Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought we were going to have fun with the whole list but anyway

New Jersey, glad it exists for comedy but come on. Four months living there was enough.
Delaware, lol.
South Carolina/Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas/West Virginia/Idaho/Oklahoma I don't think I actually need to justify any of these.
Iowa is what happens when you take the boring parts of other states and then make an entire state out of them.
Kansas is what you do with the parts too boring for Iowa.
The Dakotas are what you do with the parts too boring for Kansas.
Michigan is Ohio but with a worse winter, and I say that as someone who loves winter.
Indiana is the only state where the KKK is actively expanding.
Alaska is a cold trailer park.
Kentucky has bourbon which is good because you need a lot of bourbon to deal with Kentucky.
Missouri is all the worst parts of Ohio mixed with worst parts of the south.
Texas is Texas.

Ohio is simply a void without meaning. Saying it's bad or good means having strong feelings about Ohio, which is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought we were going to have fun with the whole list but anyway

New Jersey, glad it exists for comedy but come on. Four months living there was enough.
Delaware, lol.
South Carolina/Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas/West Virginia/Idaho/Oklahoma I don't think I actually need to justify any of these.
Iowa is what happens when you take the boring parts of other states and then make an entire state out of them.
Kansas is what you do with the parts too boring for Iowa.
The Dakotas are what you do with the parts too boring for Kansas.
Michigan is Ohio but with a worse winter, and I say that as someone who loves winter.
Indiana is the only state where the KKK is actively expanding.
Alaska is a cold trailer park.
Kentucky has bourbon which is good because you need a lot of bourbon to deal with Kentucky.
Missouri is all the worst parts of Ohio mixed with worst parts of the south.
Texas is Texas.

Ohio is simply a void without meaning. Saying it's bad or good means having strong feelings about Ohio, which is impossible.

as stringent just said a bit ago, "ohio is texas except cold and no mexican food".

Ohio has almost zero national parks. it has no hills. it is full of truck drivers driving across the empty void that is ohio. the best city in ohio, cleveland, is so bad their own son left it because it is so terrible. he only came back because of how pathetic it has been for like the past 50 years.

take a look at the best parts in each of the states you originally mentioned.

new jersey, carolinas, hawaii all have beaches, instantly making it better than ohio.
delaware gets a pass for being the first state of the united states
arkansas is better but it is a bit smaller to drive across, so it is a bit better than ohio. has the ozarks
missouri has the ozarks
the dakotas have the black hills and gave us the movie fargo, far better than anything ohio has given us
texas is bad but austin is better than anything ohio has to offer
michigan is my least favorite state in the US and i still think it is better than ohio, go to like the UP, its gorgeous (and i hate michigan)
indiana is bad but it is still a little better than ohio because it has purdue university
west virginia is bad but gorgeous, so it gets the nod over ohio
arizona has flagstaff, tucson and tempe, as well as cool poo poo like tombstone
alaska absolutely owns
hawaii is cool i'm guessing, its one of the two states ive never been to
idaho actually has some gorgeous places to visit. ohio doesn't
iowa gave us field of dreams, better than anything ohio has ever done
kansas is v bad but at least there's like one cool basketball university in it
oklahoma is bad but a little better than ohio
kentucky has all kinds of cool poo poo like the derby and bourbon

ohio is just a cold desolate place that if you go there and never leave, it is terrible. theres literally no good places to go, and nothing good to do. ohio is like if you tried to live in a walmart

alabama and mississippi are like living in the dollar store, they are v bad

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

kansas is v bad but at least there's like one cool basketball university in it

Kansas is awesome if you live in Kansas City or Lawrence, both of which are right next to each other. Any place other than that is garbage.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Kansas is awesome if you live in Kansas City or Lawrence, both of which are right next to each other. Any place other than that is garbage.

ya the awesome basketball university i was talking about wasn't in manhattan, lol

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ya the awesome basketball university i was talking about wasn't in manhattan, lol

University of Kansas and Kansas State University serve two very different functions. University of Kansas is for the type of people who don't think Kansas is amazing, Kansas State is for people who want to be farmers and still use the word "colored".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

as stringent just said a bit ago, "ohio is texas except cold and no mexican food".

Ohio is not particularly cold and my neighborhood which was all Arab and Asian when I was a kid is now almost entirely Mexican so I don't know what this means.

I think the problem is personal badness because you're giving Cleveland the best city in Ohio award when Cleveland's greatest accomplishment was its river catching on fire so often that we got the Clean Water Act and EPA. Everyone in Ohio knows the hierarchy is Cincinnati/Columbus (regional dispute) > Dayton > Cleveland > Toledo and nobody remembers Akron exists.

