Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Series DD Funding posted:

What kind of lovely companies have you worked at :gonk:

My current job is the least lovely one I've ever had and I was uninsured for a month because you can only start our plan on the first of the month and my start date was the 3rd, so welp. Previous job had a three month standard waiting period but IDK if that changed when they changed providers or with PPACA passage. IIRC the one before that had the same thing, but that was a while back and I'm just going by memory.

Might be a quirk in Minnesota law? :shrug:

E: I should mention that I wouldn't have had a coverage gap if I hadn't taken a few weeks of funemployment because my previous employer's plan would have covered me though the end of the month I quit.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
As far as I've experienced (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa) it's standard practice for a new place to not start coverage until the first of the month following your start date. Same as Munkeymon my previous employer's plan would cover through the end of the month of the last working date. This last job hop I managed to line those dates up to have a week off without a coverage gap :unsmith:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I feel like this is dependent on state since I've always gotten coverage immediately.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
If it is state dependent and Kansas handles this they way they handle everything else, it's the bare minimum in order to not get sued in federal court.

But it might also be down to the company or even the insurance carrier that the company contracts with. That's one downside of the system that we've got in the US: it's sometimes hard to tell who specifically is loving you.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Zero The Hero posted:

The contracting company is the one who gave me insurance, actually. It's the company they contracted me with that isn't going to give me insurance after becoming an employee.

You could suck it up and pay COBRA prices in the meantime.

Is changing jobs a qualifying life event in ACA? You could sign up for an ACA plan. If you don't use it, never pay the bill. If you happen to need it, then pay the bill. They have to give you a certain grace period to pay and it's a way of getting the safety of insurance without actually having it for a limited time, but I forget the details.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Signing up without the intention to pay sounds very illegal. Also very immoral.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Certainly immoral.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm pretty sure Gounads' advice about not paying turbofucks your credit worse than any other medical emergency you might have while uninsured.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gounads posted:

You could suck it up and pay COBRA prices in the meantime.

Is changing jobs a qualifying life event in ACA? You could sign up for an ACA plan. If you don't use it, never pay the bill. If you happen to need it, then pay the bill. They have to give you a certain grace period to pay and it's a way of getting the safety of insurance without actually having it for a limited time, but I forget the details.

Cobra prices are ridiculous. I can pay several hundred a month to have access to insurance, but it has such a high deductible I couldn't possibly use it during the 60 days I don't have access to insurance through my company. Or, I can pay the ACA fine and pray I don't end up in a hospital in the next 60 days. I've already been putting off going to the doctor for months. This is terrible for both my wallet and my health.

If this is a state thing, which states don't allow corporations to gently caress over employees like this?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Zero The Hero posted:

Cobra prices are ridiculous. I can pay several hundred a month to have access to insurance, but it has such a high deductible I couldn't possibly use it during the 60 days I don't have access to insurance through my company. Or, I can pay the ACA fine and pray I don't end up in a hospital in the next 60 days. I've already been putting off going to the doctor for months. This is terrible for both my wallet and my health.

If this is a state thing, which states don't allow corporations to gently caress over employees like this?

COBRA is you extending your current insurance past your employment end-date. Same plan. You just pay the full premium plus 2%. I've done it, didn't even change insurance cards or anything.

Also, I misremembered, you have to pay the first month to get in the grace period loophole.
http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2014/11/17/how-consumers-might-game-the-90-day-grace-period-and-what-can-be-done-about-it/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gounads posted:

COBRA is you extending your current insurance past your employment end-date. Same plan. You just pay the full premium plus 2%. I've done it, didn't even change insurance cards or anything.

Also, I misremembered, you have to pay the first month to get in the grace period loophole.
http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2014/11/17/how-consumers-might-game-the-90-day-grace-period-and-what-can-be-done-about-it/

COBRA is shockingly expensive because most people don't know what their employers contribute to their premiums.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

I'm pretty sure Gounads' advice about not paying turbofucks your credit worse than any other medical emergency you might have while uninsured.

No, medical insurance is really loving weird. They aren't allowed to penalize you for not paying beyond cutting off coverage, and Anthem outright wouldn't let me cancel my coverage in any way other than just disabling the automatic payments and ignoring all the letters they sent me warning that my coverage would lapse.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Plorkyeran posted:

No, medical insurance is really loving weird. They aren't allowed to penalize you for not paying beyond cutting off coverage, and Anthem outright wouldn't let me cancel my coverage in any way other than just disabling the automatic payments and ignoring all the letters they sent me warning that my coverage would lapse.

Did they tell you this on the phone?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plorkyeran posted:

Huh, I was assuming it's under the umbrella of medical debt.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Munkeymon posted:

Huh, I was assuming it's under the umbrella of medical debt.

For ACA plans at least, you pre-pay. So if you don't pay, you just don't have coverage. The weirdness comes in because you can send a payment in late and be retroactively covered.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Any GitHubbers? How's the culture these days.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Zero The Hero posted:

Heads up, you have a window to enroll in cobra retroactively, so you can sort of wait and see if you end up needing it. You shouldn't get any penalty for a 60 day lapse though unless you've already had another lapse.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

sarehu posted:

Did they tell you this on the phone?
Yes. The reason they gave was that with how they were interpreting the ACA's wording at the time they weren't actually legally allowed to do anything that could be viewed as an attempt to end my coverage as long as I kept paying for it. This was a few years ago and just a few months after the ACA went in to effect so maybe it's changed since?

