Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In the 90s Spidey cartoon, Doctor Octopus had a German accent - which seemed like such a perfect fit!

I've never seen any evidence that the comic book version had any sort of accent. Has it ever been suggested, or was that just a 'toon thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, his name certainly suggests SOME German ancestry, but no, in the comics it's never been suggested. Much like Kingpin being British despite growing up in Brooklyn, it was cartoon shorthand.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Much like Kingpin being British despite growing up in Brooklyn, it was cartoon shorthand.

... what?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red posted:

... what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwauBJAfMXg

Red
Apr 15, 2003

That's just a rich snooty guy accent.

See: Crane, Frasier

Also: Lithgow, John

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

That's just a rich snooty guy accent.

See: Crane, Frasier

Also: Lithgow, John

Well it's called the Midatlantic for a reason, so it's a somewhat reasonable mistake to make.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Otto is a German name but giving him an accent makes him an immigrant and there was never anything to suggest that Dr. Octopus was any less a homegrown New Yorker than Spider-Man. But it made for a distinct voice in the cartoon and that's usually a good move if you can get away with it.

Also, who still has the last name Octavius in the 20th century? His family is keeping that ancient Roman heritage strong.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Are we supposed to believe that Roderick Kingsley was able to break down the goblin formula he found, and improved upon it himself - or did he have some scientists do it for him, and then he killed them?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doesn't he not have goblin powers at all? Unless I missed a new comic where he got them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't he not have goblin powers at all? Unless I missed a new comic where he got them.

No, I believe it was established he took a stable version of the Goblin Serum that gave him all the advanced strength & toughness without driving him cuckoo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, I believe it was established he took a stable version of the Goblin Serum that gave him all the advanced strength & toughness without driving him cuckoo.

Right.

So Kingsley, a fashion designer, was able to improve upon a formula that Norman Osborn, world-famous billionaire engineer/chemist/scientist, could not.

Granted, Norman had already taken the formula before he knew the side effects, but still.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kingsley has always been a Mary Sue to an extent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think it's explicit that Kingsley tinkered with the formula himself. Kingsley found Osborn's old notes, versions of formulas, and raided Osborn's chemical warehouses (his legitimate business ones I mean). I think you can infer that the formula the Osborns took had not been perfected and it was Norman who knew or hypothesized how it could be done and Kingsley followed through on that.

Lobok posted:

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

As an update for anyone else who might be interested, the Hero for Hire stuff from the 70s has now been added to Marvel Unlimited. Previously it was just issue #1.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I know is how can you name your child "Otto Octavius" and NOT expect him to grow up to be an octopus themed villain?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

All I know is how can you name your child "Otto Octavius" and NOT expect him to grow up to be an octopus themed villain?

I love how JJJ explicitly noted that in Spider-Man 2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I hate to double post, and I have gone on the record with my dislike of Web Warriors, but drat this cover is fantastic:

:swoon:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 3, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate to double post, and I have gone on the record with my dislike of Web Warriors, but drat this cover is fantastic:

You're allowed to like Rivera's art. It'd be suspicious if you didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks like it's half of a bigger piece. I'm just gonna imagine that the left hand part would have Peter, Kaine, Miguel and Ben on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're all swinging around a giant pole like a big ol' game of Spider-Tetherball.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I figure they're all webslinging into the sunset, going by the lighting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is another great webswinging cover he did years ago, I think during his first stint on Spider-Man comics.

Spectacular Spider-Man v2 #14

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Very good cover.

Too bad Spider-Girl's in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Little Mac posted:

Very good cover.

Booo. Boo to you sir!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

Very good cover.

You need to specify.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

That... that is beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please replace all versions of Spider-man with Newspaper Spider-Man, thank you

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rhyno posted:

You need to specify.

Specifically May Parker, obviously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

Hasn't Arana been calling herself Spider-girl for years now?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Hasn't Arana been calling herself Spider-girl for years now?

Since she's from the "real" universe that Richards restored, and everyone else comes from a world invented from Franklin's fevered imaginings, we should call Araña the one true Spider-Girl. You know, to distinguish them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Why do you dislike her so much?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why do you dislike her so much?

To vex you.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

To vex you.
Look, if I wanted to read people being pointlessly contrarian, I'd go to CineD and take SuperMechaGodzilla off my ignore list.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Look, if I wanted to read people being pointlessly contrarian, I'd go to CineD and take SuperMechaGodzilla off my ignore list.

Why would you ignore the best poster of CineD?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SMG is the best CineD poster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Aw, that's so mean to all the others.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why would you ignore the best poster of CineD?

SynthOrange posted:

Deliberately contrarian posts, SMG would be proud.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This has nothing to do with Spider-Man. Move on.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Maybe (okay I almost certainlyv am) buying into the hype when it comes to Renew Your Vows, but god dammit, everything I read about it makes me want it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't get excited by anything written by Gerry Conway in 2016.

• Locked thread