We're also talking about living, here. You're posting tourist stuff which is a different topic. If we're making a tourism list the order is going to be different and Ohio goes down the list a ways.

(also Ohio has beaches, they're actually p nice now that you don't get AIDS by touching Lake Erie)

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 29, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The boy, unfortunately, is unable to keep his laptop because he is slightly brown and ended up in one of Joe Arpaio's desert prison camps.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not been to Hawaii but literally everyone I have ever met who lived there says it's horrible. Nice to visit but awful to live in. Expensive as hell, lots of crime, super racist if you're not native Hawaiian, etc. I've actually never heard more consistent hatred of any state, even places like Mississippi I've met defenders of.

Also apparently there's a Hawaiian separatist movement which, lol.

My cousin moved there during highschool and lived there for 10 years. It's expensive but great outdoors and beautiful sun. And Great surfing

This other cousin of mine grew up in Hawaii, he enjoyed living there

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want good beaches you should just go to Okinawa :henget:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Me and a friend just booked our tickets to go to Tokyo Japan from March 26 untill 13 April 2017
W have never been to Japan before. We kind of want to explore as much as we can in the 2.5 weeks we have. We have no clue where to start and what to visit.
We will purchase 2 of those 14 day rail passes. We are thinking about spending the last few days back in Tokyo. We want to visit the temples. This is in Kyoto I think?
We have not booked a hotel yet. We are thinking about purchasing a hotel for the 1st few days in Tokyo. and kind of stop at a hotel as we explore each city?
Is this viable?

What are some of the places we should absolutely visit?
Our budget is flexible. At the very least we both will travel with 3000 euro's each. We would rather not spend more than necessary though.
Do people speak english there at places such as a restaurant? I read that japan is a cash oriented country. What amount of yen should I have with me daily to get through the day.

Basically 2 guys traveling to japan with no clue what to expect or what to do.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

Me and a friend just booked our tickets to go to Tokyo Japan from March 26 untill 13 April 2017
W have never been to Japan before. We kind of want to explore as much as we can in the 2.5 weeks we have. We have no clue where to start and what to visit.
We will purchase 2 of those 14 day rail passes. We are thinking about spending the last few days back in Tokyo. We want to visit the temples. This is in Kyoto I think?
We have not booked a hotel yet. We are thinking about purchasing a hotel for the 1st few days in Tokyo. and kind of stop at a hotel as we explore each city?
Is this viable?

What are some of the places we should absolutely visit?
Our budget is flexible. At the very least we both will travel with 3000 euro's each. We would rather not spend more than necessary though.
Do people speak english there at places such as a restaurant? I read that japan is a cash oriented country. What amount of yen should I have with me daily to get through the day.

Basically 2 guys traveling to japan with no clue what to expect or what to do.

It's a viable plan and what matters most is your flexible budget.

All I would recommend is get an internet plan here - http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

You should really do some preliminary on what kind of places you want to visit - http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan

Come back once you have an itinerary.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
poo poo I JUST CHECK THE CALENDAR, YOU NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATIONS AND TRAVEL EARLY AND MAKE PLANS. IT'S THE CHERRY BLOSSOM SEASON KNOWN AS HANAMI AND JAPAN IS SO KIREI (beautiful in Japanese) :japan: THERE MIGHT BE A GOON CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL AS WELL

If you are doing 2 and a half weeks,

You can do the usual Tokyo (4 days) ---> Kyoto ( 3 days) --->

Actually Pay pal me a 100 euros, it's only 50 euros per person and I will write the ultimate trip and try to make reservations for good restaurants

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Actually Pay pal me a 100 euros, it's only 50 euros per person and I will write the ultimate trip and try to make reservations for good restaurants
i'll do it for 98 euros, 49 euro a person

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

i'll do it for 98 euros, 49 euro a person

yeah but i know better sushi restaurants. so for 2 more euros you get a better restaurant selection

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

yeah but i know better sushi restaurants. so for 2 more euros you get a better restaurant selection

poo poo

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

It's a viable plan and what matters most is your flexible budget.

All I would recommend is get an internet plan here - http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

You should really do some preliminary on what kind of places you want to visit - http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan

Come back once you have an itinerary.

I guess we will go to tokyo > Kyoto> Nara> Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo
But this may change if something better is recommended.

Thank you for the internet plan. We will get that.
Does the cherry blossom season mean that hotels and restaurants will be jam packed? We still have 6 months to reserve. It should not be a big deal?

