Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets :regd08:

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Today's last line must have been added in by the editor again.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dick Tracy does Misery? :ohdear:

quote:

Judge Parker

Is she dead or just staring in shock?
That's just oil leaking down her face right? :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 29, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow, Marciuliano just blew straight past "dare I draw a negro?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus gently caress, that's grim.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its fine she's only a little impaled on that tree

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Ghostlight posted:

Wow, Marciuliano just blew straight past "dare I draw a negro?"

New Judge Parker is 100% not loving around and I love it. I hope he can keep this up over the course of a multitude of new and exciting horrors.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SomeMathGuy posted:

New Judge Parker is 100% not loving around and I love it. I hope he can keep this up over the course of a multitude of new and exciting horrors.

Remember how awesome the new Phantom was with Savara and Gravelines?

Do NOT disappoint us, Cel!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

MEXICAN WAVE!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Deep Dark Fears

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

welp thats another one to think about

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Even in the West ripping off grieving relatives is a perfectly worthwhile business model without having to drag ghosts into it. The main obstacle to an insurance scheme is that anyone asking questions like "do I really want my family to go broke buying a thousand dollar suit for me to wear when I'm dead" is more likely to respond by saying "do not bankrupt yourselves paying for my funeral you morons" than buying insurance.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Right after Jungle Jim it may seem a little hard to believe, but I can't help but read this as the tribesmen trying to scam free food off of the Phantom before actually helping him.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I don't know why he keeps adding those postscripts. I can't edit them easily since they're not in a white box, and they never add anything anyway.

Anyway, context! This comic was posted a few months after Sewol and is obviously referencing it, so that's an excuse for me to write about what happened since the last time you heard about it in the news.

You know how investigating Benghazi is this huge fixation with the Republican Party? Sewol is kind of like that for the South Korean left. The important differences- seventy times as many people died in Sewol. Independent investigation has indicated the main cause for the sinking was not a random freak accident, but deregulation creating perverse incentives in regards to crew training, safety standards, and import tariffs (the island Sewol was going to is in a special economic zone). After the attack, rescue boats spent several hours outside Sewol literally doing nothing because they were awaiting orders that never came. Most of the victims could have been saved had action been more prompt. In the aftermath of the sinking, the right-wing political party (Saenuri) tried to sweep all this under the rug. When family members of the victims started protesting, conservative activists responded by mocking them and accusing them of being communist opportunists. Conservative self-awareness of the optics of this has been so fantastically bad that they taunted hunger striking protestors by eating pizza in front of them.

That's in reference to an old hunger strike, not the newer one earlier this month which is directed at the government trying to shut down the official government committee by cutting funding when it's only about halfway finished. The official investigation started about sixteen months after the disaster happened. You can perhaps see why to this day there is a twenty-four hour protest at Gwanghwamun Square, one of the biggest tourist areas in Seoul. On the grassroots level anger about this has been huge. Saenuri has a metric fuckton of problems right now- Sewol just happens to be the most visible one. It's why they got their asses handed to them the last parliamentary election and also why whoever they nominate for President next year is facing longer odds than Trump at actually winning. Saenuri's only plan for electoral victory at this point is literally redbaiting, and even with everything North Korea is doing in regards to nuclear tests, no one is buying it anymore. People used to think Sunshine Policy was the ultimate in naive optimism but the situation has gotten so much worse in the nine years since it was abandoned that Saenuri no longer has any credibility on national security.

That you probably were not aware of any of this until some guy on a comedy website's message board told you is, I hope, the surest possible evidence that nearly everyone writing about Korean issues in English today is a lovely hack. I mean, sheesh, I'm a film critic, not a journalist, but even in that limited field the effect this has had locally is so huge you practically have to stick your fingers in your ears to not be aware of it. Either that or get blackout drunk every night instead of doing actual research.

edit: Oh, one more thing. They've only just now gotten around to actually salvaging the ship and getting close to recovering the bodies. This is probably why Saenuri thought they could kill the committee prematurely. That they seriously thought that after all this time and gently caress-ups this would satisfy the issue well...again, they're just horribly tone-deaf is the main problem here.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Anyway, context!

