Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A game starting out open world and getting more linear as it goes on tends to smack of running out of time/money towards the end (see Darksiders 2) so I guess some people are going to assume that's the real reason even after that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
kingsglaive was really dumb but fun enough that i'm looking forward to this game whenever the hell it's actually due out

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Well, it doesn't necessarily mean it will suck but it's highly likely to be a sign of running out of time / money. I just think they made the (correct) call to trim down scope of the last part of the game so they could focus on a quality experience. Flow wise I kind of prefer that over something that gets super open and doesn't have a hook to draw you to the finish but everyone has a different flavour they like.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, to give a recent (not at all) example, Xenoblade works the exact same way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Honestly it doesn't sound like the open world stuff goes away. The story just becomes more focused.

The first half being about learning about the world and the second half being a more structured story about (presumably) saving it is a pretty well worn approach.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Knowing their history with PC ports, I don't think playing this on PC will fix much if anything, but I really feel like this game needs a good 10 GB patch down the line to fix what look like some serious issues. Both the performance and graphics are off, and you can tell their removed a lot of detail to keep the performance above water. :/

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's explicitly why they're delaying it to November, to apply that patch beforehand.

e: They've also gone on record to say that if (when) they make a PC port, they don't want it to be... well, a port, but its own thing.

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 27, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Terper posted:

That's explicitly why they're delaying it to November, to apply that patch beforehand.

e: They've also gone on record to say that if (when) they make a PC port, they don't want it to be... well, a port, but its own thing.

Final Fantasy XV PC: The Nomura Cut.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Gologle posted:

Final Fantasy XV PC: The Nomura Cut.

Finally the Baz Luhrmann Final Fantasy experience I've been waiting for!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mokinokaro posted:

Honestly it doesn't sound like the open world stuff goes away. The story just becomes more focused.

The first half being about learning about the world and the second half being a more structured story about (presumably) saving it is a pretty well worn approach.

Kinda the reverse of VI then (even with the split paths in the first act). Which is actually preferable to me, because I love VI very much but by the time I rescue Terra again, I can't be arsed to go to every side quest (Gau excepted).

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Terper posted:

It takes them 2 months to apply a patch that presumable already exists? A process that if the game were released on Sep. 30th with the patch, would surely take less than an hour? :psyduck:

Legin Noslen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 27, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why do you presume the patch already exists

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Legin Noslen posted:

It takes them 2 months to apply a patch that presumable already exists? A process that if the game were released on Sep. 30th with the patch, would surely take less than an hour? :psyduck:

They have to apply the patch to physical copies, and there's more than enough of a sizable population that Final Fantasy targets that downloading a huge patch is a major hindrance (Especially with PSN's current speed infrastructure).

The weirdest reactions are people surprised Square is willing to sell past black friday when they give a gently caress less about american holidays than probably anyone else except Nintendo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Legin Noslen posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/19/gamescom-2016-why-final-fantasy-xv-was-delayed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The patch is most likely a smoke and mirrors excuse. The game just straight up is not ready to be played yet and needs additional time. I'm gonna hold off on buying FFXV, as in won't pre-order. The gameplay videos just are not impressing me, everything looks like a health sponge with battles that go on for too long, the driving looks tedious and annoying, and the performance issues from the demo included with Type-0 HD have me worried. Ideally the performance issues won't be there in the final release but that is what holding off on pre-ordering is for to make sure.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I said come in! posted:

The patch is most likely a smoke and mirrors excuse. The game just straight up is not ready to be played yet and needs additional time.

This is absolutely my suspicion. I would not be in any way shocked if it were pushed into next year.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A FFXV with a stable 30 FPS and non-knee-capped graphics is looking like a Canadian girlfriend.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ufarn posted:

A FFXV with a stable 30 FPS and non-knee-capped graphics is looking like a Canadian girlfriend.

Good in cold weather? Fluent in French?

Is this an American English idiom that us foolish Brits don't get?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Very pretty.

Justice Monsters V is releasing on the 30th, by the way. As is Kingsglaive, digitally. And it's also Noctis's birthday! Hooray.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Good in cold weather? Fluent in French?