Are you serious about the paypal thing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

poo poo I JUST CHECK THE CALENDAR, YOU NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATIONS AND TRAVEL EARLY AND MAKE PLANS. IT'S THE CHERRY BLOSSOM SEASON KNOWN AS HANAMI AND JAPAN IS SO KIREI (beautiful in Japanese) :japan: THERE MIGHT BE A GOON CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL AS WELL

If you are doing 2 and a half weeks,

You can do the usual Tokyo (4 days) ---> Kyoto ( 3 days) --->

:( :( :( :( :(

Don't make me fly through China :(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Im flying through china and my hold over is in Beijing. The travel agency said that air china was a good flight company.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Real talk, spend the whole trip in Tokyo and go out with goons chasing loose women. They will show you the ropes then you're on your own.

If you want restaurant recommendations ask in here, don't listen to caberham he lives off of suitcases of instant ramen while abroad.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

Don't book those. Go through ANAs site, I think they'll have something competitive.

You might have to fly from Charlotte though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Air China is fine and big Chinese airports are fine. They all have pizza hut and Starbucks and McDonald's and you can pretend you're not in Asia at all.

Tbh Air China and hainan air ( esp their international routes) are way way better than most European or North American Airlines, but that's mainly due to a very low bar.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Don't book those. Go through ANAs site, I think they'll have something competitive.

You might have to fly from Charlotte though.

I wanted the United since it was a single stop in SFO; 18 hours each way vs 24+. The American/JAL is through Chicago and Shanghai (which both look the same and is an American flight, ughhhhhhhhhh).

It's August and I have a boatload of points coming in, so I'm in no rush to book a ticket.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Real talk, spend the whole trip in Tokyo and go out with goons chasing loose women. They will show you the ropes then you're on your own.

If you want restaurant recommendations ask in here, don't listen to caberham he lives off of suitcases of instant ramen while abroad.

This would actually be pretty neat. We'd be down to meet up with goons in Tokyo.
As for the restaurants. We wouldn't mind dining at a fancy restaurant a few times but it shouldn't be the norm. I'd like to try out a good fish (sushi?) and ramen restaurant.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Magna Kaser posted:

Air China is fine and big Chinese airports are fine. They all have pizza hut and Starbucks and McDonald's and you can pretend you're not in Asia at all.

Tbh Air China and hainan air ( esp their international routes) are way way better than most European or North American Airlines, but that's mainly due to a very low bar.

I don't know Air China with layover to Beijing was cancer. Waited like 2 hours to go through customs/security, and throughout the 11 hour plane ride I couldn't read my ebooks on my phone because chinalaw.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SweetBro posted:

I don't know Air China with layover to Beijing was cancer. Waited like 2 hours to go through customs/security, and throughout the 11 hour plane ride I couldn't read my ebooks on my phone because chinalaw.

China's actually beautiful, OK?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

caberham posted:

This excitement makes you sound like a 13 year old. I'm really jealous

Man I wish I grew up in Ohio. I could just be a happy man seeing some cornfields and hills

:raise:

Uh... Is this sarcasm or a back-handed compliment? :confused: It's the internet, so it's hard to make out tone.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SweetBro posted:

When was that? I fly in and out of China like a dozen times a year and I've never had a wait that long at customs except one time in like 2010 during the h1n1 outbreak or something when literal dudes in hazmat suits were scanning everyone entering the country.

Always reading ebooks too (except during takeoff, they do still make you turn them off there which is annoying).

China is not a place I'd recommend staying in for long, but the major airports are fine for the most part.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:raise:

Uh... Is this sarcasm or a back-handed compliment? :confused: It's the internet, so it's hard to make out tone.

Yes, all of them.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Air China is horrific and Beijing is literally the most delayed airport in the world

as someone who lives near Beijing and bends over backwards and pays a few hundred dollars per trip to sometimes not fly through it, listen to me when i tell you...do NOT fly Air China and do NOT fly through Beijing

hope this helps

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

but the major airports are fine for the most part.

this is simply not true and i question your sobriety. Shanghai and Beijing are two of the most delayed airports in the entire world. the. entire. world.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also :laugh: at sparking off furious debate about how precisely lovely Ohio is.

It's still perfectly true with that saying about Ohio is that you either lower your standards and settle begrudgingly in to Ohio indefinitely until you die or you move so far out of Ohio you go to the other end of the planet or the moon. I'd much rather be in Washington state or California tbh.

Re: sliding doors, I was just amazed more at how much more widespread technological uses like that are in Korea and Japan than here in America/Ohio when we can barely keep the hinges on the doors on most places or simply have regular old paper towel dispensers. I was also fascinated by the random bongo players on the subway when I visited NYC as a kid with my dad, so maybe I'm just easily amused? :downs:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Lovell is a jerk for dunking on the rest of us so hard. I have no doubt the first mission to Mars will have someone from Ohio to set the new record of getting as far away as possible.

