Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There are perks to being a guild leader. The internet connection where I am is so slow that I can't even load Gems of War to collect tribute; but nobody else can kick me for inactivity. :grin:

I didn't think that the game sent/received that much data when you boot it up, but the app never finishes its startup process -- and even before it fell out of my phone's memory, it took a solid minute+ to let me interact with it when I changed focus to the GoW app.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Unlocked Emperor Khorvash's Stoneskin trait after grinding out Explores on Broken Spire all week. He should be much more resilient in PVP now. I might work on Crimson Bat next, but having two Khorvash's in the same team seems to work well enough.

Right now the team is Khorvash/Khorvash/Valkyrie/Soothsayer. Soothsayer works OK, but I'm not in love with him. Spirit Fox removes all yellows which slows down Valk, so I didn't like him. There are plenty of choices for purple or green troops that do true damage.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I don't have Khorvash traited yet, but doing him, Valkyrie, Crimson Bat, and Manticore works pretty well as I grind out Broken Spire for runics.

Manticore has pretty great utility to shut something else down. Having Empowered let's you shut down Mercy and the like on turn one. Khorvash and Bat are plenty of offense as it is.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is this for offense or defense? If I ever do PVP again, my defense team will be Khorvash/Marsh Raptor/Mist Stalker/Night Terror. No gem generators, but everything is dead simple for the AI to use. With Behemoth instead of Khorvash, this team had a 30% win rate, which was wildly better than anything else I fielded.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy poo poo, leveling my sorcerer class made sun & moon hit for 12. Still need to get a team that synergies, but a fully nuke based team is getting me there. So much has changed from before.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Been running a Knight team with Knight Coronet, Lion Prince, Pride Guard, Templar. True Damage is a problem though.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Hey hey, could I get an invite to the guild? Code is Rhabban

I cant beat Sheggra for love nor money, but Im going to keep swinging away. Maybe open a few more chests and see if I can get some decent troops. Mostly I think I need souls to get some of my troops up

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Moreau posted:

I cant beat Sheggra for love nor money, but Im going to keep swinging away. Maybe open a few more chests and see if I can get some decent troops. Mostly I think I need souls to get some of my troops up
Invited you to Gem Blossums. :)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'd like to be in an active guild too. I'll have to leave my current one tonight, I'll post again then.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Moreau posted:

Skip her for now. I moved on to other kingdoms first.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ok, could I get an invite to the guild? My invite code is EMRON

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Emron posted:

Ok, could I get an invite to the guild? My invite code is EMRON

Invited to Gem Boiz.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

gromdul posted:

Skip her for now. I moved on to other kingdoms first.

You dont need to tell me twice - I cant even get close. Although now I have a lot more troops, thanks to all these glory keys I get through the guild. So many chests!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Moreau posted:

You dont need to tell me twice - I cant even get close. Although now I have a lot more troops, thanks to all these glory keys I get through the guild. So many chests!

Completing Broken Spire to unlock The Arena used to be a bigger deal back when it was worth doing. Just level up some of your better troops and it will get easier.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The OP is pretty outdated, but the advice about all-goblins is still pretty good. Tacet the Terror on YouTube recently posted a video about 10 good teams. Useful for all level ranges (but I like my teams better).

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there an order to do the kingdoms in? As in, are some kingdoms easier than others? It turns out, I'm really quite pathetically hopeless at this game - I basically struggle to win anything outside of Broken Spire sans Sheggra.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Moreau posted:

Is there an order to do the kingdoms in? As in, are some kingdoms easier than others? It turns out, I'm really quite pathetically hopeless at this game - I basically struggle to win anything outside of Broken Spire sans Sheggra.

As far as I remember, not really. They're equally challenging. Unfortunately, the characters you unlock for completing the early kingdoms aren't that great.

What team/weapon are you using?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I think they're all about the same. I remember that I had a hard time at first, too. Just keep at it and save up for your dragon armor, and it will get easier bit by bit.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

At the moment I'm running with Lance Knight (L4), Goblin (L5), Goblin Shaman (L5), and Valkyrie (L4) - all at level 5 or lower. I don't think that will work though - as I can only really do damage as the Goblin.

I've been toying with a combination of Settite Warrior and Lance Knight; or Lion Prince and Alchemist - but I havent been able to get them to work yet.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Moreau posted:

At the moment I'm running with Lance Knight (L4), Goblin (L5), Goblin Shaman (L5), and Valkyrie (L4) - all at level 5 or lower. I don't think that will work though - as I can only really do damage as the Goblin.

