Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Robot Randy posted:

nothing, rdr is perfection

You think Red Dead's gunplay is perfection? There are probably a hundred games with better shooting mechanics than Red Dead. It's a sad day when people care more about story than gameplay in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

You think Red Dead's gunplay is perfection? There are probably a hundred games with better shooting mechanics than Red Dead. It's a sad day when people care more about story than gameplay in a video game.

half life

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tsum Tsum thumb cramps.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mario Party 1 stigmata

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

sinking belle posted:

Mario Party 1 stigmata

RIP joystick on the n64 controller.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Picked Oddjob on All Shotguns DK Mode.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
sega saturn instead of n64 :(

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

bought a PSP to play Persona 3.

the extra stuff wasn't worth the extra money and it had very few good games i hadn't already played.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Never had a memory card for my PS1, would just leave a game running until I beat it. Left Crash Bandicoot 3 or whatever on for six straight months and the clock or something got overheated. You know those crates of tnt that'd explode in like 3 seconds after you hit one? For me they'd go through the timer instantly. It was brutal.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I don't know which Pokémon game it was, but I had a save just before an encounter with a legendary Pokémon (who only appeared once in the game) and then I left my Gameboy unattended and somebody killed that pokemon and then saved the game. It's been like 16 years and I still remember, wtf is wrong with me.

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
didnt lawyer up the first time

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Picked up the C64 joystick for the first time as a four year old, forever dooming me to be an overweight shut-in, and later, goon.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I saved up for like a month to buy a new ps3 game and I picked Clive Barker's Jericho.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
MOO3, absolutely

i think it was even one of the first games i bought with my own money

i guess it taught me early to avoid hype

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Got $50 as a birthday present as a little kid, and spent it on that Half Life expansion pack Blue Shift
I was expecting something like Opposing Force; a whole new game with new weapons and enemies and poo poo. Instead I got 3 1/2 hours of gameplay and the same poo poo that was in the original game :saddowns:

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wayne curr posted:

Got $50 as a birthday present as a little kid, and spent it on that Half Life expansion pack Blue Shift
I was expecting something like Opposing Force; a whole new game with new weapons and enemies and poo poo. Instead I got 3 1/2 hours of gameplay and the same poo poo that was in the original game :saddowns:

would be so cool to prevent stuff like this from happening in the future by standardizing all the old games on rasperberry pi distros for poverty kids tribes quake for 1

counter strike if ur a serial killer loser columbine kid

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

wayne curr posted:

The real Barney was the one you never got to talk to!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

When I was 11 years old I took a measurement of my dick once a week so I could make sure it was growing at an acceptable rate. I kept a note of the dated measurements in a secret place, for fear of someone seeing it and somehow intuiting what the numbers meant. That secret place was inside the cover (behind the instruction manual) of Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, a game no one would be likely to crack open. Then a few years later, having long forgotten about the dick measuring chart, I sold my ps1 bundled with all the games. For a little while I was afraid and embarrassed by the thought of that person or the next one they sold it onto finding the chart and realising that, somewhere out there, a kid had measured his own dick. It was when I stopped fearing it and began to find it funny that I knew I had grown into a man, and that I needed no further measurement for proof.

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
writing isnt ur compulsion its micromanaging ppl also using me as a dousing rod not good or a foil or a mirror. stop being an authoritarian?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

actually my compulsion is revealing embarrassing truths about myself under a thin pretense of irony, as a form of self therapy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

When I was 11 years old I took a measurement of my dick once a week so I could make sure it was growing at an acceptable rate. I kept a note of the dated measurements in a secret place, for fear of someone seeing it and somehow intuiting what the numbers meant. That secret place was inside the cover (behind the instruction manual) of Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, a game no one would be likely to crack open. Then a few years later, having long forgotten about the dick measuring chart, I sold my ps1 bundled with all the games. For a little while I was afraid and embarrassed by the thought of that person or the next one they sold it onto finding the chart and realising that, somewhere out there, a kid had measured his own dick. It was when I stopped fearing it and began to find it funny that I knew I had grown into a man, and that I needed no further measurement for proof.

im sry ur dik still smoll

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

actually my compulsion is revealing embarrassing truths about myself under a thin pretense of irony, as a form of self therapy.

i think a lot of ppl try to do that here but fail miserably

the thing is when u bought into the hive mind group culture and authoritarian morality (lol r u catholic lol)

it just is dismal prospects after that

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
also again ur ppl took part of my skull over mood disorder diagnosed ASPD wiki kathy drama

wtf do we do about this?

