Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has anyone heard about "fox news letting it slip that Megyn Kelly is a traitor"? I have several friends that have posted about it on Facebook but they have not linked anything. I searched online but there were only alt-right websites popping up. Did she accept a new position at a different network when her contract runs out?

No, it looks like a bunch of right wing blogs are running with the idea that because she questions her Republican overlords she's a traitor and needs to be executed/dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Rick_Hunter posted:

No, it looks like a bunch of right wing blogs are running with the idea that because she questions her Republican overlords she's a traitor and needs to be executed/dismissed.

In either case, wow these people are psycho-nutter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Especially since she's probably the form that the GOP needs to take if they want to have any type of success of the presidential level again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dexo posted:

Especially since she's probably the form that the GOP needs to take if they want to have any type of success of the presidential level again.

What? White person interested in issues if they directly effect her? That sounds like the standard Republican MO already.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dexo posted:

The GOP is going to take back the senate in 2018 and probably have slightly better than even odds at the presidency in 2020 tho (assuming they can push Ted Cruz in front of a train some time between now and then)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

The GOP is going to take back the senate in 2018 and probably have slightly better than even odds at the presidency in 2020 tho (assuming they can push Ted Cruz in front of a train some time between now and then)

the senate thing checks out but saying republicans are likely to win the white house in 2020 has no basis other than pendulum theory

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Aliquid posted:

the senate thing checks out but saying republicans are likely to win the white house in 2020 has no basis other than pendulum theory

We're due for a recession and it will be after 8-12 years of Democratic control so people, retarded as they are, will blame them. That's what I'm expecting to happen.

Alternatively, either Bill or Hillary will die in the next 4 years and throw everything into chaos.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Aiming at racist middle class white ladies is sort of what they've been doing for decades now though? If moving on from Boomer racist middle class white ladies to a GenX racist middle class white lady is the best they've got, uh, yikes

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 29, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

joepinetree posted:

I don't think that this is an alt-right practice. It's just that since its online its hard to fall back on "both sides are bad."

This is the exact same tactic college republicans have used for a while.David Horowitz once went to speak at a college campus while being paid by the college. While there, he insulted the leader of the Black Student Alliance and said a bunch of other controversial crap. After the controversy, the college republicans decided to ask for funding a second time to bring Horowitz to "debate." The university said "no, we are not going to pay for the same speaker twice in a calendar year" and the story became about censorship and universities banning conservatives.

Earlier this year college republicans went crazy at Emory's campus writing Trump's name all over the place, including doors, handrails, classroom walls and so on. Emory cleaned up the non-authorized spaces and college republicans were able to spin that into a story of students feeling triggered by Trump signs and demanding Emory to erase all that. Even the nightly show bought into the narrative, which, it turns out, was mostly false.

http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/

The thing with the alt-right is that since its online its easier to verify its false. But the "provoke until the reaction allows us to claim we are the real victims" has been standard operation procedure for a while.

This is true and part of the reason I wonder why anyone is all that surprised by the alt-right. They aren't that big of a change from normal. More extreme, more nerdy, and even less concerned with the long term, yes, but they are ultimately the same sort of awful that the Republicans have been spreading for so long.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

remusclaw posted:

What? White person interested in issues if they directly effect her? That sounds like the standard Republican MO already.

Right?

That's like saying Republicans need more people like Caitlyn Jenner. The party is already full of people with attitudes exactly like Megyn'a and Caitlyn's, turns out "gently caress anyone who isn't just like me" isn't a great strategy for recruiting outside the already existing base of old white men.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

VitalSigns posted:

Right?

That's like saying Republicans need more people like Caitlyn Jenner. The party is already full of people with attitudes exactly like Megyn'a and Caitlyn's, turns out "gently caress anyone who isn't just like me" isn't a great strategy for recruiting outside the already existing base of old white men.

I do have a feeling that "gently caress you, got mine" will re-emerge, once a broad enough coalition of people who've got theirs emerges and conveniently forgets the lessons of the last thirty years or so.

I mean, I'd love a bloodless Glorious Revolution; but it's more likely that someone will have to be first against the wall, right?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hodgepodge posted:

I do have a feeling that "gently caress you, got mine" will re-emerge, once a broad enough coalition of people who've got theirs emerges and conveniently forgets the lessons of the last thirty years or so.