Is this an American English idiom that us foolish Brits don't get?
It's an American thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is that some new york/baltimore thing because I never heard of that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if youve never heard of a canadian girlfriend then you are the canadian girlfriend

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The patch excuse lines up with the timeframe, if the game was in an unplayable state currently, two months would not at all be enough time to fix it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So someones on /v/ dropping more "spoilers" But frankly it just sounds like poo poo taken from the various trailers and footage we've seen, collaborating with previous "leaks" and then with some other retarded poo poo thrown in.

For someone who's supposedly so involved in the product he's seen the whole game, him saying "Lucis isn't explorable" when that's the name of the region you start the game in, so... the place you explore almost completely. So he could have meant that Insomnia, the Crown City, wasn't explorable, but again, for someone who's supposedly so close to the game, you could expect getting basic details correct.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Have there been any carbuncle summon prizes aside from SE points and the yellow car skin?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Have there been any carbuncle summon prizes aside from SE points and the yellow car skin?

I saw someone mention somewhere that they won enough to buy the Season Pass from Square Enix's site...so about $25, I think?

It might've been here or on Reddit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tabata went into more detail on why 15 was delayed, and he threw out one statistic that said 20% of japanese gamers don't have internet and probably won't download a day 1 patch. So there you go. Ultimately still targeting the japanese.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

Tabata went into more detail on why 15 was delayed, and he threw out one statistic that said 20% of japanese gamers don't have internet and probably won't download a day 1 patch. So there you go. Ultimately still targeting the japanese.

Well lets be fair, the Japanese are the ones who can firebomb their offices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The number is probably not appreciably different in the US, especially if qualify internet to mean 'high-speed internet' or 'no bandwidth caps.'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The number is probably not appreciably different in the US, especially if qualify internet to mean 'high-speed internet' or 'no bandwidth caps.'

Or "Not WPA2 Enterprise" internet, which is what my apartment building uses.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Really? Japan felt more connected than USA at times when I visited a long time ago. I'm still waiting for my affordable high-speed internet here.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/us/

This has the US around 88% for "individuals who can access the internet at home" but that's the whole population, including presumably things like dial-up (which 3% still used in 2014) or people who just have a smartphone but no landline. When you filter it to whatever they mean by gamers, who knows.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Statistics aside, the patch excuse almost definitely is a hasty cover-up for poor performance in the game's final stretch. Two months also likely won't be enough to fix all but the very worst of it, so launch day should be interesting for everybody.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Statistics aside, the patch excuse almost definitely is a hasty cover-up for poor performance in the game's final stretch. Two months also likely won't be enough to fix all but the very worst of it, so launch day should be interesting for everybody.

How is it a cover-up when it's explicitly said that was the reason (and why the patch was needed on september?)

quote:

Speaking with Famitsu, Tabata talked about the delay. Some of the reasons will be obvious, but not all.

“For starters,” Tabata told Famitsu, “the optimization isn’t [yet] sufficient. There are also various bugs as well as places in which the frame rate drops.” He says that some of the bugs won’t impede with game progress, but adds, “There are still of number of bugs like characters floating unnaturally in the air or appearing all strange [and glitchy].”

As Kotaku previously mentioned, there is a significant amount of optimization and cleaning up that can be done in the next few months.

“We are going to fix the issues,” Tabata assured, adding, “Another thing is that I also wanted to refine the game balance.”

According to Tabata, one of the big reasons for this delay, however, is that not every everyone who is going to play FFXV has their console connected to the internet. They may have a console, they may have the internet, but the two are apparently not connected. (Data Tabata sourced said that number is over twenty percent of Japanese gamers!) Thus, there actually might be players who do not download a day-one patch. The delay is to get the game in good shape for all players at release.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
who wants to take bets on the final game having a big day one patch anyways

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This game is going to be a huge mess I can't wait

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, it's not that bad so far?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

CharlestonJew posted:

who wants to take bets on the final game having a big day one patch anyways
I'm counting on, and looking forward to, it. There are usually weeks between a game being "done" and release; why wouldn't you, as the developer, take that time to improve the game further? Once they've reached whatever baseline-acceptable standard they're aiming for for everyone who buys the disc, why not try to make it even better even if it's "just" for the benefit of a small majority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Besides all that effort won't be wasted when they rerelease it in a year on 3 new and more powerful systems.

• Locked thread