u gonna kill me? jail me????

nah i think u better pay me

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I once forgot to put like three zeros in the price when I was placing a Traveller's mantle on the auction house. Someone got really lucky that day

This is a rite of passage, at least your story isn't "I wasted my life upgrading a claustrum" or something

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I thought this thread was going to be about terrible mistakes people made in video games, but it's almost entirely people complaining about spending a few dollars and realizing a game wasn't good. :(

I once convinced 3 friends (you needed 4 people) to help me to get some achievement in Halo 3 for finishing the last level with everyone in ghosts. We spent something like 5 or 6 hours on it, then at the very end, I thought it'd be funny to jump out, but then die so we'd just do the last checkpoint again. It was clear I wasn't going to actually make the jump if the trigger zone was actually in the hanger I was supposed to land in, but the momentum carried me far enough that it triggered cutscene anyway. I frantically tried to revert to last save, but it already checkpointed us at the cutscene. So in the end, I didn't get the achievement and my friends all hated me.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Jesus christ I was going to say playing ffxi for 600 days and turning into a fat goon during high school and college was my biggest mistake, this is just plain upsetting

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I spent at least 2000 dollars (who knows the exact number, probably more) on maplestory poo poo several years ago. I thought I learned my lesson but I've been doing it the same on CoD black ops 3, although I think I'm only at around 1k.

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
*i bought some pretty hats in a video game but it wasnt a mistake i really enjoyed wearing them and being kawaii or watever the gently caress it is the great deciever and i were doing playing ragnarok online all night for months LOL

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
my worst video game mistake was not going to USA to fix johns life as best i could and instead i ended up losing my virginity to anime is blood

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Also for a non-"I spent too much on a video game" mistake, I killed Vivec in my game of Morrowind after spending some ridiculous amount of hours on that character and didn't have an earlier save I could reload to, making me unable to finish the game (as far as I know/knew, I don't have that xbox anymore so if there is a way there's nothing I can do about it).

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"Sam, listen to me carefully. Don't think, don't ask questions, just do exactly what I tell you: shoot the lady informant in the face. NOW!"

"Sam, you blew it..."

(I didn't shoot in time)

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also for a non-"I spent too much on a video game" mistake, I killed Vivec in my game of Morrowind after spending some ridiculous amount of hours on that character and didn't have an earlier save I could reload to, making me unable to finish the game (as far as I know/knew, I don't have that xbox anymore so if there is a way there's nothing I can do about it).

you simply found an unscripted ending.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I've made lots of bad purchases over the years. Ultima IX, Gothic 3, Tek Wars, Divine Divinity 2: Dragon Knight. The list goes on and on, reaching all the way back to the days of the Commodore 64.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Murphy Brownback posted:

I spent at least 2000 dollars (who knows the exact number, probably more) on maplestory poo poo several years ago. I thought I learned my lesson but I've been doing it the same on CoD black ops 3, although I think I'm only at around 1k.

I am dogshit awful at online fps games so I haven't played any in years, but just out of curiosity what is there to spend a grand on in a call of duty game? Like weapon skins and stuff?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Peebla posted:

I am dogshit awful at online fps games so I haven't played any in years, but just out of curiosity what is there to spend a grand on in a call of duty game? Like weapon skins and stuff?

Basically, yes. There are some supply crate only weapons but most of them suck and have an extremely low drop rate. It's mostly skins and taunts though.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Peebla posted:

Not entirely sure anout Cod, but cs go weapon skins (especially knives) are viewed like precious gems. People will be blabbing about their $400 knife skin during a match while you are trying to listen for the enemy teams footsteps. The whole skin gambling scene getting busted open recently is kind of funny.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I bought a PS Vita. and then after it broke I bought ANOTHER PS Vita

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I've made lots of bad purchases over the years. Ultima IX, Gothic 3, Tek Wars, Divine Divinity 2: Dragon Knight. The list goes on and on, reaching all the way back to the days of the Commodore 64.

Gothic 3 is a good game and I'll fight anybody who disagrees.

Also back in the day I bought a GPU specifically for it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

Gothic 3 is a good game and I'll fight anybody who disagrees.

Also back in the day I bought a GPU specifically for it.

I always heard the Gothic games are pretty hard. That's the only thing I have heard about them, now that I think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I bought State of Emergency the day it came out for $60. Maybe played it a total of 30 minutes before realizing that all the hype surrounding it was pure bullshit. You couldn't give that turd away.

• Locked thread