Ohio invented airplanes so we could leave faster.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo grand fromage you said i was talking about tourism but i was just talking topography, mainly. a few decent cities as well.

if columbus and cinci are your T1 cities in Ohio, you've been dealt a horrific hand. and those are your best things about ohio. columbus and cleveland and cinci. like louisiana and florida are terrible but miami, the everglades, orlando, new orleans and the bayou all blow ohio's best out of the water. really it's lucky that we give the nod to ohio over bama/mississippi, because they have the bayou as well, but they are just terrible lovely states and have to be the two worst

ohio is a flat land of waste with nothing to look at and nothing to do if it isn't saturday between september and november, and even then, you're stuck with the human equivalent of walmart in a parking lot pounding natty lies.

edit: why did i say baton rouge i meant new orleans

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also coincidentally happened to play Initial D at the local arcade last night against a guy who was born and raised in Japan and after the match had a lengthy conversation about Japan and his youth as a military brat there which was pretty cool I guess. Are there other games with active persistent nationwide ranking systems like that going on right now in Japan? Apparently you can get a 'drivers' license' specific to Initial D 4 and see how you rank compared to the whole country or just your prefecture.

Prefectures are like the Japanese equivalent of American states but with more federalism/less confederation, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I say you're talking about tourism because you keep talking about places to visit and things to see. Visiting places = tourism and is a whole different set of criteria than living in a place.

Worse tourism states than Ohio: Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Alabama, Mississippi, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware. The whole bottom ten is basically just "nothing to see here" but Ohio has a lot of good food in the cities, the USAF Museum, good American Indian archaeological sites, and a lot of very pretty forests in the southeast so that's something, anyway.

Toledo exists though which is a big negative.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are two prefectures: Tokyo and Inaka.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

Jim Lovell is a jerk for dunking on the rest of us so hard. I have no doubt the first mission to Mars will have someone from Ohio to set the new record of getting as far away as possible.

Ohio invented airplanes so we could leave faster.

drat straight.

I think 'being from Ohio' should get you as many bonus application points with NASA as being fluent in a super-critical needs language like Farsi or Mandarin Chinese would be with joining the Foreign Service.

E: didn't mean to jump the gun earlier, I was trying to say that it would eventually be great to work and live in Japan for an extended period of time, but it would be a lot smarter and economical to do a lot shorter tourism trip first to see how I like it all there.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 29, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I say you're talking about tourism because you keep talking about places to visit and things to see. Visiting places = tourism and is a whole different set of criteria than living in a place.

of course I'm talking about places to visit and things to see inside the state, I'm not judging ohio based on your basement or your living room

i mean if you have a cool basement and a great STEAM set up on your desktop and a fridge full of beer, of course that is cool. but that is not ohio. that is your basement.

are you making a facepalm ranger argument ironically or what

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

of course I'm talking about places to visit and things to see inside the state, I'm not judging ohio based on your basement or your living room

i mean if you have a cool basement and a great STEAM set up on your desktop and a fridge full of beer, of course that is cool. but that is not ohio. that is your basement.

are you making a facepalm ranger argument ironically or what

No I'm saying tourism and living somewhere are different things. I am not talking about the furniture inside my house. For example, the cost of living in an area does not matter to me at all when choosing a place to visit but would, in fact, matter if I were living there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I also coincidentally happened to play Initial D at the local arcade last night against a guy who was born and raised in Japan and after the match had a lengthy conversation about Japan and his youth as a military brat there which was pretty cool I guess. Are there other games with active persistent nationwide ranking systems like that going on right now in Japan? Apparently you can get a 'drivers' license' specific to Initial D 4 and see how you rank compared to the whole country or just your prefecture.

Prefectures are like the Japanese equivalent of American states but with more federalism/less confederation, right?

You were playing stateside with a 4th Stage machine? I played that back when I was in high school a decade ago.

Anyways, the current version (as the previous ones have been) are internet connected. Same deal where you put in some extra money to get a card with your saved data on it. Unlike the paper thin magnetic cards from 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, 8 is on a credit card sized and thickness piece of plastic. You can have up to 3 cars now, but every so often you need to re-up your card and transfer to a new save card.

There is an online mode and when you sign up, it registers whatever prefecture you're playing in. When you win races, you get a random die roll for parts to put on your Initial D avatar; I think I have angry eyes and blond spiky hair. Also, there are special events that happen where you can get a special limited edition car or cosmetic hairdo. From what I've seen, you get 1 free play per day, too, so if you immediately track down an arcade and get your card set up, you can play throughout your trip to Japan at somewhat of a discount.

Also, the story mode is way way way more varied than the original games. Like within the first 6 stories or so, you have a Don't Spill The Water, Gum Tape Battle (limited steering input), and Drift So Hard You Make Iketani Faint with a heart meter and everything.

Game is good.