Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Looks awesome, the blood effects are superb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It needs more skullz :colbert:

(Nah man. Sick as gently caress)

Where do people buy their Mk2/5 jump packs?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 28, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
These quad mortars are cute little things :3: Anyone have thoughts on Shatter shells? I'm running phosphex and have a decent amount of anti tank already but 4 S8 Sunder shots for another 10 points sends like a great deal.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Shattershells are great. Phosphex on the quads aren't going to hurt terminators, and you can potentially kill double-wound termies with the shattershots.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shatter shells are great for the cost. They're one of the best medium armour killers out there. In related news, after lots of reading and re-reading turns out rapiers can move and shoot their guns RAW. Heavy/ordinance weapons can't/only snap fire if the model carrying them has moved. With artillery the model firing the weapon is a crew member, so you can move and shoot those bad boys. Considering they're little automated half tracks things it sorta makes sense?

Safety Factor, Lord Twisted- have you thought about backgrounds for your mans? You can't post your mans and not tell us about them. Something cool like SRM's sticky gene seed and rainbow warrior angle. Surprisingly similar to Panascopes fluff for some reason.

GreenMarine posted:

By the middle of the Shadow Crusade the 12th Legion was committed to a path of damnation. Minds dominated by murderous psychosurgery, creeds corrupted by the influence of malign warrior lodges, they fell further into the arms of chaos with each world they murdered.

Here we have a Sicaran medium tank, one of few to survive until the late Heresy. World Eaters tank crews suffered an immense casualty rate, as their blood madness led them to shock the enemy in armoured charges, preferring to crush the foe under tread rather than fire from afar. It was not unknown for the enraged crews to abandon their vehicles intact to engage in melee assaults. Such unauthorized tactics were often met with commendation by the high command rather than admonition. Even those that retained martial discipline suffered from poor material support and atrocious states of repair as the Mechanicum pursued esoteric goals instead of operational doctrine.

Painted by me! This vehicle is minimally marked in the fashion of the 12th legion. A non-standard star marking shows membership in a warrior lodge, possibly representing a high rank. The laurels and skull marking on the main turret indicates the tank is seconded to a lead element, in this case the assault forces of Kharn and the 8th company command.

Following the apotheosis of Angron this tank would have been repainted red and marked with demonic sigils to invite the possession of its crew. Such daemon engines are few in number and hidden deep within the eye of terror. As individual vehicles are rarely identifiably marked in the 12th, we cannot speak of the fate of this specific tank.

I don't get a lot of comments on my painting when I post on Facebook, so I don't have much of an idea of what people think of this. Feedback is appreciated.

Your fluff rocks and the paint job is WE as all hell. The heat stains on the autocannons are really really clutch and I can see you've got the hang of pigments. White is a fun color to weather because it stains so easily. Your sicaran looks like it's been through hell already and you've got your basics more than aced. If you're looking to push your painting even more I'd suggest focusing on where you apply your weathering effects. I think you're onto a really unique schme with your fluff about crew running people over- the WE version of the 'corpse grinders' if you will. You can play off the idea even more by using a light red oil filter to stain your bottom panels of your tank in addition to your use of blood. Meanwhile, use less blood on the upper panels so the eye is really drawn to the contrast between the white top and dirty red bottom. The brown pigments would compliment this, but play around with their level of thickness- they would be thickest around the treads and much much less on the sloped parts. You could achieve this by mixing a small amount with spirit and creating a pigment 'filter' to put over the uppermost parts (to modulate the color and give it that brown weathered look) while clumping it really thick on the tracks and alongside the skirts. Don't let all my :words: discourage you or anything. Your tank is dope dude.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Not discouraging. That's exactly the kind of stuff I need to think about. I've got a couple rhinos and such on deck, although none are very high priority. When I do them, I'll try to work a bit more realistically in terms of where the weathering is applied.

It's hard to resist going over the top, though. \m/

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I definitely have Salamanders fluff; will effortpost when I'm not travelling about

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
This is probably not the place to ask but don't hate me too much. I decided to paint a tank mostly white, what citadel wash would I use for accents that won't overpower the white?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moose-Alini posted:

This is probably not the place to ask but don't hate me too much. I decided to paint a tank mostly white, what citadel wash would I use for accents that won't overpower the white?

