Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Euthanize is base-game, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Euthanize is base-game, isn't it?

Honestly I'm not sure, I'm modded up to the gills and don't remember seeing it before last night, but I think the -2 loss for euthanizing a colonist is a little low.

At any rate, gently caress the loving fucker I'm glad he's dead and I hope he rots.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yep, euthanasia is vanilla. I would imagine the lower mood penalty is because it's euthanasia; putting a colonist who got the Johnny Got His Gun treatment out of his misery is genuinely a less horrible option than keeping the poor sod alive.

Any fun crack-colony stories yet?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 29, 2016

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Things I missed in the tutorial. Whoops!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hunters will no longer hunt without a ranged weapon.

Dammit

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You should have just joy wired the guy you sick gently caress.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yep, euthanasia is vanilla. I would imagine the lower mood penalty is because it's euthanasia; putting a colonist who got the Johnny Got His Gun treatment out of his misery is genuinely a less horrible option than keeping the poor sod alive.
I just googled "Johnny Got His Gun" and it gave me a sick little giggle - good post.

Euthanise being in the vanilla makes a lot of sense actually, I've just never seen it as an option before because I've never tried to add operations to an already hospitalised colonist, but given you can loose both legs and a spine it's easier than locking the hospital room and cracking up the AC.

Is it based off quality of life? I can imagine there is a higher penalty if the person is healthy compared to my scared depressive one armed, footless colonist with only one kidney and half the remaining digits he should have.

Also, I feel I should touch a little on the dudes girlfriend, Emmie, who is probably the most hosed up colonist spawn I've ever seen.

Emmie sought refuge with the colony with pirates hot on her heels. She was non-violent, but pretty good at cooking and cleaning and beautiful, everyone loved her - including Mr Rasputin whose marriage proposal she rejected netting the crippling -25 mood loss that eventually lead to his death so ultimately it's her fault Johnny did him in.

She was 14 years old and her backstory was.... sex slave. :stonk:

At one point, her fifty year old husband showed up as a pirate, not sure if from the same group she was running from at the start but I'll go out on a limb and say she ran away. Now usually when relatives show up, I'll go so far as to save scum in order to capture them and recruit them into the colony. Not this time, Johnnys charge rifle blew off a leg and he was chewed to death by a fox.

I love this game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAmTheRad posted:

Day 3 of a tribal start? Not going to butcher him when my entire tribe is already sad.

Squeegy posted:

Might as well let him bleed out on the ground if you're not gonna harvest him.

There's no mood penalty for leaving a raider to die after you've shot him.

Also Euthanise is a vanilla operation and the -2 penalty is intended. You're supposed to put them down gently rather than make them suffer if they're for sure gonna die (read: extreme torso infection you got to a little too late).

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 29, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Squeegy posted:

There's no mood penalty for leaving a raider to die after you've shot him.

I strongly support the inclusion of a gallows that can be used to execute all so-marked prisoners in an event that has the same mechanics and a somewhat weaker effect than the party.

Or a guillotine! We need to bring some loving Frontier Justice to this benighted mudball.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

You should have just joy wired the guy you sick gently caress.
Well I was wondering if lobotomising was an option.

Bugger, should have done this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LonsomeSon posted:

I strongly support the inclusion of a gallows that can be used to execute all so-marked prisoners in an event that has the same mechanics and a somewhat weaker effect than the party.

Or a guillotine! We need to bring some loving Frontier Justice to this benighted mudball.

Colonists are an enlightened, reasonable people, not dirt-minded peasants. Bloodlust pawns might take joy in that, but considering they already expect you to abide by the Geneva Convention I doubt they're interested in your gorey spectacles. :colbert:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

Mood loss if the prisoner didn't hurt nobody, and for non-violent colonists.

"Justice was done" bonus if they hurt/killed anyone, extra mood bonus to anyone they injured, or any friends of the injured/deceased.

Bloodlusted colonists get a massive "Got to attend an execution" bonus, or a season lasting "got to be an executioner" bonus.

