Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

you have angered kali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vegetable posted:

Procedural aren't always bad. People seem to enjoy roguelikes

I think indie devs found a goldmine in roguelikes in that gamers will apparently throw money at low-effort blocky looking pieces of crap as long as they're procedurally generated and have a lot of impenetrably complex systems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What I'm trying to say is that if NMS marketed itself as a roguelike and made all the visuals cheap SNES looking graphics instead of cheap Dreamcast-quality textures like they have now, people would probably be giving it much less poo poo.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you know my bar for considering NMS a game i would want to play is 'is this game better than Noctis'

and im pretty sure its not. like a software rendered dos game from 1997 made by a single guy is arguably more in depth than this and that really wasnt a particularly high bar to overtake :/

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
NMS is like that episode of Full House where the Olson twin brags about her science fair project to everyone in school and how it makes perpetual energy and dispenses free soda and can be used like a jetpack and every time someone asks her if it'll do something else cool she's like "Yeah, you bet!"

And then at the end of the episode she has to go to Bob Sagat and be like "I promised my project was all these cool things, but all I have is a potato lamp! I just didn't want to tell the other kids that's all it was because they were so excited about my project!"

And Bob Sagat's like "lol you hosed up, retard. You're going to pay every student for looking at your piece of poo poo project, no matter how long they stared at it."

And then everyone learns a valuable lesson or something.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

NMS is like that episode of Full House where the Olson twin brags about her science fair project to everyone in school and how it makes perpetual energy and dispenses free soda and can be used like a jetpack and every time someone asks her if it'll do something else cool she's like "Yeah, you bet!"

And then at the end of the episode she has to go to Bob Sagat and be like "I promised my project was all these cool things, but all I have is a potato lamp! I just didn't want to tell the other kids that's all it was because they were so excited about my project!"

And Bob Sagat's like "lol you hosed up, retard. You're going to pay every student for looking at your piece of poo poo project, no matter how long they stared at it."

How old are you Jesus you must be ancient

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

exquisite tea posted:

What I'm trying to say is that if NMS marketed itself as a roguelike and made all the visuals cheap SNES looking graphics instead of cheap Dreamcast-quality textures like they have now, people would probably be giving it much less poo poo.
and none of us would hear about it or buy it until it was in a bundle for $1, like it should be

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ethanol posted:

How old are you Jesse you must be ancient

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

Procedural aren't always bad.

Procedurals suck, they should be replaced with more traditional detective stories like Colombo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

exquisite tea posted:

the other crucial thing that roguelikes have in common is that they are generally not sixty bucks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This, except it's actually the episode where Steph starts a band and they spend so much time concerned about their appearances and how cool they look onstage that they screw up the performance and learn the importance of dedicated practice.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Why couldn't they hire more people when the hype became overwhelming and they saw what people were dreaming about ? That procedural stuff should have been a foundation on which they build a fun game not the game itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hiring more people = less pre-order $$$ for me, who cares about making a game when you can release any old thing and cash in big money style.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

Why couldn't they hire more people when the hype became overwhelming and they saw what people were dreaming about ? That procedural stuff should have been a foundation on which they build a fun game not the game itself.

Don't worry brah, it's all gonna be chill n poo poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Rogue Legacy is good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

eh that'd require a total rework of the game and at least 1-2 years of delay which probably was not at all in the cards budget wise

tbh just going from what the devs said and paying 0 attention to any hype it seems like exactly the game they said it was going to be lol. they never promised a deep space sim and people who thought it would be that despite all evidence to the contrary are dumbos.

Maybe I'm just too jaded from Fable and Spore.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

eh that'd require a total rework of the game and at least 1-2 years of delay which probably was not at all in the cards budget wise

They already delayed a bunch of times and Sony would have coughed up the money for a timed exclusive deal or something. It was just dumb hubris that stopped them. Most of the work was done, just script something and write some dialogue

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

They already delayed a bunch of times and Sony would have coughed up the money for a timed exclusive deal or something. It was just dumb hubris that stopped them. Most of the work was done, just script something and write some dialogue

it was dumb hubris that stopped them from totally reworking the base game a few months from completion? idk man. the fact that there were already delays means it is even less likely that your publisher is going to approve of more delays.