I mean, I'd love a bloodless Glorious Revolution; but it's more likely that someone will have to be first against the wall, right?

The fact is that with less and less people "getting theirs" then it becomes harder to build a democratic movement to defend it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I generally imagine half of you guys all grim-faced with some form of liquor on hand nearby and the other half just really sad like Ethan Mars all the time so have some things to maybe make a smile happen. Plus I lost the perfect opportunity to post them when they were relevant.

If I knew how to edit things I would've added a picture of Obama's face on John Cena's when he was pushing that boulder off a cliff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Josef bugman posted:

The fact is that with less and less people "getting theirs" then it becomes harder to build a democratic movement to defend it.

I'm thinking somewhat down the line, with the assumption that the current trend away from social democracy will be to some degree reversed and many current minorities will be able to accumulate wealth and influence.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm thinking somewhat down the line, with the assumption that the current trend away from social democracy will be to some degree reversed and many current minorities will be able to accumulate wealth and influence.

Well by that point we are into colonisation efforts on distant planets!

Speaking of I really hope that we get to see humanity escape earth in our lifetime. I want to have at least some hope for the future.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

Speaking of I really hope that we get to see humanity escape earth in our lifetime. I want to have at least some hope for the future.
There is nothing we can do to Earth short of diverting several large asteroids onto a collision course with it, that will render it less habitable than any other celestial body in this solar system nor, I would wager, any planet within 100 light years. Even if we have a nuclear holocaust, the survivors on Earth will be way better off than whatever Earthlings we manage to land on Mars before then.

Unless you're talking about building orbitals or something in which case :getin:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Josef bugman posted:

Well, I do live in Canada, which is basically the United Federation of Planets compared to America :canada: Here, there are minority groups which have voted Conservative on a fairly regular basis (Harper may have alienated them with his anti-Burqa crap last election).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Lightning Knight posted:

We're due for a recession and it will be after 8-12 years of Democratic control so people, retarded as they are, will blame them. That's what I'm expecting to happen.

Alternatively, either Bill or Hillary will die in the next 4 years and throw everything into chaos.

Whether or not the recession holds off will be a big part of it, but also Hillary's overall job rating. She was an awful candidate to begin with given how bogged down she is in scandals and how many people vehemently hate her without any basis in fact. Trump is something of a blessing for her because if she was up against Rubio or Kasich she'd probably be way behind right now, although we can get into the "what if" rabbit hole all day.

There's a good strong force that she will never win over, but if her next four years go well she may get enough popular support for reelection. If she falters at all in any significant way she's out in four years and god forbid we get president Zodiac.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Call me naive or whatever you like for this. I'm fully convinced Trump wants to lose this election and the extraordinary discovery is he can't go far enough to lose the white supremacist base. He's trying to throw it but the old white vote is forgiving him every trespass. See: Evangelicals. I haven't seen Trump as a faithful candidate for at least six weeks, perhaps longer.

The more common theory is he decided to run on a lark/gin up publicity/still mad from getting clowned by Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner/whatever and didn't expect to actually win the nomination. He obviously has zero desire to actually be president beyond the job title and is mostly running at this point to bilk donors and prep for whatever dumb media thing he does next.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

William F Cuckley posted:

The more common theory is he decided to run on a lark/gin up publicity/still mad from getting clowned by Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner/whatever and didn't expect to actually win the nomination. He obviously has zero desire to actually be president beyond the job title and is mostly running at this point to bilk donors and prep for whatever dumb media thing he does next.

He also just raised the rent on his own campaign in his own building. It's a nice racket.

Unrelated, another thing driving 2020 will be how much Clinton can undo the right-wing vote stacking. Can she restore the VRA and block voter ID laws? That's going to greatly benefit the left if it can be done. The districts also get redrawn that year so gerrymandering will make a big difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrixRabbi posted:

Whether or not the recession holds off will be a big part of it, but also Hillary's overall job rating. She was an awful candidate to begin with given how bogged down she is in scandals and how many people vehemently hate her without any basis in fact. Trump is something of a blessing for her because if she was up against Rubio or Kasich she'd probably be way behind right now, although we can get into the "what if" rabbit hole all day.