You might be better off asking in the painting thread.
Because you're painting a model with a lot of large, flat areas (presumably), your best bet is probably to paint white and do an oil pin wash. You could probably muck around with color modulation as well, using very light grays/blue-grays, but it really depends on what you're painting and how much time you really want to spend on the project. You could certainly use Nuln Oil (possibly thinning it down a bit more) but you're going to have to do a lot of cleanup.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
berzerkmonkey has it down. If you want to wash white, you want to use an oil. Regular acrylic washes are just too much work and go on way too thick.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

If you want to wash white...

/

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X post of some Daemon allies I'm working on.

The Sisko posted:

Had a hell of a time converting and green stuffing this maggoth lord. He's going to be a Great Unclean One for my Nurgle army.

Also this is the board our next campaign day will be played on :

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
That's a kickass board.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moose-Alini posted:

If you look at ships, and other large machines that have been painted white, they often have rust or oil streaks down panel or rivet lines.
These are a completely different scale, but shows what I mean.

Obviously you could get a neater/more subtle look on a larger scale tank.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is there a way the imperialis militia can get a shadowsword? A friend of mine wants to use his, but it seems they cant take it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

What would people say the best use for a Stormlord is, in that vein?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

The Sisko posted:

X post of some Daemon allies I'm working on.

Also this is the board our next campaign day will be played on :

That conversion looks awesome, and I may shamelessly steal that idea and make myself another GUO.

You and SRM combined are convincing my to bear down and focus on the Sons, try and get at least the majority of them painted.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This thread generates awesome poo poo. Every table and mini posted is great.

30k best k.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Cool minis you say?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's a really creative use of that wolf emblem bit!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im putting my massive stack of SW bits ro good use. only problem is that im running out of the good ones

:negative:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zhent posted:

That conversion looks awesome, and I may shamelessly steal that idea and make myself another GUO.

You and SRM combined are convincing my to bear down and focus on the Sons, try and get at least the majority of them painted.
Once Sisko's up here we're gonna have our own little 30k group in Boston, it's gonna be awesome. I'm almost definitely taking my Heresy Ultras to NOVA next year too.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cool minis you say?

Loyalists are poo poo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Once Sisko's up here we're gonna have our own little 30k group in Boston, it's gonna be awesome. I'm almost definitely taking my Heresy Ultras to NOVA next year too.

Careful if you play with Sisko. Once you do that, you and I will become 2nd degree warhams. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

BULBASAUR posted:

Careful if you play with Sisko. Once you do that, you and I will become 2nd degree warhams. You wouldn't want that, would you?

There are definitely worse things that could happen. Some of the games I've accepted in our local store... I've stooped low to get a game at times, so very low. And your stuff is beautiful, makes things easier when I'm picking up dead marines :)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Fairly sure BULBASAUR is the Gaetan Dugas of the 30k goon set.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Those of you who've played with Bulbasaur: how often is he actually on time?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

I just tell him the time is a half hour before the time I tell everyone else.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

panascope posted:

50% so far...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

Loyalists are poo poo.

Is that the only "smear" you heretics and traitors have?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Been there done that

SRM posted:

So The Sisko came down to my hood the other day, and despite me having to take a few calls for work, we had a good time throwing down!
I don't recall the speciifcs, but our forces were more or less as follows:

My Blood Axes:
- Mad Dok Grotsnik
- Mutoid Mek (Big Mek with KFF, cybork body, klaw, kombi-skorcha, 'eavy armor)
- MANz x6 (3 kombi skorchas, one guy with killsaws)
- Big Squiggoth
- Ardboyz x12 with shootas, nob, klaw, rokkit, trukk with big shoota
- Ardboyz x12 with shootas, nob, klaw, big shoota, trukk with rokkit
- Ardboyz x12 with shootas, nob, klaw, big shoota, trukk with rokkit
- Grot Tanks x4 with kustom mega blasta, big shoota, rokkit launcha, grotzooka
- Kommandos x15 with burna x2, nob, klaw
- Kannons x4 with 11 grots or so

His Admech:
- Techpriest Dominus
- 3 Kataphron dudes with grav cannons
- 3 Kataphron dudes with grav cannons
- Ironstrider ballistarius
- Onager Dunecrawler with neutron laser
- Onager Dunecrawler with neutron laser
- 10x Skitarii rangers
- 10x Skitarii vanguard
- 5x Sicarian Ruststalkers
- 2x Kastelan robot with Datasmith
- Vindicare Assassin

We rolled up Big Guns Never Tire, with three objectives, which we placed all down the middle. We went with Dawn of War because other deployments are hard to play with in my cramped little kitchen. Here's the city of Skullingrad, before the battle started:

And with our forces in play:

Our forces were on the table, the mission to capture the central street was clear, and we went on with the battle! Turn 1 one of my trukks bogged down and the boyz had to get out:

While the gunz took aim at the chicken walker:

And the Grot Tanks opened fire on the Vindicare on top of the bastion, wounding him twice:

And Grotsnik directed Ol' Squiggly through the ruins:

One of my trukks rushed up alongside the Grot Tanks, and with a wealth of fire pouring out was able to bring down the VIndicare for First Blood. The Kannons blew away the Ironstrider, and the boyz on the right flank with the bogged down trukk put some fire into the Ruststalkers.

The turn ended with one Ruststalker going down to Ork shooting and the Orks advancing across most of the board.

They'd lost their assassin, their walker, and taken some fire across the board, but it was time for the Adeptus Mechanicus to strike back!
Aye, dis is a purdy nice view up here innit?

OY! WHO TRASHED ME TRUKK!?"

One Onager put an end to a Trukk. The Kastelan robots did their stompy robot thing and advanced:
beep. boop. beep beep boop.

They put a bunch of fire into the lead trukk:

Which they summarily also trashed:
OY! WHY'Z I WALKIN!?

The Skitarii use their weird and wonderful weapons to put four wounds down on Ol' Squiggly, leaving him with two:

The Ruststalkers try to charge my boyz in cover, but don't quite make it, losing one of their robobrethren to overwatch fire:

The tech-soldiers of the Adeptus Mechanicus have slowed the Ork advance, but will it be enough to stem the green tide?

With an ever-so-stealthy battlecry, a horde of Kommandos appears on the Ork turn!
We's real sneaky like, right boss?

While the Ork flank envelops the Mechanicus attackers.

The Orks place the Stalkers firmly in their sights:

Mad Dok Grotsnik, accompanied by Mutoid Mek and a bodyguard of Meganobz, dismount from Ol' Squiggly:

The Orks shoot up the Ruststalkers:
Get out of here, STALKER.

The grot tanks chew up the Kastellan robot before the boyz on that flank charge. The boyz are massacred but cause some damage.
beep boop. where is robodad. beep boop.

The Meganobz prepare for a disordered charge against both Skitarii units, which will cause them to take overwatch fire from both
We ain't scared-a nuthin!
Overwatch puts one wound on one Nob, and they make the charge!

The fight's a massacre, and the lone surviving Skitari runs offboard
Deez tinboyz is weedy! Bring me a real fight!

The Adeptus Mechanics forces are in trouble; their center has collapsed and while one flank has weathered the battle thus far, the Ork noose is tightening on the other. They try to protect their warlord while putting as much attention as possible on taking out the Meganobz.

The Onager and Kataphron troops try to protect their Techpriest:

While the Ruststalkers attempt to move in on the Meganobz:
destroy greenskin threat. beedeebeedeebeedee

The surviving Kastelan shoots up and charges the Grot Tanks. intending to carry out its revenge
robodad noooooo

The shooting from grav cannons and elsewhere kill three of the Meganobz and put wounds elsewhere in the unit:

The Ruststalkers charge the Meganobz, intending to do some damage:

Their squad leader is challenged by Grotsnik. He puts a wound on the Mad Dok, but is killed in return.
About time somebody put up a fight! Hurr hurr hurr!

The Meganobz wiped out the stalkers and consolidated towards the warlord and his little castle:

The Kastelan had killed a Grot Tank, and the surviving tanks drove off. Ol' Squiggly was closing in for the kill, ready to engage in some monster-on-monster action:

Which he promptly won.

With the Orks firmly holding the road and closing the noose on the Techpriest Dominus and his few remaining forces, we declared an Ork victory. The forces of the Adeptus Mechanics withdrew from the planet, and the Imperium deployed its deadliest weapon on Skullingrad, ensuring no Ork would walk its streets again:

The Sisko was a really fun dude to play, and I hope next time he's in town we can have a rematch - or hey, maybe even play that Horus Heresy game we've both sunk a bunch of money into!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SRM posted:

Been there done that

Truly , I have the best friends. In other news, I got started my Great Unclean One for my Word Bearers. He's been a blast to paint so far and I'll probably have him finished by tomorrow.

In the meantime enjoy this WIP.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Ahaha. That's incredible. In the time that you painted him from grey plastic to almost complete, I packed my car. And the only reason I'm calling that hobby progress is because it's got 5 armies in it for the trip to NOVA.