This post is an A++ post. Thanks for an interesting read!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Strong Men Also Cry

and no, I can't read what's lettered on that not at all photo-traced car, even with Gocomics' zoom. Shordsach Funeral Home?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

and no, I can't read what's lettered on that not at all photo-traced car, even with Gocomics' zoom. Shordsach Funeral Home?

Shortstack. By burying bodies on top of each other, they can pass the savings on to you!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Selachian posted:

my beloved son, Infant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh, it's supposed to be the 30s.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slammy posted:

True North

I've actually had this problem now and then.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Selachian posted:

Waitwaitwait. So in that earlier strip about the guy rushing to a hospital to hear the last words of his wife, the wife was also pregnant? I haven't followed this strip at all, the hospital strip just caught my eye since the structure reminded me a lot of certain other strip.

So it was literally loss 2.0. Buckley should be proud.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Well that was a fine Good Morning.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

This is about sex, isn't it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's obviously going to live so they have a solid link into the underage drink driving investigation. The other girl has to survive so they can blame each other for causing it and have courtroom drama. The guys in the back might have names but I honestly don't know if they do, so they're irrelevant to the story. That only leaves the driving boyfriend.

So, I'm betting the driving kid has had his head smashed like a coconut filled with jam and that's his blood splashed on her face.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

She picked the wrong day.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Ces: "Because you should really see the original black & white artwork for today’s strip." He really loves Manley's line work on this one.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

EasyEW posted:

Ces: "Because you should really see the original black & white artwork for today’s strip." He really loves Manley's line work on this one.

Hello, nightmares!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Judge Parker has gone even grimmer than I was expecting. Amazing.

Okay, so will the newspapers be deluged in complaints from very old people, or will the strip become more and more grim and inappropriate while nobody notices but us?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so will the newspapers be deluged in complaints from very old people, or will the strip become more and more grim and inappropriate while nobody notices but us?
Judging by the comments on ComicsKingdom, people are pretty much all for it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Her hair is going 'up'. She's probably hanging upside down from a tree or something, having been thrown from the crash and miraculously alive and mostly unharmed. Unfortunately.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

There's no sex or jokes, so it's probably safe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Goofus tries to create drama and pathos in his by fridgingkilling off the main character's wife and unborn child, but gives that character no personality, barely has her appear in the comic before her death, had the death happen in two panels, and is incapable of making his main character sound natural.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Gallant creates drama and pathos (and also tension) in his comic by potentially killing off a main character while leaving the reader wondering what's going to happen, but also by building slowly to a reveal, and having a setup that is believable and is presented through a tertiary character who both sounds like and is reacting like an actual human being.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 6, 1951)

Nancy (September 20, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 3, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 18, 1923)

Barney Google (June 19, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 18, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 15, 1937)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

classic nancy is so good

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

EasyEW posted:

Christ that's even more haunting. Can't wait to see how this storyline shakes out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's very directionally lit. Some serious burns in someone's future? Hideous disfigurement?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How long does it take to go from New York to San Francisco in an early 1920s car?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About four days by train, probably.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

goatface posted:

About four days by train, probably.

By a 1920s car though? Probably more like a month. You didn't have highways or interstates back then, and vehicles were still uncommon, so you'd have to stick to the major major routes so you can get gas.
Honestly, I don't think anyone traveled that far by car. You could just take a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (September 1, 1969)

Snoopy's writing did eventually become a book...of sorts. And we got to see Lucy's cover. (Spoilered in case you'd prefer to dream.)

Bull Bushka? That Name Rings A Bell! AHAHAHAHAHA! Inappropriate concussion jokes!

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 2-3, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 18, 1930)

• Locked thread