There's a good strong force that she will never win over, but if her next four years go well she may get enough popular support for reelection. If she falters at all in any significant way she's out in four years and god forbid we get president Zodiac.

Lol OK.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, I do live in Canada, which is basically the United Federation of Planets compared to America :canada: Here, there are minority groups which have voted Conservative on a fairly regular basis (Harper may have alienated them with his anti-Burqa crap last election).

He also said weed was the most dangerous drug. :lol:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Instant Sunrise posted:

after the election the alt-right narrative will be that trump lost because he didn't cater to the alt-right enough/he was betrayed by the establishment gop/hillary rigged the election.

That and it was "the media" that gave Hillary a free pass and whomped on Trump 24/7.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Call me naive or whatever you like for this. I'm fully convinced Trump wants to lose this election and the extraordinary discovery is he can't go far enough to lose the white supremacist base. He's trying to throw it but the old white vote is forgiving him every trespass. See: Evangelicals. I haven't seen Trump as a faithful candidate for at least six weeks, perhaps longer.

I doubt it. I think he's so wrapped up in his own brand and his own ego that he just thinks he can "be Trump" and people will fall in line and fawn over his personality. He may not personally care if he wins or not but I don't buy this idea that he's intentionally throwing it. Personally, I think he's as shocked as anyone that he even made it this far.

When it's over and if he loses, he'll start his own news channel or another reality show. Maybe write a book.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

TrixRabbi posted:

He also just raised the rent on his own campaign in his own building. It's a nice racket.

Unrelated, another thing driving 2020 will be how much Clinton can undo the right-wing vote stacking. Can she restore the VRA and block voter ID laws? That's going to greatly benefit the left if it can be done. The districts also get redrawn that year so gerrymandering will make a big difference.

The biggest drivers of 2020 will be:

1) can the establishment solidify on a single candidate early in the process to block out zodiac and the four people that pop up trying to carry forward the Trump coalition

2) does the republican house/senate massively overplay their hand on every little thing after retaking the senate and manage to make Hilary look sympathetic

3) when during that term do the economic bubbles burst?

The census and gerrymandering don't matter because the lines won't go into effect until later elections, assuming there isn't a major Supreme Court case between now and then that shakes up the whole board

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lightning Knight posted:

There was a major recession in 1981-2. Reagan won a landslide in 1984
2001-3 saw negative job growth. Dubya Bush got re-elected anyway
2009-10 saw massive job losses and GNP shrinkage. Didn't matter, Obama won in 2012

The trick is to have the economy improving during the election year. Carter and GHW Bush were unlucky enough to have their recessions occur during their fourth year

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i for one can't wait to see what this election's version of "karl rove in a cowboy hat.jpg" is going to be.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

That and it was "the media" that gave Hillary a free pass and whomped on Trump 24/7.

I doubt it. I think he's so wrapped up in his own brand and his own ego that he just thinks he can "be Trump" and people will fall in line and fawn over his personality. He may not personally care if he wins or not but I don't buy this idea that he's intentionally throwing it. Personally, I think he's as shocked as anyone that he even made it this far.

When it's over and if he loses, he'll start his own news channel or another reality show. Maybe write a book.

So what does the Trump New Network look and sound like? Who does it cater too, the people who think Fox News doesn't go far enough? Are there enough of those people to drive ratings after the initial buzz wears off?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My hope for 2020 for the GOP is that Ted Cruz is no longer a viable thing in any way, shape or form.

The best scenario is that he is so politically toxic that he's stuck hosting an AM radio show in Houston and the only time he's brought up is in this thread for when he'll say something outrageous/dumb.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

My personal test for patriotic integrity is: if we were in an inverse situation and Donald Trump were running as a Democrat with an appropriately mirrored platform with which I agreed with all of his ideological positions, would I still vote for Zodiac, a guy I obviously can't stand, out of pragmatism? I hope I could answer yes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Slamburger posted:

My personal test for patriotic integrity is: if we were in an inverse situation and Donald Trump were running as a Democrat with an appropriately mirrored platform with which I agreed with all of his ideological positions, would I still vote for Zodiac, a guy I obviously can't stand, out of pragmatism? I hope I could answer yes.

