriage equality, making it hard to convince the Coalition to support a free vote.

Notice how quiet Eric Abetz and Cory Bernardi have been lately? Supposedly in favour of a plebiscite, they are delighted to see it on death row. A proposal designed to delay and divide is doing exactly that. By losing, they win.

Meanwhile, their colleagues who back same-sex marriage are arguing strongly for the plebiscite. Look at Warren Entsch, Christopher Pyne, Tim Wilson. All would prefer a free vote, but they know how their party works. They know that on this issue the Liberal Party truly is a broad church, with perspectives ranging from outright opposition to strident support.

The Labor figures who say Turnbull is hostage to the internal politics of his party on this issue are dead right. Internal politics matter.

When Malcolm Turnbull seized the prime ministership last September he signed a written agreement with the Nationals setting out the terms of the Coalition arrangement. Part of that deal was sticking with Tony Abbott's plan for a plebiscite.

Turnbull then took the plebiscite to an election, promising Australians a say on the issue. And he won - albeit narrowly.

If Turnbull was to backflip on his policy and allow a free vote it would inflame the conservative wing of the party. So much that so that Turnbull's leadership itself could be at stake. Scott Morrison, Barnaby Joyce, George Christensen, Abbott and many more would argue that a fundamental election commitment had been broken. They wouldn't be wrong.

Furthermore, a precedent would be set. Of Shorten staring down Turnbull. Of Turnbull buckling. You folded on same-sex marriage, Labor would taunt him, so why not on a banking royal commission or an emissions trading scheme?

Former High Court judge Michael Kirby has argued persuasively that delaying same-sex marriage is a risk worth taking. He's explained that a plebiscite is constitutionally unnecessary and could unleash a wave of hatred against gays and lesbians.

He also acknowledges that he has been in a committed gay relationship for over 40 years and he and his partner don't know if they'd want to marry.

Other gay couples would dearly love to marry and are sick of waiting. Some would be willing to fight a plebiscite to do it.

It's a grim choice but one that must be made. Dreams of a different world - a world where the internal politics of the party in power don't matter - won't make it go away.

splits

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Classic, thanks for this.

I love how quick they are to scream "paedophile" at each other when arguments arise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So now that Xenophon is opposing, all we need is for Labor to maintain a principled stance

:negative:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Making this choice is an impossible one. I want gay marriage, I don't want a hate campaign against the LGBQ community. Turnbull gives you the choice of:

Hate Campaign and Gay Marriage
No Hate Campaign and No Gay Marriage

What the hell do you choose? It's a great wedge for the left because how do you make a choice between two evils. Personally I don't think you enable the Liberal party's bullshit so you vote against the plebiscite and do your best over this term of parliament to have it passed as a private members bill (if possible). On the other hand I can totally understand the argument "If this is what we have to do to get gay marriage lets get it over with".

I think no matter what decision Labor ends up making it will be the right decision to some and the wrong one to others.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
false choice, the hate campaign doesn't give you gay marriage either

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

Making this choice is an impossible one. I want gay marriage, I don't want a hate campaign against the LGBQ community. Turnbull gives you the choice of:

Hate Campaign and Gay Marriage
No Hate Campaign and No Gay Marriage

What the hell do you choose? It's a great wedge for the left because how do you make a choice between two evils. Personally I don't think you enable the Liberal party's bullshit so you vote against the plebiscite and do your best over this term of parliament to have it passed as a private members bill (if possible). On the other hand I can totally understand the argument "If this is what we have to do to get gay marriage lets get it over with".

This is letting them control the narrative, which is the last thing you want. If the plebiscite passes you'll never hear the end of how the Liberal party are the true progressives.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Non-binding hate campaign

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

This is letting them control the narrative, which is the last thing you want. If the plebiscite passes you'll never hear the end of how the Liberal party are the true progressives.

I know there's a lot of other factors that play into it, narrative, cost, a push to soften hate speech laws, this being the only reasonable chance of getting it passed this term, continued destabilisation of the libs etc.

It would be a fair criticism to say my post was overly reductive but I was trying to summarise the core of my mixed feelings about the plebiscite.

OR of course

thatbastardken posted:

This happens, the rabid right roll Turnbull and whoever replaces him kicks the can down the road irrespective of the result.

I guess my other fear is of a Brexit situation where the plebiscite says no to gay marriage and then what the gently caress do you do.

EDIT: Basically This:

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 29, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Two good arguments against the plebiscite:

1. Neither major promises to respect the decision. What's the point, if it's no, I'm hardly going to respect it, and Eric Abetz isn't going to respect yes. The point seems to be about avoiding changing a couple of lines in the marriage act. If only it was as easy as changing the Racial Discrimination Act, oh wait.

2. The ACL demands to be funded for the No side, or at least make the government pay for a brochure that gives it equal time. No loving way. gently caress off you bigoted closet perverts.