Gounads posted:

For ACA plans at least, you pre-pay. So if you don't pay, you just don't have coverage. The weirdness comes in because you can send a payment in late and be retroactively covered.
Yeah, it's specifically set up so that it inherently can never be debt.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I have a non-health insurance question: When applying to jobs to an area I don't live in, should I put the address of where I would live
and when it comes down to hiring incentives, state that the address is where I would be after moving assistance?
Would I even have the opportunity to have moving assistance given I'm a newbie?

return0
Apr 11, 2007

mekkanare posted:

I have a non-health insurance question: When applying to jobs to an area I don't live in, should I put the address of where I would live
and when it comes down to hiring incentives, state that the address is where I would be after moving assistance?

Why not just put your real address?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

mekkanare posted:

Just say you're interested in moving to X in your cover letter.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

return0 posted:

Why not just put your real address?

Gounads posted:

Just say you're interested in moving to X in your cover letter.

Okay thanks. I figured putting the area down would help get past recruiter filters.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mekkanare posted:

Okay thanks. I figured putting the area down would help get past recruiter filters.

If you're hoping for moving expenses covered you don't want to get past that filter. Any company that would've filtered you out isn't going to pay to move you.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

pr0zac posted:

If you're hoping for moving expenses covered you don't want to get past that filter. Any company that would've filtered you out isn't going to pay to move you.

Also, they kind of expect you to be able to show up relatively soon for an interview on your own dime. Only worth doing if you're struggling.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Saw an interesting job opening ~2 weeks ago and applied, but it was a 2 week old ad, so didn't expect much.

Got an email on Saturday with a coding challenge, did that on Sunday. Set up a pair-programming interview with the tech lead a few minutes later, nailed it. Got another interview an hour later with the CEO, went pretty well. They told me they will make an offer either this week or next because their CTO is out. :toot:

Assuming it's a good offer, need to decide if I want to walk away from the company I co-founded. Thinking it's going to be a hard decision.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

need to decide if I want to walk away from the company I co-founded

Just wondering: why would you want to leave? Sounds cool, just based on that one line. Are you co-owner?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

rt4 posted:

Just wondering: why would you want to leave? Sounds cool, just based on that one line. Are you co-owner?

More than I'd want to get into here, but the main reason is I don't enjoy it anymore and it's not making me rich.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay you have my approval

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gounads posted:

Saw an interesting job opening ~2 weeks ago and applied, but it was a 2 week old ad, so didn't expect much.

Got an email on Saturday with a coding challenge, did that on Sunday. Set up a pair-programming interview with the tech lead a few minutes later, nailed it. Got another interview an hour later with the CEO, went pretty well. They told me they will make an offer either this week or next because their CTO is out. :toot:

Assuming it's a good offer, need to decide if I want to walk away from the company I co-founded. Thinking it's going to be a hard decision.

You've been applying to other jobs already, and you didn't mention that you co-founded your current company until the end of your post. I think you want to walk away.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Well, that was disappointing, no offer after all. Not sure what changed. They must have found someone better between then and now.

e: WTF. 18 minutes after getting rejected I get another email saying he talked with the CEO and they want me to interview with someone else.

Gounads fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 31, 2016

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gounads posted:

Well, that was disappointing, no offer after all. Not sure what changed. They must have found someone better between then and now.

e: WTF. 18 minutes after getting rejected I get another email saying he talked with the CEO and they want me to interview with someone else.

It's possible that they didn't want you for the job you applied for but thought you would be a good fit for another position.

Either that or it's a total clown show.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Ask them for more money

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gounads posted:

Nice neg strat

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

It's possible that they didn't want you for the job you applied for but thought you would be a good fit for another position.

Either that or it's a total clown show.

Red flag either way, in my opinion.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Total Clown Show

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The only thing that makes sense to me goes like this..

Guy A interviews me, he likes me.
Guy B (ceo) inteviews me, he likes me.

They say they're planning an offer.

Guy C interviews me, he doesn't like me.

They send rejection.

Guy A and Guy B talk, want to hire me anyways, and want to try again.

Oh well, another interview today. Wish me luck.

Necc0 posted:

Nice neg strat

I thought that too. Shatter confidence and send lowball offer. But I didn't get that vibe.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it a bad idea to learn the basics of a bunch of languages rather than going further in depth into one? Basically codecademy depth of knowledge plus one practical project.

For example, I know a good bit about Java, but now I'm doing a unity game, setting up a portfolio website with Django in the LAMP stack, and then I want to make another with the MEAN stack

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 1, 2016

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it a bad idea to learn the basics of a bunch of languages rather than going further in depth into one? Basically codecademy depth of knowledge plus one practical project.

For example, I know a good bit about Java, but now I'm doing a unity game, setting up a portfolio website with Django in the LAMP stack, and then I want to make another with the MEAN stack

Yes, that's a bad idea. On the other hand, you're always going to be more productive doing something you enjoy, and sometimes that means switching languages. Just make sure you're spending more time learning concepts than you are the specifics of string manipulation in new languages.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The most important skills are language agnostic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most important skills are language agnostic.

This is true, but if a new programmer is rapidly switching languages, he's likely spending more time learning language-specific implementation than the often higher-level language agnostic concepts.