It's theocratic facism vs. garden variety facism.

Donald trump is awful, but Ted Cruz is doing victory laps around him in the race for the worst politically active person on the face of the planet..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

i for one can't wait to see what this election's version of "karl rove in a cowboy hat.jpg" is going to be.

I'm just hoping for another moment like Megyn Kelly dunking on him when he wouldn't concede defeat when Obama had clearly won.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slamburger posted:

I had this framed to me as Kanye West vs. Marco Rubio yesterday.

Turns out the Supreme Court is still important enough to me that I'm willing to have four years of completely insane executive branch. Does that make me a bad person :ohdear:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

He moved them into a ridiculously fancy office suite in the same building. Still a grift but not quite as blatant as just upping the rent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had this framed to me as Kanye West vs. Marco Rubio yesterday.

Turns out the Supreme Court is still important enough to me that I'm willing to have four years of completely insane executive branch. Does that make me a bad person :ohdear:

poo poo. man yeah when you put it like this I guess I would p much vote anyone with a (D) next to their name. For the court.

Though I trust Kanye to put together a team around him that knows their poo poo more than I would trust Trump. As Kanye's whole music career has been with ghostwriters and being able to find talented people to work with.

Also Pusha would be chief of staff. Which would be p awesome. Also the White House correspondents dinner would be amazingly awkward.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

remusclaw posted:

So what does the Trump New Network look and sound like? Who does it cater too, the people who think Fox News doesn't go far enough? Are there enough of those people to drive ratings after the initial buzz wears off?

Exactly those people, yes. I don't know how many of them there are or how many can be manufactured though. Hopefully it's a lot fewer than I think.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Dexo posted:

poo poo. man yeah when you put it like this I guess I would p much vote anyone with a (D) next to their name. For the court.

Though I trust Kanye to put together a team around him that knows their poo poo more than I would trust Trump. As Kanye's whole music career has been with ghostwriters and being able to find talented people to work with.

Also Pusha would be chief of staff. Which would be p awesome. Also the White House correspondents dinner would be amazingly awkward.

Ric Flair as press secretary would be rad

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Good Citizen posted:

2) does the republican house/senate massively overplay their hand on every little thing after retaking the senate and manage to make Hilary look sympathetic

Because look how well that turned out for Obama. I can't think of a better prototype for this exact scenario than his presidency. She'll be demonized and called a atheist fascist muslim communist by right wing policymakers. Half the country will consider any negative thing they hear about her, no matter how outlandish, to be the gospel truth, and obstructionism will continue to be the order of the day.

quote:

3) when during that term do the economic bubbles burst?
If a bubble should occur in an environment of austerity, and then burst, would anyone know the difference? I was in the workforce during the Clinton presidency, so I remember what an actual functioning economy looks like. We haven't had one in the United States for about two decades. Until consumers have actual money to spend, we're hosed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Exactly those people, yes. I don't know how many of them there are or how many can be manufactured though. Hopefully it's a lot fewer than I think.

I imagine you can get a lot out of them in the short term since they love having their horrible behavior validated, but they don't seem to have the loyalty or vision to stick to anything long-term. Entitled selfishness is a core of their "value" system and, being complete cowards, they don't have the balls to stand up to criticism now that people are finally becoming aware and standing up to them. I guess Trump could try to absorb the Fox audience since they're being blacklisted as "too liberal" (i.e. having some minor attachment to reality) and are getting so much exposed, but ten years would do most of that demographic in. That all assumes that the Trumpers swallow his "rigged" ravings completely and still think of him as a winner despite what's hopefully shaking up to be a landslide loss.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How are people so stupid to think that loving Mexico is actually going to pay for Trump's god drat wall?

And how is Trump so stupid to think African Americans will believe his BS and vote for him when it's common knowledge that he and the 1% hosed them over more than any other minority?

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chimera-gui posted:

How are people so stupid to think that loving Mexico is actually going to pay for Trump's god drat wall?

You're assuming thought has anything to do with it. Make America Great Again is all that's going on in their heads.