What are you using for the green range for the skin?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Zhent posted:

Ahaha. That's incredible. In the time that you painted him from grey plastic to almost complete, I packed my car. And the only reason I'm calling that hobby progress is because it's got 5 armies in it for the trip to NOVA.

What are you using for the green range for the skin?

Thanks for the kind words duder. The green was actually a 3 step process. The first was giving the model a zenithal prime with my airbrush . Then I went over the whole model with Secret Weapon Miniatures Dark Sepia, making sure to spray to very thin costs. Then finally I did the same with Cathionan Camoshade. Gives it that warm brownish green color.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cool minis you say?
That dreadnought turned out great. Nice highlights and the grey looks really smooth.

BULBASAUR posted:

Safety Factor, Lord Twisted- have you thought about backgrounds for your mans? You can't post your mans and not tell us about them. Something cool like SRM's sticky gene seed and rainbow warrior angle. Surprisingly similar to Panascopes fluff for some reason.
Unfortunately, I don't have anything to add. :shobon: I've got tons of ideas when it comes to modelling my army and know exactly how I want to proceed. I just draw a blank on making up background and always have. I'm not the type to name my HQs and my guys aren't going to represent the Xth Company of the Yth Expeditionary Fleet or whatever. They're simply my interpretation of a Dark Angels army. Besides, I don't even have any real details of how 30k Dark Angels are organized since there's been so little written about them so far by Forge World. Though I will say that I enjoyed the appearance of the Dark Sovereign in book VI. Some Dark Angels appeared out of nowhere in a relic ship of some kind, wrecked poo poo, and stole a bunch of supplies before disappearing again. If that's how Forge World is going to present them in the future, I'm down.

On a different note, I'm finally putting together my Fire Raptor and this build is going to be interesting. I'm using a heat gun to bend everything into place as I go and have already managed to irreparably warp a part of the plastic hull plate. :shepface: Not sure how that happened because I wasn't even directly heating that thing, but it's obvious that the plastic is more susceptible to heat damage than the resin. Luckily, I can source a replacement (and a bunch of other parts I don't need) off of ebay for like $10 so it's not a big loss. I have the fuselage together other than that plastic panel and I'll kill time waiting for the replacement by cleaning and building the turrets, wings, etc. That and gap filling.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This is another one of those models I'd been eyeing for a long, long time, but after seeing a bunch in the flesh (well, resin) I had to pick one up! Here's my Sicaran Battle tank:

I really loved painting this thing, and there's something gratifying about spending hours doing countless thin coats of white only to splatter mud all over them!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I've been putting off building a Land Raider for my HQ because I was torn between going whole hog and getting a MkIIB or being lazier and building the plastic kit as normal. The other day on /tg/ I read a suggestion to use the Stormraven sponsons as a cheaper way to get a similar look. Fuckin' fantastic, I thought. Why didn't I think of that? So I set about cutting up some unused Razorback guns and put together a rough and ready version:

Hey, that's not too bad. Lets see how it looks on the hull.

gently caress.

Of course it was too small, it was made for a Rhino hatch. Thankfully I spotted something I could use and after some quick grinding I came up with this:

What say you Goons? Is this worth continuing with or should I abandon this madness while I still can?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Secutarii are finally up for sale and with experimental rules.

e. nevermind, they're not supported in 30k yet. gently caress you FW.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

Secutarii are finally up for sale and with experimental rules.

e. nevermind, they're not supported in 30k yet. gently caress you FW.

Either way peltasts are cool but hoplites should have had like rending on their spears, something to make them threatening to non vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

So I've been putting off building a Land Raider for my HQ because I was torn between going whole hog and getting a MkIIB or being lazier and building the plastic kit as normal. The other day on /tg/ I read a suggestion to use the Stormraven sponsons as a cheaper way to get a similar look. Fuckin' fantastic, I thought. Why didn't I think of that? So I set about cutting up some unused Razorback guns and put together a rough and ready version:

Hey, that's not too bad. Lets see how it looks on the hull.

gently caress.

Of course it was too small, it was made for a Rhino hatch. Thankfully I spotted something I could use and after some quick grinding I came up with this:

What say you Goons? Is this worth continuing with or should I abandon this madness while I still can?

I think it looks fine, and is unique. If you really want the old timey look you can probably get a recast MKIIB or Achilles conversion kit for the armoured sponsons.