Psychopaths get no bonuses.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 29, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

As previously mentioned this is one of the backer characters Tynan was obligated to add, having not considered how hosed up some of the people willing to throw money at him would be.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aleth posted:

As previously mentioned this is one of the backer characters Tynan was obligated to add, having not considered how hosed up some of the people willing to throw money at him would be.

he had the option of sending a refund rather than put that cringey garbage in his game. it's jarring enough that it looked out of place even before I realised he'd kickstarted it.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

What sort of mood hits would I take if I were to harvest some of those legless waste of space colonists organs before I euthanise them?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To be perfectly fair I don't think backstory backers choose their traits or age so the fact that she rolled as a beautiful 14-year-old was a coincidence and the fact that she had a 55-year-old husband was a fluke. So that guy was just being super edgy and kinda sexist.

Makes for a hell of a story, though, which means it's working as intended.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I'm liking the drug system. Some of my colonists were in intense, constant pain from fibrous mechanites when all of a sudden a cargo pod full of smoke leaf dropped in from the sky.

From constant pain and almost always about to have a major breakdown to being the happiest colony members.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
TCC success story

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Why the flip am I getting food poisoning from eating pemmican now, in tribal starts? Did not ever use to happen in A14...

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Why the flip am I getting food poisoning from eating pemmican now, in tribal starts? Did not ever use to happen in A14...

It can happen on anything I think. Maybe if it was made with rotten meat?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I've had Emmie the sex slave show up in two different games so far (out of like six)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Snatch Duster posted:

It can happen on anything I think. Maybe if it was made with rotten meat?

I've had food poisoning fairly regularly and I'm sure I never use rotten meat or let food lie long enough unfrozen. Either random or tied to cooking skill maybe?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Walton Simons posted:

I've had food poisoning fairly regularly and I'm sure I never use rotten meat or let food lie long enough unfrozen. Either random or tied to cooking skill maybe?

It takes into account cleanliness of the room the food is made and stored in

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Has anyone else had any issues with animal AI in A15? Animals seem to get stuck in a location if set on Unrestricted. I had my lab almost starve to death because it wouldn't leave this barren, burnt out area to go back to my base to get food. My wife had a group of yorkies join her who would not move from the part of the map they came in on and were starting to starve.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Azhais posted:

Also cooking skill I think?
If you look at a pawns in depth stats it should have a food poisoning chance one.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Azhais posted:

Oh wow, that explains a lot.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You still have to store the raw materials though, unless you are sustinence farming a tiny little plot and rarely have extra left over.

Some of the other posters have aleady weghed in, but I'll go more in depth. I usually make two small food plots straight off, 5x5 I tihnk I did last time, one corn and one rice. Rice keeps for 30 or 40 days unrefrigerated as long as it's indoors, and corn's like 60. By the time my pemmican's running out the first rice harvest is close to being ready and my fueled stove is up and running. After the first rice harvest I switch it to corn, so if my cook's slacking for any reason colonists can eat it with no mood penalty.

If I do run low on pemmican and the rice is still a ways off I'll kill a couple small animals to bang out a couple simple meals. I've been using the colony manager to handle my hunting the past few games, so I just set the threshold for meat extremely low, like 25 or 50, to minimize spoilage. Just make sure to turn off hunting for any really dangerous animals and/or ones you want to tame for breeding/hauling.

E; On the subject of breeding, I've had good success in my latest game. Got a chinchilla, chicken, and alpaca farm going; along with a pack of wild boars, a couple elephants, and the huskies I started with. The only thing that's holding me back now is my CPU wanting to melt down if I up the thresholds in colony manager higher than 10 females and 2 males for making babies for most everything. Female chickens I have set to 25 with only 1 rooster, so I get a steady supply of unfertilized eggs to cook with.