Almost every single game ever that ended up needing a rework to that extent so close to the release date ended up being shovelware.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the worst decision in your life was seventy-some dollar purchase, I would have to say that was relatively inexpensive as far as life lessons go, OP.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

8 track betamax posted:

So when people gab about the amaaaazing stories in video games these days and say things like "it is a 15 hour movie" just incredible l. It is the future of entertainment....... this is what they are talking about??

gently caress you, buddy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's that game with the cards where you make decisions about your kingdom? Follow up: is it good?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

If the worst decision in your life was seventy-some dollar purchase, I would have to say that was relatively inexpensive as far as life lessons go, OP.

The city of Las Vegas just called, they'd like you to stop putting things into perspective for people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i lost like $5k trying to daytrade on Forex poo poo when I was in college so yeah in the scheme of things that's okay

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Moridin920 posted:

tbh just going from what the devs said and paying 0 attention to any hype it seems like exactly the game they said it was going to be lol. they never promised a deep space sim and people who thought it would be that despite all evidence to the contrary are dumbos.
The last thing they 'promised' was the four pillars and delivered nothing compelling in any of them.

And even then they hosed up and used previews in those videos that they never implemented, like flying alongside other ships in the Fight trailer and even the Trade trailer for some loving reason

If you take the trailers at the vague level that they've been fond of presenting then I guess they did give that much at least:

Explore - there are a lot of planets
Fight - you can shoot
Trade - you will be mining, a lot
Survive - you can take damage

congratulations, a real tour de force

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
fair enough I suppose but on the other hand if you expect video game trailers to be 100% accurate to the game then lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Moridin920 posted:

fair enough I suppose but on the other hand if you expect video game trailers to be 100% accurate to the game then lol
exactly the point, if someone saw those four trailers and realized all they showed was shooting, mining and looking at things they'd probably think there had to be something more

too bad they'd be wrong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
at least they're giving refunds I guess though

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

at least they're giving refunds I guess though

Going from memory, the user base went from 220,000 users to 15,000, or some ridiculous drop.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I think indie devs found a goldmine in roguelikes in that gamers will apparently throw money at low-effort blocky looking pieces of crap as long as they're procedurally generated and have a lot of impenetrably complex systems.

nah, most rogue-likes are free. even the best rogue-likes that have been worked on by devs for decades cost at most $5.

that's how I knew no man's sky would be a scam. $60 is not the correct price for a procedural game at all.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Going from memory, the user base went from 220,000 users to 15,000, or some ridiculous drop.

yea those are the numbers i saw lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VendaGoat posted:

Like as in currently playing on Steam or something?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CrashCat posted:

Like as in currently playing on Steam or something?

As in, that's the total amount of refunds.

Oh gently caress it, here.
http://www.inquisitr.com/3458733/no...-to-do-with-it/

90% drop.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

Rutibex posted:

nah, most rogue-likes are free. even the best rogue-likes that have been worked on by devs for decades cost at most $5.

that's how I knew no man's sky would be a scam. $60 is not the correct price for a procedural game at all.

This is true. The backlash would not have been nearly as strong if they put up honest gameplay trailers on steam and sold it for $19.99. Hello Games tried to pull the ol' Hollywood switcheroo with slick trailers and massive hype and I'm glad it's backfiring.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

90% drop.

Nah it's people playing concurrently

quote:

While the player base numbers here don’t reflect the total number of people playing the game, rather the number playing it concurrently

tbh that's not really that surprising; most games are like that esp shorter indie games with little depth.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

That article is talking about concurrent player count.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VendaGoat posted:

90% drop.

That's just the number of people playing the game. The total drop in amount of owners is way less extreme.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Jesus Christ. Sorry that a 90% drop in player population is not in direct line with refunds.

I'll submit to a frontal loving lobotomy.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Germstore posted:

That article is talking about concurrent player count.
Okay, that makes sense and is pretty much expected.

Though I do expect the percentage of returns to be way way higher on PC than PS4 anyway due to the ridiculous amount of technical problems

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Jesus Christ. Sorry that a 90% drop in player population is not in direct line with refunds.

I'll submit to a frontal loving lobotomy.

they are very different things. if it was refunds someone from steam would be showing up at Hello Games with a baseball bat demanding 8 or so million dollars back (which would be good and cool).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Germstore posted:

they are very different things. if it was refunds someone from steam would be showing up at Hello Games with a baseball bat demanding 8 or so million dollars back (which would be good and cool).

So, with a 90% drop in player population, what do you think will be the percentage of players asking for a refund?

Wait, wait, let me take a guess. Between 90 to 0%.

Does that sound about correct? Somewhere in the realm of possibility?

• Locked thread