This then, is my reasoned and considered position :v:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

thatbastardken posted:

That's the thing. The plebiscite is non binding and has been declared by Coalition members as something they will ignore after the vote. If that's the way things swing, plebiscite in bad faith + free vote is what's being debated.

Letting it through to 'maybe' get a look in just perpetuates the same disrespectful attitude towards this issue. It is disrespectful that we have to have a plebiscite to practically reverse a thing Ol Jonny Howard tried to set in stone with his preamble to the marriage vows. There was no plebiscite for that.

If the choice was actually plebiscite in bad faith + free vote vs free vote then everything would be clearer. The only thing that muddies it up is the difficulty in getting the free vote on its own as the coalition will fight to 'own' it's solution.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

So now that Xenophon is opposing, all we need is for Labor to maintain a principled stance

:negative:

*checks notes*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Also lets not even get started on how loaded the question will be.
eg.
"Should marriage be between one man and one woman?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wish we could have a plebiscite on those bloody lebs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For a bit of bad funny rather than bad horrible to end a monday:

quote:

Medical experts have reaffirmed that calcium is an 'important building block for healthy bones' in light of claims by celebrity chef Pete Evans that dairy removes calcium from bones.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was only going to post an excerpt of this but then every paragraph was stupider than the last so you get the whole thing.

Guardian Au posted:

Climate sceptic MP appointed chair of environment and energy committee
Liberal Craig Kelly will lead backbench committee that provides advice and feedback on legislation and policies

The climate sceptic Liberal MP Craig Kelly has been appointed chairman of the backbench environment and energy committee, with National party MP Kevin Hogan as secretary.

The committee will provide feedback on legislation and policies relating to the environment and energy, including to the minister, Josh Frydenberg.

Kelly served on the committee during the last parliament and previously invited climate sceptics to “balance” a presentation given by top climate scientists.

He has been writing on the issue for a number of years, noting that the convicts found it hotter in the 1700s.

“But I wonder if any of these people actually knew that Sydney’s so-called ‘record hot day’ on Tuesday 8th Jan this year [2013], that had them screaming “Global Warming”, was actually COOLER than the weather experienced by the convicts of the First Fleet in Sydney way back in the summer of 1790/91?” Kelly wrote.

He wrote on his Facebook page during the election campaign: “And with freezing temperatures and even snow forecast for Melbourne’s outskirts and in parts of New South Wales, I hope many of the warmists haven’t sold their coats.”

Hogan holds the marginal seat of Page on the New South Wales north coast. He has opposed coal seam gas development in his area.

The appointments were part of the political housekeeping required by the return of parliament after the election. The Coalition party room elected all the backbench committees and those with legislation to scrutinise met immediately to consider the bills.

Flanked by the deputy prime minister, Barnaby Joyce, and the deputy Liberal leader, Julie Bishop, Malcolm Turnbull addressed the joint party room when it reconvened after lunch for another meeting to consider policy issues such as the contentious superannuation changes.

West Australian Liberal Nola Marino has been reappointed as chief government whip along with South Australian Liberal Rowan Ramsey and Queensland Liberal Bert van Manen. Ramsey and van Manen replace Queensland Liberal Ewen Jones and Tasmanian Liberal Brett Whiteley, both of whom lost their seats in the election.

Jesus loving christ.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

2. The ACL demands to be funded for the No side, or at least make the government pay for a brochure that gives it equal time. No loving way. gently caress off you bigoted closet perverts.
This is exactly what is the expected outcome.

Have the government fund 'both' sides of the 'argument'. Imagine if the pro female circumcision lobby demanded that they were given an equal voice... A more relevant example are climate deniers. Yes your fringe view should be given exactly the same weight as the mainstream scientific opinion. Oh and we should teach creationism alongside evolution as an equal alternative. This is such a common tactic surely it has a label by now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Have the government fund 'both' sides of the 'argument'. Imagine if the pro female circumcision lobby demanded that they were given an equal voice... A more relevant example are climate deniers. Yes your fringe view should be given exactly the same weight as the mainstream scientific opinion. Oh and we should teach creationism alongside evolution as an equal alternative. This is such a common tactic surely it has a label by now.

Check the post above yours.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

This is such a common tactic surely it has a label by now.

Yes, it's called 'trying to make friends with the playground bully'. It doesn't work. Ask the ABC.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I thought it was called giving taxpayer money to your kiddyfucking friends

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Intentionally shifting the overton window.

Overton Abuse? Overton Defenstration?

Creating a false compromise?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

hooman posted:

Also lets not even get started on how loaded the question will be.
eg.
"Should marriage be between one man and one woman?"

Well, allegedly the question is:

quote:

Do you approve of a law to permit people of the same sex to marry?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doesn't pass the western Sydney pub test:

Do you wanna marry a Sheila or just fuckin have at it and anything goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon posted:

False equivalence fallacy is the usual one.

• Locked thread