Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

It's like someone saw the Crossbones costume and decided they needed something less practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's an angry white guy who kills the poo poo out of people because that's real and he's so angry and morally conflicted all the time and his backstory is crazy tragic but he's just so god-damned good at killing people he can take out the Justice League by himself.

In other words, why wouldn't the current DC be loving obsessed with Deathstroke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deathstroke is Evil Batman/Captain America. He's a Mostly Regular Guy whose power is being really super talented and smart and abnormally good at gettin' strong. DC's obsession with him isn't anything new, he's been a long-term fixture of the company for decades now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why do they insist on giving him this bulky rear end armor that never looks good in anything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Why do they insist on giving him this bulky rear end armor that never looks good in anything?

The same reason they do Batman, because ~tactical realism.~

In this case they also probably are a bit hesitant because Deadpool made All The Money and they don't want to end up with people going "He's like Deadpool but boring and not funny!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

When his first N52 series launched that's what they gave him along with a giant sword. His Rebirth book has him back in a form fitting suit that looks pretty excellent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ImpAtom posted:

In this case they also probably are a bit hesitant because Deadpool made All The Money and they don't want to end up with people going "He's like Deadpool but boring and not funny!"

This is exactly who he is though :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is exactly who he is though :shrug:

Well, more accurately Deadpool is like him but eventually became a funny (or 'funny') version. Still, I doubt anyone's going to care about that minutia when he's getting punched repeatedly in the balls by Aquaman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is not funny Deadpool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool originally started as a Deathstroke rip-off but thankfully became more than that over the years

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC is clinging to Deathstroke because he's the only time they got ripped off by Marvel instead of the other way around since 1938

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty sure Thanos was ripped off from Darkseid but I could be wrong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Deathstroke should've been renamed Slade ages ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Deathstroke should've been renamed Slade ages ago.

Slade the Terminator isn't as 90s badass as DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR

But of course they can't use his full name because litigation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

DC is clinging to Deathstroke because he's the only time they got ripped off by Marvel instead of the other way around since 1938

The Doom Patrol. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Deathstroke is Evil Batman/Captain America. He's a Mostly Regular Guy whose power is being really super talented and smart and abnormally good at gettin' strong. DC's obsession with him isn't anything new, he's been a long-term fixture of the company for decades now.

He was the main Teen Titans enemy in the 1980s, then I think he was a sort of Suicide Squad type anti-hero (?) with his own comic in the 1990s. But I think him being pushed as an A-list villain who had a seat at the table in the Secret Society's inner circle only happened because of the cartoon, where he was a) this invincible master planner bad guy rather than an assassin-for-hire; and b) played by Ron Perlman. From there, he had his dumbass fight with the Justice League in Identity Crisis and that made him into one of the main villains in the Infinite Crisis era.

Roth posted:

The suit that he (well, Wintergreen) had in the first season of Arrow looked fine. Then in the second season of Arrow, he gets this costume that makes him look like a really determined hockey goalkeeper.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah yes, when he managed to stab flash in the shoulder.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Clearly the people who came up with the Cyborg designed were involved in this atrocity.

I love the person who said Cyborg looks like an Nvidia graphics card.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

Ah yes, when he managed to stab flash in the shoulder.

He also defeated Black Canary by putting a bag over her head.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
E: I think I just got mixed up about something, move along please.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I actually liked the Arrow S1 costume way way more than this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was the main Teen Titans enemy in the 1980s, then I think he was a sort of Suicide Squad type anti-hero (?) with his own comic in the 1990s. But I think him being pushed as an A-list villain who had a seat at the table in the Secret Society's inner circle only happened because of the cartoon, where he was a) this invincible master planner bad guy rather than an assassin-for-hire; and b) played by Ron Perlman. From there, he had his dumbass fight with the Justice League in Identity Crisis and that made him into one of the main villains in the Infinite Crisis era.

The suit that he (well, Wintergreen) had in the first season of Arrow looked fine. Then in the second season of Arrow, he gets this costume that makes him look like a really determined hockey goalkeeper.

https://i.imgur.com/gHhhSFF.gifv

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I dunno, I don't think it looks awful. :shrug:

However:

Rhyno posted:

He looks like one of the robots from the Mortal Kombat films.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like how DC made two really good cartoons shows with Teen Titans and then learned absolutely nothing from the experiences.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

The Doom Patrol. :colbert:

I like how people always talk about X-men being a rip off of Doom Patrol, but then Doom Patrol is a rip off of Fantastic 4.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure Thanos was ripped off from Darkseid but I could be wrong.

I read that they were actually using Metron for the basis of Thanos, hence the flying chair, but then Stan Lee (i think) saw this and said "Why aren't we ripping off the good New God?" and then they switched it to Darkseid. I mean, I like Metron but he's far, far inferior to Darkseid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

I like how people always talk about X-men being a rip off of Doom Patrol, but then Doom Patrol is a rip off of Fantastic 4.

And then Teen Titans was a ripoff of X-Men anyway.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We'd be here all day if we kept up which characters are rip-offs of which, and which company has done it worse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

When his first N52 series launched that's what they gave him along with a giant sword. His Rebirth book has him back in a form fitting suit that looks pretty excellent.

Stop trying to trick me into reading Deathstroke dammit!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Priest's Deathstroke run has started out pretty strong so far. I'm still not a big enough fan of the character to want him to show up in everything though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Toxxupation posted:

He's an angry white guy who kills the poo poo out of people because that's real and he's so angry and morally conflicted all the time and his backstory is crazy tragic but he's just so god-damned good at killing people he can take out the Justice League by himself.

JLA: Tower of Babel, a Zack Snyder film

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Stop trying to trick me into reading Deathstroke dammit!

He has SEX in the newest issue!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think this looks too bad at all.

I also like the Flash costume.

:c00l:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Roth posted:

We'd be here all day if we kept up which characters are rip-offs of which, and which company has done it worse.

Early Image.

Deathstroke is cool when people aren't trying to make him the coolest guy who can take down the Justice League all by himself and defeat Green Lantern by grabbing his hand and making the ring do what he wants because his willpower is just so strong and all that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

Let's face it though, we're going to be here all day anyway.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

Let's face it though, we're going to be here all day anyway.

poo poo

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

catlord posted:

Deathstroke is cool when people aren't trying to make him the coolest guy who can take down the Justice League all by himself and defeat Green Lantern by grabbing his hand and making the ring do what he wants because his willpower is just so strong and all that.

Everything about that fight was terrible and made every league member involved look like a moron.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite thing about that Thor video is the bit with Banner and how he keeps waking up wearing cutoffs.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite thing about that Thor video is the bit with Banner and how he keeps waking up wearing cutoffs.

But why does it keep happening??

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is my favourite bit.

or the bit where Thor drew fanart of Mjolnir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It strikes me that we've had nine live-action Batman films so far, and we've never really had a truly great fight sequence where Batman fights an opponent of equal or similar skill outside of The Dark Knight Rises, and I guess Batman v Superman (but that film is bobbins). I guess there's that bit on the train at the end of Batman Begins but, though I love that film, that fight sequence isn't its finest moment.

So I guess Deathstroke could provide that kind of scene, seeming as he's so great at fighting and all.

• Locked thread