The chinchilla fur and alpaca wool sell really well, and I use the pig skin for most of my colonists' furniture. There's a steady supply of meat and eggs to sustain my colonists with lavish meals, and I'm up to like 15 pawns now. The hardest part is keeping things clean. I've got my hauling animals forbidden from pretty much every indoor space because they just track poo poo everywhere. I gave them a large low priority stockpile at the entrance of the main base to haul things to, and my colonists take it the rest of the way to any crafting areas. The farm animals are all confined to a barn with a large grazing area, it's a nightmare of animal filth, amniotic fluid, blood, and dirt. Every time a cleaner makes it over there it's a black hole that uses up the rest of his day, and his work is completely undone by the next morning; it's a literal poo poo show.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Squeegy posted:

To be perfectly fair I don't think backstory backers choose their traits or age so the fact that she rolled as a beautiful 14-year-old was a coincidence and the fact that she had a 55-year-old husband was a fluke. So that guy was just being super edgy and kinda sexist.

Makes for a hell of a story, though, which means it's working as intended.

Traits, no, but every time I've seen Emmie she's been under 18 so I have a feeling the backer specified that.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Oh wow, that explains a lot.

Well, time to build even MORE sterile floors.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Traits, no, but every time I've seen Emmie she's been under 18 so I have a feeling the backer specified that.

Rest easy, I've definitely had Emmie be over 50 in one of my games

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Huh, wow I didn't know that, guess I maybe shouldn't keep all my food outside in a dirt cave then.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Looking back, it does seem a bit silly to store my food near those dead bodies I hadn't dug graves for yet.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, wow I didn't know that, guess I maybe shouldn't keep all my food outside in a dirt cave then.

heh that explains the constant food poisoning even though I had a skill 12 chef

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So does this mean I should make a separate "meat locker" for the animal bodies I haven't butchered yet?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Khisanth Magus posted:

So does this mean I should make a separate "meat locker" for the animal bodies I haven't butchered yet?

Honestly you can just pile animal bodies up outside. It's really unlikely you're going to have so many that you can't butcher them before they go bad. Butchering a freshly killed corpse and butchering a corpse that's 0.1 hours away from rotting gives exactly the same meat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think it just means you put some tile down and sweep the fridge once in awhile, jeez.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

tuyop posted:

I think it just means you put some tile down and sweep the fridge once in awhile, jeez.

You're not my dad :mad:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, I keep all my food in like a 3x10 locker with its own cooler and an airlock between it and the kitchen, and I never have any problems. Obviously early on it's not a high priority, but once I have a big dining/sleeping area built my next priority is getting a kitchen/butcher room, then building the prepped food locker between them.

I went with an even smaller food locker this time, like 3x5, since skullywag's tray lockers are only 2x1 and I only really need 5 of them, one for each type of perishable meal. They each hold at least 100 of each, and my cook's bill is set to hit 100, pause, and resume cooking once I get below 25 meals for lavish and fine meals. I only keep 50/10 simple meals stocked in case I suddenly find myself without meat somehow.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I'm just waiting until Tynan eventually nerfs frozen food.

"You have researched the microwave oven!"

edit: With the expanded drug system, I'm interested to see what modding possibilities have been opened up. With marijuana, crack, meth, and cocaine already in as well as some fantasy drugs, it should be relatively easy to get stuff like coffee and tobacco. Maybe even stuff like LSD which induces a minor mental break in exchange for a random mood modifier. Or something like steroids, which gives increasing physical buffs and health debuffs as addiction builds up. What about some kind of amnesia drug that puts a colonist in a short coma, but wipes all their moodlets, social stats and bonds? Hell, some fantasy health potion made of nanites that regenerates wounds at the risk of brain damage would be cool.

Elth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I just started playing a day ago.

I finally got a colony actually running. No raiders with grenade launchers, food infrastructure is solid enough to last through winter, everyone has heating and cooling options in their stupidly large rooms, and my turret defenses please me greatly.

Is that all gone with the update? I guess my bad for having auto-updates on, but is there some option to update a save file or what?