I've been toying with a combination of Settite Warrior and Lance Knight; or Lion Prince and Alchemist - but I havent been able to get them to work yet.

Lance Knight
Hero (Blue weapon or Crude Club)
Settite Warrior
Valkyrie

You get a bonus for having two knights, SWs ability synergizes with LK, Valk gives mana to LK and Hero if you use a blue weapon. Or you could sub Goblin for Valkyrie and move him above SW in the lineup. Valkyrie is useful at all points in the game because of her ability and soul generation, however.

Or:

Lance Knight
Lion Prince
Goblin/Hero
Settite Warrior

3x Knight bonus is good early on.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Moreau posted:

I got my first souls to level my teams with by playing the arena. Once you get some levels and a decent team the kingdoms get much easier. Then eventually you have a team of epics and crush the kingdoms easily!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah, take heart in the fact that while kingdoms are hard now, eventually you'll be able to just burn through an entire kingdom in, like, half an hour.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moreau posted:

At the beginning, the challenge is to make an okay team with what you get. If you don't have troops that have good synchronicity with each other, just aim to cover all the colors at the very least.

Actually, I kind of miss some of that kind of challenge where the kingdom bosses were actually difficult and you'd have to tweak your team accordingly. I remember one of the bosses was something like a fortress gate and a dog with the boss on bottom, and the fortress gate would take it while the dog would make your lead attacker useless so you'd have to try and get direct attacks on the dog while using Luther to get your attack back up and effective enough to take on and survive the boss.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Actually, I kind of miss some of that kind of challenge where the kingdom bosses were actually difficult and you'd have to tweak your team accordingly. I remember one of the bosses was something like a fortress gate and a dog with the boss on bottom, and the fortress gate would take it while the dog would make your lead attacker useless so you'd have to try and get direct attacks on the dog while using Luther to get your attack back up and effective enough to take on and survive the boss.

Yeah, War Dogs were responsible for so many stalled out matches when I started out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are there any spots in a goon guild? Invite code is MARCUSSA

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Sorry guys, my laptop broke a couple of days ago and I'm in the process of getting a replacement. I will be out for a few more days. Maybe next time I'll set it up so I can play on mobile in these emergencies.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
You can play on mobile and steam with the same account.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Unfortunately their account linking is dumb and clunky and you need to initiate it from your primary account, which I can't, since my PC is kaput.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

MarcusSA posted:

Are there any spots in a goon guild? Invite code is MARCUSSA

Invited to Gem Boiz - I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

porktree posted:

Invited to Gem Boiz - I think.

Perfect! Thanks.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a decent online guide to which traitstones each kingdom drops after "explore" battles?

The search results in Google were a bunch of threads from December and a half-asses wikia page.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Is there a decent online guide to which traitstones each kingdom drops after "explore" battles?

The search results in Google were a bunch of threads from December and a half-asses wikia page.

They drop the color trait stones for their kingdom. Divinion fields does yellow, purple, and yellow/purple, for example.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

When you click Explore, it will show the traitstones for the particular kingdom.

If you're aiming for a particular color of traitstone, Explore in one of the single color kingdoms.

If you're looking for a particular Arcane traitstone, farm the kingdom that corresponds with those colors. For example, I need Red/Blue Arcane stones for Crimson Bat's traits, so I'm farming Mist of Scales. If I just needed red or blue stones, however, I would farm either Pridelands or Stormheim to guarantee a particular color drop.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this has got most of them

http://gems-of-war.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdoms#World_Map

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I think this one is a bit more up to date:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Having been away from the game for like 6 months what should I be spending my glory on?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

Having been away from the game for like 6 months what should I be spending my glory on?

Ideally on a troop or traitstone that you want from the weekly glory bundle.

Personally I buy one of each bundle every week and then buy more if there's a traitstone in one that I'm actively seeking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jibo posted:

Ideally on a troop or traitstone that you want from the weekly glory bundle.

Personally I buy one of each bundle every week and then buy more if there's a traitstone in one that I'm actively seeking.

Ok thanks I'll do that!

Oh yeah is there a reason to buy multiple glory bundles?

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 30, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Blacula posted:

I think this one is a bit more up to date:

from my experience, whitehelm is broken as gently caress; it's supposed to give 10 glory, it's my home kingdom so it should be doubled, but i can't remember getting even 10 glory at a time from tributes for about a month now. :argh:

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks I'll do that!

Oh yeah is there a reason to buy multiple glory bundles?

Jibo posted:

buy more if there's a traitstone in one that I'm actively seeking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ah ok I see now. I was more thinking about the cards you get but I guess there isn't much reason to have multiple ones of them.